Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 210306 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #1125 on: October 06, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »

Division 3 schools do this all the time.  At many schools athletics is basically an admissions excercise.  You start a sports program that brings in 20 students, those 20 students pay on average of $30,000, and you have just earned $600,000 you likely wouldn't have otherwise earned.  You offset that with a $10,000 coaching stipend, $5,000 for an assistant and $4,000 for equipment and travel and you have just put $580,000 toward your bottom line.

The ability to continue to play a sport that you have enjoyed throughout high school oftentimes makes the difference between attending one school (D3) and another where those opportunities may not be available (D1)
This is exactly what just happened at a D3 school up the road, only they started both men's and women's team so double your revenue numbers, though also factor in some pretty significant travel expenses.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: October 07, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »
https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr...n-loansharking

Now you might be asking...what does this have to do with anything?? Because of this part right here...

The court-authorized wiretaps also captured the defendants’ scheme to fix an NCAA college basketball game. To further the scheme, defendant Benjamin Bifalco offered members of a college basketball team thousands of dollars to intentionally lose the game.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1127 on: October 07, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »

Now you might be asking...what does this have to do with anything?? Because of this part right here...

The court-authorized wiretaps also captured the defendants’ scheme to fix an NCAA college basketball game. To further the scheme, defendant Benjamin Bifalco offered members of a college basketball team thousands of dollars to intentionally lose the game.

I am asking myself what this has to do with NIL?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1128 on: October 07, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »

I'm still asking what this has to do with anything.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1129 on: October 07, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1179415243350581249?s=21

Pac-12 women don’t need or want your concern

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: October 07, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
I'm still asking what this has to do with anything.

You're slow, I understand, so I will explain...this was a wire tap that the FBI used..they caught these guys trying to fix an NCAA game, and offered players $$ to purposely lose the game. This is the "fbi investigations" thread. If you don't see a connection/problem with PROOF that an NCAA game was attempted to be(and may have been) fixed, and players were offered $$ to lose a game on purpose..You don't find that...relevant??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1131 on: October 07, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »
You're slow, I understand, so I will explain...this was a wire tap that the FBI used..they caught these guys trying to fix an NCAA game, and offered players $$ to purposely lose the game. This is the "fbi investigations" thread. If you don't see a connection/problem with PROOF that an NCAA game was attempted to be(and may have been) fixed, and players were offered $$ to lose a game on purpose..You don't find that...relevant??

I mean it started as the FBI investigation thread....but we haven't been on that topic for about 25ish pages so I think confusion is understandable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1132 on: October 07, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »

Yes, this has happened throughout the history of college basketball.

In the early 1950’s, it happened at CCNY and Kentucky.  The mob fixed games at Boston College in the 1970’s and was briefly mentioned in GoodFellas.  Tulane suspended its program in the 80’s over point shaving.  Stevin Smith shaved points at Arizona State in the late 90’s.

Again, what does it have to do with NIL
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 01:21:40 PM by Uncle Rico »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: October 07, 2019, 01:28:18 PM »
I mean it started as the FBI investigation thread....but we haven't been on that topic for about 25ish pages so I think confusion is understandable.
How dare someone try to get back on topic. I honestly forgot what the Original topic was

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: October 07, 2019, 01:38:08 PM »

This isn't an "FBI investigations" thread. It's an "NCAA doesn't punish blue bloods that cheat" thread that morphed into a "Players making money from their likeness" thread.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: October 07, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
This isn't an "FBI investigations" thread. It's an "NCAA doesn't punish blue bloods that cheat" thread that morphed into a "Players making money from their likeness" thread.
thats your opinion

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1136 on: October 07, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »

In other news, something that has always illegal continues to be illegal and people were caught doing it.....neat
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1137 on: October 07, 2019, 03:12:07 PM »
In response to the question of whether parity exists in college basketball, there have been 164 1-seeds since 1979 when seeding began.

35% of 1-seeds, totaling 57 of the available 164 have come from 4 schools.  They are UNC (17), Duke and Kansas (14) and Kentucky with 12. 

42% of the 1-seeds have come from 6-teams if we include Virginia and Arizona who have been 1-seeds 7 and 6 times respectively.

55% of 1-seeds have come from 11 teams if we include those who have been a 1-seed 5 times

65% of 1-seeds have come from 15 teams if we include those who have been a 1-seed 4 times

Of North Carolina’s 17 1-seeds, 8 have come since 2000.  Duke has had 10 in that span and Kansas 9. 

Since 2000, Carolina has 3 NCAA titles, UConn has 3 and Duke has 3.  They’ve accounted for 9 of 20 NCAA championships.  Florida and Villanova have 2.  5 teams have won 13 of 20 championships in the 21st Century.

Kansas, Louisville, Kentucky, Michigan State and Syracuse each have one.  An argument can be made that each is a basketball blue blood and perennial contenders.  The “outliers” are Maryland and Virginia.  And both have rich, basketball histories.  Heck, only 5-schools can claim more 1-seeds than Virginia.

I know 1-seed is a subjective marker but it shows consistency and how there are very few schools that are real contenders year-in, year-out.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1138 on: October 07, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
It's even more consolidated in football.  The College Football Playoff has been going on for five years.  20 opportunities for participation:

Alabama has been in all five
Clemson has been in four
Oklahoma three
Ohio State two
And five teams once

And Alabama has been in four of the five championship games, playing Clemson three of those times.

I honestly don't know what "less parity" could possibly look like.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1139 on: October 07, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »
It's even more consolidated in football.  The College Football Playoff has been going on for five years.  20 opportunities for participation:

Alabama has been in all five
Clemson has been in four
Oklahoma three
Ohio State two
And five teams once

And Alabama has been in four of the five championship games, playing Clemson three of those times.

I honestly don't know what "less parity" could possibly look like.

You are absolutely correct for football, and will only get worse.  That’s when you will see even less parity.

Basketball, not the case right now, but will be heading that way.   Optimistic about the comments from many conference commissioners today.  Fight this in the courts.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1140 on: October 07, 2019, 06:05:47 PM »
You are absolutely correct for football, and will only get worse.  That’s when you will see even less parity.

Basketball, not the case right now, but will be heading that way.   Optimistic about the comments from many conference commissioners today.  Fight this in the courts.

If you believe there is parity in college basketball, a national NIL shouldn’t concern you.

Since 2010, Kentucky has had the first or second best recruiting classes in 24/7.  In that span, they’ve made 4 Final Fours and won one national title and haven’t been to the Final 4 since 2015.  Reasonable people would agree they’d be the most aggressive user of a NIL.

Since 2014, Duke has had the first or second best class.  They’ve made one Final Four in that stretch and won a national title. 

Since 2010, Arizona has been in the top 5 for recruiting rankings according to 24/7 5 different times and don’t have a Final 4.  They’ve certainly cheated.

The past 3 national champions are as follows with their 24/7 rankings for the 4 years leading to their titles

2019 Virginia: 65, 95, 7, 62
2018 Villanova: 28,45, 29, 48
2017 UNC: 14, 70, 10, 15

Carolina has one top 5 class this decade

If it’s the 1% of college basketball players that will receive benefits, it shouldn’t change what has happened on the court if you believe the game has parity right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: October 07, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »
If you believe there is parity in college basketball, a national NIL shouldn’t concern you.

Since 2010, Kentucky has had the first or second best recruiting classes in 24/7.  In that span, they’ve made 4 Final Fours and won one national title and haven’t been to the Final 4 since 2015.  Reasonable people would agree they’d be the most aggressive user of a NIL.

Since 2014, Duke has had the first or second best class.  They’ve made one Final Four in that stretch and won a national title. 

Since 2010, Arizona has been in the top 5 for recruiting rankings according to 24/7 5 different times and don’t have a Final 4.  They’ve certainly cheated.

