[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 297550 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #1650 on: February 18, 2022, 05:41:41 PM »
A-OK, Wags. Have a good one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1651 on: February 19, 2022, 12:55:04 PM »
So any fund manager who overstays their welcome, especially a momentum trader, in a sector/position and/or loses sight of the overall market dynamics is a "con artist"?  Come on man.

She made outsized returns cause she was super long in momentum/growth stocks during a historic bull run up/bounce.  She's too stubborn to realize the market has changed and she/her positions are in trouble so she's talking up her book.  Its pure salesmanship.  She's not a CEO of a company lying about products and their developments.  Nor is she hiding anything or selling snake oil.  There is no con, what she supposed to say?  I screwed up and these positions are going to be even more underwater cause our size is too big to unload quickly without tanking them?

My take is that we need to stop deifying traders who get lucky and then take everything they say as gospel.  Cathie, Mr. Burry, et al. are wrong as often as they are right.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1652 on: February 24, 2022, 08:12:17 AM »
So ... what are folks doing today?

I have updated my watch list and will carefully deploy some of my cash, knowing full well that there still could be more market pain ahead.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1653 on: February 24, 2022, 08:22:54 AM »
So ... what are folks doing today?

I have updated my watch list and will carefully deploy some of my cash, knowing full well that there still could be more market pain ahead.

Losing money, of course.  Just buy the way down if you're young. 

Oh, and buy Boeing, Raytheon, and Northrop-Grumman.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1654 on: February 24, 2022, 09:24:53 AM »
Be very wary of people rushing in to buy this bounce

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1655 on: February 24, 2022, 10:15:05 AM »
Sitting tight.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1656 on: February 24, 2022, 10:40:20 AM »
I'm buying, like normal.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1657 on: February 24, 2022, 11:07:27 AM »
I've done a little buying so far, adding here and there to positions I already have, mostly "boring" dividend-growing stocks. I did throw a few "hero" limit orders out there, but only a couple hit, and none of my most aggressive ones.

It's been interesting to watch tech stocks bounce back. ADBE, for example, was within $5 of my hero order hitting ... and now it's up 4.5% on the day as I write this. Crazy!

The most interesting thing for me today: I was looking through my various accounts shortly after the market opened, trying to decide what I might want to put in an offer on, and I see that one of my utilities, SJI, is up 40%+. I thought it was a mistake ... but I looked it up and, lo and behold, it's being acquired by a private equity company and will be taken private, and they're paying a huge premium to do it. I have a pretty nice stake in SJI, so this was a very pleasant surprise. If they wait till after 9/30/22 to close, I can even have all proceeds classified as LTCG, which would be sweet.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1658 on: February 24, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
Bought Llyods Bank (LYG) as it is getting killed along with other European banks
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1659 on: March 09, 2022, 04:25:21 PM »
AMZN with the 20-1 stock split and a $10B buy back.  SHEESH.  Almost touched 3100 AH from a 2785 close.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1660 on: March 09, 2022, 04:37:27 PM »
AMZN with the 20-1 stock split and a $10B buy back.  SHEESH.  Almost touched 3100 AH from a 2785 close.

I'm surprised the big boys aren't on acquisition sprees with the big hit to growth-stage companies. I suppose structuring those deals can take time.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1661 on: March 09, 2022, 05:12:30 PM »
AMZN has been range-bound for closing in on 2 years now. I don't know that a $10B buyback does a lot with a $1.4T market cap.

Someone does need to buy TWTR, however, and properly monetize its huge user base. AMZN is effectively in the search space now and could marry that with TWTR, as well as incorporating it into Prime.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1662 on: March 25, 2022, 02:26:52 PM »
Buffet and Berkshire are now ahead of the S&P 500 on a 1-Year, 2-Year, and 5-Year basis, the last by roughly 17%

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1663 on: March 25, 2022, 07:02:24 PM »
Buffet and Berkshire are now ahead of the S&P 500 on a 1-Year, 2-Year, and 5-Year basis, the last by roughly 17%

Buy some BRK.B and go to the annual meeting. It's worth the experience to go at least once.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1664 on: March 25, 2022, 08:58:21 PM »
Buy some BRK.B and go to the annual meeting. It's worth the experience to go at least once.
Still haven't made it there. Really need to before...well, you know.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1665 on: April 04, 2022, 10:40:46 AM »
AMZN has been range-bound for closing in on 2 years now. I don't know that a $10B buyback does a lot with a $1.4T market cap.

Someone does need to buy TWTR, however, and properly monetize its huge user base. AMZN is effectively in the search space now and could marry that with TWTR, as well as incorporating it into Prime.

Musk taking a stake in TWTR wasn't the catalyst I was expecting. Good to know that Elon doesn't know what free speech is either.

"Given that Twitter serves as the de facto public town square, failing to adhere to free speech principles fundamentally undermines democracy. What should be done?," Musk said in the tweet.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1666 on: April 04, 2022, 10:54:26 AM »
Musk taking a stake in TWTR wasn't the catalyst I was expecting. Good to know that Elon doesn't know what free speech is either.

"Given that Twitter serves as the de facto public town square, failing to adhere to free speech principles fundamentally undermines democracy. What should be done?," Musk said in the tweet.

FWIW, Twitter has been shadowbanning and selectively deleting tweets for years.  Its not "cancel culture", its selective moderation/editing.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1667 on: April 04, 2022, 11:08:27 AM »
FWIW, Twitter has been shadowbanning and selectively deleting tweets for years.  Its not "cancel culture", its selective moderation/editing.
Yes. I agree with the policy.

There are plenty of other platforms that people are free to post violent rhetoric, hate speech, and the like. Making TWTR even more of a cesspool than it already is by allowing that crap isn't in the public interest or their business interest IMO.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1668 on: April 04, 2022, 11:43:51 AM »
Yes. I agree with the policy.

There are plenty of other platforms that people are free to post violent rhetoric, hate speech, and the like. Making TWTR even more of a cesspool than it already is by allowing that crap isn't in the public interest or their business interest IMO.

Thats the rosiest view of it.  Its not all Q-Anon MAGA nonsense thats being censored.  Your profile and posts are purely at the whim of some moderator at Twitter.  Ive had friends who are very left of center shadowbanned for sports/music related posts/exchanges and no history of aggressive or offensive rhetoric.  Ive had follows who lean conservative and were not rabid Trumpers who were locked out of accounts for weeks for saying the equivalent of "well this policy/proposal is f-ing stupid".

TWTR hides behind "we're anti-hate speech" but then allows tons of it to go on and randomly enforces other stuff.  Its not done by an efficient algorithm and there is no consistency to it.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #1669 on: April 04, 2022, 01:27:19 PM »
Thats the rosiest view of it.  Its not all Q-Anon MAGA nonsense thats being censored.  Your profile and posts are purely at the whim of some moderator at Twitter.  Ive had friends who are very left of center shadowbanned for sports/music related posts/exchanges and no history of aggressive or offensive rhetoric.  Ive had follows who lean conservative and were not rabid Trumpers who were locked out of accounts for weeks for saying the equivalent of "well this policy/proposal is f-ing stupid".

TWTR hides behind "we're anti-hate speech" but then allows tons of it to go on and randomly enforces other stuff.  Its not done by an efficient algorithm and there is no consistency to it.

I agree it's not consistent but it's not like Twitter has any legal responsibility to do something different. So then it's about whether they have a social responsibility and if so, what is it? That can be dictated by the market and whatever their company ethics are, and that's more or less what it is.

I think it's all pretty toxic but if people (like me) don't like Twitter, they can simply elect not to use it.   

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1670 on: April 04, 2022, 02:57:33 PM »

TOS enforcement be like that

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1671 on: April 04, 2022, 03:07:35 PM »
I agree it's not consistent but it's not like Twitter has any legal responsibility to do something different. So then it's about whether they have a social responsibility and if so, what is it? That can be dictated by the market and whatever their company ethics are, and that's more or less what it is.

I think it's all pretty toxic but if people (like me) don't like Twitter, they can simply elect not to use it.   

Right.

And when people say stuff like "Twitter is the de facto town square," it's not only not accurate, but it's just shorthand for "I don't like to be moderated." 

Well...tough. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1672 on: April 04, 2022, 03:44:08 PM »
TOS enforcement be like that

Which is fine, but don't pretend to be something you're not.  I have no issue with Twitter doing what they are well in their right to do.  They just tried to position themselves otherwise for awhile, intentionally or not, so that it seemed off brand.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1673 on: April 04, 2022, 09:00:45 PM »
Which is fine, but don't pretend to be something you're not.  I have no issue with Twitter doing what they are well in their right to do.  They just tried to position themselves otherwise for awhile, intentionally or not, so that it seemed off brand.

Most platforms have had or will have this problem at scale. The challenge is that moderation isn't built-in from the get-go. It's expensive when your only motives are profit motives. Then, though, at a certain scale the complete lack of moderation becomes a liability so your legal team & board make you enforce some rules of decorum. What do you do? You spend the bare minimum to spin up a moderation team with very minimal oversight. They're only there, after all, as a CYA dog-and-pony show.

Best case the moderation team operates quietly and nobody really notices them. Worst case they're a constant PR nightmare. Usually, it's somewhere in between. Facebook/Reddit/Twitter/etc spend as little as possible on moderation and it's only to cover their keesters. Shoddy implementation is a feature, not a bug.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1674 on: April 07, 2022, 06:38:03 AM »
Elon gonna fix Twitter

feedback