[Today at 11:26:47 AM]

UCONN -4 by Jay Bee
[Today at 11:24:33 AM]

Nice to Meet Rocky and Spiral by 4everwarriors
[Today at 11:24:29 AM]

Bracketology Thread 2023 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 11:03:56 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 1710 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2023, 05:02:25 PM »
I need a recommendation.

Taking my biz partner out to eat with his wife and 1 year old. I've taken them out to Armitage Ale House (great, btw) and that was the appropriate level of nice & child friendly. Anything you all would recommend in the city?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2023, 02:45:30 PM »
I need a recommendation.

Taking my biz partner out to eat with his wife and 1 year old. I've taken them out to Armitage Ale House (great, btw) and that was the appropriate level of nice & child friendly. Anything you all would recommend in the city?

The 4 Star restaurants around Southport Corridor (Frasca, Crosby's, Tuco & Blondie) are all solid food-wise and tend to be great with kids. Maybe a half step down in niceness from what I know of Armitage.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2023, 02:55:01 PM »
The 4 Star restaurants around Southport Corridor (Frasca, Crosby's, Tuco & Blondie) are all solid food-wise and tend to be great with kids. Maybe a half step down in niceness from what I know of Armitage.

When I was a 20 something in Chicago, I HATED Southport Corridor.  The bars were comparitively lame to LP, Old Town, River North, or Wicker and the people I knew who lived in and preferred that area just happened to be not as fun or used terms like "good beer" when describing where they wanted to go on a weekend night.  Schoolyard was the exception, naturally

Fast forward 10-15 years, my 3 best friends in the city live in Roscoe, Bucktown, and North Center and my last few visits down with my wife have brought us to the SoCo multiple times for really solid dinners.  Life is funny.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2023, 03:28:32 PM »
Hah we did the same thing, think we went there at 5pm on NYE because every other time was sold out!

Been thinking about checking out one of their new Monday pre fixe menus. Love La Parra, and Amerikas, I may say Rustico or Citrine have some stuff that can hang with them & Autre Monde but overall 100% agree that Autre Monde is a notch above.

Haven't been to Lavergne's, I'll be sure to check it out soon now that I'm kitchenless for two months.

Also saw today the sous chef from Gaetanos is opening up a new Italian spot in the old space on Madison. Hopefully it's remotely on par with the old spot!

Agreed on Rustico and Citrine.  Good news on Gaetano’s front

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2023, 07:01:30 PM »

I live in the neighborhood and I would recommend against Crosby's, personally, unless you're there for drinking instead of food. Tuco & Blonde is good for dinner with kids, better for cocktails on the patio during the summer.

Coda di Volpe is very good. Their brunch menu (sandwiches made with their pizza bread) is as good as their undersized pasta dishes. Ranked top 30 by Chicago Mag a few weeks back. I would say Armitage is in this tier of resto quality. Excellent for non-starred restaurants.

No dice on rezs at Frasca and Le Sud. Short notice, though.

I grabbed a reservation at Sochi, though. I think they got their first star this year. One of my favorites (I'm a sucker for Viet food, and their Slap Your Mama Fried Rice is bangin'), and I haven't tried their soups yet. Really looking forward to it, and I appreciate your help brainstorming!

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2023, 11:05:28 AM »
I live in the neighborhood and I would recommend against Crosby's, personally, unless you're there for drinking instead of food. Tuco & Blonde is good for dinner with kids, better for cocktails on the patio during the summer.

Coda di Volpe is very good. Their brunch menu (sandwiches made with their pizza bread) is as good as their undersized pasta dishes. Ranked top 30 by Chicago Mag a few weeks back. I would say Armitage is in this tier of resto quality. Excellent for non-starred restaurants.

No dice on rezs at Frasca and Le Sud. Short notice, though.

I grabbed a reservation at Sochi, though. I think they got their first star this year. One of my favorites (I'm a sucker for Viet food, and their Slap Your Mama Fried Rice is bangin'), and I haven't tried their soups yet. Really looking forward to it, and I appreciate your help brainstorming!

Fair on Crosby's--food was hit or miss the last couple times we went. Great call on Coda.

I haven't made it to Sochi yet, and I've had their website open as one of many tabs on this computer for 2 months to remember to go. Appreciate the reminder--just snagged my own reservation there.

feedback