[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 185634 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #1050 on: December 14, 2019, 07:37:37 AM »
I do all my marathon training on the sidewalks and paths in the neighborhood. Too many crazies out there. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1051 on: December 14, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
Also when I walk the dog on the sidewalk, she stops every ten feet.  When I walk her in the street, we actually walk.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1052 on: December 14, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »
I don't understand whether bicyclists want to be treated as pedestrians or as vehicles or as asshats who are selfish.

They want right of way from other vehicles but blow through stop signs and/or traffic lights. On paths they expect the runners/Walker's to get out of their way.

I don't get bicyclists
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: December 14, 2019, 11:15:39 AM »
I get the road walking thing entirely. Sidewalks are narrow and concrete is often cracked, buckled, or otherwise uneven with tripping as a very real consequence.

Where do you live that the sidewalks are in worse condition than the streets?  Only place I’ve ever seen that is the trailer parks, and ain’t nobody walking there who cares about a trip and fall. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: December 14, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »
When I was training for the marathon in HS first thing my mom made me do was get neon sweatshirts and a reflector and that's in a burb with a ton of street lights. No excuse for wearing dark clothes as a runner/jogger/walker

I have a blinker clip for my 5:30am runs. Don't need May through early September.
There are no sidewalks in Connecticut in the suburbs.  Only the cities.  Sidewalks are a distraction from the landscape.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: December 14, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
I don't understand whether bicyclists want to be treated as pedestrians or as vehicles or as asshats who are selfish.

They want right of way from other vehicles but blow through stop signs and/or traffic lights. On paths they expect the runners/Walker's to get out of their way.

I don't get bicyclists

They also demand separate bike paths and then don't use them.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: December 14, 2019, 05:21:21 PM »
Where do you live that the sidewalks are in worse condition than the streets?  Only place I’ve ever seen that is the trailer parks, and ain’t nobody walking there who cares about a trip and fall.

In da hood wear Ma sez ya kan rent a swell apartment for $800/mo., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1057 on: December 14, 2019, 11:04:30 PM »
I get the road walking thing entirely. Sidewalks are narrow and concrete is often cracked, buckled, or otherwise uneven with tripping as a very real consequence.
That said, you're an idiot if you are not illuminated more than an xmas tree with drivers out there who are fookin' with their phone, drunk, high, or all of the above.

What bout pullin on da ole pud, aina?

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: December 16, 2019, 12:31:21 PM »
People who submit generic cover letters when they are applying for a job. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: December 16, 2019, 01:05:14 PM »
I do all my marathon training on the sidewalks and paths in the neighborhood. Too many crazies out there.

Same. I still have almost been hit a few times in crosswalks with the walk sign on. Look both ways, distracted drivers blow through red lights. It's insanity.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: December 16, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »

+1000. Or people who can't be bothered to get a name right in an email. I'm in recruiting and the lack of professionalism of some people will never cease to amaze me.

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: December 16, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »
Hey I just read one where he is applying for a job for the City of San Bernadino.  (I don't work for the City of San Bernadino.)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: December 16, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »
At cross-walks in various cities including Milwaukee, the go noise appears to sound like machine gun fire.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: December 16, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »

Would you recommend a salutation of "Dear Sir/Madam" or "To whom it may concern"?

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: December 16, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
Would you recommend a salutation of "Dear Sir/Madam" or "To whom it may concern"?

I'm partial to "Dear Hiring Professional"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: December 16, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »

“Dear Z”, @ina?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: December 16, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »

From my job search experience:
You try to get the person's name that the Cover Letter & Resume will go to.  HR Manager or Engineering Manager (for example).  You can comb LinkedIn or just call the company business phone and ask as someone will often at least share a name.

If I got nowhere, then I just go with Dear Sir or Madam:

Always use the colon not a comma.  It's a business letter not a friendly letter.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: December 16, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »
At cross-walks in various cities including Milwaukee, the go noise appears to sound like machine gun fire.

London and HK have a concussive sounding chatter with a higher pitched beep over the top.  Its like they only took a piece of that and the results don't work.  Funny enough, as someone who is a great fan of both those cities, their crosswalk sound is something I attach fondness to every time i hear it, like a familiar smell people enjoy and associate with happiness.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: December 16, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »
Hey I just read one where he is applying for a job for the City of San Bernadino.  (I don't work for the City of San Bernadino.)

Lettus no wen starts off, Deer Dr. Ruth, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: December 16, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »
The NET Rankings.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: December 16, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »
London and HK have a concussive sounding chatter with a higher pitched beep over the top.  Its like they only took a piece of that and the results don't work.  Funny enough, as someone who is a great fan of both those cities, their crosswalk sound is something I attach fondness to every time i hear it, like a familiar smell people enjoy and associate with happiness.

Ha, never been able to put it into words but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: December 16, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »
Always use the colon not a comma.  It's a business letter not a friendly letter.

Honest question... is this even being taught anymore? 

Also, more and more I'm seeing hyphens in place of a semi-colon in business emails (when they are bothering to punctuate).  Are there separate rules for business emails or do the follow the written letter conventions?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: December 16, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »
Honest question... is this even being taught anymore? 

Also, more and more I'm seeing hyphens in place of a semi-colon in business emails (when they are bothering to punctuate).  Are there separate rules for business emails or do the follow the written letter conventions?

Semi-colons are pretty much dead. I couldn't even tell you the last time I've used one.

Another thing thats outdated that my parents still do is put two spaces after periods.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: December 16, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »
Semi-colons are pretty much dead; I couldn't even tell you the last time I've used one.

Another thing thats outdated that my parents still do is put two spaces after periods.

FIFY

I use semi-colons all the time.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: December 16, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »

Well...at least it wasn’t generic.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback