[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 209077 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #1375 on: October 22, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »
I can give you whole generations of people who were spanked and did just fine in life and some that were impacted.  Universal solutions don’t work...one size fits all doesn’t work...your studies will tell you the same thing.  Works for some, not for all.  But yes, I absolutely agree tough love doesn’t have to mean hitting...but it can for some.  It depends.    People respond differently....that’s why they are human beings and respond differently to different approaches.

There are people that live through a wide variety of trauma and do 'just fine in life'.  It's not a real yardstick of determining anything of value.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1376 on: October 22, 2019, 12:37:51 PM »
There are people that live through a wide variety of trauma and do 'just fine in life'.  It's not a real yardstick of determining anything of value.

So lame. Spoken like a person who needed his parents, coaches and teachers to punch him in the face a few times a month.

Maybe you'd have responded to nunchucks, brass knuckles and whips, as well.

Slaves got lots of tough love in the real good old days!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1377 on: October 22, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »
I can give you whole generations of people who were spanked and did just fine in life and some that were impacted.  Universal solutions don’t work...one size fits all doesn’t work...your studies will tell you the same thing.  Works for some, not for all.  But yes, I absolutely agree tough love doesn’t have to mean hitting...but it can for some.  It depends.    People respond differently....that’s why they are human beings and respond differently to different approaches.

Studies will tell you that beating one's children is an effective form of disciplining them? What studies are those? And your "works for some" idea is ridiculous. How does one decide if it works? Beat the crap out of the kid for 7 or 8 years and see what happens? You cannot be serious.

The only people I know who hit (i.e.,abuse) their kids are ones who were hit (abused) themselves. Fortunately most have evolved past that stupid "It was good enough for me so it's good enough for you" viewpoint.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1378 on: October 22, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »
I cannot believe we are seriously discussing, and some people are looking back fondly, on an era when people thought that an adult assaulting another adult was an appropriate means of motivation.  I am not a zero-tolerance kind of guy, but on this, I am a zero tolerance kind of guy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1379 on: October 22, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
Studies will tell you that beating one's children is an effective form of disciplining them? What studies are those? And your "works for some" idea is ridiculous. How does one decide if it works? Beat the crap out of the kid for 7 or 8 years and see what happens? You cannot be serious.

The only people I know who hit (i.e.,abuse) their kids are ones who were hit (abused) themselves. Fortunately most have evolved past that stupid "It was good enough for me so it's good enough for you" viewpoint.

Cheeks worked with Bobby Knight. He is likely still under the effects of the Stockholm Syndrome.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1380 on: October 22, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
Cheeks worked with Bobby Knight. He is likely still under the effects of the Stockholm Syndrome.

Bobby only tough-lovingly throttled Neil Reed. Maybe hoopaloop, too.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1381 on: October 22, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »
So lame. Spoken like a person who needed his parents, coaches and teachers to punch him in the face a few times a month.

Maybe you'd have responded to nunchucks, brass knuckles and whips, as well.

Slaves got lots of tough love in the real good old days!

Nah, I followed the rules, self motivated, type A, solid grades and solid athletics.  Didn’t need that at all.  Some people did.

I remember watching KO at practice slap MacIlvaine on the hands every time he brought the ball down.  You could hear it throughout the gym, painful sound (don’t know if it hurt him or not).  It was effective.  Jim learned through that reaction not to being the ball down below his chest.  Was it abusive...I don’t know.  Was it painful...don’t know.  Was it effective? Seemed to be.  Were their other ways to coach him...sure.  Would they be as effective?  Don’t know.

Example of many.  Some guy named Al punched one of our players...yup...it happens.   What was intent...what was outcome...what did all parties believe to be the reasoning...etc, etc.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1382 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:32 PM »
  "Some girls, they like candy
And others, they like to grind
I'll settle for the back of your hand
Somewhere on my behind
Treat me like I'm a bad girl
Even when I'm being good to you
I don't want you to thank me
You can just spank me"

lyrics to hanky panky by "spank me" ciccone
don't...don't don't don't don't

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1383 on: October 22, 2019, 08:18:16 PM »
They way things are now days, if kids get spanked, it's considered child abuse. That's absolutely despicable. I got spanked as a kid. never once considered it child abuse. Don't hate my dad for it one iota either. That was the way he disciplined us kids, and it has had ZERO negative affect on any of us now. In fact, it has helped all of us in one way or another. Again, we are witnessing the wussification of America. That is NOT something to be proud of, at all.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1384 on: October 22, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
They way things are now days, if kids get spanked, it's considered child abuse. That's absolutely despicable. I got spanked as a kid. never once considered it child abuse. Don't hate my dad for it one iota either. That was the way he disciplined us kids, and it has had ZERO negative affect on any of us now. In fact, it has helped all of us in one way or another. Again, we are witnessing the wussification of America. That is NOT something to be proud of, at all.

I’ve seen some ironic posts before, but man...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: October 22, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
Best argument against spanking kids I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:35:14 PM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: October 22, 2019, 08:34:20 PM »

As to whether a simple spanking by a parent should be considered child abuse these days, I'd say it depends on the situation. I'd have to hear all the hows and whys and whats to judge.

But if a non-parent got physical with my son or daughter to "motivate" him or her, there would have been a lawsuit faster than you could say "choke Neil Reed." And I'd have won it, too.

And if any coach actually had punched my son or daughter in the face, I'd work as hard as I could to see that coach do jail time.

If you think it's somehow "manly" for Bobby Knight to do what he did to Neil Reed, guru, you have a much bigger problem than being a wussy. Indiana should have fired him on the spot. I like to think Marquette would fire Wojo immediately if he punched any of our players in the face.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #1387 on: October 22, 2019, 08:40:35 PM »
What a fun thread.
When I finish scrolling to the bottom I see the thread title at the bottom and say "it sure was!"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: October 22, 2019, 08:46:35 PM »

"Children who experience repeated use of corporal punishment tend to develop more aggressive behaviors"

Hmm
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1389 on: October 22, 2019, 09:02:34 PM »
Don't remember who the comedian was, but here was his joke (it's a joke) about spanking.

"I'm not a fan of spanking, think it's a bad idea. There's only one situation, once instance , in which I believe a parent should lay a hand on his or her child...and that's when they really piss you off!"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: October 22, 2019, 09:53:09 PM »
Don't remember who the comedian was, but here was his joke (it's a joke) about spanking.

"I'm not a fan of spanking, think it's a bad idea. There's only one situation, once instance , in which I believe a parent should lay a hand on his or her child...and that's when they really piss you off!"

Woulda been funnier if he had said "punching in the face" instead of spanking!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1391 on: October 22, 2019, 11:31:38 PM »

Good lord.  Did I say beating, no I said spanking.  Please get real.  And what I said is for SOME PEOPLE it is appropriate...one size solutions don’t work for all.  Even in studies that say spanking is harmful, they is not a panacea, but can be used which was my point.  Good article regarding past studies.

https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-speaks/position-statements/parenting-issues/corporal-punishment-a-scientific-review-of-its-use-in-discipline/research-on-disciplinary-spanking-is-misleading

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:36:05 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1392 on: October 22, 2019, 11:34:28 PM »
I cannot believe we are seriously discussing, and some people are looking back fondly, on an era when people thought that an adult assaulting another adult was an appropriate means of motivation.  I am not a zero-tolerance kind of guy, but on this, I am a zero tolerance kind of guy.

Rip down that Al statue, eh....take Al off the uniform?  Off the court?  Hmmm...

Sorry Sultan, different time, different type of hardened people back then.  Do I think Al assaulted Toone....no.  If you think it is as bad as you say, I am a bit surprised you aren’t demanding zero tolerance for past behavior since zero tolerance and all.  To me, that is ridiculous, but to each their own I guess.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: October 22, 2019, 11:55:35 PM »
Good lord.  Did I say beating, no I said spanking. 

No, what you went out of your way to say - resurrecting a dead thread - was:

Remember when Al punched Bernard Toone at halftime.  In Al’s words...”very hard” after throwing him up against a wall.  What would have happened today if Al had done that?  Seriously?

Sometimes these things get way over played in my opinion.  And yes, I think it is b3cause we are softer than we used to be.  Al would have been highly scrutinized for what he did, though it did exactly what he was hoping for.  If memory serves, all involved came to understand what it was and people didn’t lose their jobs or collective minds because of it.  Thank God video wasn’t around then, or some of the outage of today, in my opinion.

You certainly seem to be romanticizing the "good old days" when an authority figure not only could get away with punching a young person under his charge in the face but be applauded for it.

You seem to be suggesting that it would be outrageous that some might want to "highly scrutinize" a coach for punching a player in the face. And you apparently wish video didn't exist today, because it's likely to show an authority figure punching a kid in the face.

You have "lost your mind" here on Scoop over Buzz Williams' alleged misconduct ... but you would have been fine with Buzz punching Jake Thomas in the face to motivate him?

You're a dad. Can you honestly say you would applaud an authority figure for punching your kid in the face as a motivational tactic "because it did exactly what he was hoping for"?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1394 on: October 23, 2019, 06:46:35 AM »

A million chefs kisses
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1395 on: October 23, 2019, 12:35:40 PM »
I guess there is a group that don't believe society should improve / evolve.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: October 23, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »

Spoken like a guy who needs to be punched in the face. Preferably by a trusted authority figure.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #1397 on: October 23, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
I have 5 children and I never hit any of them. They all are now grown and turned out fine.Regardless of the fact that some people spank or hit their children, I think that hitting is an admission of defeat and counter productive. My father never hit me and I guess I turned out OK.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1398 on: October 23, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »
I have 5 children and I never hit any of them. They all are now grown and turned out fine.Regardless of the fact that some people spank or hit their children, I think that hitting is an admission of defeat and counter productive. My father never hit me and I guess I turned out OK.

harry,

Just anecdotal, but the only people I know who defend hitting kids are those who have been hit themselves. Once the "tradition" is broken I know of nobody who decided to reinstate it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: October 23, 2019, 09:56:50 PM »

Agreed. The biggest problem today is that we do not burn enough suspected witches at the stake.

feedback