[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206363 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #475 on: September 23, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »
Whatever penalty gets, Self will be gone.  He’ll either be in the NBA or announcing games.

Kansas will lose scholarships, have some banners stripped and miss a tournament, maybe two.

They’ll be Final 4 contenders as fast as Louisville has become after “crippling sanctions and crimes”.

See: 1988
It will be interesting to see what happens to Louisville this time around. They could/should be looking a 2-3 year post season ban.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #476 on: September 23, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens to Louisville this time around. They could/should be looking a 2-3 year post season ban.

All the coaches involved were fired and it hasn’t hurt them in recruiting or on the court.  They got a great coach in Chris Mack to replace Pitino. 

If the NCAA and its members want to clean up the sport, Louisville should get the death penalty.  Multiple violations and more violations on top of the sex scandal. 

They’ll get penalties but I’ll be shocked if it’s anything that cause long term problems for the school.  Basketball is too big at Louisville.  By hook and probably by crook, they’d be back faster than anyone thinks
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #477 on: September 23, 2019, 06:18:13 PM »
Maybee wheel have a bedder shot at Grimes now, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muguru

• All American
« Reply #478 on: September 23, 2019, 07:28:21 PM »
Here is the notice of Allegations if anyone cares...

https://publicaffairs.ku.edu/sites/p...%20to%20KU.pdf
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #479 on: September 23, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »
Whatever penalty gets, Self will be gone.  He’ll either be in the NBA or announcing games.

Maybe he'll be spanked by some priests.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #480 on: September 24, 2019, 09:12:39 AM »
Maybee wheel have a bedder shot at Grimes now, hey?
The KU charges relate to the recruitment of Billy Preston...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubIt94oLaBI
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #481 on: September 24, 2019, 09:30:55 AM »

Judging by KU's full-throated defense of Self in its initial response, I wouldn't be so sure.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #482 on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:06 AM »
To be honest, I think they are defending Self because they can shift the blame to the NCAA instead of the bad actors in place.  Many schools do this.  Penn State supporters blame the NCAA...USC...Louisville, etc.  It's a page out of that playbook.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #483 on: September 24, 2019, 09:37:07 AM »
To be honest, I think they are defending Self because they can shift the blame to the NCAA instead of the bad actors in place.  Many schools do this.  Penn State supporters blame the NCAA...USC...Louisville, etc.  It's a page out of that playbook.

Self is spinning so hard his toupee has become displaced.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #484 on: September 24, 2019, 09:52:58 AM »
Judging by KU's full-throated defense of Self in its initial response, I wouldn't be so sure.

I think that’s the natural first response.  Maybe they go to the mat and fight to the bitter end. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #485 on: September 24, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »
I think that’s the natural first response.  Maybe they go to the mat and fight to the bitter end.

I think they will be watching Oklahoma City very close. If the Thunder miss the playoffs, I could see them back-channeling with Donovan in hopes of getting him to replace Self. They might fight right up until they know they have a star ready to replace their Hall of Famer.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #486 on: September 24, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
I think they will be watching Oklahoma City very close. If the Thunder miss the playoffs, I could see them back-channeling with Donovan in hopes of getting him to replace Self. They might fight right up until they know they have a star ready to replace their Hall of Famer.

I said in a locked thread I thought that was a great place for Donovan.  Great job, expectations tempered during any NCAA investigation/penalty phase. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #487 on: September 24, 2019, 11:04:04 AM »

If the Thunder miss the playoffs?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #488 on: September 24, 2019, 11:04:55 AM »
If the Thunder miss the playoffs?

I expect they will, but if Donovan can pull off some magic, he could secure a longer NBA future.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #489 on: September 24, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
I expect they will, but if Donovan can pull off some magic, he could secure a longer NBA future.

I would consider it magic if Donovan has that team outside the bottom 3 at the end of the season. That roster is gross.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #490 on: September 24, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
The KU charges relate to the recruitment of Billy Preston...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubIt94oLaBI

And Silvio DeSouza
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #491 on: September 24, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »
In my opinion, I thought KU and Self's response was tame and generic. It seemed like I could have been reading Pitono and UofL's releases or maybe USC and Pete Carroll's.

Anyways, what would anyone expect? "Opps! you got us". Everyone is (claims to be) innocent at the beginning. Even Michigan State did. KU's and Self's words right now  carry as much weight as feather.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »
In my opinion, I thought KU and Self's response was tame and generic. It seemed like I could have been reading Pitono and UofL's releases or maybe USC and Pete Carroll's.

It's nothing like Louisville's response.
Here's the first and last sentence of UL's response:
"As parents and university leaders who care about every student who comes to the University of Louisville, we are heartbroken that inappropriate behavior took place here."
"The entire episode is a deep disappointment to all of us who love this university.  We appreciate the NCAA's efforts and we regret tremendously that this took place.  Everyone who works here knows it can never happen again.  We will continue to work cooperatively with the NCAA for the final resolution of this matter.""

Here's some of what Kansas had to say in its response after some general comments about the process::
"In the meantime, though, it is already clear from an initial review that the University will fiercely dispute in detail much of what has been presented."
"As for the allegations regarding Head Men’s Basketball Coach Bill Self, voluminous evidence demonstrates uncontestably that he did, in fact, promote an atmosphere of compliance and fully monitor his staff. The University firmly and fully supports Coach Self and his staff."

Here's a link to both so you can read the full statements. Not similar.
https://gocards.com/news/2016/10/20/general-ncaa-notice-of-allegations-released.aspx
https://fox4kc.com/2019/09/23/kansas-responds-to-notice-of-allegations-from-ncaa/

I can't find USC's response at the moment, but given that Pete Caroll was coaching the Seahawks when they got the NCAA notice, I doubt the school gave him its unqualified support.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #493 on: September 25, 2019, 07:52:26 AM »
It's nothing like Louisville's response.
From 2015 when the process started that stripped Louisville of a National Championship:
"Pitino said on October 2 that when the story broke, he "questioned everybody, if anybody even has a little knowledge or hearsay or seen anybody. And everybody to the person, 15 people, said they had no knowledge of anything, never seen anything."
Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich backs his coach.
"He has a long-term contract," Jurich said Tuesday through Louisville spokesman Kenny Klein. "He absolutely did not know anything about these allegations."

Seems to my that Self's main defense is lack of knowledge. I'm seeing some similarities.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #494 on: September 25, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »
From 2015 when the process started that stripped Louisville of a National Championship:
"Pitino said on October 2 that when the story broke, he "questioned everybody, if anybody even has a little knowledge or hearsay or seen anybody. And everybody to the person, 15 people, said they had no knowledge of anything, never seen anything."
Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich backs his coach.
"He has a long-term contract," Jurich said Tuesday through Louisville spokesman Kenny Klein. "He absolutely did not know anything about these allegations."

Seems to my that Self's main defense is lack of knowledge. I'm seeing some similarities.

Apples to oranges. You're comparing what Louisville said a year or more before the notice of allegations to what Kansas said after the notice of allegations.
Which is silly, because we know what Louisville said after the notice of allegations and it's not at all similar to how Kansas responded.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »
I always love the ignorance defense.

Coach goes to a recruit's home and tells the parents that he knows absolutely everything that goes on in his program and that he will personally take care of their precious baby.

But then, when crud happens, he's Sgt. Schultz.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #496 on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
I'll admit I haven't followed this thread.  I just came to say that if Marquette isn't able to make the Final Four this year I'm really hoping Kansas wins the National Title as they're going through the process of appealing level 1 NCAA violations, Silvio De Sousa wins MOP, and the other 3 Final Four teams are Auburn, LSU, and Arizona.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #497 on: September 25, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
Apples to oranges. You're comparing what Louisville said a year or more before the notice of allegations to what Kansas said after the notice of allegations.
Which is silly, because we know what Louisville said after the notice of allegations and it's not at all similar to how Kansas responded.
I stand corrected. My original position was based upon the passionate claims of innocence all schools and coaches make when allegations arise. In this case you are correct.

Still, would you not agree that it makes sense that KU and Self are going to fight this like hell. I think Self likes to think of himself as one of the greats of college coaching and this is a huge blow to his reputation. Likewise, KU's only claim to fame as an institute of higher learning is the men's basketball team. KU is nothing without basketball. They will spend every last dollar to fight this.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #498 on: September 25, 2019, 09:53:26 AM »
Kansas has a very good reputation as a national public university.  It's more than just a basketball program, but basketball is its best marketing tool.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #499 on: September 25, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »
Kansas has a very good reputation as a national public university.  It's more than just a basketball program, but basketball is its best marketing tool.
My wife looked up admission requirements for KU this past weekend (we have a HS junior) and it was something like 2.0 gpa and a 21 ACT. That all I have to say.   

feedback