[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 38723 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #400 on: February 21, 2024, 12:44:41 PM »
Good luck! I thought I was crazy for planning two in one year, back to back is wild! Do you give yourself any time to recover after the first?

I’ve done marathons 4 and 5 weeks apart three times and it’s gone fine.  I did it last year with two spring marathons 5 weeks apart.  I usually take at least 5 days off after the first marathon and last spring I did a 10 mile long run 2 weeks post marathon and 17 miles 3 weeks post marathons (my plan called for 15-20 miles for that run).

I know people who have run marathons one week apart and even on back to back days - I don’t think I could do that.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #401 on: February 21, 2024, 12:47:22 PM »
New England is very hilly for running in general and not the slow rolling kind. 

Not that you probably want to eat after the marathon, but there is very good old school New England seafood restaurant right on the water called Stowe's.  They also carry Foxon Park beverages (soda) which means you can get a birch beer (soda) with your meal.

Thanks.  I seldom partake in much food or beer right after the races.  But I do like to go to a restaurant and indulge a bit after I get cleaned up.  And part of the fun of this journey for me is trying different local  beers after the race 😀

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #402 on: February 21, 2024, 01:19:23 PM »
I’ve done marathons 4 and 5 weeks apart three times and it’s gone fine.  I did it last year with two spring marathons 5 weeks apart.  I usually take at least 5 days off after the first marathon and last spring I did a 10 mile long run 2 weeks post marathon and 17 miles 3 weeks post marathons (my plan called for 15-20 miles for that run).

I know people who have run marathons one week apart and even on back to back days - I don’t think I could do that.

Wow, nice work! that makes me less concerned about my choices haha.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #403 on: March 17, 2024, 03:17:03 PM »
I'm in full taper mode and 'only' had to run 9 miles for my long run this week :).  The weather isn't looking the greatest for race day but nothing I can do about that.  I'm getting excited about running my first marathon in almost a year - I ran marathons last April and May but none in the fall last year.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2024, 05:57:02 PM »
I'm in full taper mode and 'only' had to run 9 miles for my long run this week :).  The weather isn't looking the greatest for race day but nothing I can do about that.  I'm getting excited about running my first marathon in almost a year - I ran marathons last April and May but none in the fall last year.

Kick ass and good luck!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2024, 07:14:02 PM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #406 on: March 18, 2024, 09:11:53 PM »
Very sad that Kenyan runner died. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #407 on: March 20, 2024, 11:48:59 AM »
Got to 18mi a week and a half ago and at about 12.5mi my knee just gave out with sharp pain. Haven't done any lifting, or running since then. About to try to get back out there today to finish my last training week strong before I start my taper.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #408 on: March 20, 2024, 01:50:26 PM »
Got to 18mi a week and a half ago and at about 12.5mi my knee just gave out with sharp pain. Haven't done any lifting, or running since then. About to try to get back out there today to finish my last training week strong before I start my taper.

Happened to me when I was training for my first one too. I'd definitely recommend trying to get back out there but don't push it if there's a decent amount of pain. Rest and save it for race day.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2024, 02:23:42 PM »
Happened to me when I was training for my first one too. I'd definitely recommend trying to get back out there but don't push it if there's a decent amount of pain. Rest and save it for race day.

Wasn't too bad in terms of today, I managed 7.02mi at 9:10/mi but definitely didn't feel "right". Will try to keep my remaining runs more casually paced till race day. Shooting for an 3:50ish time.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #410 on: March 23, 2024, 02:43:52 PM »
Marathon 16 and State 13 done today in Connecticut.  It was a tough one with heavy rain for the whole race.  Happy to have this one done.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #411 on: March 23, 2024, 02:50:13 PM »
Marathon 16 and State 13 done today in Connecticut.  It was a tough one with heavy rain for the whole race.  Happy to have this one done.

Congrats!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #412 on: March 23, 2024, 02:55:49 PM »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #413 on: March 23, 2024, 08:13:57 PM »

Awesome! 
Sorry about my local weather with the Noreaster today..
I hope it was flat enough near the Sound.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #414 on: March 23, 2024, 08:30:48 PM »
Anyone hear of the Barkley Marathon? Sounds like a pretty grueling ultra marathon, but it apparently starts when the main dude lights up his Marlboro. I might kinda dig it

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #415 on: March 23, 2024, 09:10:11 PM »
Awesome! 
Sorry about my local weather with the Noreaster today..
I hope it was flat enough near the Sound.

Thanks.  It was two loops - miles 1-4 are relatively flat and then you have 5 miles with hills - some rolling and some bigger.  And then relatively flat the rest of the way.  The two loops like of helped as I knew what to expect for hills in the second half. 

It’s a small race and I heard a number of people dropped out or dropped down to the half.  I had no one to follow at times and went down the wrong road for a little bit around mile 14 - oops 😂

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2024, 10:27:00 PM »
NYC lottery in two days. Don’t want to book a fall marathon until I hear if I get in, even if that’s unlikely.

I think I’m deciding between Portland, OR and Portland, ME (Maine Marathon).

Has anyone run either?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2024, 06:32:26 AM »
NYC lottery in two days. Don’t want to book a fall marathon until I hear if I get in, even if that’s unlikely.

Has anyone run either?

Good luck with the lottery!

I haven’t run either of those states yet.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2024, 07:42:50 AM »

Has anyone run either?

Portland, ME is very cool!
But I have not run there so cannot comment.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2024, 07:54:16 AM »
Portland, ME is very cool!
But I have not run there so cannot comment.

Endorse.  Great city.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2024, 09:26:23 AM »

Has anyone run either?

Good luck in the lottery!
Maigh Eo for Sam