Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206305 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #1350 on: October 21, 2019, 02:36:33 PM »
Remember when Al punched Bernard Toone at halftime.  In Al’s words...”very hard” after throwing him up against a wall.  What would have happened today if Al had done that?  Seriously?

Sometimes these things get way over played in my opinion.  And yes, I think it is b3cause we are softer than we used to be.  Al would have been highly scrutinized for what he did, though it did exactly what he was hoping for.  If memory serves, all involved came to understand what it was and people didn’t lose their jobs or collective minds because of it.  Thank God video wasn’t around then, or some of the outage of today, in my opinion.

Warriors were down at half in the first game of the Tourney in Omaha vs. Cincinnati. Came back to win on their magical ride to the 1977 Championship. In fact, MU was behind at half throughout the tournament (vs. Cincinnati, Kansas State, and Wake Forest) until reaching the FF in ATL. There they led both games at halftime.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: October 21, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »
Yeah! I wish we were back in the good old days when a coach could punch a player in the face and everybody would celebrate it as a great motivational tactic!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: October 21, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
Yeah! I wish we were back in the good old days when a coach could punch a player in the face and everybody would celebrate it as a great motivational tactic!

Like Tom Izzo last year?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: October 21, 2019, 03:19:12 PM »
Latrell Sprewell tried to motivate PJ Carlesimo and he got suspended for the rest of the season.

Soft!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: October 21, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »
Like Tom Izzo last year?

Exactly. I bow to Izzo, and I'm p-o-ed at the PC police who had the temerity to criticize him.

I think every college basketball player should get punched in the face a minimum of 5 times per season. Will toughen them up for the real world, where their bosses will constantly punch them in the face.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1355 on: October 21, 2019, 03:22:27 PM »

Sometimes it is necessary...sometimes kids need to be spanked...a different, tougher love world back then.  Yes, I miss it...sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:24:14 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: October 21, 2019, 03:26:44 PM »
Sometimes it is necessary...sometimes kids need to be spanked...a different, tougher love world back then.  Yes, I miss it...sometimes.

You know...I'm not necessarily opposed to spanking kids...but if one of my kids' coaches ever tries it -- particularly a college coach -- there's going to be a conversation.  And potentially a police report and litigation.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: October 21, 2019, 03:28:47 PM »

You miss being spanked or you miss physically dominating children?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1358 on: October 21, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
You know...I'm not necessarily opposed to spanking kids...but if one of my kids' coaches ever tries it -- particularly a college coach -- there's going to be a conversation.  And potentially a police report and litigation.

Lighten up, Francis!

Punching kids in the face is great! And why stop there?

I long for the good old days when you could tell a broad to shut up and get naked, "coloreds" knew their place, anybody could tell homo jokes in public whenever they wanted, and the damn PC police didn't freak out just because folks might have some fun making racial slurs against Hispanics.

Oh, and if a few little Catholic boys got to spend "special time" with their priests, who did it hurt, really?

Damn, those were the good old days!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1359 on: October 21, 2019, 03:34:54 PM »
If Wojo punched a player at the halftime of a game, he would be fired immediately and it would be a long time before he coached again.  That is a much more just outcome than allowing a coach, no matter how successful, to get away with physical abuse. 

Yeah I know we like the story because Al did it.  That doesn't make it right.  Society has evolved for the better.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: October 21, 2019, 03:44:59 PM »
If Wojo punched a player at the halftime of a game, he would be fired immediately and it would be a long time before he coached again.  That is a much more just outcome than allowing a coach, no matter how successful, to get away with physical abuse. 

Yeah I know we like the story because Al did it.  That doesn't make it right.  Society has evolved for the better.

This. Notice an Alum like Wardle gets shunned on here for his altercation with a player but people get misty eyed thinking of Al punching a player. We only like it because it's the legend of Al
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1361 on: October 21, 2019, 03:46:07 PM »

This is what came to my head as well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1362 on: October 21, 2019, 04:01:00 PM »
Victim, always

Simply asked a question, always glad to have your input in these matters...of course.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1363 on: October 21, 2019, 08:13:49 PM »
Should we rip Al’s statue down for his egregious actions?

Sorry, I don’t think so.  Al knew how to motivate people.  Sounds like some of you are quite appalled at the actions.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1364 on: October 21, 2019, 08:33:24 PM »

If I sent my kid to play for Al McGuire and Al got rough with him, but afterward I found out from my son and the team that it was not out of bounds...I would let it go.  If my son had an issue with it, or it was meant to injure...different response.

Totally get your point, again I guess it comes from our life experiences, etc. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1365 on: October 21, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »

Sorry, I don’t think so.  Al knew how to motivate people.  Sounds like some of you are quite appalled at the actions.

I'm not appalled but...

To paraphrase out most prodigious poster, I guess for you it's not what a coach does, it's the coach who's doing it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:27:55 PM by Lennys Tap »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: October 21, 2019, 09:11:48 PM »
If I sent my kid to play for Al McGuire and Al got rough with him, but afterward I found out from my son and the team that it was not out of bounds...I would let it go.  If my son had an issue with it, or it was meant to injure...different response.

Totally get your point, again I guess it comes from our life experiences, etc.

Well, you’ve kind of defined the issue out of existence, now haven’t you? I’d agree, if someone did something and I found out it wasn’t out of bounds, well I’d let it go too. Who wouldn’t?  After all, the premise assumes it’s “not out of bounds.”  The entire question here is “what’s out of bounds?”

If a coach ever spanked or punched one of my kids...well...that would be out of bounds. You can say what you want about life experiences, that’s still out of bounds. I’d never heard this Al story before today...not sure how I’ve missed it. If Al punched one of his players, that was out of bounds. Yes, even if it was St. Al.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1367 on: October 21, 2019, 09:43:05 PM »

It could be that there's a reasonable middleground between "tear down the statue" and "slapping kids is cool."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1368 on: October 22, 2019, 01:09:08 AM »
It could be that there's a reasonable middleground between "tear down the statue" and "slapping kids is cool."

Indeed...middle ground seems so lacking these days, though I don’t recall anyone saying slapping kids is cool.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1369 on: October 22, 2019, 01:15:25 AM »
This. Notice an Alum like Wardle gets shunned on here for his altercation with a player but people get misty eyed thinking of Al punching a player. We only like it because it's the legend of Al

Yup, there are double standards in life....agree completely. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1370 on: October 22, 2019, 01:22:02 AM »

And here you were saying something about a middle ground just a few posts ago...

No, I miss a world where a little tough love is required...there is such a thing as tough love and done without malice.  The key is the second part.  Physically dominating children?  Good Lord. Give it a rest.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1371 on: October 22, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »
And here you were saying something about a middle ground just a few posts ago...

No, I miss a world where a little tough love is required...there is such a thing as tough love and done without malice.  The key is the second part.  Physically dominating children?  Good Lord. Give it a rest.

There's tough love that doesn't necessarily mean spanking or physical violence though. I had to run sprints for two hours before school because I over slept practice in high school. That's tough love that works. Countless studies show violence toward children is ineffective however. Not trying to tell anyone how to raise their kids or coach or whatever but simply state that there's an effective middle ground that doesn't necessitate violence.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:11:08 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1372 on: October 22, 2019, 09:44:06 AM »
What a fun thread.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1373 on: October 22, 2019, 10:21:26 AM »
Indeed...middle ground seems so lacking these days, though I don’t recall anyone saying slapping kids is cool.

You're right. You didn't literally use the word "cool," Instead, you've spoken glowingly of Al slapping a player as if it were one of his finest moments rather than one of his worst.
Anytime you need to strike a person to motivate or discipline, you've failed as a parent/coach/teacher.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1374 on: October 22, 2019, 11:45:15 AM »
There's tough love that doesn't necessarily mean spanking or physical violence though. I had to run sprints for two hours before school because I over slept practice in high school. That's tough love that works. Countless studies show violence toward children is ineffective however. Not trying to tell anyone how to raise their kids or coach or whatever but simply state that there's an effective middle ground that doesn't necessitate violence.

I can give you whole generations of people who were spanked and did just fine in life and some that were impacted.  Universal solutions don’t work...one size fits all doesn’t work...your studies will tell you the same thing.  Works for some, not for all.  But yes, I absolutely agree tough love doesn’t have to mean hitting...but it can for some.  It depends.    People respond differently....that’s why they are human beings and respond differently to different approaches.

feedback