[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206320 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #500 on: September 25, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
My wife looked up admission requirements for KU this past weekend (we have a HS junior) and it was something like 2.0 gpa and a 21 ACT. That all I have to say.

Minimum requirements and what actually gets you in are different things.
Average GPA for the freshman class is 3.58. Average ACT is 25.7.
This is not significantly different from MU's freshman class profile.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #501 on: September 25, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »
My wife looked up admission requirements for KU this past weekend (we have a HS junior) and it was something like 2.0 gpa and a 21 ACT. That all I have to say.   

Look, it is a public university in Kansas with a requirement to be accessible at the undergraduate level.  However it has strong graduate programs in a number of areas, top 100 schools of law (higher ranked than Marquette) and medicine, and a nearly $2 billion endowment.

I mean, if you think its only claim to fame is basketball, what do you think Marquette's is?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #502 on: September 25, 2019, 11:07:36 AM »

Look, it is a public university in Kansas with a requirement to be accessible at the undergraduate level.  However it has strong graduate programs in a number of areas, top 100 schools of law (higher ranked than Marquette) and medicine, and a nearly $2 billion endowment.

I mean, if you think its only claim to fame is basketball, what do you think Marquette's is?
I did not intended to compare KU to MU here. I believe by reputation and any measurable qualities, MU is a superior undergraduate school. Anecdotally, my good friend and KU alum and booster told me a few years ago he would be disappointed if any of his four kids ended up at KU. He loves KU and puts his money behind KU, but he is not impressed with the undergraduate academics. (His oldest daughter did not apply to KU)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #503 on: September 25, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »

Paging Chicos...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #504 on: September 25, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »

Admission requirements are pretty useless to look up.  Unless your child is a star athlete, he/she undoubtedly needs to be a much better student than a 2.0 GPA with a 21 ACT to get into Kansas.

For example, I coached a kid who went on to play volleyball at Stanford.  He was a straight A public school student who had to get a 27 on his ACT to go to Stanford.  If he hadn't been a volleyball player there is no way in heck he was getting into Stanford with just a 27 on his ACT.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #505 on: September 25, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »

that's just to be considered for admission. Nobody is getting in with those requirements (including athletes as they need a 2.3 to be a qualifier).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #506 on: September 25, 2019, 12:29:00 PM »
that's just to be considered for admission. Nobody is getting in with those requirements (including athletes as they need a 2.3 to be a qualifier).
Approximately 95% of all applicants get in.

For the sake of argument, I'll say KU is an okay university. Satisfied.

What is not up for argument is that KU cheats in recruiting and has a history of cheating. And my original premise was that KU's identity is tied to basketball and they will do anything to protect it including spending massive amounts of university funds to do so. The university's response is completely expected and straight out of the "what you say when the NCAA comes calling" playbook. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #507 on: September 25, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
What is not up for argument is that KU cheats in recruiting and has a history of cheating. And my original premise was that KU's identity is tied to basketball and they will do anything to protect it including spending massive amounts of university funds to do so. The university's response is completely expected and straight out of the "what you say when the NCAA comes calling" playbook. 

I agree with this.  Although I do think they will distance themselves from Self when it is convenient for them to do so.  They aren't at that point yet.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #508 on: September 25, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »
Approximately 95% of all applicants get in.

For the sake of argument, I'll say KU is an okay university. Satisfied.

Yep. There's a reason other coaches have been calling him "Dollar Bill" for years.

95% is Arizona State level.  That's pathetic. US News ranks it 130th.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #509 on: September 25, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »
I agree with this.  Although I do think they will distance themselves from Self when it is convenient for them to do so.  They aren't at that point yet.
Agreed. KU basketball is bigger than Self and KU will be smart to move on. They will attract a great new head coach based upon the money they commit to basketball.

In the meantime, KU has to 100% back Self. Even if they think this will not end well, you have to publicly strongly support the coach or you have to fire him. No middle ground in this.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #510 on: September 25, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »
Wojo to Kansas!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #511 on: September 25, 2019, 02:04:37 PM »
Agreed. KU basketball is bigger than Self and KU will be smart to move on. They will attract a great new head coach based upon the money they commit to basketball.

In the meantime, KU has to 100% back Self. Even if they think this will not end well, you have to publicly strongly support the coach or you have to fire him. No middle ground in this.
Yep, there is no middle ground. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #512 on: September 25, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »

KU is a member of the AAU, only 60 schools in the country can say that....the Ivy League schools, Some UC schools, Stanford, etc. 

