[Today at 12:54:00 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Womens Soccer Championship.  (Read 64489 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Womens Soccer Championship.
« Reply #425 on: July 16, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »
yeah, dropping our flag on the ground without any cognizance that is totally disrespectful...yeah great great representatives for who's country?  that was brutally bad, but i guess in your world, no biggie...figures.  let's start with teaching some of your "soccer heroes" how to respect this country.  if that is controlling, oy vey

I saw this as well.  Three players had the flag and then started to celebrate and it dropped.  They were not paying attentions to what happened - paying more attention to the fans in front of them and maybe the camera recording them.  Not malice but not paying attention.

Their teammates behind them though saw it and darn near immediately swooped in and picked the flag up. 

Maybe if you are offended by the three you should celebrate the one that corrected the situation.  Is it ok to call her a "soccer hero"? 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2019, 08:07:02 AM »
This topic is great.

So the women, who were criticized by everyone for scoring too much and celebrating too hard, roasted by their former, bitter goaltender on European television, and tweeted at by the President for being...too gay???...are now being criticized again.  This time for drinking and swearing (something pretty much every male team does when they win anything) and accidentally dropping the flag. (Because the flag code was apparently written by God on Mount Sinai.)

It just goes to show you how much many Americans are still uncomfortable with strong, successful women.  Because even when they win, they have to stay in their lane and win the "right" way.  Well good for them for making people uncomfortable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
Don't forget 'pushing for equality'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »

How dare they ask to be treated as white, male humans.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #429 on: July 16, 2019, 09:44:12 AM »
This topic is great.

So the women, who were criticized by everyone for scoring too much and celebrating too hard, roasted by their former, bitter goaltender on European television, and tweeted at by the President for being...too gay???...are now being criticized again.  This time for drinking and swearing (something pretty much every male team does when they win anything) and accidentally dropping the flag. (Because the flag code was apparently written by God on Mount Sinai.)

It just goes to show you how much many Americans are still uncomfortable with strong, successful women.  Because even when they win, they have to stay in their lane and win the "right" way.  Well good for them for making people uncomfortable.

Bravo for this post!!

But can you imagine the cries if one of the women who dropped the flag had brown skin? Send her back to the corrupt sh*thole country she came from! Oops that is where she went back to :-\
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:47:13 AM by Jockey »

• All American
« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2019, 09:51:05 AM »

Right.  Good point.  They have to deal with people bending truths, building strawmen and shifting goalposts in any effort to make sure they are paid less than their less successful male counterparts.

But one of them said "f*ck" so they've lost my support on that issue.  ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #431 on: July 16, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
The next outrage will be over a female 007 of color.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #432 on: July 16, 2019, 12:32:12 PM »

I'm not outraged by any means, but I also don't think it makes any sense. If it's a female lead as James Bond 007 that makes no sense because James Bond is a very particular character with a very particular characterization (specifically chauvinistic, masculine, etc). If it's a female character that takes on the 007 moniker but isn't "James Bond" I'd be curious to see what the storyline is and would be totally fine with it if it makes sense. There have been other double Os in the Bond movies, not sure they have to go the 007 route.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #433 on: July 16, 2019, 12:39:30 PM »
If it's a female character that takes on the 007 moniker but isn't "James Bond"...

Apparently that's the case.  I read that Craig will actually play Bond in the movie, but that Lynch will be 007.   I haven't seen a Bond movie for many years.  I've meant to watch some of the Craig movies because I've heard that they're good, but I've not gotten around to it.  This might actually get me out to see the next one because I'm curious how they're going to handle it.  I'm not familiar with Lynch, but I'd like to see how she handles the role.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #434 on: July 16, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
I'm not outraged by any means, but I also don't think it makes any sense. If it's a female lead as James Bond 007 that makes no sense because James Bond is a very particular character with a very particular characterization (specifically chauvinistic, masculine, etc). If it's a female character that takes on the 007 moniker but isn't "James Bond" I'd be curious to see what the storyline is and would be totally fine with it if it makes sense. There have been other double Os in the Bond movies, not sure they have to go the 007 route.

I just wonder if the female James Bond will continue to chase after hot, young women.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #435 on: July 16, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »
I just wonder if the female James Bond will continue to chase after hot, young women.

I'd watch

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #436 on: July 16, 2019, 02:46:28 PM »

Thats sort of the issue I had with it as well.  They broke from the traditional canon of Bond being dark haired with longish hair when they moved to Daniel Craig, and that was met with some resistance at the time.  But relying on 007 being merely a title was how it was justified, as he fulfilled the other "criteria" for what the character embodied.  I just find it odd how there was griping and pushback when someone like Idris Elba (who would be an absolutely fantastic Bond) was suggested, and after bandying about some lesser known actors, they chose to make this leap.  It seems like overkill to placate.  But thats just my opinion.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #437 on: July 16, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »
Thats sort of the issue I had with it as well.  They broke from the traditional canon of Bond being dark haired with longish hair when they moved to Daniel Craig, and that was met with some resistance at the time.  But relying on 007 being merely a title was how it was justified, as he fulfilled the other "criteria" for what the character embodied.  I just find it odd how there was griping and pushback when someone like Idris Elba (who would be an absolutely fantastic Bond) was suggested, and after bandying about some lesser known actors, they chose to make this leap.  It seems like overkill to placate.  But thats just my opinion.

Would love Idris Elba as Bond (could not be more excited for him as a bad guy in Hobbes and Shaw).

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #438 on: July 16, 2019, 03:57:59 PM »

I think this outrage would be appropriate because Idris Elba as Bond would fookin kick ass, so anything other than that is unacceptable.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #439 on: July 16, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
I saw this as well.  Three players had the flag and then started to celebrate and it dropped.  They were not paying attentions to what happened - paying more attention to the fans in front of them and maybe the camera recording them.  Not malice but not paying attention.

Their teammates behind them though saw it and darn near immediately swooped in and picked the flag up. 

Maybe if you are offended by the three you should celebrate the one that corrected the situation.  Is it ok to call her a "soccer hero"?

yes, absolutely!  thank you for pointing that out, my mistake for not pointing it out.  that was a great great heads up move and she set a great great example

btw, i did not say i was offended.  i was merely pointing out the weakness in calling the soccer team for being great great whatevers.  it's just sad, that's all.  it takes a lot to OFFEND me.  i know where i stand...
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #440 on: July 16, 2019, 07:27:18 PM »
Bravo for this post!!

But can you imagine the cries if one of the women who dropped the flag had brown skin? Send her back to the corrupt sh*thole country she came from! Oops that is where she went back to :-\

ho boy!  nuff said

• All American
« Reply #441 on: July 16, 2019, 08:09:18 PM »
yes, absolutely!  thank you for pointing that out, my mistake for not pointing it out.  that was a great great heads up move and she set a great great example

btw, i did not say i was offended.  i was merely pointing out the weakness in calling the soccer team for being great great whatevers.  it's just sad, that's all.  it takes a lot to OFFEND me.  i know where i stand...

It’s not sad at all. It was a mistake. And they are most definitely great, and wonderful representatives of our country. It’s a shame you can’t see that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #442 on: July 16, 2019, 08:31:36 PM »

It’s not sad at all. It was a mistake. And they are most definitely great, and wonderful representatives of our country. It’s a shame you can’t see that.

i missed their apology.  they won the world cup!  4th out of the last 8 i believe.  great achievement!  don't shame me for not seeing what you do.  great accomplishment!

you guys as humid up there around the bay as it is down here?

• All American
« Reply #443 on: July 16, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »
i missed their apology.  they won the world cup!  4th out of the last 8 i believe.  great achievement!  don't shame me for not seeing what you do.  great accomplishment!

you guys as humid up there around the bay as it is down here?

???

What do they need to apologize for?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #444 on: July 16, 2019, 09:04:18 PM »
???

What do they need to apologize for?

dropping the flag-could have acknowledged the oopsie doopsie that's all.  some people in this country don't realize it should NEVER touch the ground...especially those who burn it

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #445 on: July 16, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
dropping the flag-could have acknowledged the oopsie doopsie that's all.  some people in this country don't realize it should NEVER touch the ground...especially those who burn it

Holy unnatural carnal knowledgeing $hit this is pure madness.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #446 on: July 17, 2019, 12:17:04 AM »
Six days ago, you wrote:
"What statement does it make....we’re not going to base compensation on value, revenue coming in, etc, but because it makes everyone feel better?  Economics be damned?

Now, after you've been show the women are bringing in more revenue, you literally are saying "Economics be damned, we're not going to base compensation on value, revenue coming in, etc, teh menz should be paid more because they try."
What a clown show.

I haven’t been shown a thing....read the article again and tell me who brought in more overall revenue....stop cherry picking.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #447 on: July 18, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
Now those who are put off by the team's public displays are sexist and don't want strong women?
What gibberish. These women have been and are role models for my daughters and millions of young ladies. I would expect better representation for the country and hope for good examples on how to act in the public eye. Why can't we just be proud of their accomplishments without the crudity and politics. There is enough of that crap everywhere else.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #448 on: July 18, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
Now those who are put off by the team's public displays are sexist and don't want strong women?
What gibberish. These women have been and are role models for my daughters and millions of young ladies. I would expect better representation for the country and hope for good examples on how to act in the public eye. Why can't we just be proud of their accomplishments without the crudity and politics. There is enough of that crap everywhere else.

Everyone found it amusing when the NBC mics picked up the Blues players dropping F bombs repeatedly while skating with Lord Stanley's Cup. But women do it and we start clutching the pearls, saying they're supposed to be nice, demure, subservient role models and young girls can't possibly go on in life hearing a female swear.

As for the politics, I remember Mark Chmura refusing the go to the White House in 1997 and citing the Lewinski scandal, and everyone loved him for "taking a stand for morality." Does anyone remember what old Chewey did next?

Politics is ingrained in sports. From Jesse Owens, to Branch Rickey to Ali and John Carlos and Tommy Smith, then to Billy Jean King and not modern day with Kaepernick, LeBron and the USWNT. It's worldwide too (Petrovic and Divac during the break up of the former Yugoslavia are an excellent example, as well as Shaquri today). People can say "shut up a dribble" but they don't tell an accountant "shut up and count numbers" or a plumber "shut up and fix pipes." Why should athletes (or entertainers) be prohibited from having an opinion on current events?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #449 on: July 18, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »

I think I know what others here are trying to say, but I won't speak for them.

From my POV, my issue is that it seems you're holding this particular group of women to different standards. Do you get upset about other professional athletes' celebration displays? Regardless of sport, gender, regional/national etc.