[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87762 times)

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2020, 06:13:09 PM »
‘Make Marquette Great Again’

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
And Wojo has been at MU for 6 years and hasn't done squat unless you count the last 2 years extreme meltdowns at season's end. So we know his MO very well.
I’m not following your response to my post...

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2020, 08:51:24 PM »
Recent guys like Beilein Beard and Bo Ryan make me think the coaching gap isn't as big as people imagine

There isn't necessarily a coaching gap, if any.  X's and O's basketball is all the same, along with motivation.  Difference between a D3 and D1 coach usually is the recruiting component.  Not all coaches want to spend their lives recruiting players, etc.  Some just don't care for the salesman aspect of it.  There are coaches who like to coach and teach.  That's it.  You could find a lot of guys in D3 who would outcoach Wojo.  Many of the good coaches stay at their respective schools and are always getting offered.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »
There isn't necessarily a coaching gap, if any.  X's and O's basketball is all the same, along with motivation.  Difference between a D3 and D1 coach usually is the recruiting component.  Not all coaches want to spend their lives recruiting players, etc.  Some just don't care for the salesman aspect of it.  There are coaches who like to coach and teach.  That's it.  You could find a lot of guys in D3 who would outcoach Wojo.  Many of the good coaches stay at their respective schools and are always getting offered.

No. I can pretty much guaranty you that “many” D3 coaches aren’t getting offered D1 jobs. They may be “always getting offers” from other D3 or low level D2 programs.  But D1 programs?  Nope.

Look at Jack Bennett. He won multiple national championships at Stevens Point. Brother of Dick. Uncle of Tony.  Really wanted the UWM job. Never got an interview.

I watch a lot of D3 basketball. The idea that there are a bunch of coaching gurus who just don’t want to deal with the hassles of D1 is laughable. Most would take a D1 job in a heartbeat. And increase their salary by a factor of ten in the process.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2020, 09:36:44 PM »

I watch a lot of D3 basketball.

I’ve never heard these words mentioned before.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2020, 10:19:33 PM »
given the recruits coming is and the present roster, I doubt it would be wise to hire another white guy

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2020, 10:19:54 PM »
given the recruits coming is and the present roster, I doubt it would be wise to hire another white guy

Wtf?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »

Hiring a D2 guy worked for Missouri, why not drop down another level. Oh, wait...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Anderson_(basketball)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2020, 10:35:34 PM »
Things didn’t work out for Kim Anderson but in some fairness, he did inherit Frank Haith’s NCAA violations and a mess.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2020, 10:47:47 PM »
Faust. Gerry Faust.

One of the finest basketball minds ever was Morgan Wooten. Wooten was offered many college jobs - NC State, Wake, Duke, Georgetown, UVA - but he turned them all down.

And while he said the only job he would leave DeMatha for was Maryland he was also on record that he wasn't sure his success at high school would translate at the collegiate level.

Marquette needs to find someone from DI. 

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2020, 10:54:11 PM »
I'm not a No Wardle guy, but he's not at the top of my list. If we end up with a vacancy, shoot for the stars, you can always get Wardle if other options don't work out.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2020, 11:10:26 PM »
I'm not a No Wardle guy, but he's not at the top of my list. If we end up with a vacancy, shoot for the stars, you can always get Wardle if other options don't work out.
I’d take Moser over Wardle.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2020, 11:16:19 PM »
I’d take Moser over Wardle.

Not me. Moser has one NCAA appearance in 16 years and wouldn't have earned an auto-bid. He also only has one NIT bid, so it's not like he's been killing it at the mid-major level. He's Shaka Smart. One great run is the entirety of his career.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2020, 10:07:45 AM »
Suspect other schools  including have the same thoughts about wojo.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »
4ever

Count me in as a no Wardle guy as well. I literally cannot believe that his name would even be mentioned.
Why not Goose
 Wojo gets his name mentioned a lot around here, and we know how that is working out.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »

Bingo! Aim high and aim often first. Make everyone say no. You can always circle back to Wardle...although that would make me cringe worthy to be honest. Still in lock step with you that IF he's healthy I'd love Thad Matta. I suppose Rick Pitino would be a non starter for MU.  8-)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
Are you high?    Pointers are not even that high on  Semling as a diiii coach.  You think he’s a way Wojo replacement - that’s rich.   

[q b uote author=Galway Eagle link=topic=60169.msg1218168#msg1218168 date=1583533086]
Thinking outside the box, Bob Smelling or Pat Miller? Both are clearly great at X and O coaching and are happy in Wi. Would rather them with a great recruiting assistant (like a Stan type guy) than a flyer on an assistant coach.

Not a big deal but it’s Semling and they are not pumped about him in Point.  They also had some sanctions believe it or not.  Lame reasons like practicing when they shouldn’t, etc.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2020, 01:21:37 PM »
I always like to see MU alumni doing well, as it is good reflection on the organization. Wardle has his team in the MVC Championship again.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20200307/bradley-returns-to-mvc-championship-game-plays-valparaiso
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »
Not me. Moser has one NCAA appearance in 16 years and wouldn't have earned an auto-bid. He also only has one NIT bid, so it's not like he's been killing it at the mid-major level. He's Shaka Smart. One great run is the entirety of his career.
He’s been consistently better than Wardle in the same conference. Don’t really want either, but outside of Wardle being an alum, not sure why’d you’d take him over Moser?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2020, 02:33:43 PM »
I would like to come out publicly with my endorsement of Brian Wardle.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2020, 02:44:42 PM »
He’s been consistently better than Wardle in the same conference. Don’t really want either, but outside of Wardle being an alum, not sure why’d you’d take him over Moser?

Consistently?  Moser has been at Loyola for 9 years and had 2 good seasons.

First 5 years at Loyola:
25-63 in conference (2 of those years were in the easier Horizon), 1 CBI berth

Wardle
First 5 years at Bradley:
39-51 in conference, 1 NCAA, 1 pending

Moser had 4 years of program building before Wardle got to Bradley and outside of 2 senior laden seasons, he's been pretty mediocre.  Outside of 17/18 and 18/19, he's .500 in conference, including this year being 13-5.   He was bad at Illinois St too.

I'm not a Wardle to MU fan, but he has an upward trajectory in his career and programs, Moser has a fluky run and a shared conference title in 17 seasons of being a HC.  Thats the difference

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2020, 02:50:20 PM »

Moser has been there 9 years. The Final Four team was the only time he ever had a top-75 kenpom team (Wardle did that twice at GB). Wardle went from sub-300 to sub-200 to #124 in year 3 when Moser was going to a Final Four. Since then he's possibly on the verge of back to back NCAA berths. This year LUC is 108 in kenpom, Bradley is 113, so a negligible difference.

I can find positives from Wardle in multiple seasons at both stops. Moser's entire resume is one season. Ignore the one time in the last two decades that Moser found lightning in a bottle and it's not even close.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2020, 03:17:58 PM »
In post season, Wardle has one CIT, two NIT and one NCAA appearances and zero wins. 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2020, 03:30:31 PM »
In post season, Wardle has one CIT, two NIT and one NCAA appearances and zero wins.
Is this supposed to be a knock?  He inherited a team that went 9-24 and 3-15 in conference and went to the CIT once in the previous 6 seasons.

The ceiling for Bradley is typically going to be a conference championship and NCAA appearance (which he has done twice now) because the MVC winner is almost always going to be a 14-16 seed.

He also coaches Bradley basketball from Peoria, Illinois in the Missouri Valley Conference.  You need to scale your expectations to that fact.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2020, 03:34:15 PM »
Is this supposed to be a knock?  He inherited a team that went 9-24 and 3-15 in conference and went to the CIT once in the previous 6 seasons.

The ceiling for Bradley is typically going to be a conference championship and NCAA appearance (which he has done twice now) because the MVC winner is almost always going to be a 14-16 seed.

He also coaches Bradley basketball from Peoria, Illinois in the Missouri Valley Conference.  You need to scale your expectations to that fact.

The Missouri Valley winner is only a 14-16 seed when it’s won by a team that makes a miracle run, like Bradley has the last 2 years. Otherwise teams like UNI, Witchita State, Loyola, and, when they were in it, Creighton are nowhere close to a 14-16 seed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback