collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 184103 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #525 on: June 23, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »
POINTS!!!! and Cash Back. Plus interest free loan.

Yep. Yep. And yep.

My $$$ is in an online bank paying 2.2% interest.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #526 on: June 23, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »
This topic came up at work a few weeks ago and I mentioned how I have never paid interest on a credit card.  The two guys first looked at dumbfounded then it was like they were in awe.  I honestly didn't realize that we were so abnormal.

Yup, look how the avg American is thousands of dollars in debt.....because they don’t or can’t pay the cards off.

Avg debt is $5700 on credit cards.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #527 on: June 23, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »
Yep. Yep. And yep.

My $$$ is in an online bank paying 2.2% interest.

CIT Bank paying about 2.4% at the moment.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #528 on: June 23, 2019, 04:29:19 PM »
CIT Bank paying about 2.4% at the moment.

Wow. Is there a max balance they'll pay that on?

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #529 on: June 23, 2019, 05:22:10 PM »
Let's talk debit cards.  There are no advantages.  Theft protection, return protection, building no credit rating, no 30 day interest free loan.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/vsMydMDi3rI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/vsMydMDi3rI</a>
I had the treat of spending many hours with Frank Abagnale (Catch me if you can)...I was a witness on his will signing.

After prison release he had a long career as a fraud/white collar crime  consultant,  and our lawyers hired him to consult on a bunch of cases. Great storyteller too. What an absolute charmer of the ladies...the movie got that part right. He was gifted with innate high level intelligence and incredible attention to detail.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #530 on: June 23, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
I’m curious why you say this.

Already explained by many here - rewards, interest on money that remains in your checking account longer, etc., etc., . I'm curious why you were curious.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #532 on: June 23, 2019, 08:27:42 PM »
I don't get why people have like a dozen CCs. My wife has like 10 when we met and I've slowly whittled her down to 3 at most (our shared primary and one or two store specific ones she won't give up) so that we maximize points, minimize the number of cards we have to remember to pay off every month, etc.

I don't get people who don't do it that way
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #533 on: June 23, 2019, 08:31:11 PM »
I had the treat of spending many hours with Frank Abagnale (Catch me if you can)...I was a witness on his will signing.

After prison release he had a long career as a fraud/white collar crime  consultant,  and our lawyers hired him to consult on a bunch of cases. Great storyteller too. What an absolute charmer of the ladies...the movie got that part right. He was gifted with innate high level intelligence and incredible attention to detail.

He was the one that faked his way onto a hospital ship during Vietnam or Korea right? Then proceeded to fake being a doctor. THEN performed successful surgery? Because that is amazing.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #534 on: June 23, 2019, 08:33:33 PM »
I don't get why people have like a dozen CCs. My wife has like 10 when we met and I've slowly whittled her down to 3 at most (our shared primary and one or two store specific ones she won't give up) so that we maximize points, minimize the number of cards we have to remember to pay off every month, etc.

Your credit rating get hit?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #535 on: June 23, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »
He was the one that faked his way onto a hospital ship during Vietnam or Korea right? Then proceeded to fake being a doctor. THEN performed successful surgery? Because that is amazing.

The movie "Catch Me if You Can" was based on his life.
Have some patience, FFS.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #536 on: June 23, 2019, 08:38:30 PM »
The movie "Catch Me if You Can" was based on his life.

Aye Ive seen it. Pretty good movie. However the person I was thinking of is Ferdinand Demara

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #537 on: June 23, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »
Your credit rating get hit?

We're both north of 800, so no I guess?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #538 on: June 23, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »
Aye Ive seen it. Pretty good movie. However the person I was thinking of is Ferdinand Demara
He also was the subject of a fun watch movie..."The Great Impostor" (1961) starring Tony Curtis
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #539 on: June 23, 2019, 09:18:24 PM »
There is no doubt we use far less cash than we used to but it still comes in handy.  Like last year. At State Fair.  When my delightful niece wanted a beer.

Now that I think about it, maybe she WAS the smart one.   ?-(

MU82

• All American
« Reply #540 on: June 23, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »

I don't have a dozen, but I do have more than 3.

Barclay's offers 60K miles to those who get their American Air co-branded credit card. I want the miles. I open the card. A year later, when they start charging the annual fee, I close the card. I have done that with several others -- United, Marriott, Hilton, etc.

I don't recommend this for everybody. Some can't keep track of the pay dates. Some can't remember to cancel them when the fee starts. Some have only OK credit scores and opening/closing cards adversely affects those scores. Some might be buying a house or a car soon and don't want to risk even a small decrease in credit score.

But for those who have none of those problems ... it's free stuff worth hundreds (or thousands) of dollars. For example, I am using my AA bonus miles for two one-way first-class flights to Seattle. That's more than $1200 worth of free flights.

I like free stuff.

Yup, look how the avg American is thousands of dollars in debt.....because they don’t or can’t pay the cards off.

Avg debt is $5700 on credit cards.

I give most Scoopers who are taking part in this discussion credit for being more intelligent and financially savvy than the average American.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #541 on: June 23, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »
I deal with every day Americans, you should see the crazy stuff and their priorities....it is breathtaking at times.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #542 on: June 23, 2019, 10:08:09 PM »
I have a coworker who is about 47. He goes back and forth telling me a) how he and his wife live paycheck to paycheck and has nothing in savings (even though they make ~$120/yr between them) while he has the newest iPhone and buys cars new for him and his kids and b) how he plans to retire early at 59-60.

I go back and forth between being stunned at his financial ineptitude and mad that he wastes my time telling me his big plans that have no possibility of coming true.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #543 on: June 23, 2019, 10:56:52 PM »
I have a coworker who is about 47. He goes back and forth telling me a) how he and his wife live paycheck to paycheck and has nothing in savings (even though they make ~$120/yr between them) while he has the newest iPhone and buys cars new for him and his kids and b) how he plans to retire early at 59-60.

I go back and forth between being stunned at his financial ineptitude and mad that he wastes my time telling me his big plans that have no possibility of coming true.

I have an employee that complains that he doesn't make enough money to 'truly live his life', yet he recently decided to cut a day out of his work week.  You can imagine how much sympathy I have for his situation.

People are nuts.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #544 on: June 24, 2019, 07:16:02 AM »
1 credit card.  No credit card debt.  Last time I bought a car, the sales manager said he had never seen a credit rating that high and I could afford more car than I was buying.  I asked him how he thought I got the insanely high credit rating.   

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #545 on: June 24, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
Something my wife and I don't get:  expensive jewelry.  She's always been very uncomfortable with expensive jewelry.  I'm thankful that she doesn't get it; it's saved us quite a lot of money over the years.  We've both been amazed by the amount of money that people spend on such things.  When I graduated she bought me a nice watch -- with "nice" being relative -- $600 or $700 or so.  Aside from our engagement/wedding rings, it's the most expensive piece of jewelry we've ever bought (and those rings weren't very much more) - and I rarely wear it.  She has her grandmother's pearls, which I suspect are worth more, but I don't know - and aside from our wedding day, I don't think she's ever worn those.  I've offered to "upgrade" her engagement and/or wedding rings which were purchased when we had no money, but she's absolutely not interested.  Perhaps she'll change her mind once we're done paying for our kids' education...that (along with planning for retirement) has been our financial priority for years.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #546 on: June 24, 2019, 10:19:56 AM »
Something my wife and I don't get:  expensive jewelry.  She's always been very uncomfortable with expensive jewelry.  I'm thankful that she doesn't get it; it's saved us quite a lot of money over the years.  We've both been amazed by the amount of money that people spend on such things.  When I graduated she bought me a nice watch -- with "nice" being relative -- $600 or $700 or so.  Aside from our engagement/wedding rings, it's the most expensive piece of jewelry we've ever bought (and those rings weren't very much more) - and I rarely wear it.  She has her grandmother's pearls, which I suspect are worth more, but I don't know - and aside from our wedding day, I don't think she's ever worn those.  I've offered to "upgrade" her engagement and/or wedding rings which were purchased when we had no money, but she's absolutely not interested.  Perhaps she'll change her mind once we're done paying for our kids' education...that (along with planning for retirement) has been our financial priority for years.
You'd need the jaws of life to get the wedding ring off my fat finger by now, not that I would ever consider not wearing it.  The only jewelry I own are it and a really cheap watch (it's a winder that I got in 1978 for playing in a basketball tournament-it stills works fine but I never wear it because I don't like things on my wrist and I can always check my phone for the time).  I've never bought a new car for myself (I've never driven as my primary car a vehicle that was built in the decade I was driving it).  All I want is something reliable that gets me where I'm going.  But I "get" why people might like to have expensive jewelry or a really expensive watch or a new car with all the bells and whistles.  I suppose it is the whole point of this thread, but I suspect most everybody has things that they like to spend their money/time on that a great chunk of the population would not understand.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #547 on: June 24, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
I don't get mosquito bites, I get bit but no longer have any allergic reaction to the bite, it doesn't even seem top leave a mark. I used to see bites on my arms etc., my wife will get bites sitting right next to me so I'm pretty sure I'm also getting bites.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #548 on: June 24, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
I don't get mosquito bites, I get bit but no longer have any allergic reaction to the bite, it doesn't even seem top leave a mark. I used to see bites on my arms etc., my wife will get bites sitting right next to me so I'm pretty sure I'm also getting bites.

I must get all of yours.  I have tried everything to prevent them, and nothing seems to work.

I saw an article that said there are patches (same delivery technology as a nicotine patch) and might give that a try.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #549 on: June 24, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »
Restaurants where everything is "shared plates".

I am cool with splitting an appetizer, but otherwise, I like having my own damned plate of food that I can enjoy even if no one else would have wanted it!  Who decided that it would be fun to go out to eat and have every thing you order put up to a vote?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:34:50 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback