[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 120479 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
MU Women's Basketball Thread
« on: October 05, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »
Starting a thread for the 19-20 Marquette Women's Basketball Season.

I will start it out with an article from Ben Steele in the Journal-Sentinel after today's open practice:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2019/10/05/new-marquette-womens-basketball-coach-megan-duffy-has-young-team/3865709002/?fbclid=IwAR0oOV3BKz4bMWzGfZinmVV0JKldDDcDGdPoitLyf7lZiwWqLIzkbmXJPmo

They open the regular season one month from today with one of their 'scream games' hosting school kids on a field trip.  They host another one of those during the BE season also.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 08:33:18 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: 2019-20 MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »
No surprise with DePaul being picked the preseason favorite and Seton Hall's Shadeen Samuels is the preseason POY in the Big East

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2019/10/10/womens-basketball-depaul-unanimously-selected-bigeastwbb-preseason-favorite.aspx

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2019/10/10/womens-basketball-seton-halls-samuels-selected-big-east-preseason-player-of-the-year.aspx

Now the two things that did surprise me was the preseason freshman of the year - Marquette's Jordan King and Marquette getting picked 9th. I didn't think any of the 6 frosh who stayed after Kieger left were highly rated enough to garner an honor like that (their highest rated recruit that Kieger originally signed ended up at Virginia). And while I know Marquette lost a lot to graduation, I can't believe they got picked below Xavier of all teams. Xavier has been just awful the last few years.

Marquette's Selena Lott was also named to the preseason BE first team - for some reason they have 11 players on there in the preseason for the Women - postseason honors are smaller sizes for firs team.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
No surprise with DePaul being picked the preseason favorite and Seton Hall's Shadeen Samuels is the preseason POY in the Big East

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2019/10/10/womens-basketball-depaul-unanimously-selected-bigeastwbb-preseason-favorite.aspx

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2019/10/10/womens-basketball-seton-halls-samuels-selected-big-east-preseason-player-of-the-year.aspx

Now the two things that did surprise me was the preseason freshman of the year - Marquette's Jordan King and Marquette getting picked 9th. I didn't think any of the 6 frosh who stayed after Kieger left were highly rated enough to garner an honor like that (their highest rated recruit that Kieger originally signed ended up at Virginia). And while I know Marquette lost a lot to graduation, I can't believe they got picked below Xavier of all teams. Xavier has been just awful the last few years.

Marquette's Selena Lott was also named to the preseason BE first team - for some reason they have 11 players on there in the preseason for the Women - postseason honors are smaller sizes for firs team.

Any relation to Jamil Lott who played here under Crean?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
Any relation to Jamil Lott who played here under Crean?

Not that I know of.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
How about Ronnie?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »
Looking forward to getting my first look at this year's team at this afternoon's exhibition game.  Time to start trying to learn new names and numbers :).

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 04:34:13 PM »
Shouldn't this thread be in Hanging in the Al?
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »
Jordan King is gonna be very good

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
Shouldn't this thread be in Hanging in the Al?

I get grief most times I post about Women's Hoops in there but I have no problem with it being in there.  I just would love somewhere to talk about the Women's team with a few people.  It was fun watching them today - hard to judge much from the level of opponent they were playing.  But I definitely think they will be way better than the 9th place team in the Big East...

Does anyone know if freshman Claire Kaifes is hurt?  She wasn't in uniform today.  I think everyone else in uniform saw some action today - was going to verify on the box score but MU doesn't have that posted which is unusual at this hour. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:42:37 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Looking forward to the scream game today as I always call these day time field trip games :) and getting my first regular season look at this team.

Go Marquette!!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 12:39:54 PM »
They are not gonna be great this year...

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
They are not gonna be great this year...

I can't argue with that - there's plenty to work on as shown in today's game.  But I will still be there cheering them on and the start of the college basketball season is one of my favorite times of the year.  I was expecting this to be a tough season for a couple years - there's not a whole lot of prior experience for the returning players.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:58:31 PM by Marquette Fan »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »
Always appreciate your updates Marquette Fan.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
They are hosting a donate life game tomorrow and Ben Steele has a nice article about it and Tori McCoy:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2019/11/06/marquette-basketball-player-tori-mccoy-waiting-kidney-donation/4171753002/

There's been a lot of attention for frosh Jordan King of course who got preseason Big East frosh of the year honors and did have 7 assists yesterday.  She's also the freshmen ball handler who makes me the least nervous :).  But I must say I'm excited about the potential of frosh Camryn Taylor - there's still room to improve and grow but she looks like she's going to be a solid post player.

Lott matched her uniform number with a career high 24 yesterday and will be needed to put up a lot of points in games this year for MU to pull out victories. 

Frosh Claire Kaifes was in uniform yesterday after being in sweats for the preseason game but didn't see any action.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »
The Illinois kids are good. Taylor played on the state powerhouse so she knows how to play with others at her skill level.

King carried Hononegah kicking and screaming to a third place finish at state last year. That team was her and nobody else.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 10:04:04 PM »
The Illinois kids are good. Taylor played on the state powerhouse so she knows how to play with others at her skill level.

King carried Hononegah kicking and screaming to a third place finish at state last year. That team was her and nobody else.

