[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 135878 times)

BHawk309

• Walk-On
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1475 on: April 17, 2024, 04:13:50 PM »
Say what you what… I can confirm from very reliable source that Gillespie was never offered, and never negotiated. This did NOT come down to terms in the fine print. Bowlsby’s ties to Iowa impacted this hire. The Asso AD impacted this hire. Any other report is blatantly false. Good luck to coach Consuegra.  I wish her the best. Go MU. 

mundelein jerry

• Walk-On
« Reply #1476 on: April 17, 2024, 04:17:09 PM »
Gillespie’s agent has placed at least 8 Women’s BB head coaches this cycle. He is also the same agent for Megan Duffy, Terri Mitchell, and Jim Jabir among many others. So there was plenty of familiarity with him.

Is it possible that MU wanted  ‘nothing further’ to do with the agent that handled Duffy, Mitchell, & Gillespie?

At the end of the day, I believe that we all just want a program that is appropriately supported by the university.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: April 17, 2024, 04:19:28 PM »
My guy said Gillespie and Consuegra both were finalists.  They chose Consuegra. Again, I’m not saying Gillespie is Geno, but Consuegra is 28-34 in past 2 years.  Gillespie is 46-21 and a Championship. And recruits Midwest. Consuegra has no Midwest kids on roster.

You'd have really hated the guy who was 13-39 combined the two seasons before Marquette hired him in 1964!

Seriously, I get the disappointment from you and others. I hope she exceeds expectations, and by a good measure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: April 17, 2024, 04:22:03 PM »
You'd have really hated the guy who was 13-39 combined the two seasons before Marquette hired him in 1964!

Seriously, I get the disappointment from you and others. I hope she exceeds expectations, and by a good measure.

Resource management is basically all that should matter.  Turn your resources into wins. 

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1479 on: April 17, 2024, 04:23:15 PM »
Liza Karlen visiting Notre Dame - https://x.com/skimmilkey/status/1779156087310000191?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

I was told she had a good visit but she is also hearing from some other very high level programs. So, no decision yet. That’s saying something because ND was a few buckets from the Elite 8, and would be a potential Final Four team with Karlen, Hidalgo, Miles, Citron, Westbeld, Koval.

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1480 on: April 17, 2024, 04:24:14 PM »
Is it possible that MU wanted  ‘nothing further’ to do with the agent that handled Duffy, Mitchell, & Gillespie?

At the end of the day, I believe that we all just want a program that is appropriately supported by the university.

That’s a great point Jerry!  That would make a heck of a lot more sense than from a basketball standpoint. 

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1481 on: April 17, 2024, 06:56:54 PM »

That isn’t it. He’s highly respected and well liked by coaches and athletic departments. It also doesn’t explain the Boggess situation.

I can objectively say that prior to this I thought and felt that MU was pretty supportive of the Women’s basketball program, even when some others didn’t think so.

I think any objective person would have legit questions after this.

But yes everyone wishes the new HC maximum success.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 07:11:21 PM by Tarragona »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1482 on: April 17, 2024, 07:15:17 PM »
That isn’t it. He’s highly respected and well liked by coaches and athletic departments.

I can objectively say that prior to this I thought and felt that MU was pretty supportive of the Women’s basketball program, even when some others didn’t think so.

I think any objective person would have legit questions after this.

But yes everyone wishes the new HC maximum success.

I questioned it before this. 

I wish Consuegra well though and will be buying season tickets again.  I’ve been going to their games since before the Al even opened  - I will continue to support the program and hope they can get things turned around.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1483 on: April 17, 2024, 07:46:15 PM »
I questioned it before this. 

I wish Consuegra well though and will be buying season tickets again.  I’ve been going to their games since before the Al even opened  - I will continue to support the program and hope they can get things turned around.

Yes you did. Based on conversations I had, I expected MU to build off of its recent coaches, budgets, etc to take another additional step forward. This isn’t that. They didn’t need a search firm to hire Consuegra. They wouldn’t have used Skim to generate more publicity, to end up with Consuegra after an extended search.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1484 on: April 17, 2024, 07:57:15 PM »
Say what you what… I can confirm from very reliable source that Gillespie was never offered, and never negotiated. This did NOT come down to terms in the fine print. Bowlsby’s ties to Iowa impacted this hire. The Asso AD impacted this hire. Any other report is blatantly false. Good luck to coach Consuegra.  I wish her the best. Go MU.

I guess I’ll say what I want then.

I can say with 100% certainty that Mike Broeker had multiple conversations with Brian Stanchak (he represents Gillespie) during the process. I also trust the few other people I spoke with during the process.

I already mentioned Kyle. I wouldn’t overestimate his role in the process. Kyle contacted a large amount of people prior to MU ending up with Consuegra.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: April 17, 2024, 08:58:25 PM »
As someone that follows the women from a bit of a distance ( I go to one or two games a year) … this is extremely disappointing.

I hope she does well… but it took them over 2 weeks to hire her?  They could have had her on day one.

It says to me that they have no interest in really improving the program.

In other words… a “ nice “ program that gets to a NCAAT once and awhile…
But that’s it.

benztagrams

• Walk-On
« Reply #1486 on: April 17, 2024, 09:30:04 PM »
I’m just sad. The administration has every opportunity to make this team the premier women’s sports team in Milwaukee and they consistently show their lack of attention and effort.

I wish the new coach and the program well, but it just isn’t worth my attention and time if it takes them this long to achieve this result.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: April 18, 2024, 06:34:45 AM »
I find it interesting that 2 people who just recently registered are coming forth with all this inside information about the women's coaching search and not painting MU and the administration in a positive light.  And yet everyone takes their word for it.

Makes you wonder who they are and what their motives might be?

I trust Scholl and the administration much more than two anonymous people on a message board.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: April 18, 2024, 07:23:00 AM »
I find it interesting that 2 people who just recently registered are coming forth with all this inside information about the women's coaching search and not painting MU and the administration in a positive light.  And yet everyone takes their word for it.

I trust Scholl and the administration much more than two anonymous people on a message board.

It is interesting that for as connected as they seem to be to the WBB program, they’ve never commented on anything other than this search……

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1489 on: April 18, 2024, 08:07:54 AM »
It is interesting that for as connected as they seem to be to the WBB program, they’ve never commented on anything other than this search……

Looking at their profiles it appears they signed up for Scoop very recently...

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: April 18, 2024, 08:38:59 AM »

Fair question to ask.

Scoop posters aside, based upon the facts of the search, such as time and final selection, this does not appear to be a well run coach hiring process. Is that fair? And if so, why? 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1491 on: April 18, 2024, 08:40:59 AM »

Bolded for emphasis. I'm going to go with "not Marquette fans."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: April 18, 2024, 08:42:50 AM »
Mystery and intrigue!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1493 on: April 18, 2024, 08:46:54 AM »
Fair question to ask.

Scoop posters aside, based upon the facts of the search, such as time and final selection, this does not appear to be a well run coach hiring process. Is that fair? And if so, why?

Yes I think it’s fair.  I don’t have an issue so much with hiring Consuegra as the timing of the search.  I think they could have hired her right away so why did it take two weeks?

I was happy with the Duffy hire right away and later not so much.  I liked Consuegra when she was an assistant here and am keeping an open mind for now.  I’m feeling old to realize she left MU 13 years ago though 😂

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1494 on: April 18, 2024, 08:52:58 AM »
Consuegra is on her way to Milwaukee - https://x.com/cconsuegra/status/1780938961965203781?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

Has anyone seen anything about a day/time for a press conference?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: April 18, 2024, 08:56:51 AM »
Has anyone seen anything about a day/time for a press conference?

Release said a formal introduction is 2 PM today at the AMU.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: April 18, 2024, 08:57:39 AM »
Wonder whose PJ that is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1497 on: April 18, 2024, 09:01:46 AM »
Release said a formal introduction is 2 PM today at the AMU.

Thanks - probably can’t make it - darn

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1498 on: April 18, 2024, 09:17:29 AM »

Really? I am unsure if this passive aggressive gaslighting post is towards me or not.

Before we begin, your most recent post here (checks notes) says: “We are all anti-dentites.”

This is what people do and say when they are unable to discuss the topic. They change the subject and they attack the messenger if they don’t like the message. If everyone is truly objective here, why not happily consume the information provided, and be grateful for it. My only agenda here was to share what I knew about the search when I knew it. It would seem by your reply that perhaps I’m not the one with an agenda here.

This is another example why some people don’t share what they know here, or they leave altogether.

There are now half a dozen posts/posters attacking the messenger, instead of discussing the topic with specific information or specific questions. I’m sure there will be more. But I suppose this is achieving the goal of controlling what information is shared and how it is shared. And none of those posts are discussing the specifics of the topic. They are defending any and all things MU, or at the very least, the people involved) even when the evidence might not support it.

Let’s see if Brian Stanchak has anything to say today. Of all the things he could tweet, of all the days, he decided to go with this:

https://x.com/bdstan/status/1780934606180503965?s=46&t=TsCCkuE48YmnkWfoKqc_Ng
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 09:20:20 AM by Tarragona »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: April 18, 2024, 09:27:55 AM »
I'm going to be honest man, I appreciate the info you offered.  Sometimes you just have to ignore the noise.

Unfortunately, we have had plenty of people purporting to know things or be someone in the know who end up being trolls.  So accept that this place is a little off.  But also accept that any anonymous message board is like this.  Anyone with a low post history is going to probably catch heat... especially when their info doesn't turn out to be correct.

Also, more than a few people here like to joke around and use inside baseball jokes... they're not new person friendly jokes, mind you.

feedback