[Today at 12:19:06 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by swoopem
[Today at 11:59:16 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187610 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #1100 on: December 18, 2019, 07:04:26 AM »
I don't think I have ever worn winter boots to a Marquette game, and I street park several blocks away. They do a pretty decent job of keeping the sidewalks and streets plowed.

That’s extremely erroneous. And we’re not talking winter boots.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1101 on: December 18, 2019, 08:02:30 AM »
Yeah, Milwaukee does a horrible job of getting sidewalks cleared, especially on city property despite the fact that there is a law on the books that snow has to be removed within 24 hours.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1102 on: December 18, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
That’s extremely erroneous. And we’re not talking winter boots.

PTM is a Important Person who needs to wear Steel Toes Boots to Kick Some Ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: December 18, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »
PTM is a Important Person who needs to wear Steel Toes Boots to Kick Some Ass.

This.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: December 18, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
This.

On the way out of FF last night I took a quick snap of your steel toed Uggs. Bought on Scoop?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: December 18, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
Better, in that it amuses me, but still likely doesn't help job wise.

What types of jobs are these?  Are they entry level and/or fresh college graduate positions where maybe you can understand a certain lack of understanding of how to write cover letters?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1106 on: December 18, 2019, 04:24:44 PM »
What types of jobs are these?  Are they entry level and/or fresh college graduate positions where maybe you can understand a certain lack of understanding of how to write cover letters?

Executive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: December 18, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: December 18, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »
lol

“Non profit” a1na

Yeah but still. 20+ years in the work force and you should know how to write a proper cover letter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: December 18, 2019, 07:51:21 PM »
Yeah but still. 20+ years in the work force and you should know how to write a proper cover letter.

Q: What kind of person spends 20 years in the work force then applies to a non-profit?

A: Someone who can’t write a cover letter.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

• All American
« Reply #1110 on: December 18, 2019, 07:53:54 PM »
Q: What kind of person spends 20 years in the work force then applies to a non-profit?

A: Someone who can’t write a cover letter.

People spend 20+ years working for non-profits, like higher education institutions, in all sorts of administrative positions.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1111 on: December 18, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »
lol

“Non profit” a1na

Why are execs at non profits laughable?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: December 18, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »
People spend 20+ years working for non-profits, like higher education institutions, in all sorts of administrative positions.

So these are people who, for 20+ years could have taken a course anytime in Writing 101 as a perk of the job, didn’t, and yet still can’t write a cover letter.

Again, what kind of skills are you expecting here?  Two kinds of people work for non-profits: 1) people who want to make a difference and 2) people who can’t write cover letters.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: December 19, 2019, 04:02:01 AM »
So these are people who, for 20+ years could have taken a course anytime in Writing 101 as a perk of the job, didn’t, and yet still can’t write a cover letter.

Again, what kind of skills are you expecting here?  Two kinds of people work for non-profits: 1) people who want to make a difference and 2) people who can’t write cover letters.

That’s a pretty dumb statement

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1114 on: December 19, 2019, 08:40:03 AM »
On the way out of FF last night I took a quick snap of your steel toed Uggs. Bought on Scoop?

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: December 19, 2019, 10:01:56 AM »
Semi-colons are pretty much dead. I couldn't even tell you the last time I've used one.

Another thing thats outdated that my parents still do is put two spaces after periods.

I still do the two spaces after periods as well.  I have anxiety reading anything my daughter writes using only one space.  I know times have changed, but I have to suppress the urge to edit it. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: December 19, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »
Semi-colons are pretty much dead. I couldn't even tell you the last time I've used one.

Another thing thats outdated that my parents still do is put two spaces after periods.

I used the two spaces in College and grad school. Sometimes you gotta meet a page quota and use the classic tricks after your point is made. (Also used the single space to meet a page max so it goes both ways)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: December 19, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
That’s a pretty dumb statement

Do people who work for institutions of higher education not receive free tuition at said institution?  If not, that's pretty dumb, too.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: December 19, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »
I used the two spaces in College and grad school. Sometimes you gotta meet a page quota and use the classic tricks after your point is made. (Also used the single space to meet a page max so it goes both ways)

Bumping all periods up from 12 to 14 can usually net you about 2 extra lines per page.  I've heard of people being reprimanded for double spacing, but I've never heard of someone catching on to the period trick.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1119 on: December 19, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »
Do people who work for institutions of higher education not receive free tuition at said institution?  If not, that's pretty dumb, too.

It depends on the institution.  It's pretty much the norm at private schools (and there are nice reciprocity programs at other schools0 to give free tuition but at public schools, it may not be. When I lived in WI it wasn't permitted at UW schools due to state of Wisconsin ethics rules. There are other states that may offer discounted but not full tuition remission. Room and board is not included either.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: December 19, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »
It depends on the institution.  It's pretty much the norm at private schools (and there are nice reciprocity programs at other schools0 to give free tuition but at public schools, it may not be. When I lived in WI it wasn't permitted at UW schools due to state of Wisconsin ethics rules. There are other states that may offer discounted but not full tuition remission. Room and board is not included either.

Am I crazy or did I hear that if you work at a Jesuit school tuition is free at all of them? Or at least at a huge discount?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: December 19, 2019, 02:26:05 PM »
Am I crazy or did I hear that if you work at a Jesuit school tuition is free at all of them? Or at least at a huge discount?

I think it may be part of the Catholic universities associations.  Not Jesuit, but my aunt has been faculty at St Norbert's for a long time.  My cousins went to Marquette and St Marys for free as a result, I believe Notre Dame would have been also applicable but my cousin who went to St Marys didnt get in.  Xavier was the second choice for one of my cousins who went to Marquette as well and it was pretty explicit that schools in that bucket were the options, otherwise they'd pay their own way.

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: December 19, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »
There are a number of programs.

https://www.cic.edu/member-services/tuition-exchange-program

http://cccte.org/

And yes there is one for just Jesuit schools

http://www.ajcunet.edu/fachex

Many of these are limited however.  Some only require schools to open up a limited number of slots per year.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1123 on: December 19, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »
I think it may be part of the Catholic universities associations.  Not Jesuit, but my aunt has been faculty at St Norbert's for a long time. 

She must know Sultan then!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: December 19, 2019, 05:56:26 PM »
open up a limited number of slots per year.

How many slots u open up bro?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.