As an alum of their graduate school I can tell you it is highly regarded research university as well as medical, law, etc.  However, because it is also the flagship school of the state, it also serves to accommodate many students at the undergraduate level that fit a broad profile range academically. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #513 on: September 25, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »
Wojo to Kansas!
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #514 on: September 25, 2019, 05:47:22 PM »
I agree with this analysis.

Grab that Bone.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #515 on: September 25, 2019, 07:27:23 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #516 on: September 25, 2019, 08:24:05 PM »
Better than starving.

Always stuff on here that makes that highly unlikely.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #517 on: September 26, 2019, 12:18:04 AM »
KU is a member of the AAU, only 60 schools in the country can say that....the Ivy League schools, Some UC schools, Stanford, etc. 

As an alum of their graduate school I can tell you it is highly regarded research university as well as medical, law, etc.  However, because it is also the flagship school of the state, it also serves to accommodate many students at the undergraduate level that fit a broad profile range academically.

6 of the 10 UC schools are AAU members

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #518 on: September 26, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »
Georgia Tech hit with postseason ban (like it matters) for taking Wendell Carter to a strip club.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/two-georgia-tech-men-s-basketball-boosters-provided-impermissible-benefits

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #519 on: September 26, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »
So he got Jarrett Jack to pay for his visit to a strip club AND play for Duke in the end.  A win - win!!!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #520 on: September 26, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
Georgia Tech hit with postseason ban (like it matters) for taking Wendell Carter to a strip club.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/two-georgia-tech-men-s-basketball-boosters-provided-impermissible-benefits

Gary Parrish
@GaryParrishCBS
  10m 

Replying to @GaryParrishCBS

The NCAA giving Georgia Tech a postseason ban strongly suggests Kansas will get at least that -- and probably more -- unless it can successfully argue that T.J. Gassnola was not a KU booster. 
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #521 on: September 26, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
Gary Parrish
@GaryParrishCBS
  10m 

Replying to @GaryParrishCBS

The NCAA giving Georgia Tech a postseason ban strongly suggests Kansas will get at least that -- and probably more -- unless it can successfully argue that T.J. Gassnola was not a KU booster.

While not a Blue Blood GT is a high major, so it's time to put to rest Tark's "Cleveland State" BS quote.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #522 on: September 26, 2019, 01:07:36 PM »

and:
The committee used the Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines to prescribe the following measures:

Four years of probation.
A 2019-20 postseason ban for the men’s basketball team.
A fine of $5,000 plus 2% of the men’s basketball program budget.
A reduction of one men’s basketball scholarship during each year of probation.
Recruiting restrictions for the men’s basketball program that will apply for each year of probation, including:
An eight-week ban on unofficial visits.
A three-visit reduction from the permissible number of official visits.
An eight-week ban on recruiting communications.
A reduction of 19 recruiting-person days from the permissible number.
A three-year show-cause order for the former assistant coach. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply.
A vacation of records in which the men’s basketball student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public decision release.
A prohibition from scheduling official visits in conjunction with home men’s basketball competitions during the first two years of probation.
Disassociations of the following individuals:

A three-year disassociation of the former assistant coach (self-imposed by the university).

A three-year disassociation of the former Georgia Tech men’s basketball student-athlete and booster.

A disassociation of the head coach’s friend and booster (self-imposed by the university). 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #523 on: September 26, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
and:
The committee used the Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines to prescribe the following measures:

Four years of probation.
A 2019-20 postseason ban for the men’s basketball team.
A fine of $5,000 plus 2% of the men’s basketball program budget.
A reduction of one men’s basketball scholarship during each year of probation.
Recruiting restrictions for the men’s basketball program that will apply for each year of probation, including:
An eight-week ban on unofficial visits.
A three-visit reduction from the permissible number of official visits.
An eight-week ban on recruiting communications.
A reduction of 19 recruiting-person days from the permissible number.
A three-year show-cause order for the former assistant coach. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply.
A vacation of records in which the men’s basketball student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 14 days of the public decision release.
A prohibition from scheduling official visits in conjunction with home men’s basketball competitions during the first two years of probation.
Disassociations of the following individuals:

A three-year disassociation of the former assistant coach (self-imposed by the university).

A three-year disassociation of the former Georgia Tech men’s basketball student-athlete and booster.

A disassociation of the head coach’s friend and booster (self-imposed by the university).

That’ll show the kids currently on the roster
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #524 on: September 26, 2019, 02:25:07 PM »

That’ll show the kids currently on the roster

Honestly, I hate this argument...and lots of people say this. Well, you know what?? If coaches didn't want kids possibly affected, it's pretty simple..don't cheat, then it won't have ramifications. Whether that coach is still there or not..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback