collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU by the numbers  (Read 21528 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: MU by the numbers
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »
AKC or 31 Flavors?

It was the name we chose for AKC registration.  I honestly don't recall if we ever went through with it.  It was many years ago.  I have a vague recollection that someone told us it wasn't really worth the trouble - particularly since we planned to have her spayed.

Not sure what "31 Flavors" means in this context.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

checkmarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 01:51:35 PM »
31 Flavors = mix/ mutt

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
I remember Midnight Run when we would head out at lunch time with 10 sandwiches in the van, and return 90 minutes later with six.  That didn't last long.  At all.

I met my wife working on Midnight Run.  Our first dog's "official" name was "Murphy's Midnight Run."

Well, Inferiority Complex would say that you obviously only did Midnight Run to pick up chicks, so that doesn't count as real community service.
Have some patience, FFS.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 03:22:56 PM »
I remember Midnight Run when we would head out at lunch time with 10 sandwiches in the van, and return 90 minutes later with six.  That didn't last long.  At all.

I met my wife working on Midnight Run.  Our first dog's "official" name was "Murphy's Midnight Run."

Things had changed up quite a bit by the time I got there. One set meal site but partnerships with maybe a dozen orgs that you otherwise went to to volunteer.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »
Things had changed up quite a bit by the time I got there. One set meal site but partnerships with maybe a dozen orgs that you otherwise went to to volunteer.

Things changed quite a bit within a matter of weeks, actually.  We figured things out, and the people we were serving figured things out.  Within a few weeks we had a pretty set location -- on 9th Street next to the library -- and we would run out of food pretty quickly.  It wasn't long before we started taking a lot more food.  It was really great being involved at the very beginning of Midnight run -- to see something like that get up and running.  And it makes me very happy to read about what it's become.  I'm thankful a friend invited me to be involved.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 05:03:25 PM »
Well, Inferiority Complex would say that you obviously only did Midnight Run to pick up chicks, so that doesn't count as real community service.

Apparently, there are 9,284 students just like you guys now.  No wonder students can't make it to games.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »
So not to get into the 'back and forth' as I've been out of this thread but I will tell you that 'service' is a completely different animal at Marquette now compared to when I was on campus 40 years ago.  It's absolutely part of the core culture now, expected of every student at some level.  Some dabble via a single required core course (eg., my kids read to underprivileged grade schoolers and did 'nature appreciation' work with inner city youth, respectively.)  A subset (mine included) then invest themselves more fully through a variety of service organizations, some of which have been mentioned.  For one of my kids, that experience led directly to his career.

So yeah, it's a big deal these days on campus.     
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:46:38 PM by jsglow »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
Too lazy to find the old thread where some of y'all were asking about some of these stats:

https://give.marquette.edu/presidents-society-impact?erid=55ba2287-cec3-49d3-ab67-98d7af4f1424&trid=55ba2287-cec3-49d3-ab67-98d7af4f1424

It a single thing about academic quality of the incoming students.  Kids ranked in their class, valedictorians, avg test scores, etc. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »
It a single thing about academic quality of the incoming students.  Kids ranked in their class, valedictorians, avg test scores, etc.

?????
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »
?????

Gotta think about the NE snobs and the acceptance rate, aina.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2019, 05:22:05 PM »

Did you have a stroke while writing this

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »
?????

I hate my phone.  Lol. 

There isn’t a single thing on there about academic gravitas of the incoming students. Test scores, class rankings, etc.  What is the quality of the students?  I get the check boxes everyone is trying to check, but outside of that how do the kids rate academically?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2019, 09:17:19 PM »
I hate my phone.  Lol. 

There isn’t a single thing on there about academic gravitas of the incoming students. Test scores, class rankings, etc.  What is the quality of the students?  I get the check boxes everyone is trying to check, but outside of that how do the kids rate academically?

Here you go.

https://www.marquette.edu/oira/index.shtml

Geek out to your heart's content.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »
Here you go.

https://www.marquette.edu/oira/index.shtml

Geek out to your heart's content.

Thank you MU Chick. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
Do you or anyone have stats that break this down more?

Geography? Specifically, states, countries etc...Race? Black% Hispanic% etc...

I’d be interested in more of a specific breakdown.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2019, 09:19:21 AM »
Do you or anyone have stats that break this down more?

Geography? Specifically, states, countries etc...Race? Black% Hispanic% etc...

I’d be interested in more of a specific breakdown.

The web page I linked lets you drill down drill down in all sorts of ways.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2019, 02:10:36 PM »
The web page I linked lets you drill down drill down in all sorts of ways.

While it’s good to see high enrollment numbers I wonder if we’re sacrificing quality for quantity. Average SAT score is down from 2014. I don’t put too much weight in class rank and GPA due to the inequality in schools. Standardized tests are the great equalizer.

Post Final Four we capped undergrad enrollment. That seems to have gone away.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
While it’s good to see high enrollment numbers I wonder if we’re sacrificing quality for quantity. Average SAT score is down from 2014. I don’t put too much weight in class rank and GPA due to the inequality in schools. Standardized tests are the great equalizer.

Post Final Four we capped undergrad enrollment. That seems to have gone away.

My worry as well.  Maybe we should get rid of SAT scores to hide the drop......

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2019, 07:30:31 PM »
My worry as well.  Maybe we should get rid of SAT scores to hide the drop......

My kids, who graduated in '14 and '16, didn't take the SAT.  Their ACT scores were both above 30.  In the midwest, ACT is king, so I would think the SAT scores are artificially low for students who aren't planning to go East or West.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
My kids, who graduated in '14 and '16, didn't take the SAT.  Their ACT scores were both above 30.  In the midwest, ACT is king, so I would think the SAT scores are artificially low for students who aren't planning to go East or West.

Understood.  My kids took both, if I understand correctly MU not requiring either if a student opts not to submit.  Which means only students with good scores will bother to submit in the future.

I was glad to see MU using tableau.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
ACT scores are about level.  Things are fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »
What is St. Norbert’s doing?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
ACT scores are about level.  Things are fine.

I would point out they are level while increasing the percentage of students of color and first-gen students.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2019, 09:24:08 AM »
.. In the midwest, ACT is king, so I would think the SAT scores are artificially low for students who aren't planning to go East or West.

Minnesotan here .. very few people took the ACT in the mid-80s.   Of my class, it was like 160 took the SAT, and 10 took the ACT. 

I was always curious why certain schools are/were like that .. then people at WI high schools were all about the ACT.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »
Minnesotan here .. very few people took the ACT in the mid-80s.   Of my class, it was like 160 took the SAT, and 10 took the ACT. 

I was always curious why certain schools are/were like that .. then people at WI high schools were all about the ACT.

In Illinois, high school students are required to take the ACT even if they aren't planning to go to college. A lot of kids don't bother to take the SAT if none of the schools they are applying to require it.
Have some patience, FFS.