[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187251 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
Surprising amount of dislike for Jim Carrey.

You can buy ESA permits off Amazon. Obnoxious.

Social media influencers is on the top of my list

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2019, 09:11:18 PM »
Get off the strip.  Nothing cool there.  I've been there many times when I never even made it over there.

I’ve been off the strip probably more than I’ve been on it. Vegas is the Applebees of cities.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »
Seems like a lot of acquired taste items on here. e.g.

Coffee
Hoppy Beers
Scotch
Threesomes

All items people usually dislike on their first taste, but with more experience learn to appreciate the joys in them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2019, 10:32:44 PM »
I gave up alcohol for 18 years. Started to have beer again in 2011. At first, I couldn't handle anything even slightly hoppy. Drank lite beer or wheat beer. But gradually, I expanded my pallet (and my waistline), and now I enjoy a good IPA. Really like the hazies, but not only them. If one is super-hoppy it's still not for me, but I actually seek good IPAs now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2019, 10:47:16 PM »
Sours are the most acquired taste of beers, I love them but I absolutely get why others wouldn't get them
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2019, 11:01:32 PM »
Sours are the most acquired taste of beers, I love them but I absolutely get why others wouldn't get them

Agreed.

I didn't like them as recently as a year ago. Now, I enjoy most I try.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2019, 11:20:46 PM »
Don't hedge your bets Galway.  Stick to your guns.  Queen is terrible and ridiculous.  Their songs are ridiculous.  The only good one is Under Pressure, because of Bowie, and Vanilla Ice.

Never thought I would see “Vanilla Ice” and “good” in the same sentence.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2019, 11:35:38 PM »
Seems like a lot of acquired taste items on here. e.g.

Coffee
Hoppy Beers
Scotch
Threesomes

All items people usually dislike on their first taste, but with more experience learn to appreciate the joys in them.

What about hopscotch?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2019, 11:39:51 PM »
If any of you are on Instagram I highly recommend you follow Gary Janetti. His takes on the royal family are hilarious.

Add Gary janetti to my list.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2019, 05:19:18 AM »

Rauchbier is definitely the most acquired taste of beers. That stuff is so weird. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »
Brother Dgies, I can agree that people who don't train their dogs are the absolute worst. Doubly true if they are emotional support animals because the least you can do when taking your animal into a crowded public space is to make sure it is trained and bathed. I would also say that it is common courtesy in that situation to put the dog in the window seat and the human in the middle seat.

But I can't agree with the statement that people who need ESAs don't belong on airplanes. If that were true that would mean my wife (and I by extension) don't belong on airplanes. I'm sorry your ride was uncomfortable and smelly. It was likely not very comfortable for the person with the ESA either.

Agreed. There's a ton of misinformation about emotional support animals out there and some of that confusion paralyzes businesses from enforcing their rules. There are also those that use that misinformation to their advantage and abuse the system. In  this case, I was reacting the quotation marks around emotional support animals.

First of all brother TAMU, if I was offensive, I do apologize.

My concern is twofold. First, for every situation like your wife, there are dozens upon dozens of situations where dogs masquerade as comfort animals in an effort to avoid either a $250 or more fee to check the dog in cargo or to make sure the airline lets the dog onboard. I'm candidly guessing my experience was the former.

I think the middle seat idea is a good one, by the way.

In my case, my wife and I have a 12-year-old cocker spaniel. We recently traveled from our homes in Florida to Chicago. We had three choices. First, call him a comfort animal, get him a certificate and fly him in the plane to Chicago. The second would be to check him as cargo, pay the money and fly him in the cargo pit back to Chicago. The third was, in Amtrak language, alternate transportation. Our dog was alternately transported in one of our cars by me from Florida to Chicago!

Gosh, that was a long trip! Darn dog!

Second, I have been flying for personal and business reasons since the 1960s (first flight was in 1964 on a DC-3). It's strictly anecdotal but I never saw comfort animals until fairly recently. I honestly don't understand the concept but I'm not a trained professional either.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »
I've been four times, don't get the fascination either.  Cool shows but otherwise overpriced restaurants, weak beer scene, crowded as hell.

Ever been off the Strip?  Serious question but I don't want to hijack the thread.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
Ever been off the Strip?  Serious question but I don't want to hijack the thread.

When I go to Las Vegas, this is what I see when I look out my window.

Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2019, 10:45:35 AM »
Rauchbier is definitely the most acquired taste of beers. That stuff is so weird.

That is fair.

I do get weird looks when I make a true German Radler that all the shandy's are trying to intimate
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2019, 11:15:05 AM »
Can I add people who are weirdly proud of not watching reality tv to the list? Like it's some badge of honor

Only if I can add people who are weird because they think they’re watching reality TV. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2019, 11:35:02 AM »
The comfort animal thing has been abused (like most things) to an extreme.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2019, 11:38:01 AM »

Most things?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »
All inclusive resorts.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
You can buy ESA permits off Amazon. Obnoxious.

You can. They do not mean anything. There is no certificate for ESAs. What is needed to prove an ESA is a signed letter from a mental health professional. If anyone presents you with a certificate but not a letter you can tell them it don't mean sh*t. Also, if anyone tries to bring their ESA anywhere other than a plane (maybe train and bus too IDK) or into a property that they are actively renting/owning, you can tell them their dog isn't allowed.

My concern is twofold. First, for every situation like your wife, there are dozens upon dozens of situations where dogs masquerade as comfort animals in an effort to avoid either a $250 or more fee to check the dog in cargo or to make sure the airline lets the dog onboard. I'm candidly guessing my experience was the former.

Your apology is of course accepted Dgies. But I would be careful with assumptions like this. It is a misconception that for every legitimate one there are dozens that are not. I have no idea what ratio but I would guess that most are legitimately prescribed by licensed mental health professionals. All airlines that I'm aware of have tightened up their policies and require a signed letter from a mental health care professional to be submitted for review months before boarding and a copy of it needs to be present at boarding.

So increase fines for those who fake it. Increase training for those who may need to gatekeep the differences between service animals, esas, and normal pets. Don't disparage an entire group of people and throw the baby out with the bathwater.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:25:50 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »

Yes. Have hiked/scrambled up Red Rocks a few times. Really cool. But, when people say “Vegas” it’s really referring to the Strip. So many other places I’d rather go to for vacation.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Folks,,,

• Starter
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »
Allowing dogs, or pets in general, to sleep in your bed.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
People who lie and say their pet is an emotional support animal when they are not are the worst. I would be careful assuming that is what is going on when you meet someone with an emotional support animal

Yeah, I meant the liars. I had a coworker who made a vest for their little rat dog so it could go to restaurants with them. And let’s not forget the emotional support peacock.  I guess I should have claimed my cat as a ESA when I moved with him to avoid paying the fees, eh?  Instead, my emotional support on long flights is my iPad, Netflix and CBD/THC gummies.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/31/united-refused-to-let-an-emotional-support-peacock-board-plane.html
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
Let’s get this thread back on track.

The farce on NBC called Notre Dame “football”.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »
Never thought I would see “Vanilla Ice” and “good” in the same sentence.

So odd that it took this long for someone to call that out!  Haha!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
 Bob Dylan