[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085038 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »
What does "full legal responsibility" mean in this context?

Remember what happened to the guys blamed for the baby milk scandal?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »
I read a CNN article over the weekend that North Korea is the only Eastern country that hasn't had a case of Coronavirus.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/asia/north-korea-wuhan-coronavirus-infection-intl-hnk/index.html

Which got me to thinking, there's a lot of cross-border activity between China and DPRK, both legal and illegal... so if - by chance - the virus crosses the DPRK border, it's likely that the party will do everything to suppress any evidence; therefore, it's plausible that DPRK has already been exposed, and we just don't know it.  And considering that DPRK's health system is as sophisticated as Doc McStuffins' the virus could actually - in the literal sense - decimate that country.

On the other hand, the only plausible way that nobody in DPRK has died from this is if the country has some sort of immunity... which itself seems to defy logic.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »
MU Burrow

Some factories are requesting third party contractors to sign papers exposing themselves to legal liability. Due the delays that will be caused by the virus, I am anticipating a lot of games to be played by suppliers. In fairness to the suppliers, they are not receiving consistent info from the different government agencies.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2020, 12:09:15 PM »
I read a CNN article over the weekend that North Korea is the only Eastern country that hasn't had a case of Coronavirus.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/asia/north-korea-wuhan-coronavirus-infection-intl-hnk/index.html

Which got me to thinking, there's a lot of cross-border activity between China and DPRK, both legal and illegal... so if - by chance - the virus crosses the DPRK border, it's likely that the party will do everything to suppress any evidence; therefore, it's plausible that DPRK has already been exposed, and we just don't know it.  And considering that DPRK's health system is as sophisticated as Doc McStuffins' the virus could actually - in the literal sense - decimate that country.

On the other hand, the only plausible way that nobody in DPRK has died from this is if the country has some sort of immunity... which itself seems to defy logic.

Maybe the pulled everyone's teeth and that stopped the spread
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »
I rarely let my conspiracy side out to play, but I do think there may be something to the concept that Coronavirus is a bio-weapon escaped.....Wuhan is home to two Chinese bio weapon labs
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2020, 12:14:25 PM »
MU Burrow

Some factories are requesting third party contractors to sign papers exposing themselves to legal liability. Due the delays that will be caused by the virus, I am anticipating a lot of games to be played by suppliers. In fairness to the suppliers, they are not receiving consistent info from the different government agencies.

Thanks Goose (and MUFaninCT). 

Given what "legal liability" means in the Chinese context, no supplier in their right mind would re-open with this type of hammer hanging over them, would they?  Unless maybe remaining closed would put them under? But even then...

Or is part of this to provide those suppliers cover from the government to tell their overseas customers that their hands are tied? Sorry for my ignorance on this, it just seems a very vague threat and I'm having trouble unpacking what it means (or maybe the Chinese authorities don't even know what it means yet?).

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2020, 12:44:46 PM »
MU Burrow

My company's Zhongshan plant manager said one of his customer's in Shenzhen was pushing for us to reopen, but our plant manger told the customer he would not endanger his employee's with this virus.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »
I rarely let my conspiracy side out to play, but I do think there may be something to the concept that Coronavirus is a bio-weapon escaped.....Wuhan is home to two Chinese bio weapon labs

gee, the guy that alerted everyone of the virus is dead and the dude that video taped a bunch of stuff was arrested and not whereabouts unknown-probably a kidney shortage or sumpin
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2020, 01:19:11 PM »
My company's Zhongshan plant manager said one of his customer's in Shenzhen was pushing for us to reopen, but our plant manger told the customer he would not endanger his employee's with this virus.

After they stopped laughing, what did they decide?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »

Oh, I've read this one.  We all gotta meet up in Colorado and then walk to Vegas.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »

The same country where their leader got a hole in one on every hole....they are magical
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »
Oh, I've read this one.  We all gotta meet up in Colorado and then walk to Vegas.

Your thoughts stand up well.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »

I love conspiracy theories, but I'm very hesitant and reluctant to go full tin-foil on this one.  Which either means there's some truth to it or the I'm terrified of the very prospect of full-on development of viral weaponry.  Which begs the question... short of an admission from the Chinese bio-lab workers, is it plausible that you could make such a determination simply by studying the virus?

More likely (hopefully) is that if this is a manufactured virus, it's part of the R&D into a universal flu vaccine.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
The same country where their leader got a hole in one on every hole....they are magical
Kim is the best at everything.  Sounds weirdly familiar.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2020, 02:33:06 PM »
Kim is the best at everything.  Sounds weirdly familiar.

He left 3 years ago....get over it...go watch his Netflix stuff if you feel so inclined.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2020, 03:33:18 PM »
I love conspiracy theories, but I'm very hesitant and reluctant to go full tin-foil on this one.  Which either means there's some truth to it or the I'm terrified of the very prospect of full-on development of viral weaponry.  Which begs the question... short of an admission from the Chinese bio-lab workers, is it plausible that you could make such a determination simply by studying the virus?

More likely (hopefully) is that if this is a manufactured virus, it's part of the R&D into a universal flu vaccine.

You can determine if it's likely to have been engineered but I don't believe you can 100% prove it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2020, 05:48:34 PM »
Like the conspiracy theory that Lyme Disease is engineered and accidentally escaped Plum Island, NY?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2020, 07:12:42 PM »

Strange, I've heard it is in DPRK.  And that they're spraying everything between China and Pyongyang.  But I read too much.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227741314911031296
BREAKING: Epicenter of coronavirus outbreak reports 14,840 new cases, including clinically diagnosed cases, and 242 new deaths

That is an ENORMOUS jump in new cases in one day.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2020, 07:07:03 PM »
Seems like they were sandbagging ..

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2020, 07:17:42 PM »

The Chinese must be in charge of the Senior Class Award voting too.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »

My (limited) understanding is that this jump is due to a change in the criteria to reporting an infection.  Up until now, the case had to be confirmed through testing, which meant several days of lag, and in many cases, not being reported at all if the person died or for one reason or another didn't have a sample sent for testing.  From now on, the reported numbers are going to include all diagnoses made by doctors, regardless of the status of the test (unless negative, I guess).  So this jump included every probable case that hadn't been confirmed through testing.  Word from the CDC today is that this likely means there are far more cases than had been reported, but that the death rate is probably significantly lower than previously reported.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2020, 09:09:53 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I'm starting to wonder if the worm is turning on China from a global perspective. Given the handling(or lack thereof) of the Coronavirus, the HK protests and by extension the reaction to the Daryl Morey tweet, and the muslim "re-education" camps....I think China is taking a lot of lumps. Could they recover, absolutely and I'm not saying that China as a world power is dying, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that we look back at the past three years and view this time as the unwinding of Chinese economic and political strength on the world stage.

As an example I know my company has put any expansion in China on hold for two years and are creating plans to exit HK as a center for financial and data transactions for our AP region.

Just something to keep an eye on IMHO

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I'm starting to wonder if the worm is turning on China from a global perspective. Given the handling(or lack thereof) of the Coronavirus, the HK protests and by extension the reaction to the Daryl Morey tweet, and the muslim "re-education" camps....I think China is taking a lot of lumps. Could they recover, absolutely and I'm not saying that China as a world power is dying, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that we look back at the past three years and view this time as the unwinding of Chinese economic and political strength on the world stage.

As an example I know my company has put any expansion in China on hold for two years and are creating plans to exit HK as a center for financial and data transactions for our AP region.

Just something to keep an eye on IMHO

China is too large and powerful to succumb to external pressure.  The country is like an adult bookstore or a crack dealer... no matter how unethical or how despised they may be, they have something that people want (and if someone isn't willing to overlook their misdeeds, someone else will).

Change can only come from within, and even then, it must come from the masses, not simply the majority.  IMO, it would take something cataclysmic (which it is not looking like COVID-19 rises to this level) to change the paradigm in the People's Republic... decades of propaganda and censorship have ingrained their brand of authoritarianism so deeply within their culture that the very though of the Chinese rising up en masse against their gov't would be tantamount to Americans suddenly deciding that we're all going to completely abandon the idea of diamond engagement rings.

Taking a page while it's still fresh... watch American Factory on Netflix; the Chinese don't envy the lifestyle and leisure time that Americans enjoy, they despise it.  Even when given the freedom to explore, they still blindly adhere to their hierarchy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:57:26 AM by Benny B »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2020, 11:54:01 AM »
China is too large and powerful to succumb to external pressure. The country is like an adult bookstore or a crack dealer... no matter how unethical or how despised they may be, they have something that people want (and if someone isn't willing to overlook their misdeeds, someone else will).

This.

feedback