Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Officiating and physical play  (Read 3272 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Officiating and physical play
« on: February 05, 2020, 12:55:30 PM »
Jay Bilas has declared freedom of movement dead in college basketball -- stating online and on air that officiating has negatively affected the game:

"The most important and impactful factor in the drop in level of play has been officiating...The officials, generally and overall, do a great job. However, officials are not allowed to call what they want, when they want...the officials also answer to the rules committee and the directives and emphases thrust upon them. To this point in the season, the supervisors and the rules committee have failed the officials, and, by extension, have failed the game."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28409605/jay-bilas-college-basketball-rankings-2019-20-version-20

This topic seems to be getting a lot of attention lately:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article239608328.html

https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball/coach-k-louisville-brutal-game

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/carolina/sec-conspiracy-against-gamecocks-no-frank-martin-s-team-just/article_c2ec3dcc-41f0-11ea-8eb3-db4368efe84c.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872606-extended-3-point-arc-is-contributing-to-unpredictable-college-basketball-season

According to the last article, 2019-20 is the least efficient season in KenPom history.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:57:04 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Officiating and physical play
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
I wish the college game was officiated like the NBA game. Rarely does one become a whistlefest like we see in college.

I'm all for freedom of movement, but there are some calls that the contact doesn't impede or have any effect on the play. Let that sh*t go, keep the game moving.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 01:01:37 PM »
Call the foul when it impacts the play.  The NBA has gotten very good about understanding that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »
Jay Bilas has declared freedom of movement dead in college basketball -- stating online and on air that officiating has negatively affected the game:

"The most important and impactful factor in the drop in level of play has been officiating...The officials, generally and overall, do a great job. However, officials are not allowed to call what they want, when they want...the officials also answer to the rules committee and the directives and emphases thrust upon them. To this point in the season, the supervisors and the rules committee have failed the officials, and, by extension, have failed the game."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28409605/jay-bilas-college-basketball-rankings-2019-20-version-20

This topic seems to be getting a lot of attention lately:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article239608328.html

https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball/coach-k-louisville-brutal-game

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/carolina/sec-conspiracy-against-gamecocks-no-frank-martin-s-team-just/article_c2ec3dcc-41f0-11ea-8eb3-db4368efe84c.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872606-extended-3-point-arc-is-contributing-to-unpredictable-college-basketball-season

According to the last article, 2019-20 is the least efficient season in KenPom history.

he said all this during the ohio state at michigan game.  it was sparked by an inbound pass play-ohio state was defending michigan inbound under michigan basket.  the OSU player literally grabbed the michigan player coming across the lane, the ball deflected off his hands and OSU was rewarded the ball-nasty non-call. 

the amount of physical play is so random, one hardly knows what a foul is anymore
don't...don't don't don't don't

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »
Maybe it’s just me but I feel like Bilas has been on an officiating attack crusade for a while now, similar to WhoaJoes spread the wealth and stop over feeding Markus crusade

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Maybe it’s just me but I feel like Bilas has been on an officiating attack crusade for a while now, similar to WhoaJoes spread the wealth and stop over feeding Markus crusade

It's more like share the load and the pain so Markus is fresh for the postseason IF Marquette makes the NCAA tournament.

It's also a prediction that if it doesn't happen starting with the Butler game and continuing forward, the end of this season will look like the end of last season.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
Why did you have to go and summon It?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 02:46:04 PM »
I have been saying this for some time because this greatly affects Markus Howard. He is being pushed and pulled all the time and the officials let it go. I asked earlier this year if the freedom of movement rules were still in effect and no one seemed to know. Markus would have a much easier time, and probably score more points, if the freedom of movement rules were enforced.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 02:53:34 PM »

If WhoaJoe is summoned enough times or if we see behind his curtain enough we'll all run out of SAN.

This is a very specific joke but I'm very proud of it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 03:33:46 PM »
I wish the college game was officiated like the NBA game. Rarely does one become a whistlefest like we see in college.

I'm all for freedom of movement, but there are some calls that the contact doesn't impede or have any effect on the play. Let that sh*t go, keep the game moving.

Agreed. I've long believed that the best way to ref a game would be to have the refs call travelling like they do in college and freedom of movement calls like they do in the NBA.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »
Agreed. I've long believed that the best way to ref a game would be to have the refs call travelling like they do in college and freedom of movement calls like they do in the NBA.
While I agree with you in general, I hate that college travel call when a guy has the ball and takes a step before he starts his drive.  Other than that, agree 100% about traveling. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »
The biggest difference in college over pros is consistency. Freelancers with a different boss in every conference versus a centralized command and control.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »
The worst officiating I ever saw was in the NBA.

This Uncle Fester looking ref(I want to say Joey Crawford) hit Tim Duncan with two bogus calls on back to back trips on offense and defense within the first two minutes of a playoff game. When Duncan was called to the bench by Pop, Duncan just looked at the ref in disbelief as he walked to the sideline. He didn't yell, he didn't glare, and he didn't wave his arms. The ref suddenly sprinted towards Duncan, like he was going to T him up. If Pop hadn't stepped between the ref and Duncan things could easily have escalated. It wasn't that long after, when the Tim Donaghy scandal broke.

Donaghy's story on organized crimes involvement in sports betting is the reason I don't engage in anything more than friendly wagers.

It also adds just a bit of cynical skepticism when some of these crazy upsets happen.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:38:32 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 11:44:25 PM »
The biggest difference in college over pros is consistency. Freelancers with a different boss in every conference versus a centralized command and control.
This is exactly the issue.  I really like Bilas analysis in general and how he usually adds a bit of humor to it.  In this case he stepped up on the bully pulpit but only did half the job.  NCAA officiating is in fact badly broken.  The freedom of movement thing is the latest symptom.  Inconsistency is the latent disease.  I'd really like a power conference like the Big East to take control of the issue and fix the problem, at least for the Big East season. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 07:23:10 AM »
This is exactly the issue.  I really like Bilas analysis in general and how he usually adds a bit of humor to it.  In this case he stepped up on the bully pulpit but only did half the job.  NCAA officiating is in fact badly broken.  The freedom of movement thing is the latest symptom.  Inconsistency is the latent disease.  I'd really like a power conference like the Big East to take control of the issue and fix the problem, at least for the Big East season.

No conference does that because then it inherently harms the conference come tournament time. For years the Big East was much more physical than other conferences because of direction from the BEast leadership. However, once the Big East teams got to the tournament it really hurt them because they were getting called for fouls on stuff that went uncalled in the regular season.

Like it or not, the NCAA needs (it won't) fix this NCAA-wide, not having the conferences take their own actions.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."