collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085082 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2020, 08:40:32 AM »
For me, this brings to mind the discussion a few years ago about electric cars.   Part of that was about driverless, shareable cars in urban areas.   Get into an autonomous pod, ride a couple of miles, get out, somebody else uses the autonomous pod.

Who cleans the autonomous pods?   Same problem with taking public transportation of any kind.    Just like you don't know if the person standing next to you on the El has the latest virus, how will you know if a previous pod user had the coronavirus, or whatever the latest crisis bug du jour is?   
   China is shutting down public transportation.   Would the same have to happen to the autonomous pods?

Just something to mull over as we go through this pandemic and await the next.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2020, 08:45:30 AM »
For me, this brings to mind the discussion a few years ago about electric cars.   Part of that was about driverless, shareable cars in urban areas.   Get into an autonomous pod, ride a couple of miles, get out, somebody else uses the autonomous pod.

Who cleans the autonomous pods?   Same problem with taking public transportation of any kind.    Just like you don't know if the person standing next to you on the El has the latest virus, how will you know if a previous pod user had the coronavirus, or whatever the latest crisis bug du jour is?   
   China is shutting down public transportation.   Would the same have to happen to the autonomous pods?

Yup.  I made that same argument here.  Especially when the car isn’t yours, people will shat all over it like they do busses, trains, etc.   
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2020, 08:55:54 AM »
  Who cleans the autonomous pods?  Would the same have to happen to the autonomous pods?

All transportation vehicles are cleaned by the same group: the owners.    Not sure how that's a mystery.   These "pods" will need maintenance, and the owners will do that.   They'll be "just as" clean as buses and subways.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »
That isn't comforting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »
That isn't comforting.

It should be.  More than likely, these shared cars will be made of easily cleanable materials... like the subway is.  Plus, you know there will be a rating system much like Uber, and one of the parts will be cleanliness.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2020, 01:28:18 PM »

Simple solution, make all autonomous pods equipped with UV-lighting. After each ride, each pod can be sterilized by running the UV lighting for 10 minutes. Hurts throughput a bit, but no worries about disease.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
I like it.   The price in each unit just went up.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2020, 03:36:19 PM »
It should be.  More than likely, these shared cars will be made of easily cleanable materials... like the subway is.  Plus, you know there will be a rating system much like Uber, and one of the parts will be cleanliness.

Yeah, the subway.  The bastion of cleanliness and freedom from germs.    :o ::) :o ::) :o ::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
Yeah, the subway.  The bastion of cleanliness and freedom from germs.    :o ::) :o ::) :o ::)

Ha, yes.  But it is technically easy to clean.  :P

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2020, 08:14:12 PM »
Reports that over 2,000 in India are now infected.

Report came out of the blue. 

This is going to get much worse before it gets better.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2020, 09:00:41 PM »
Reports that over 2,000 in India are now infected.

Report came out of the blue. 

This is going to get much worse before it gets better.

Tried to find a link for that .. source?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2020, 11:55:10 PM »
The doctor who made this public in China has died from the disease - a 34-year old healthy man.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2020, 06:36:32 AM »
Very anxious to see how much movement is made on getting people back to their work locations. Work is set to begin on Monday and millions, in theory, should be on their way or getting ready to travel and this will be a nervous time in China. I have been under the belief that is a far more serious issue and still feel that way.
Aside from lives, which is the sad part, potential economic fallout could be staggering. I believe the stock market has completely discounted a potentially very, very, very big Black Swan.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2020, 06:58:07 AM »
Ha, yes.  But it is technically easy to clean.  :P

Just like the streets of SF, Seattle, LA, well basically most major cities of california, NYC, Austin, tx, etc. these areas have become Petri dishes of disease that we had once eradicated.  Everyone, including the so called environmentalists should be appalled at the amount of waste being washed into our waterways and or spread through the air, on our shoes, etc.
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2020, 08:57:53 AM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »

Just like the streets of SF, Seattle, LA, well basically most major cities of california, NYC, Austin, tx, etc. these areas have become Petri dishes of disease that we had once eradicated.  Everyone, including the so called environmentalists should be appalled at the amount of waste being washed into our waterways and or spread through the air, on our shoes, etc.

Yup, we have diseases in Los Angeles and San Francisco now that were largely unseen for decades.....progress has a way of bringing things back sometimes.  A glorious time to be alive in California.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2020, 09:52:06 AM »

Rorschach?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »

I'd be interested on hearing why you think this is occurring more lately

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »
It's all that swishing and spitting at dental offices, dammit!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2020, 10:34:30 AM »
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/third-coronavirus-case-reported-from-india/articleshow/73895001.cms

3 confirmed, about 2000 under observation.  I've seen that number as high as 2800

Just saw something saying that Kerala is walking back the numbers.  So that's great news.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
Very anxious to see how much movement is made on getting people back to their work locations. Work is set to begin on Monday and millions, in theory, should be on their way or getting ready to travel and this will be a nervous time in China. I have been under the belief that is a far more serious issue and still feel that way.
Aside from lives, which is the sad part, potential economic fallout could be staggering. I believe the stock market has completely discounted a potentially very, very, very big Black Swan.

Absolutely.  I have serious doubts that people head back to work next week if they are in the affected zones.  The economic impact could be felt for some time depending on when this clears up.  SARS created a big dip, but had a quick recovery.  I'm not so sure the same will happen this time around.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
Rorschach?

Just the trolls way of injecting politics - railing against "liberal" cities.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2020, 12:57:03 PM »
Just the trolls way of injecting politics - railing against "liberal" cities.

There are a lot of "liberal" cities in this country that dont have poop squads, needle squads, and all the other nastiness that SF has.