[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187297 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #1075 on: December 16, 2019, 06:10:04 PM »
+1000. Or people who can't be bothered to get a name right in an email. I'm in recruiting and the lack of professionalism of some people will never cease to amaze me.

My last name was once spelled three different ways by an applicant on a cover letter (2) and the envelope (1), all three incorrect. That person did not get a callback. I've had the wrong company used too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: December 16, 2019, 06:15:34 PM »
People writing/typing 'pls' and/or 'thx' to others.

If you're really thankful, can't you effin write out "thank you" or "thanks"? You have to shorthand it?

ps - thx 4 reading my post guys
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: December 16, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »
My last name was once spelled three different ways by an applicant on a cover letter (2) and the envelope (1), all three incorrect. That person did not get a callback. I've had the wrong company used too.

Byllie
Sheeks
Happaloop
😝

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: December 16, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
The NBA

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1079 on: December 16, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »
Byllie
Sheeks
Happaloop
😝

those are my various first names.  ;)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1080 on: December 16, 2019, 07:50:17 PM »

If you're really thankful, can't you effin write out "thank you" or "thanks"? You have to shorthand it?

If you really mean “no homo”, can’t you write it out instead of constantly abbreviating it to “nh”?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: December 16, 2019, 08:47:57 PM »
Honest question... is this even being taught anymore? 

Also, more and more I'm seeing hyphens in place of a semi-colon in business emails (when they are bothering to punctuate).  Are there separate rules for business emails or do the follow the written letter conventions?

Not sure Benny.

That's why my kids are getting Emily Post's book on Etiquette (19th edition) for Christmas.
The world does require some etiquette.  Was reading in Yankee Magazine how sales of the book have been increasing with people wanting to exhibit more of it in business.

My younger daughter proved the point when she opened the box from Amazon addressed to me.  She thought it might have been something she ordered and questioned why she would need a book like that.  My reply was "Because if you had etiquette, you wouldn't have opened a box addressed to your father."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: December 16, 2019, 09:46:11 PM »
People who submit generic cover letters when they are applying for a job.

My man ZFB didn't have to bother with a cover letter for his latest gig. The restaurant had a 'hiring event' where you just showed up between noon and 4pm and they interviewed you right on the spot. Dude got a 20 hours a week job plus a free taco right there on the spot, no cover letter required.

If you really mean “no homo”, can’t you write it out instead of constantly abbreviating it to “nh”?

No way - it's too long nh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1083 on: December 16, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
My man ZFB didn't have to bother with a cover letter for his latest gig. The restaurant had a 'hiring event' where you just showed up between noon and 4pm and they interviewed you right on the spot. Dude got a 20 hours a week job plus a free taco right there on the spot, no cover letter required.

if the waitress has dirty ankles, the tacos are good? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: December 16, 2019, 11:15:02 PM »
Semi-colons are pretty much dead. I couldn't even tell you the last time I've used one.

I use semicolons quite regularly; I find them very useful.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: December 17, 2019, 12:29:21 AM »

TY

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: December 17, 2019, 04:08:48 AM »
Y'all make dis language thang wey two complikated, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1087 on: December 17, 2019, 05:23:47 AM »

Restaurant is a nice way of describing the peep show club.   We do have a taco buffet, something to eat between shows.   Thx.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1088 on: December 17, 2019, 07:21:48 AM »
People who submit generic cover letters when they are applying for a job. 

Oh FFS...

"Good day:

Please accept the enclosed materials as application for the position referenced herein."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: December 17, 2019, 07:25:07 AM »
The entirety of the cover letter:

"Greetings, I would love to hear more about the open position. I think I would be a fantastic fit based upon the job description. Thank you for your time and interest!"
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: December 17, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »
I don’t get how the Fiserv has the worst metal detectors when it comes to boots.

This is Milwaukee in the winter. A lot people have steel/aluminum toe boots, they should have figured out a better way instead of seeing a bunch of guys taking their boots off to get in the place.

I have no use for any boot or winter shoe without a safety toe, and I’m certainly not getting boots just to walk into the Fiserv.

No problems getting into Wrigley, Miller, Lambeau, United Center, HOB, and other concert venues with steel toes.

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: December 17, 2019, 07:47:50 AM »
Hey look, a candidate who refers to himself in the third person throughout his cover letter.  That's interesting!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: December 17, 2019, 08:05:14 AM »
I don’t get how the Fiserv has the worst metal detectors when it comes to boots.

This is Milwaukee in the winter. A lot people have steel/aluminum toe boots, they should have figured out a better way instead of seeing a bunch of guys taking their boots off to get in the place.

I have no use for any boot or winter shoe without a safety toe, and I’m certainly not getting boots just to walk into the Fiserv.

No problems getting into Wrigley, Miller, Lambeau, United Center, HOB, and other concert venues with steel toes.

I don't get security theater in its entirety.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: December 17, 2019, 08:32:13 AM »
Hey look, a candidate who refers to himself in the third person throughout his cover letter.  That's interesting!

Better or worse than generic?
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: December 17, 2019, 08:53:41 AM »
Better or worse than generic?

Better, in that it amuses me, but still likely doesn't help job wise.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: December 17, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
The entirety of the cover letter:

"Greetings, I would love to hear more about the open position. I think I would be a fantastic fit based upon the job description. Thank you for your time and interest!"

Oof, I mean admittedly I have a general template for all my cover letters, but I do bother to put in the company name and adjust the skills and qualifications based on what I’m applying for.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: December 17, 2019, 09:26:47 PM »

Who needs boots on a night like tonight? I was wearing canvas sneakers and I was fine.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: December 18, 2019, 06:25:58 AM »
Who needs boots on a night like tonight? I was wearing canvas sneakers and I was fine.

Tonight, yes. Quickly coming to an end.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: December 18, 2019, 06:30:30 AM »

Even walkin' from 6th and Brown, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: December 18, 2019, 06:48:17 AM »
Tonight, yes. Quickly coming to an end.

I don't think I have ever worn winter boots to a Marquette game, and I street park several blocks away. They do a pretty decent job of keeping the sidewalks and streets plowed.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback