[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136284 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1500 on: April 18, 2024, 09:40:03 AM »
Thanks - probably can’t make it - darn

Looks like it'll be streamed on MU's YT channel.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1501 on: April 18, 2024, 09:40:33 AM »
This is another example why some people don’t share what they know here, or they leave altogether.

So you are familiar with the operations of Scoop.

Before we begin, your most recent post here (checks notes) says: “We are all anti-dentites.”

But are unaware of Scoop's well known anti-dentite joke.

Interesting...

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1502 on: April 18, 2024, 09:46:41 AM »
I'm going to be honest man, I appreciate the info you offered.  Sometimes you just have to ignore the noise.

Unfortunately, we have had plenty of people purporting to know things or be someone in the know who end up being trolls.  So accept that this place is a little off.  But also accept that any anonymous message board is like this.  Anyone with a low post history is going to probably catch heat... especially when their info doesn't turn out to be correct.

Also, more than a few people here like to joke around and use inside baseball jokes... they're not new person friendly jokes, mind you.

I think you are illustrating the point.

It’s the old 80/20 business rule. 20% of posters do 80% of the posting. And those would be a mix of bad, good, indifferent posters. Sometimes the ones shouting loudest or the most, aren’t the most informed or best posters.

Maybe if more people spent more time objectively discussing topics, and less time attacking posters with failed stand up comedy routines and you’d have more informed posters. Just a thought. The self important idea that a new person has to prove themselves to group sure is something.

I’ll stand by my posts, all of which were matter of fact accurate, informative, posts about what transpired, when it transpired.

And that’s just it, I don’t have to ignore the noise. I can just pick up the ball and home.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1503 on: April 18, 2024, 09:48:43 AM »
Let’s see if Brian Stanchak has anything to say today. Of all the things he could tweet, of all the days, he decided to go with this:

https://x.com/bdstan/status/1780934606180503965?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng

Huh.

Pretty interesting...and somewhat ironic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: April 18, 2024, 09:49:41 AM »

It’s the old 80/20 business rule. 20% of posters do 80% of the posting. And those would be a mix of bad, good, indifferent posters. Sometimes the ones shouting loudest or the most, aren’t the most informed or best posters.

Maybe if more people spent more time objectively discussing topics, and less time attacking posters with failed stand up comedy routines and you’d have more informed posters. Just a thought. The self important idea that a new person has to prove themselves to group sure is something.

I’ll stand by my posts, all of which were matter of fact accurate, informative, posts about what transpired, when it transpired.

And that’s just it, I don’t have to ignore the noise. I can just pick up the ball and home.

It's just very interesting that there were three posters (of which you are one) who signed up less than a month ago and only posted in this topic and on the coaching search.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 09:51:52 AM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1505 on: April 18, 2024, 09:51:01 AM »
So you are familiar with the operations of Scoop.

But are unaware of Scoop's well known anti-dentite joke.

Interesting...

I find it interesting that you recently posted that you should never doubt Skim.

But you doubt me even though some of the information I provided is from a conversation I had with Skim.

Skim found out that Consuegra was the choice 10 minutes before he posted it. He had never heard her name before in the process.

Does anyone want to actually discuss MUWBB?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1506 on: April 18, 2024, 09:54:35 AM »

Of course you can.  But remember your audience.  We are dumbass fans on a dumbass fan board.

People with reliable information (Big Daddy, TAMU, Brewcity, a couple of others) are routinely taken seriously.  The difference is they've been around for years (RIP BD), and have earned the respect.

You may do what you wish, but I'd prefer you stick around.  You'll get used to the dumbassery around here.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1507 on: April 18, 2024, 10:14:05 AM »
Of course you can.  But remember your audience.  We are dumbass fans on a dumbass fan board.

People with reliable information (Big Daddy, TAMU, Brewcity, a couple of others) are routinely taken seriously.  The difference is they've been around for years (RIP BD), and have earned the respect.

You may do what you wish, but I'd prefer you stick around.  You'll get used to the dumbassery around here.

Really? Go read reply #1491 on the previous page. Maybe one of your reliable sources isn’t so reliable about this topic. If that’s how “respected” posters treat new posters, perhaps that’s why there aren’t as many new informative posters. Respect is a two way street, whether someone has posted one time or one thousand times. Again, I can’t speak for other posters.

Again, you keep saying that I have to adjust to the “dumbassery” around here. I don’t.

And the goal of changing the subject away from the MUWBB mess, has been achieved by posters with an agenda.

I don’t have an agenda. I posted about the entire search as it happened with a wide range of candidates. And I did so without an ounce of negativity too. I did read other posts from other posters that may have been either negative or unrealistic or inaccurate etc….but I said I would discuss those things more specifically after the search was complete.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1508 on: April 18, 2024, 10:37:55 AM »
Really? Go read reply #1491 on the previous page. Maybe one of your reliable sources isn’t so reliable about this topic. If that’s how “respected” posters treat new posters, perhaps that’s why there aren’t as many new informative posters. Respect is a two way street, whether someone has posted one time or one thousand times. Again, I can’t speak for other posters.

Again, you keep saying that I have to adjust to the “dumbassery” around here. I don’t.

And the goal of changing the subject away from the MUWBB mess, has been achieved by posters with an agenda.

I don’t have an agenda. I posted about the entire search as it happened with a wide range of candidates. And I did so without an ounce of negativity too. I did read other posts from other posters that may have been either negative or unrealistic or inaccurate etc….but I said I would discuss those things more specifically after the search was complete.

Why would you assume that one of the posters that was being referenced was you?  There are multiple new posters in this thread. 

I don't have any sources.  But there are people who I regard as established posters with a history of accurate information.  You may become one some day.  But that isn't given, it is earned.  Now, my regard or belief in a person's info is worth exactly what I pay in dues to use this website annually.  Why would you care what I (random internet guy you don't know) think?  Why should you care if I believe you?  I'm no one. 
But you did say this:
They needed someone else to use for the reveal. The next MUWBB HC is Gillespie.

So, there you have it.  In your first 40 posts you put yourself out there.  Don't be upset when people fact check you. 

As for respect being a two way street, I think you have been treated pretty respectfully, thus far.  If not, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1509 on: April 18, 2024, 10:59:58 AM »
Looks like it'll be streamed on MU's YT channel.

Thanks. 

I was able to attend Duffy’s press conference and had hoped to get to this one but work will prevent that - oh well 😀

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1510 on: April 18, 2024, 11:06:50 AM »
Why would you assume that one of the posters that was being referenced was you?  There are multiple new posters in this thread. 

I don't have any sources.  But there are people who I regard as established posters with a history of accurate information.  You may become one some day.  But that isn't given, it is earned.  Now, my regard or belief in a person's info is worth exactly what I pay in dues to use this website annually.  Why would you care what I (random internet guy you don't know) think?  Why should you care if I believe you?  I'm no one. 
But you did say this:
So, there you have it.  In your first 40 posts you put yourself out there.  Don't be upset when people fact check you. 

As for respect being a two way street, I think you have been treated pretty respectfully, thus far.  If not, you ain't seen nothing yet.

If anything, the self importance is consistent.

I’m not upset about anything.

Why would I assume? I didn’t. I asked. And so far no one has posted that they weren’t talking about my posts. In fact several then posted directly to me.

I think I just pointed out that one of your trusted posters didn’t have accurate information.

You replied to me, not the other way around.

Why aren’t we discussing the resume of Cara Consuegra? Why aren’t we discussing that Boggess and Gillespie were the top two choices until the ball was fumbled. Why aren’t we discussing the other names prior to Boggess and Gillespie that declined interest in the job? Why aren’t we discussing why it took so long? Why aren’t we discussing that MU used a search firm to end up with this result?

Prior to the search, Mike Broeker tweeted this:

https://x.com/mikebroeker/status/1775630119589097554?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng

Do you think this is a “lion” hire?

Am I not allowed to say that because some people here may be friendly with Mike or Bill? They’re both good guys by the way. Is there a book of rules of what I’m allowed to talk about and how? Are we going by the content of posts, or by whether or not the poster is part of some secret message board society? How many posts does one need, a thousand, ten thousand?

Maybe I’ve provided, accurate, timely, information objectively, without bias or negativity. Maybe that’s new here. And maybe it’s difficult for a vocal minority of MU fans to hear anything less than Seashells and Balloons. (See there, I used an MU Rah Rah reference to be part of the group)

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1511 on: April 18, 2024, 11:13:00 AM »

Maybe I’ve provided, accurate, timely, information objectively, without bias or negativity. Maybe that’s new here. And maybe it’s difficult for a vocal minority of MU fans to hear anything less than Seashells and Balloons. (See there, I used an MU Rah Rah reference to be part of the group)

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1512 on: April 18, 2024, 11:24:53 AM »

And, that was true at the time. Ask Gillespie, her agent, Skim, several others including people in MU’s Athletic Department. Don’t take my word for it.

I also see that you tried to cherry pick and play gotcha instead of going with the totality of the posts and their information. I will stand by all of my posts. I don’t think they’d garner this much attention if there wasn’t something to them.

By the way, where are all of these MUWBB fans during the season? Or in past seasons? My excuse is I’m new. What’s yours? So many people posting in this thread that never otherwise show interest in MUWBB tells me all that I need to know.

It looks as though it’s a handful of people. Apologies to Marquette Fan and those few others for temporary topic deviation. I’m certainly trying to discuss MUWBB.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: April 18, 2024, 11:31:51 AM »
And, that was true at the time. Ask Gillespie, her agent, Skim, several others including people in MU’s Athletic Department. Don’t take my word for it.

I also see that you tried to cherry pick and play gotcha instead of going with the totality of the posts and their information. I will stand by all of my posts. I don’t think they’d garner this much attention if there wasn’t something to them.

By the way, where are all of these MUWBB fans during the season? Or in past seasons? My excuse is I’m new. What’s yours? So many people posting in this thread that never otherwise show interest in MUWBB tells me all that I need to know.

It looks as though it’s a handful of people. Apologies to Marquette Fan and those few others for temporary topic deviation. I’m certainly trying to discuss MUWBB.

Well, it's not true.  Gillespie is not the next MUWBB HC.  You came here and stated it as if it's a fact that she is.  Unless she's signed on to replace Consuegra, whenever that might be?

And LOL at calling people out for not posting on women's basketball before...when neither did you!

Bears26

• Walk-On
« Reply #1514 on: April 18, 2024, 11:34:41 AM »
I don't see what difference it makes as to whether someone is a new poster.  This is one of the few spots where people were discussing the new coach, so it make sense that people who were interested in the coaching search would sign up.  I haven't posted on this site for years (to much bitching), but I wanted to be involved in this discussion so I just created a new account.  No big deal.

I had no inside info on the search and I appreciated the info I read on this site.  In retrospect, it seems like there was a lot of accurate and some misinformation put forth for whatever reason.  Let's face it, the search was a cluster.  MU is trying to save face, saying that CC was their choice all along, things posted on this site were inaccurate, etc. I would guess some of that is true.  After all, you had an agent posting on here defending his clients and urging what great hires they would be.  You had names being thrown out who had no interest in the job. 

In short, it seems like MU had a higher opinion of the job than many coaches.  I think it took them by surprise that many up and comers were not interested.  They only ones that expressed an interest were retreads and mid tier candidates.  While an agent kept pushing those candidates, MU realized that those candidates were not the answer.  The school also came to the conclusion that they did not want to take a risk, nor did the school want the revolving door of coaches to continue, if the hire turned out to be successful.  So, they hired someone they believe will stick with the program if they are successful, would hopefully do better at MU than her last job given the increased resources, gets along with others in the department, and would be inexpensive enough to let go if she isn't performing. 

Look, I am not a fan of the hire.  But, I wish her nothing but success.  That said, if I were running the search, I would have gone outside the box, and looked at NAIA, D2 or D3 coach with extraordinary success.  I think it is worth the risk and if she is so successful, she leaves in 5-6 years, so be it.  It is the life as a mid-major. 

Now, I also think that MU will become a better opportunity once the men's team moves out of the Al and women's team will be able to make the facility their own.  So, maybe this hire is simply a stop gap for 3-4 years till they hopefullly have more funds from a new tv contract and have been facilities to sell.  We shall see.  Again, I hope CC surprises the doubters like me and coaches MU to new heights.  Not confident that it will occur, but hopeful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: April 18, 2024, 11:38:55 AM »
It's just very interesting that there were three posters (of which you are one) who signed up less than a month ago and only posted in this topic and on the coaching search.

Reading the content and tone of the posts and harping on other posters "not staying on the topic at hand" its very obvious this "new poster" is not new at all, but rather just a new alias for a reliable ol' Scoop standby

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: April 18, 2024, 11:41:10 AM »
I had no inside info on the search and I appreciated the info I read on this site.  In retrospect, it seems like there was a lot of accurate and some misinformation put forth for whatever reason.  Let's face it, the search was a cluster.  MU is trying to save face, saying that CC was their choice all along, things posted on this site were inaccurate, etc. I would guess some of that is true.  After all, you had an agent posting on here defending his clients and urging what great hires they would be.  You had names being thrown out who had no interest in the job. 

Where did you hear the bolded?

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1517 on: April 18, 2024, 11:42:21 AM »
Well, it's not true.  Gillespie is not the next MUWBB HC.  You came here and stated it as if it's a fact that she is.  Unless she's signed on to replace Consuegra, whenever that might be?

And LOL at calling people out for not posting on women's basketball before...when neither did you!

I posted the information that I had at the time I had it. And that information can and does change. Seems pretty straight forward.

Again, my excuse is that I’m new. You have 798 posts and how many of those are about MUWBB?

And I’m not sure I want to know about why a recent poster suggested you had no African American friends, and that your brain was pathologically broken. And others responded too. Sounds ominous.

If anyone would like to discuss MUWBB, I’m happy to join.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: April 18, 2024, 11:43:42 AM »
I posted the information that I had at the time I had it. And that information can and does change. Seems pretty straight forward.

Again, my excuse is that I’m new. You have 798 posts and how many of those are about MUWBB?

And I’m not sure I want to know about why a recent poster suggested you had no African American friends, and that your brain was pathologically broken. And others responded too. Sounds ominous.

If anyone would like to discuss MUWBB, I’m happy to join.

Where did that happen?  Lol.

Takes thread completely off topic.  Then cries about thread being completely off topic.  Hmm, what former posters were always playing the victim, always claiming to have inside information, etc.?  Hmm...

By the way, piece of advice if you don't like being called out for being wrong, and then claiming you have always given accurate information.  If your information "at the time" isn't finalized, maybe say something along the lines of, "Marquette is targeting (whoever) as their next (whatever position)."  You'd think reporting something as a #donedeal about MU Athletics positions would be a learning lesson here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 11:46:03 AM by withoutbias »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1519 on: April 18, 2024, 11:47:12 AM »

LOL

Respect is earned, not given. You show up out of the blue and expect everyone to take what you say as gospel, despite you obviously posting things that were not accurate then or now.

For what it’s worth, nothing has changed for me regarding my previous posts. That’s always subject to change. I have Ginny Boggess as the favorite, Kristen Gillespie, and possibly Maureen Magarity as the top 3 at this time in that order. I do know someone new was also contacted in the process.

Obviously this isn't the case now, nor was it then.

It is my understanding that MUWBB chose Gillespie over Boggess.

That’s interesting and much different than my information. All of my information has suggested only 2 people have been serious or advanced candidates for the position, as opposed to many. And it’s been just one candidate for over a week now.

That doesn’t mean many others weren’t contacted. It means these were the two serious candidates based on mutual interest. I could have instead posted some sort of exciting razzle dazzle, plot twists, misdirection, etc…but I instead just posted what I knew when I knew it.

I didn’t bump my previous post later last night by accident or coincidence before what happened today. And my information has stayed the same for over a week now.

The only surprise for me was seeing Consuegra’s photo in the reveal. But I suppose they can’t use Boggess’ photo after she took the Toledo job. If anything it should be telling for some that he didn’t use Barnes or Harper in the photo.

Gillespie’s agent likes to have a little fun. He also represents Caldwell, who was the previous Skim Milkey cartoon reveal. So yes, I would be very surprised if it wasn’t Gillespie.

I previously posted that not everything is always what it seems.

You were surprised by one of the people in the gif, and that turned out to be the person it was. Makes it seem like maybe you weren't quite as inside as you acted if the actual hire was a candidate you didn't expect to be in the mix.

Nope.

I don't post a ton publicly on behind the scenes stuff for multiple reasons. I try to avoid burning sources or giving out information that is still in flux because sometimes assumptions prove inaccurate and sometimes stating things as fact that aren't yet the case can actively harm the process. You came in and started talking about this search immediately, posting information that was later proved demonstrably false, and you wonder why people might question your credibility or intentions?

As Hards said, respect here is earned over time. If this was just a case of trying in good faith to give information and getting it wrong, then stick around and continue to prove your intentions. If not, then as you said you can "pick up the ball and home." But don't act like the aggrieved party because you came in, stirred up a bunch of discussion, and ended up the target of suspicion when your information was wrong.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1520 on: April 18, 2024, 11:47:32 AM »
Say what you will, but St. Louis sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1521 on: April 18, 2024, 11:48:10 AM »
All the people posting about the coaching change saga will be posting here during the season too, right 😀?

Yeah I’m sure it will be dead again with basically just me talking to myself 😂

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: April 18, 2024, 11:49:29 AM »
Say what you will, but St. Louis sucks

Yeah. Good call.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1523 on: April 18, 2024, 11:55:12 AM »
All the people posting about the coaching change saga will be posting here during the season too, right 😀?

Yeah I’m sure it will be dead again with basically just me talking to myself 😂

Lol. Exactly. I’m happy to talk with ya about MUWBB here or elsewhere. That’s 2 people.

Bears26

• Walk-On
« Reply #1524 on: April 18, 2024, 11:58:35 AM »

Quote from: Tarragona on April 09, 2024, 01:44:35 PM

For what it’s worth, nothing has changed for me regarding my previous posts. That’s always subject to change. I have Ginny Boggess as the favorite, Kristen Gillespie, and possibly Maureen Magarity as the top 3 at this time in that order. I do know someone new was also contacted in the process.

Quote from: Tarragona on April 11, 2024, 12:07:45 PM

It is my understanding that MUWBB chose Gillespie over Boggess.

I can see a scenario where all of this is true.  The first quote is personal opinion.  The second quote could be true.  Since it is pretty well established that MU did interview Gillespie, maybe they did choose her over Boggess.  However, the existence of CC as candidate was not known at the time.  In the end, they chose CC over Gillespie.  If MU had 8 candidates recommended and they only chose 1 to interview of the 8, I would think it was rational to assume that she would be getting the job.  This is a rough crowd. 

feedback