[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87733 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »
There have been rumblings, and it's starting to get more legs that Wake fired Manning for cause..may be why it took so long. I think Wake is just trying to get out of the buyout. This could get really interesting.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2020, 09:47:00 AM »
Kevin Ollie 2.0.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2020, 09:51:38 AM »
There have been rumblings, and it's starting to get more legs that Wake fired Manning for cause..may be why it took so long. I think Wake is just trying to get out of the buyout. This could get really interesting.

It could.  But unless they really have something on him, they will likely have to pay even more.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2020, 09:52:28 AM »
You are wrong. UNC is a well regarded , highly rated academic university.

This is true, which is why it was especially odious that for years they funneled athletes into fake classes to keep them eligible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
Surprised Wake wouldn’t be interested in Brian Wardle
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
Are we really not worried about Wojo jumping ship closer to his roots?  I wouldn't count it out.

Why wouldn't he?

Considering the number of candidates with strong ties to the program that would have significantly lower buyouts than Wojo, I doubt we'll hear him connected to Wake.

Remember for a large portion of this time, only the ACC tournament champion was given an NCAA bid.  So if you go back to 1940, a number of teams aren't going to look all that good.

But from 1980 to 2010, they were NCAA tournament participants more often than not.  They were NCAA participants more than Marquette was over the same time frame.

They have all the infrastructure in place to be successful in the ACC.  Don't you think they can mimic what Tony Bennett has done at Virginia *IF* they hire the right guy?  Because I would argue that Wake's basketball history was better than UVa's prior to Bennett.

Wake:  1 Final Four, 6 Elite 8s, 9 S16s, five conference tournament championships, five regular season championships.
Virginia: 2 Final Fours, 5 Elite 8s, 7 S16s, one conference tournament championship, six regular season championships

Fair points, but I think people in the 35-50 age range might overvalue Wake's history because they were good during our formative years of watching basketball. Tim Duncan, Chris Paul, Dave Odom, & Skip Prosser are fondly remembered. But the Odom/Prosser tenure accounted for more than half their NCAA appearances. It's essentially their Al McGuire/Hank Raymonds stretch without anything significant afterwards.

I don't think Wake has the resources and support a large state school like UVA does. I guess we'll see, but they're a small school in a big league and at best the fourth most prominent program in their state. It's not impossible, but I think circumstances (especially with the addition of Louisville, Syracuse, ND, etc since they were last good) have made Wake one of the toughest high major jobs in the sport.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2020, 10:31:50 AM »
UNC? Um, ok. And for athletics, most of those are not large public schools (except for VPU, and Buzz wouldn’t have gone there if they had academic standards for athletes).

Uhm, yes, UNC. They are a very strong academic institution.

But I agree. You claimed that outside of Duke the ACC is filled with large public institutions that have low academic standards. Thank you for backtracking on that. It’s simply false. A few large public institutions with low academic standards? Sure. Certainly not what you originally claimed.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:35:44 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
Brew you can say that about any team that had a golden era.  Basketball is all about runs/periods of time of success.  Outside of the blue bloods it’s periods of bliss and periods of being mediocre. 

The reality is any school in a P6 conference has the capability to be elite for a run with the right coach and the willingness to spend money. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
large public schools with low academic standards

Yea...UVA, Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Notre Dame, BC, Pitt are such diploma mills...

Death on call

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2020, 10:59:13 AM »
Considering the number of candidates with strong ties to the program that would have significantly lower buyouts than Wojo, I doubt we'll hear him connected to Wake.

Fair points, but I think people in the 35-50 age range might overvalue Wake's history because they were good during our formative years of watching basketball. Tim Duncan, Chris Paul, Dave Odom, & Skip Prosser are fondly remembered. But the Odom/Prosser tenure accounted for more than half their NCAA appearances. It's essentially their Al McGuire/Hank Raymonds stretch without anything significant afterwards.

I don't think Wake has the resources and support a large state school like UVA does. I guess we'll see, but they're a small school in a big league and at best the fourth most prominent program in their state. It's not impossible, but I think circumstances (especially with the addition of Louisville, Syracuse, ND, etc since they were last good) have made Wake one of the toughest high major jobs in the sport.

Under Carl Tracy they went to Elite 8s twice in eight years.  '77 against Marquette and '84 against Houston. 

I agree with you that it will be harder to compete in today's ACC, but they aren't a bad program.  They can do much better than they did under Manning.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #285 on: April 26, 2020, 11:07:32 AM »
Woj just re-mulched his crib. Ain't goin' nowhere, unless he's fittin' ta sell?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
Woj just re-mulched his crib. Ain't goin' nowhere, unless he's fittin' ta sell?

"Yeah, I would be intested in your coaching job, but I just remulched my place.  <sigh>  Would you reimburse me for that as part of my contract?"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2020, 11:58:04 AM »

Yep, I agree. That's certainly got to be a heart-breaker for a large faction of Scoopdom.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2020, 01:39:01 PM »

As an institution, yes. For athlete admission and academics once on campus, no.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2020, 01:49:59 PM »
Yea...UVA, Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Notre Dame, BC, Pitt are such diploma mills...

How many of those have limited athlete admission slots like Wake for those below a certain threshold? BC and....

I’m sure all of Miami’s football players are rocking 30’s on their ACT’s and Syracuse is telling their other coaches “don’t even bother” for hoops recruits. It’s like Northwestern in the Big Ten and Stanford in the PAC 12; they have much leniency with admission than the rest of their conference peers. For athletics the ACC is loaded, for the most part, with large public schools with low academic standards. But keep arguing for the sake of arguing.  Next up you’ll resort to defending Wisconsin’s academic rigor for athletics.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2020, 02:28:18 PM »

So...just like any other high major division 1 college athletics department not named Stanford and maybe one or two others?

Well dang Cheeks.  You're right then.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2020, 02:29:34 PM »
How many of those have limited athlete admission slots like Wake for those below a certain threshold? BC and....

I’m sure all of Miami’s football players are rocking 30’s on their ACT’s and Syracuse is telling their other coaches “don’t even bother” for hoops recruits. It’s like Northwestern in the Big Ten and Stanford in the PAC 12; they have much leniency with admission than the rest of their conference peers. For athletics the ACC is loaded, for the most part, with large public schools with low academic standards. But keep arguing for the sake of arguing.  Next up you’ll resort to defending Wisconsin’s academic rigor for athletics.

You're simply wrong.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2020, 02:36:37 PM »

Just not so much in African-American Studies.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2020, 09:04:19 PM »
UNC just like Stanford Northwestern Michigan Virginia etc. High Quality institution for everyone who is not an athlete. Athlete Admission and ongoing standards are much lower.

Michigan in fact was one of the first to make their athletic department a separate legal entity, that issued its own debt etc. 

The UNC alum base are still PO about the whole athletic academic scandal. So are the UNC non athletic  students as the University has pursued a misguided policy of grade deflation to remedy the faux paus of the athletic department. Yet UNC Athletics happily goes on with a $500 million capital campaign ....
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Class71

• All American
« Reply #294 on: April 26, 2020, 11:19:27 PM »
Keep spamming this. Also your signature picture is too small I cant see it. Belien will be 68 next year. With the coaching change I'd assume we would be utter trash next year and probably not good in year 2. So john would be 70 in the first year most would start to expect success? What is the long term picture you see?? Is the guy gonna coach till hes 80? How much did he make with the cavs.? Hes not coming to a smallish private school to rebuild marquette basketball. Pull your head out of your ass. What do you see that makes this sound at all realistic

It appears your personal attacks will convince everyone that you are once again correct.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2020, 11:29:30 PM »
So...just like any other high major division 1 college athletics department not named Stanford and maybe one or two others?

Well dang Cheeks.  You're right then.

Now he is Cheeks again?  Does this moniker transfer from day to day?

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

🏀

• All American
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2020, 06:30:50 AM »
Now he is Cheeks again?  Does this moniker transfer from day to day?

What’s a Chico’s?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #297 on: April 27, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »
Two names the WF insider said are definitely in the mix at WF, that no one has talked about are: Tommy Amaker and he said the leading candidate right now, might very well be Thad Matta.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #298 on: April 27, 2020, 12:29:05 PM »
Two names the WF insider said are definitely in the mix at WF, that no one has talked about are: Tommy Amaker and he said the leading candidate right now, might very well be Thad Matta.

My first thought was Amaker has a good thing going at Harvard but given the Ivy League restrictions on certain eligibility issues, I can see why he’d have a wandering eye. 

Matta surprises me because it is a difficult job to succeed at and he’ll have to be 100% physically
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #299 on: April 27, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »
Wake also has a medical school, which is great considering Amacher's wife's career as well.

feedback