collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Womens Soccer Championship.  (Read 64624 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Womens Soccer Championship.
« Reply #475 on: July 22, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »
I did when he was THE reason to watch a Lion's game.
Watching Barry run the ball was all you needed to see.  He may have been the only reason to watch the Lions, but he would have been the BEST reason to watch a game regardless of the team he was on.  Any post run celebration would not have done anything to enhance his brilliance and would have been a waste of his energy.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #476 on: July 22, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »
I have no complaint about them scoring goals when ahead 10-0 and I said that earlier.  Just the celebration.  (10-0 is not insurmountable in baseball by the way.  I've seen my Red Sox blow a 10-0 6th inning lead.  A 10-0 lead in soccer is akin to maybe 30-0 in baseball.  Would you think it was OK if someone hit a 7th inning home run to put their team up 30-0 and jumped around and showed off for the crowd like that?  People went ballistic about the bat flip by Bautista to break a tie late in a do-or-die game and it wasn't 1/10th what the US did in a preliminary game to go up 9-0).  As I said, I never watched the tournament.  Saw the celebration to put them up 9-0 on the news and was very turned off by it, as was whatever local newscaster that was showing it.  I understand others feel differently, but for the life of me I can't understand why someone would behave that way.

Fair enough, CT.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #477 on: July 22, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »
I have no complaint about them scoring goals when ahead 10-0 and I said that earlier.  Just the celebration.  (10-0 is not insurmountable in baseball by the way.  I've seen my Red Sox blow a 10-0 6th inning lead.  A 10-0 lead in soccer is akin to maybe 30-0 in baseball.  Would you think it was OK if someone hit a 7th inning home run to put their team up 30-0 and jumped around and showed off for the crowd like that?  People went ballistic about the bat flip by Bautista to break a tie late in a do-or-die game and it wasn't 1/10th what the US did in a preliminary game to go up 9-0).  As I said, I never watched the tournament.  Saw the celebration to put them up 9-0 on the news and was very turned off by it, as was whatever local newscaster that was showing it.  I understand others feel differently, but for the life of me I can't understand why someone would behave that way.

So the goals after 10-0 were...

• 11: Mallory Pugh scores her first ever World Cup goal in her first ever appearance.
  • 12: Alex Morgan scores her record-tying fifth goal of the match, matching Michelle Akers' 28-year-old record.
  • 13: Carli Lloyd scores in her sixth straight Women's World Cup, breaking her own record.
So the three goals after 10 were someone's first ever WWC goal and two goals that tied or broke records. But hey, when something happens that has either never happened or only happened once before nearly 3 decades prior, you should just go sit in the corner quietly.

If someone was up 30-0 in baseball and hit their first home run, or hit their fifth home run of the game, or 74th home run of the season, I would certainly expect them to celebrate like crazy, and it would be completely warranted. That's what you're criticizing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #478 on: July 22, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
So the goals after 10-0 were...

• 11: Mallory Pugh scores her first ever World Cup goal in her first ever appearance.
  • 12: Alex Morgan scores her record-tying fifth goal of the match, matching Michelle Akers' 28-year-old record.
  • 13: Carli Lloyd scores in her sixth straight Women's World Cup, breaking her own record.
So the three goals after 10 were someone's first ever WWC goal and two goals that tied or broke records. But hey, when something happens that has either never happened or only happened once before nearly 3 decades prior, you should just go sit in the corner quietly.

If someone was up 30-0 in baseball and hit their first home run, or hit their fifth home run of the game, or 74th home run of the season, I would certainly expect them to celebrate like crazy, and it would be completely warranted. That's what you're criticizing.

This is exactly how I feel. It wasn’t a culture of excessive, in your face, disrespectful celebrating. It was some pretty personally important goals that I find it hard to believe any of us would have just turned around and run back to our half of the pitch for the restart.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #479 on: July 22, 2019, 09:43:40 PM »
This is exactly how I feel. It wasn’t a culture of excessive, in your face, disrespectful celebrating. It was some pretty personally important goals that I find it hard to believe any of us would have just turned around and run back to our half of the pitch for the restart.

I remember the Cowboys up 18-6 on the Packers during the Barry Switzer era and they brought in Chris Boinol in at the end of the game for a “personal” goal to kick 7 field goals in one game.  It set a NFL record.  He nailed it and the outcry of them being classless, running up the score, etc, etc was deafening in Wisconsin.  This was before social media, back in ‘96 if I recall.  Absolutely deafening.

Several players got kicked out at the end of the game, all kinds of charges made.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:27:50 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
I am long past whining about celebrations. I loved watching Sanders and thought he was a classy guy; but I also got a kick out of T.O.'s shenanigans.

You don't want somebody to celebrate? Don't let them score a TD, hit a HR, make a basket, etc.