The past 3 national champions are as follows with their 24/7 rankings for the 4 years leading to their titles

2019 Virginia: 65, 95, 7, 62
2018 Villanova: 28,45, 29, 48
2017 UNC: 14, 70, 10, 15

Carolina has one top 5 class this decade

If it’s the 1% of college basketball players that will receive benefits, it shouldn’t change what has happened on the court if you believe the game has parity right now.

In a way, I feel bad for you...you're going to be LIVID if/when the NCAA takes this to court and wins, aren't you?? Will you stop watching college sports if that happens??

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1142 on: October 07, 2019, 06:22:51 PM »
In a way, I feel bad for you...you're going to be LIVID if/when the NCAA takes this to court and wins, aren't you?? Will you stop watching college sports if that happens??

I feel bad for you, for a number of reasons.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: October 07, 2019, 06:28:17 PM »
I feel bad for you, for a number of reasons.

No reason to, I appreciate your concern however. I'm just wondering how you're going to handle it when the NCAA wins in court(because legally they will). Are you going to have a hissy fit because these big bad Presidents etc, make so much more $$ than you do, and you don't like that? IF this were to lead to the demise of MU basketball sometime down the road, will you be happy about that to??

Tell ya what...how about this?? If you get paid for your likeness, then you foot your own bill for your scholarship, etc?? That seems like a fair trade off, doesn't it??

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1144 on: October 07, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »
No reason to, I appreciate your concern however. I'm just wondering how you're going to handle it when the NCAA wins in court(because legally they will). Are you going to have a hissy fit because these big bad Presidents etc, make so much more $$ than you do, and you don't like that? IF this were to lead to the demise of MU basketball sometime down the road, will you be happy about that to??

Tell ya what...how about this?? If you get paid for your likeness, then you foot your own bill for your scholarship, etc?? That seems like a fair trade off, doesn't it??

Well, they can certainly fight every state that passes NIL legislation, 13 states likely to pass similar bills and counting with more certainly to follow with large bipartisan support.  That doesn’t take into consideration a potential federal bill that is being discussed, again with large bipartisan support. 

The NCAA really doesn’t want to take on the federal government in this matter.  Here is the potential bill https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1804/text?r=44&s=1

Good luck with those lawsuits.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: October 07, 2019, 06:41:54 PM »
Well, they can certainly fight every state that passes NIL legislation, 13 states likely to pass similar bills and counting with more certainly to follow with large bipartisan support.  That doesn’t take into consideration a potential federal bill that is being discussed, again with large bipartisan support. 

The NCAA really doesn’t want to take on the federal government in this matter.  Here is the potential bill https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1804/text?r=44&s=1

Good luck with those lawsuits.

In case you forgot, they already won the Ed O' Bannon lawsuit.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1146 on: October 07, 2019, 06:56:10 PM »

Not relevant to state or federal NIL laws.  The NCAA will have to take on individual states and perhaps the federal government.  Also, the courts didn’t rule in complete favor of the NCAA in that case

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: October 07, 2019, 06:58:41 PM »

Kind of. They lost on the restraint of trade fact but won by appealing the original order that provided immediate compensation. The appeals court ruled that a full cost of attendance scholarship is sufficient compensation.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: October 07, 2019, 06:59:42 PM »
Not relevant to state or federal NIL laws.  The NCAA will have to take on individual states and perhaps the federal government.  Also, the courts didn’t rule in complete favor of the NCAA in that case

Yeah that’s a good point. OBannon ruled on likeness licensing collected by the NCAA.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1149 on: October 07, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »
Yeah that’s a good point. OBannon ruled on likeness licensing collected by the NCAA.

The original ruling in the O’Bannon case was nonsensical when the judge ordered schools to put away a certain amount for each athlete.  It was an arbitrary figure.  The antitrust part of it stood and that’s why they won’t fight a federal law that allows for likeness compensation