[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87743 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2020, 02:47:11 PM »
Where is Jay Wright's name? He's a candidate for every opening.  ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »

Heer's hour chance, aina?

Nah. No coach in his right mind would ever leave Marquette for a worse-than-mediocre ACC job. It's never ever happened, and it never will.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2020, 04:46:24 PM »
Nah. No coach in his right mind would ever leave Marquette for a worse-than-mediocre ACC job. It's never ever happened, and it never will.

A big Tim Duncan and Chris Paul fan might?
Maigh Eo for Sam

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2020, 05:01:50 PM »
LOL. Well played.

FWIW, good or bad, nothing about Wojo on the WF fan board.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1254099334951571456?s=21

Names for Wake Forest targets & more to come/cross-off as we hear them.
Wes Miller
Steve Forbes
Pat Kelsey
Ryan Odom
Shaka Smart
Steve Wojciechowski
Mark Prosser
LaVall Jordan
Eric Konkol

Dark Horse
Kelvin Sampson
John Beilein

My pick would be Dark Horse. Native Americans are grossly  under represented in the coaching ranks of college basketball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2020, 06:35:25 PM »
My pick would be Dark Horse. Native Americans are grossly  under represented in the coaching ranks of college basketball.
Now that's some funny sh!t. Thanks.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »

This was fantastic.

And I actually do think it'll be Beilein, just based on the odd timing of Manning's firing.  Coming off of the NBA disappointment, he can restart in a great conference (and one of the few that he hasn't coached in), but with relatively low expectations from day one.  And Wake can pay him a very good salary - not the highest, for sure, but I highly doubt money is going to dictate his moves from this point on in his career. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2020, 08:05:09 PM »
This was fantastic.

And I actually do think it'll be Beilein, just based on the odd timing of Manning's firing.  Coming off of the NBA disappointment, he can restart in a great conference (and one of the few that he hasn't coached in), but with relatively low expectations from day one.  And Wake can pay him a very good salary - not the highest, for sure, but I highly doubt money is going to dictate his moves from this point on in his career. 
This was fantastic.

I'm no Wake Forest insider but there has been no talk of him on their Scoop.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
I'm no Wake Forest insider but there has been no talk of him on their Scoop.

I don't think they can afford Beilein. Donor ponied up for the buyout, but Beilein would likely command twice the salary they'd be willing to offer.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #259 on: April 25, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
Why'd you give guru your password?
Post of the week
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2020, 08:30:59 PM »
Goal is National Championship

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2020, 08:56:08 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
4m
Wake Forest has parted ways with Danny Manning, sources told @Stadium

Wake Forest has been less than Wake Forest for more than a decade.  When Wake hired Manning it was considered a very good hire nationally and it did not work out.   Why do some people want to roll the dice and get into a Wake Forest situation of a decade or more of bad results?

Wake has the benefit of ACC football money.  Marquette does not. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #262 on: April 25, 2020, 09:34:46 PM »
Wake Forest has been less than Wake Forest for more than a decade.  When Wake hired Manning it was considered a very good hire nationally and it did not work out.   Why do some people want to roll the dice and get into a Wake Forest situation of a decade or more of bad results?

Wake has the expense of paying for P5 football too.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:37:10 PM by WhiteTrash »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #263 on: April 25, 2020, 09:56:40 PM »

Skip Prosser’s death was a tragedy and one that shook the foundation of WFU basketball. Dino Gaudio did a very respectable job carrying on for Prosser taking them to the tourney twice and winning one game. Then a new AD fired Gaufio to being in his buddy, Jeff Bzdelik and the program has never been the same.

MU is a much better job than Wake. Wake is a small, private school with high academic standards in a conference dominated by a Duke and large public schools with low academic standards and huge budgets. You need a special player, like Childress, Duncan, Paul or Aminu to fall yo you to win at at Wake and those are few and far between.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #264 on: April 25, 2020, 10:22:06 PM »
Skip Prosser’s death was a tragedy and one that shook the foundation of WFU basketball. Dino Gaudio did a very respectable job carrying on for Prosser taking them to the tourney twice and winning one game. Then a new AD fired Gaufio to being in his buddy, Jeff Bzdelik and the program has never been the same.