Now ... on the flip side ... if you do in-your-face celebrations all the time, you are not allowed to get p-o'd when opponents mock you if you suck in a game, or if the media rips you for celebrating when you could have recovered a fumble, or if fans take extra delight in you getting hurt.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #481 on: July 23, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
I remember the Cowboys up 18-6 on the Packers during the Barry Switzer era and they brought in Chris Bonilla in at the end of the game for a “personal” goal to kick 7 field goals in one game.  It set a NFL record.  He nailed it and the outcry of them being classless, running up the score, etc, etc was deafening in Wisconsin.  This was before social media, back in ‘96 if I recall.  Absolutely deafening.

Several players got kicked out at the end of the game, all kinds of charges made.

Reinventing history are we now.

1. There was not a deafening outcry in Wisconsin.
2. Packers said after the game, they didn't realize he was going for a record, and wouldn't have reacted the same way had they known that.
3. Packer players went up to him after the game and congratulated him, once they knew he was going for a record.

So if anything, your story supports the assertion that you are arguing against.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #482 on: July 23, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »
I am long past whining about celebrations. I loved watching Sanders and thought he was a classy guy; but I also got a kick out of T.O.'s shenanigans.

You don't want somebody to celebrate? Don't let them score a TD, hit a HR, make a basket, etc.

It’s ludicrous to expect guys or gals not to try to score as much as possible. Contracts are based on production. It is the offenses job to score. As you say, it is the other team’s job to stop them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #483 on: July 23, 2019, 11:29:32 AM »
Reinventing history are we now.

1. There was not a deafening outcry in Wisconsin.
2. Packers said after the game, they didn't realize he was going for a record, and wouldn't have reacted the same way had they known that.
3. Packer players went up to him after the game and congratulated him, once they knew he was going for a record.

So if anything, your story supports the assertion that you are arguing against.

Bullcrap

There was a massive outcry, especially in Wisconsin.  As a Cowboys fan I lived in Wisconsin at the time, the Cowboys has beaten the Pack 7 straight so there was extra sting.  To suggest there wasn’t massive bitching about it in the radio and media that week is laughable.

You are also not connecting dots properly.  The outcry was mostly by the fans, though some players also were not cool about it (some were).  Just as most of the outrage on the women’s team was on social media by fans....so I don’t know why you aren’t comparing apples to apples here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:31:11 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #484 on: July 23, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »
It’s ludicrous to expect guys or gals not to try to score as much as possible. Contracts are based on production. It is the offenses job to score. As you say, it is the other team’s job to stop them.

Why, this happens all the time in blowout games where teams take their foot off the gas.  Football teams stop throwing, teams out in scrubs (hard to do in soccer due to limitations), but to suggest t is ludicrous isn’t supported by reality.  Teams pull back all the time in sports not to run it up.  Nothing at all ludicrous about it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #485 on: July 23, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »
Bringing up a football game from 23 years ago.  Goalpost shifting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #486 on: July 23, 2019, 11:47:48 AM »

Pretty amazing he was able to kick 7 field goals with that happening.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #487 on: July 23, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »

Lol.

I’m really not even sure what the point is. Standards can most certainly change in two decades.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #488 on: July 23, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »
I placed it on a tee.   Glad somebody finished.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #489 on: July 23, 2019, 01:26:12 PM »

Now ... on the flip side ... if you do in-your-face celebrations all the time, you are not allowed to get p-o'd when opponents mock you if you suck in a game, or if the media rips you for celebrating when you could have recovered a fumble, or if fans take extra delight in you getting hurt.

I'm with you. I love that the NFL allows the choreographed celebrations now. Some are absolutely hilarious and add to the entertainment value of the game.  I'm also sure many here enjoyed David Cubillian's shoulder shake after threes, the "three goggles" and other celebrations by MU players over the years.  Everyone in America seemed to love the Monmouth "Bench Mob" a few years ago. Hell, in 1991 everyone loved the run Jimmy Connors was on in the US Open thanks to the raw emotion he showed (the Krickstein and Haarhuis matches were epic and Connors' celebrations after individual points were beloved). Meanwhile, go back 30+ years and the US media and fans always mocked the athletes from the USSR and East Germany (and today, China) as being "emotionless robots."

There's a difference between celebration and taunting.  None of the celebrations by USWNT players were designed nor intended to mock the other team.  Even Rapinoe's in the Thailand match, which many point to as "inappropritate" was done for her brother (if you haven't seen the ESPN story about that, look it up). 

I say have play hard, have fun and celebrate.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:29:14 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #490 on: July 23, 2019, 01:29:42 PM »

How?  If you mean it showed the same human behavior....you are right.  If exposes some hypocrisy, you are also right.

No goalpost shifting at all.  Running up score, near end of game, to get personal records, team bashed for it....only difference is the ladies apparently get a bit more of a free pass for some reason.  Not sure why.

Happy to bring up more current examples, I just happened to live that one and it touched a nerve...it was either a MNF or SNF game and the howling was ridiculous.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #491 on: July 23, 2019, 01:30:18 PM »

Well played....you win Scoop for today.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #492 on: July 23, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
It depends on whether the goalpost shifter was trying to help or hurt the kicker.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #493 on: July 23, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
How?  If you mean it showed the same human behavior....you are right.  If exposes some hypocrisy, you are also right.

No goalpost shifting at all.  Running up score, near end of game, to get personal records, team bashed for it....only difference is the ladies apparently get a bit more of a free pass for some reason.  Not sure why.

Happy to bring up more current examples, I just happened to live that one and it touched a nerve...it was either a MNF or SNF game and the howling was ridiculous.

Humor.   Kicking field goals.    Shifting goalposts.    Sigh.   

• All American
« Reply #494 on: July 23, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »

It was a Monday Night Game.  And the issue the Packers had with it wasn't that he kicked a FG.  It was that the Cowboys called a TO with under a minute left to give him the opportunity.

But the Cowboys haven't gotten to a Super Bowl since, so all is good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #495 on: July 23, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »
Humor.   Kicking field goals.    Shifting goalposts.    Sigh.

Definitely missed it.....intentional on your part or because Deane found it?  If intentional you also win for the day.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #496 on: July 23, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

It was a Monday Night Game.  And the issue the Packers had with it wasn't that he kicked a FG.  It was that the Cowboys called a TO with under a minute left to give him the opportunity.

But the Cowboys haven't gotten to a Super Bowl since, so all is good.

Why would calling the timeout matter?  It’s still an opportunity?

What makes me laugh is I expected the SJWs of today not to care back then, they did....and now in present day where trophies for all we have folks just fine with running up the score....as long as you play for USWMNT....now if you were Alabama and Nick Saban, well that’s a different story.

• All American
« Reply #497 on: July 23, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »
Why would calling the timeout matter?  It’s still an opportunity?

What makes me laugh is I expected the SJWs of today not to care back then, they did....and now in present day where trophies for all we have folks just fine with running up the score....as long as you play for USWMNT....now if you were Alabama and Nick Saban, well that’s a different story.

How does not having a problem with the USWNT scoring and celebrating make me a SJW?  Very strange.

As for the Cowboys in 1996, I honestly had no recollection of the game. I was also 30 years old at the time and undoubtedly held different views on a number of things than I do now. Just like most people.

I can pretty much guaranty that if the Cowboys did the same exact thing to the Packers this year that I wouldn’t have much problem with it. So really your point is very weak.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #498 on: July 24, 2019, 01:16:53 AM »
Why, this happens all the time in blowout games where teams take their foot off the gas.  Football teams stop throwing, teams out in scrubs (hard to do in soccer due to limitations), but to suggest t is ludicrous isn’t supported by reality.  Teams pull back all the time in sports not to run it up.  Nothing at all ludicrous about it.

There is a difference between taking the foot off the gas and just stopping playing.

I coach basketball. When we have a big lead against an obviously inferior opponent, we don't press, we don't run-and-gun, we clear the bench, I never question even an egregiously bad officiating call (unless injury is involved or possible), etc. But I don't just tell my players to stop trying to score, to stop playing solid D, to stop trying to get every rebound, to stop hustling. I want my kids to "play right" all the time, and I don't want to encourage bad habits.

Are my kids supposed to not dive to the floor for a loose basketball or to not try to block a shot just because we are up 35?

Same with football. Sure, take the air out of it; but does the team that's way ahead not try to advance the football on the ground? Do they just take a knee every play? Do they stop trying to play defense?

Sometimes -- actually, quite often -- you can do everything in your power to try to not run it up but the blowout worsens anyway.

Heck, I even had one game where we got up by 15 fairly early and I called off our press, and the opposing coach called time-out and calmly asked me to please put the press back on because he wanted his kids to learn how to beat the press. He knew they would lose, but he wanted them to get better for later in the season -- and indeed they did, handled our press much better the second time we faced them. How about that?

I can't remember which manager said it, but there was something along the lines of: "I'll stop trying to steal a base when we're up 8 if you promise to stop trying to hit a home run when you're down 8."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #499 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:03 AM »
There is a difference between taking the foot off the gas and just stopping playing....Same with football. Sure, take the air out of it; but does the team that's way ahead not try to advance the football on the ground? Do they just take a knee every play? Do they stop trying to play defense?

Case in point.  I remember this game vividly.  ND took a lot of heat at the time for essentially stopping playing, culminating when Sezter ignored a clear path to the end zone and ran out of bounds.  It can be a fine line between taking the foot off the gas and stopping.  ND clearly stepped over it.  From what I've read (I didn't see the game), the talent disparity with the USWNT and Thailand was so huge that there honestly wasn't much they could do without crossing that line.

And yes, I'm well aware of the, "it wasn't the goals, it was the celebration" angle.  I'm just responding to MU82's comment.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback