[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186633 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #1150 on: January 07, 2020, 02:17:12 PM »
Curious how the Purdue fans reacted as the game progressed.

Lot of talk about luck and how Koby was having the game of his career and wouldn’t score like that ever again.

Strange thing to care about what other people are wearing.  I'm old enough to remember going to games and not wearing team apparel at all, just wearing whatever you pulled out of your drawer or closet.  It is different now.  I am trying to get to all the MLB ballparks and I'm a Red Sox fan and I may very well wear a Red Sox shirt while watching a game in an NL Park, because that is what I own.

Cool? I never said I cared, i just find it odd. Sorry that I should view my fan experience in 2020 in the lens of 30+ years ago lest I be deemed “strange” to care

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: January 09, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
Canada Goose jackets. Every single person in Minneapolis wears one. It's unreal.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: January 09, 2020, 01:51:09 PM »
Cool? I never said I cared, i just find it odd. Sorry that I should view my fan experience in 2020 in the lens of 30+ years ago lest I be deemed “strange” to care
Just pointing out a difference in generations, is all.  No harm meant.  Just something I never think about, other than if there is a planned white-out or something.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: January 09, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »
Canada Goose jackets. Every single person in Minneapolis wears one. It's unreal.

NAFTA?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: January 09, 2020, 02:42:36 PM »

I have one. They are unbelievably warm. But in my defense, I got it on sale (which almost never happens) and I walk a mile each way through the Loop on my commute, which can be pretty brutal in the winter.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: January 09, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »
I have one. They are unbelievably warm. But in my defense, I got it on sale (which almost never happens) and I walk a mile each way through the Loop on my commute, which can be pretty brutal in the winter.

Uphill both ways?

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1156 on: January 09, 2020, 04:32:16 PM »
Got my nephew one last November. He’s a freshman at Loyola-Chicago. Came in quite handy during the Polar Vortex. As an aside, there is an Instagram account called LUC-Geese which includes photos of kids wearing them around campus with some pretty funny tongue-in-cheek commentary directed at the perceived affluence of those who have them.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1157 on: January 09, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: January 09, 2020, 05:48:45 PM »
Got my nephew one last November. He’s a freshman at Loyola-Chicago. Came in quite handy during the Polar Vortex. As an aside, there is an Instagram account called LUC-Geese which includes photos of kids wearing them around campus with some pretty funny tongue-in-cheek commentary directed at the perceived affluence of those who have them.

Their current cheapest men's parks is $795.00. So...

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1159 on: January 09, 2020, 06:37:26 PM »
Their current cheapest men's parks is $795.00. So...
Trust me, I know how ridiculously expensive they are. However if you live somewhere as cold as the Upper Midwest I don’t think it’s the worst investment. Everyone that I know who has one raves about how warm they are.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: January 09, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »
Trust me, I know how ridiculously expensive they are. However if you live somewhere as cold as the Upper Midwest I don’t think it’s the worst investment. Everyone that I know who has one raves about how warm they are.

I would never trust a college kid with one. Too many opportunities for them to lose it and/or get it stolen.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1161 on: January 09, 2020, 06:56:19 PM »
I would never trust a college kid with one. Too many opportunities for them to lose it and/or get it stolen.
I don’t trust him to put on his pants the right way but he’s (hopefully) going to be there until 2022 and relatively  speaking it wasn’t crazy expensive compared to the other jackets that were reviewed as being the warmest.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: January 09, 2020, 07:05:47 PM »

Where I went wasn’t as cold as Milwaukee or Chicago, but it was still Midwest cold. Most bars had a coat hallway of sorts, not even a coat check. It was ruthless. Kids would take the wrong coat and the kid whose coat was mistakenly or purposefully stolen would just grab a different one. I was always particular about hiding mine, but my roommate Junior year no lie came home in a different coat each weekend like 3-4 weeks in a row. And he had a nice North Face originally so he wasn’t out thieving. It ended when the next morning he realized the coat he took was a women’s coat and then he stopped ever letting the next new coat leave his sight

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: January 09, 2020, 08:42:57 PM »

Here’s something I don’t get... people who use the word “investment” to describe things that have no chance in hell of appreciating in value. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:17:48 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: January 09, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »
I left so many coats at Real Chili.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: January 10, 2020, 07:53:45 AM »
NM
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:56:11 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: January 10, 2020, 08:51:07 AM »
Had never heard of Canada Goose but I recently got a very nice down parka at Sherper's for just $135.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1167 on: January 10, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
I've never heard of Canada Goose, although I imagine I will now start noticing them.

$1000+ for a jacket is insanity, though.  There's a ski shop near me .. like every jacket is $400 or more .. You can be plenty warm for $150.   Not to mention, buying expensive jackets for children is bonkers.

Same goes for cell phones.  You do not buy an iPhone 11 for a middle school kid. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: January 10, 2020, 09:44:04 AM »
I got an extremely warm jacket from Eddie Bauer a couple years ago in their post-Christmas clearance sale.  I've been very happy with it.  I don't recall exactly what I paid, but I'm sure it was sub-$200.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: January 10, 2020, 10:17:48 AM »
Here’s something I don’t get... people who use the word “investment” to describe things that have no chance in hell of appreciating in value.

The accidental irony of this post is awesome.  Investments can be non-financial, such as: purchasing a jacket looking for the outcome of staying warm.  However, the awesome part of this is that an alternative definition of "investment" means outer layer.   So these jackets are an investment in survival/staying warm, which is valid, but they are also literally an outer layer!   

Who saw that double entendre coming?!   I certainly didn't... mind blown!   I'm going to take the rest of today off just to recover.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: January 10, 2020, 10:31:52 AM »
I've never heard of Canada Goose, although I imagine I will now start noticing them.

$1000+ for a jacket is insanity, though.  There's a ski shop near me .. like every jacket is $400 or more .. You can be plenty warm for $150.   Not to mention, buying expensive jackets for children is bonkers.

Same goes for cell phones.  You do not buy an iPhone 11 for a middle school kid.
This. I was in Chicago over Thanksgiving with a bunch of Canadians who were wearing Canada Goose jackets. Figured it was a Canadian knockoff of North Face. Another area I do not know.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: January 10, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
I got an extremely warm jacket from Eddie Bauer a couple years ago in their post-Christmas clearance sale.  I've been very happy with it.  I don't recall exactly what I paid, but I'm sure it was sub-$200.

Eddie Bauer makes great stuff.  There is another company called Kelvin, for about 250, you can get an incredibly warm jacket, that is also battery heated.  It is like having the seat heater in your car go with you. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: January 10, 2020, 02:20:25 PM »
This. I was in Chicago over Thanksgiving with a bunch of Canadians who were wearing Canada Goose jackets. Figured it was a Canadian knockoff of North Face. Another area I do not know.

They just call them Goose jackets.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1173 on: January 10, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »
Its tremendous that the capitalistic falsehood that price equals quality/capability is alive and well in this thread
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1174 on: January 10, 2020, 02:41:30 PM »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”