I could see Taylor moving into the starting lineup later this season.  King looks to be in the starting lineup to stay for 4 years.  I thought I saw King's HS coach Randy Weibel at the game yesterday - I remember his daughter Courtney playing at MU.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 10:20:24 PM »
It was a close game tonight until the 4th quarter when Marquette took control and won 92-71.  Some random thoughts:

-Chloe Marotta had a career high for points (20) and rebounds (12) and recorded her first double-double
-Selena Lott matched her career high of 24 points that she had in Tuesday's game and added 8 assists. 
-Camryn Taylor had 15 points on 6-8 shooting from the field and added 7 rebounds.
-Frosh Claire Kaifes saw her first playing time of the season and had some nice passes.
-LVK had a nice first half

-A lot of turnovers again with 17 but I expect the turnover number to be high all season
-They struggled quite a bit of this game with their offense
-There is a lot to work on still

-Marquette tweeted during the game that all 11 available players saw action but I don't recall seeing Strother in the game and she's not in the boxscore - only 10 players are in the boxscore.

They have a lot of games early and next host Illinois State at 2P Sunday - that will probably be a very small crowd with it conflicting with the Packers game.

Highlighting Donate Life was a neat thing to do but unfortunately there weren't many people there to see this - it might be good if they could do it at a Men's game also.  In any case, I really hope Tori McCoy can find a kidney donor soon...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 09:51:57 AM »
Thanks for the recap. I appreciate it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »
I haven’t seen the team yet this year, but it looks like they are a lot better than expected (second to last in BE is a low bar). True?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »
They have a lot of games early and next host Illinois State at 2P Sunday - that will probably be a very small crowd with it conflicting with the Packers game.

The girls youth team I coach is scrimmaging during halftime of the Women's game on Sun.  I'm not sure if a small crowd is a good or bad thing for us.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »
I haven’t seen the team yet this year, but it looks like they are a lot better than expected (second to last in BE is a low bar). True?

They are about what I expected so far.  They have played two buy games so far and beaten teams they should have beaten at home.  But they struggled at times in both games and last night's game was one of those ones where the final score makes the game look like more of a blowout than it was.  They held a slim 5 point lead to start the 4th quarter but then pulled away nicely.  I'm not sure what kind of team Illinois State has but I expect them to have a lot more trouble against Northwestern, UWGB and Mississsippi State. 

I also think they were picked lower than they should have been in the Big East.  I still can't figure out how they were picked below Xavier - they've been by far the worst team in the Big East for the last few years and have a new coach also.  It's not like they had a ton of young talent that made me think they were going to take off this season. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
The girls youth team I coach is scrimmaging during halftime of the Women's game on Sun.  I'm not sure if a small crowd is a good or bad thing for us.

I hope they have fun - I always enjoy watching kids play at halftime.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
Nice overall team effort as Marquette starts the season 3-0.  These were important wins to pick up as in my opinion these were all teams they should have beaten.  And they were good wins to pick up before the tougher part of their schedule starts.

My favorite stat from today is MU's 21 assists to only 13 turnovers.  LVK started today in place of Anderson and had a solid game with 14 points on 6-8 shooting from the field and adding 6 rebounds.  Chloe Marotta had another nice rebounding game leading MU with 9 rebounds.  Selena Lott sat a lot in the first half after picking up her second foul with about a minute to go in the first quarter.  Nirel Lougbo had a nice game going 4 of 5 from the field.  Spingola didn't shoot a lot today but did have a team high 6 assists.

They finish up their season opening 4 game home stand hosting Northwestern on Thursday before going on the road for the first time at UWGB on Tue 11/19.  They then host Mississippi State on November 25th and aren't home again for almost a month - Sat 12/21 vs. Belmont.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 06:58:07 PM »
Selena Lott was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll after a pretty good first three games:

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2019/11/11/womens-basketball-elmore-correa-claim-seasons-first-bigeastwbb-weekly-awards.aspx

Selena Lott, Marquette, Jr., G
Lott posted two of the highest scoring outings of the week, going for back-to-back 24-point performances in wins over Morgan State and St. Francis (N.Y.). MU went 3-0 including a win over Illinois State, with Lott averaging a team-best 17.7 points along with 5.3 assists.

Those 24 points in the first two games were a new career high for her also.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »
4 recruits signed for next season and good to see some height added:

https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/11/13/womens-basketball-marquette-signs-four-in-recruiting-class.aspx?path=wbball

They only have two seniors but Tori McCoy isn't an active player and I'm guessing her scholarship doesn't count toward their limit.  And they're below the limit of 15 already anyway.  There are 12 players on the roster this season if you don't count McCoy and the limit is 15 for women's bball but they seldom have that many players on their roster due to not enough pt to go around and having to fund that many scholarships also.  They have one transfer sitting out this season so if no one leaves after this season, in 20-21 it would be 4 freshmen, 7 sophomores, 1 junior and 2 seniors (not counting McCoy here) for a total of 14 scholarship players.

And an anonymous eagle article about the recruits:

https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/11/13/womens-basketball-marquette-signs-four-in-recruiting-class.aspx?path=wbball

feedback