[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87740 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »
Can't argue with that. Results matter

I did not see the teal (could have missed the implied teal?), but honestly, WTF?  Proven and punished cheater (so the board would not hire him),  currently being sued for sexual harassment and 78 years old.  Give me a break.  Results don't matter enough to hire a guy like that.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »
What good does a top 10 recruiting class do if he can't Coach them up properly?? Although, I have always said, he needs the type of recruiting classes where he can essentially just roll the ball out and tell them to go play so it covers his deficiencies.

Where does all this "top-10 recruiting class" come from? 247Sports ranks MU's class #14 and Rivals.com has us #15. Both rate all three recruits as 4 star PFs. No guards. Good so far, but not exactly Kentucky or Duke territory.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2020, 08:26:57 PM »
Where does all this "top-10 recruiting class" come from? 247Sports ranks MU's class #14 and Rivals.com has us #15. Both rate all three recruits as 4 star PFs. No guards. Good so far, but not exactly Kentucky or Duke territory.

Was top-10 when Garcia committed, likely would be back up there if Mane joins
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2020, 09:18:36 PM »

Multiple people I trust have said that Marquette has always been his dream gig.  He went to Thomas More and have had multiple family members involved with the school.  Not sure if that's still the case but there is very much an affinity for Marquette.

TJO has been terrific at two schools now and hardly schools that are easy to win at.  We should be all over it to make him an offer he can’t refuse. Especially if there’s truth to this.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2020, 09:28:35 PM »
TJO has been terrific at two schools now and hardly schools that are easy to win at.  We should be all over it to make him an offer he can’t refuse. Especially if there’s truth to this.

A .500 coach getting bounced in his first conference tournament game is "terrific"?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2020, 09:34:58 PM »
A .500 coach getting bounced in his first conference tournament game is "terrific"?

Didn’t realize they lost today, but doesn’t change my opinion. They were picked for 7th in conference and tied for 2nd. In his first season there after very good run at that basketball powerhouse SD St. 

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2020, 10:44:44 PM »

Multiple people I trust have said that Marquette has always been his dream gig.  He went to Thomas More and have had multiple family members involved with the school.  Not sure if that's still the case but there is very much an affinity for Marquette.

Agreed there is an affinity for MU.  My daughter is currently at Thomas More, and my nephew and brother in law attended as well.  I’ve heard positives from any number of people there about TJO and his feelings about Marquette.   

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2020, 10:16:25 AM »
Didn’t realize they lost today, but doesn’t change my opinion. They were picked for 7th in conference and tied for 2nd. In his first season there after very good run at that basketball powerhouse SD St.

That's cool. Seems a low bar to clear for "terrific" though.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »
Thinking outside the box, Bob Smelling or Pat Miller? Both are clearly great at X and O coaching and are happy in Wi. Would rather them with a great recruiting assistant (like a Stan type guy) than a flyer on an assistant coach.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2020, 05:56:38 PM »
Thinking outside the box, Bob Smelling or Pat Miller? Both are clearly great at X and O coaching and are happy in Wi. Would rather them with a great recruiting assistant (like a Stan type guy) than a flyer on an assistant coach.

No offense, but I'd be SUPER disappointed if Marquette pursued or ended up with a D3 HC, with no affiliation to Marquette, cause they are in-state already.  Thats an "outside the box" hire you make at  a program like Milwaukee or UWGB, not one with a multi-million dollar budget playing in a top 3 basketball conference.  Pat Miller has more experience with coaching women's golf than he does managing a D1 level coach's responsibilities.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
No offense, but I'd be SUPER disappointed if Marquette pursued or ended up with a D3 HC, with no affiliation to Marquette, cause they are in-state already.  Thats an "outside the box" hire you make at  a program like Milwaukee or UWGB, not one with a multi-million dollar budget playing in a top 3 basketball conference.  Pat Miller has more experience with coaching women's golf than he does managing a D1 level coach's responsibilities.

Recent guys like Beilein Beard and Bo Ryan make me think the coaching gap isn't as big as people imagine
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2020, 09:06:54 AM »

247 had Garcia 5 star on some parts of the site and 4 star on other parts of same site.

Isn’t the takeaway here the this staff has this team on cusp of another NCAA tournament bid with 3 star guys which should mean the staff is overachieving.  What can they do with even better raw talent?  The staff took a 4/5 star in Howard and he improved to All American level. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2020, 09:54:48 AM »

Wardle: Experienced. Excited. Educated at MU. Experienced at beating MU. Expecting to come home.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »
Recent guys like Beilein Beard and Bo Ryan make me think the coaching gap isn't as big as people imagine

Beard came from D2, and he was an assistant under Bobby Knight for a decade.  Also went to a low major Little Rock first.

Bo Ryan was a Wisconsin assistant for a decade but also went to a low major and had relative success (for that program) before he got the Wisconsin job.

Beilein made the jump 30 years ago, again from D2, and again to a low major.

Coaching maybe similar, sure, but it’s everything else about it is an insane leap without experience. If Miller or Smelling was a former assistant or Marquette player, I’d understand the conjecture. Otherwise, not for me

B

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2020, 10:12:03 AM »
Beard came from D2, and he was an assistant under Bobby Knight for a decade.  Also went to a low major Little Rock first.

Bo Ryan was a Wisconsin assistant for a decade but also went to a low major after he was caught cheating and had relative success (for that program) before he got the Wisconsin job.

Beilein made the jump 30 years ago, again from D2, and again to a low major.

Coaching maybe similar, sure, but it’s everything else about it is an insane leap without experience. If Miller or Smelling was a former assistant or Marquette player, I’d understand the conjecture. Otherwise, not for me

B

FIFY

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2020, 10:38:47 AM »
I think the last non-D1 coach to jump straight to a high major position was Kim Anderson at Mizzou. It did not end well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
I think the last non-D1 coach to jump straight to a high major position was Kim Anderson at Mizzou. It did not end well.

There ya go, prime example. He had high major assistant experience too, however, he’d been away from D-1 for 15 years by the time he was hired. I think that played a big role.

Beard, for example, had only 5 years between leaving TTU and coming back to TTU

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2020, 04:41:56 PM »
Not at all an advocate for him getting the MU job, but Wardle is now a victory over a team from the bottom half of a weak MVC away from his second consecutive tourney bid.  3-1 combined on the year vs Valpo/Missouri St.  Impressive given what a mess Geno Ford left in Peoria.  If I'm his agent, my fingers are itching to start making some calls if they cut down the nets again tomorrow.  Though not sure what jobs would open up that he'd be a candidate for.  Honestly feel like he'd be a great fit at DePaul but DL probably has another year.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2020, 05:29:14 PM »
Not at all an advocate for him getting the MU job, but Wardle is now a victory over a team from the bottom half of a weak MVC away from his second consecutive tourney bid.  3-1 combined on the year vs Valpo/Missouri St.  Impressive given what a mess Geno Ford left in Peoria.  If I'm his agent, my fingers are itching to start making some calls if they cut down the nets again tomorrow.  Though not sure what jobs would open up that he'd be a candidate for.  Honestly feel like he'd be a great fit at DePaul but DL probably has another year.
He’s been at Bradley for 5 years. Bradley finished 5th last year in MVC before winning the MVC tournament to get a bid. He also went 0-4 this year against Northern Iowa and Loyola.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »
He’s been at Bradley for 5 years. Bradley finished 5th last year in MVC before winning the MVC tournament to get a bid. He also went 0-4 this year against Northern Iowa and Loyola.

Again, he’s not my choice and I don’t think he’s a perfect candidate, just credit where credit is due.  It would be the 3rd tourney appearance for Bradley in 25 years, not exactly an easy place to win.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2020, 05:52:25 PM »

And let's also be fair...the ONLY reason he is playing for a MVC title again is because both the above mentioned teams got knocked out.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »
And Wojo has been at MU for 6 years and hasn't done squat unless you count the last 2 years extreme meltdowns at season's end. So we know his MO very well.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »
For the record count me in as a no Wardle guy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2020, 06:06:38 PM »
4ever

Count me in as a no Wardle guy as well. I literally cannot believe that his name would even be mentioned.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
Are you high?    Pointers are not even that high on smelling as a diiii coach.  You think he’s a way Wojo replacement - that’s rich.   

[q b uote author=Galway Eagle link=topic=60169.msg1218168#msg1218168 date=1583533086]
[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:17:45 PM by PointWarrior »