[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 135575 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1425 on: April 15, 2024, 06:40:38 PM »
Yeah a search taking this long is outside of Scholl's MO. Really curious as to what the deal is.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1426 on: April 15, 2024, 07:37:00 PM »
Yeah a search taking this long is outside of Scholl's MO. Really curious as to what the deal is.

Probably waiting for Billy Donovan to be available
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1427 on: April 15, 2024, 07:40:09 PM »

Kim's still trying to decide if she's ready to leave Baton Rouge.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1428 on: April 15, 2024, 11:51:12 PM »
Unless someone new is added to the mix, MUWBB is close to naming a coach, and unless something changes, or someone new is added to the mix, I believe it will be Kristen Gillespie. Officially, the response when asked was Barnes, Harper, Gillespie, unless someone else is added. (I do know of an additional name but at this time I don’t believe it will get to that.)

If it is Gillespie, her dad played college basketball with Doug Bruno at DePaul. Their families are long time friends. She has the same agent as a long list of familiar names of recent and not so recent, past MUWBB coaches.

When I previously posted that I knew of 2 people with mutual MU interest, those two people were Boggess and Gillespie. So, when Trilly/Skim tweeted the first 3 names, they weren’t names I had at that point. The next day, when he tweeted the next two names, those two looked more familiar to me.

A person advising MU with the search, does like to initially swing for the fences with bigger names and more established coaches. If unsuccessful, they then pivot to try to hire the best coach they can regardless of background, even if that coach is more obscure or less of a name.

Other than Barnes, Harper, Gillespie, and others I mentioned, I know of one other name not mentioned, but at this time I don’t believe it is going to get to that.

I would be surprised if there wasn’t an announcement soon.

Bump.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1429 on: April 16, 2024, 12:25:16 PM »
Just saw this - https://x.com/skimmilkey/status/1780279504427966477?s=12

Looks like Cara Consuegra and Ginny Boggess to me but I’m confused a bit as Boggess already accepted the Toledo job.  Does this mean they are hiring Consuegra?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:34:49 PM by Marquette Fan »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1430 on: April 16, 2024, 12:40:42 PM »

Looks like Cara Consuegra and Ginny Boggess to me but I’m confused a bit as Boggess already accepted the Toledo job.  Does this mean they are hiring Consuegra?

Yeah that's wild. I thought it was Boggess too. Cara just took a transfer in four days ago as well.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1431 on: April 16, 2024, 12:44:15 PM »

The Blonde Woman on the right is Kristen Gillespie. And I’ve known for about 8 days or so now that she would be the next MUWBB Head Coach unless something unexpected happened last minute.

It was always going to be wither Boggess or Gillespie based on mutual interest, unless something unusual happened last minute.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1432 on: April 16, 2024, 12:52:32 PM »
The Blonde Woman on the right is Kristen Gillespie. And I’ve known for about 8 days or so now that she would be the next MUWBB Head Coach unless something unexpected happened last minute.

It was always going to be wither Boggess or Gillespie based on mutual interest, unless something unusual happened last minute.

Why wait though?  I don’t understand why this is dragging out so long especially with transfers picking new schools every day.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1433 on: April 16, 2024, 01:09:52 PM »
Why wait though?  I don’t understand why this is dragging out so long especially with transfers picking new schools every day.

I’m not sure.

I know they wanted to interview a few other people including Colleen Mullen, HC Albany who was also a top assistant at Army under Dave Magarity. If the name sounds familiar, he is the dad of previously mentioned Holy Cross Head Coach Maureen Magarity. Things like that.

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1434 on: April 16, 2024, 01:12:57 PM »
So  according to Skim Mulkey, it’s Gillespie or Consuegra.  Consuegra is 28-34 over past 2 seasons.  Make it make sense. 

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1435 on: April 16, 2024, 01:33:44 PM »
So  according to Skim Mulkey, it’s Gillespie or Consuegra.  Consuegra is 28-34 over past 2 seasons.  Make it make sense.

They needed someone else to use for the reveal. The next MUWBB HC is Gillespie.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #1436 on: April 16, 2024, 04:24:43 PM »
I was perusing articles about the MUWBB coaching search and heres  a snipet from one of the articles:

Kristen Gillespie also enters the conversation with an impressive resume, marked by her teams’ high-scoring offenses and robust defensive strategies. Gillespie’s coaching philosophy centers around adaptability and player development, making her a candidate capable of elevating Marquette’s program to new heights. Her success in developing well-rounded players, both on and off the court, showcases her as not just a coach, but a mentor.

As speculation continues to build around Marquette’s search for a new head coach, fans and observers eagerly await the final decision. With a pool of candidates as diverse and talented as Raterman, Barnes, Harper, Boggess, and Gillespie, the program is poised for an exciting new chapter.

https://fanrecap.com/scoop-top-5-picks-for-marquette-womens-basketball-coach-unveiled-by-insider/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:28:07 PM by Ardmore Mug »

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1437 on: April 16, 2024, 04:53:36 PM »
I’m going with the off wall prediction… MU finds a way and keeps it in house with Justine, Cara… or some other blast from the past. Just seems crazy enough to happen. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1438 on: April 16, 2024, 07:11:51 PM »
I’m going with the off wall prediction… MU finds a way and keeps it in house with Justine, Cara… or some other blast from the past. Just seems crazy enough to happen.

Really off the wall would be Kieger returning 😂.  Yeah I don’t see that happening 😀.

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1439 on: April 16, 2024, 07:29:18 PM »
Can we please get new blood in here.  Please.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1440 on: April 16, 2024, 08:15:11 PM »
Can we please get new blood in here.  Please.

At this point I just want a Coach.  They are going to hire whoever they want to - no one is asking me what I think 😀.  But the more days that go by with no coach feels like more possible transfers we are losing out on.  It is two weeks tomorrow since Duffy’s departure was announced - they only took one week to hire Duffy when Kieger left.

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1441 on: April 16, 2024, 09:26:43 PM »
I don’t want “just a coach”.  But I knew this is how it would play out.  If it’s Consuegra who is 6 games under .500 in the past 2 years, I’ll be out playing in traffic. WTH

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1442 on: April 16, 2024, 09:32:38 PM »
I don’t want “just a coach”.  But I knew this is how it would play out.  If it’s Consuegra who is 6 games under .500 in the past 2 years, I’ll be out playing in traffic. WTH

There is absolutely nothing I can do about who they hire.  I am ready for them to finally announce a hire.  I wrongly expected the timeline to be like it was last time.  There have been quite a few rumors I’ve heard and am interested in seeing who they finally hire.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1443 on: April 16, 2024, 10:08:47 PM »
There is absolutely nothing I can do about who they hire.  I am ready for them to finally announce a hire.  I wrongly expected the timeline to be like it was last time.  There have been quite a few rumors I’ve heard and am interested in seeing who they finally hire.

That’s interesting and much different than my information. All of my information has suggested only 2 people have been serious or advanced candidates for the position, as opposed to many. And it’s been just one candidate for over a week now.

That doesn’t mean many others weren’t contacted. It means these were the two serious candidates based on mutual interest. I could have instead posted some sort of exciting razzle dazzle, plot twists, misdirection, etc…but I instead just posted what I knew when I knew it.

I didn’t bump my previous post later last night by accident or coincidence before what happened today. And my information has stayed the same for over a week now.

The only surprise for me was seeing Consuegra’s photo in the reveal. But I suppose they can’t use Boggess’ photo after she took the Toledo job. If anything it should be telling for some that he didn’t use Barnes or Harper in the photo.

Gillespie’s agent likes to have a little fun. He also represents Caldwell, who was the previous Skim Milkey cartoon reveal. So yes, I would be very surprised if it wasn’t Gillespie.

I previously posted that not everything is always what it seems.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1444 on: April 16, 2024, 10:18:59 PM »
Everyone on this board probably knows more than what I do.  I’ve heard lots of names mentioned but have no idea who has been seriously considered.  I still don’t understand though why it’s taking this long especially if it is Gillespie they are hiring.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1445 on: April 16, 2024, 10:38:59 PM »
Everyone on this board probably knows more than what I do.  I’ve heard lots of names mentioned but have no idea who has been seriously considered.  I still don’t understand though why it’s taking this long especially if it is Gillespie they are hiring.

We can always more specifically get into individual candidates after they name a coach. But the general theme I’ve seen in posts here or elsewhere, is why not this or that coach, when I know some of those coaches declined interest in the job. And the suggestions are often about getting this or that coach as opposed to the selling process to them.

There is no great coach out there that they somehow missed, that also has high interest in the job.

I don’t know why it took a little bit longer than expected, and whether that is something contractual or not. But the entire process took 2 weeks which isn’t a long time. I do think they were caught off guard by a couple of things. I do also understand that it’s tough timing because of the roster and portal etc…but it’s a long term decision, a long term hire. (idealistically)

You certainly do know more than many posters here about the program and Women’s hoops across the country. And I do appreciate your interest and contributions.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1446 on: April 17, 2024, 07:16:36 AM »
Two weeks feels long to me when you look at how depleted their roster is (meaning they really need transfers), how quickly some other schools have filled openings this year and because they filled the opening in exactly one week last time.

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1447 on: April 17, 2024, 08:22:42 AM »
Maybe this is common knowledge and I’m late to game, but just learned thru a fairly well connected MU booster that Consuegra is related to an Asst AD at MU…. This may have been done before it started.  Sad. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1448 on: April 17, 2024, 08:30:40 AM »
Maybe this is common knowledge and I’m late to game, but just learned thru a fairly well connected MU booster that Consuegra is related to an Asst AD at MU…. This may have been done before it started.  Sad. 

Yes. She is related to Danielle Josetti, who is an associate athletic director. Consuegra and Josetti are married to brothers (?) I believe.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 08:42:47 AM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1449 on: April 17, 2024, 08:33:20 AM »
If this is true, it certainly speaks volumes about the lack of respect and seriousness for the MU Women's Basketball program. Men's coach is selected by the AD and President. Women's coach by an Assistant AD?  :(

feedback