MU is a much better job than Wake. Wake is a small, private school with high academic standards in a conference dominated by a Duke and large public schools with low academic standards and huge budgets. You need a special player, like Childress, Duncan, Paul or Aminu to fall yo you to win at at Wake and those are few and far between.

I’m not sure UNC, UVA, Boston College, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, or VT (in addition to Duke who you mentioned) really have “low academic standards.” Roughly half of the conference.

Also, Chicos talking with Chicos.

Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2020, 10:50:36 PM »
I’m not sure UNC, UVA, Boston College, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, or VT (in addition to Duke who you mentioned) really have “low academic standards.” Roughly half of the conference.

I believe NC State is pretty good also.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2020, 10:57:48 PM »
I believe NC State is pretty good also.

Yeah I wasn’t certain on some of the other schools. Syracuse has a good journalism school but I don’t know about the rest of the school.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #267 on: April 26, 2020, 01:41:41 AM »

UNC? Um, ok. And for athletics, most of those are not large public schools (except for VPU, and Buzz wouldn’t have gone there if they had academic standards for athletes).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #268 on: April 26, 2020, 07:20:53 AM »
Wake Forest has been less than Wake Forest for more than a decade.

From 1940-1990, Wake Forest scattered 7 NCAA appearances across the decades. From 1991-2005, they went 12 times in 15 years. Then back to 3 in the last 15.

I'd argue that Wake Forest hasn't been less than Wake Forest for more than a decade, I'd argue they were more than Wake Forest for 15 years and have reverted to what they are.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #269 on: April 26, 2020, 07:41:18 AM »
From 1940-1990, Wake Forest scattered 7 NCAA appearances across the decades. From 1991-2005, they went 12 times in 15 years. Then back to 3 in the last 15.

I'd argue that Wake Forest hasn't been less than Wake Forest for more than a decade, I'd argue they were more than Wake Forest for 15 years and have reverted to what they are.

Remember for a large portion of this time, only the ACC tournament champion was given an NCAA bid.  So if you go back to 1940, a number of teams aren't going to look all that good.

But from 1980 to 2010, they were NCAA tournament participants more often than not.  They were NCAA participants more than Marquette was over the same time frame.

They have all the infrastructure in place to be successful in the ACC.  Don't you think they can mimic what Tony Bennett has done at Virginia *IF* they hire the right guy?  Because I would argue that Wake's basketball history was better than UVa's prior to Bennett.

Wake:  1 Final Four, 6 Elite 8s, 9 S16s, five conference tournament championships, five regular season championships.
Virginia: 2 Final Fours, 5 Elite 8s, 7 S16s, one conference tournament championship, six regular season championships
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2020, 08:21:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1254099334951571456?s=21

Names for Wake Forest targets & more to come/cross-off as we hear them.
Wes Miller
Steve Forbes
Pat Kelsey
Ryan Odom
Shaka Smart
Steve Wojciechowski
Mark Prosser
LaVall Jordan
Eric Konkol

Dark Horse
Kelvin Sampson
John Beilein

I think if you’re Wake your first two calls, if not Beilein, are Wes Miller and Forbes if that list is to be believed.

Some puzzling names on there.

Konkol? Took over a back to back conference champ program and has done nothing with it. Hasn’t sniffed the postseason of any sort.

Mark Prosser? I know the Skip continuation story is nice, but he’s literally done nothing to merit consideration. He’s been at the low major level his whole career and barely scratched the surface at WCU.

Pat Kelsey had 2 mid major jobs fall through but now after no significant improvement he’s ready to jump to a top 2 basketball conference?

Ryan Odom would be a shoe in if it was last year. But he’s been eh since that glorious 2018 tourney.

Moton from NC Central should be a dark horse, but I imagine he won’t be. He’s got all the bonafides you need and in state

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2020, 08:30:56 AM »
Going from the MEAC to the ACC is probably too large of a jump.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »
Are we really not worried about Wojo jumping ship closer to his roots?  I wouldn't count it out.

Why wouldn't he?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2020, 09:17:55 AM »
Are we really not worried about Wojo jumping ship closer to his roots?  I wouldn't count it out.

Why wouldn't he?

We don’t want to get our hopes up just yet

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2020, 09:44:51 AM »
UNC? Um, ok. And for athletics, most of those are not large public schools (except for VPU, and Buzz wouldn’t have gone there if they had academic standards for athletes).

You are wrong. UNC is a well regarded , highly rated academic university.

feedback