Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Outsiders View Of Hausers Transfer  (Read 124750 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Outsiders View Of Hausers Transfer
« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2019, 11:24:57 AM »
No one looks good in either iteration of these stories—but in particular I agree that it reflects poorly on the coaches.  A good portion of being a success is keeping he peace/managing egos in b-ball.

That’s fine and great, but there can also be a time where there is no resolution except to part ways, too.  There is a reason why transfer rates are so damn high.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
Didn't mean to imply it was 100% true. I do think thought, that if this story is true, the only coaches that would have been able to get them all back on board, would be an established coach, e.g. 15-20 years head coach experience at that school. Where it would be hard to challenge their credibility.

I think you may be right though on how the long leash affected people. Again if the new story is true. It likely explains why there were more rumors about people leaving. My guess some like Bailey/Anim, maybe Cain or Elliott would have left if Markus was gone and Joey stayed.

But the anti Wojo people don’t want to factor that part in.  Imagine their howling if Joey stayed and Markus + 3 or 4 others gone....net net, worse team then we have today.  Sorry to see them go, especially Sam....but that is life. 

Moved on
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »
Well said.  Totally plausible.  Joey having UW as his first choice but with Sam being here.  Then when not getting what they want, packing their ball and leaving.

Maybe we should think of Joey as our Trojoey Horse. Who would have thought back when he committed that we would have been better off had he gone to UW rather than Marquette? 

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2019, 12:47:42 PM »
Maybe we should think of Joey as our Trojoey Horse. Who would have thought back when he committed that we would have been better off had he gone to UW rather than Marquette?

In hindsight,  everyone would have been better off if Sam and Joey went to different schools.  Both lost a chance to blaze their own legacy.

Edit:  The Hausers can make whatever choices they want in life.  They were unhappy,  they moved on.  Too bad it didn't work out.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:18:43 PM by Lazar's Headband »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2019, 01:32:08 PM »
In hindsight,  everyone would have been better off if Sam and Joey went to different schools.  Both lost a chance to blaze their own legacy.

Kind of presumptuous to assume that Sam’s not doing what’s better for him now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
Kind of presumptuous to assume that Sam’s not doing what’s better for him now.

Sam can make whatever choice he wants.  He's made his.  So be it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2019, 03:52:29 PM »
 we also don't know with the additions of dexter and hopefully symir to our roster this year, plus improvement of brendan, greg eliot and ike, we may be a better team than anyone including ESPN has forecast.  regardless, we've got to play the games.  what did they predict for us last year preseason?  with the exception of our late season meltdown, i think we blew just about everyone's predictions.  giving us a top 10 rating before playing any games sets us up for failure.  i'd rather start out reasonably ranked, #14 or 15 or something and play our way up than, as some polls had us as high as #2??  that's crazy stupid.  all i know is that i don't like freshman telling upperclassmen to go suck it. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »
we also don't know with the additions of dexter and hopefully symir to our roster this year, plus improvement of brendan, greg eliot and ike, we may be a better team than anyone including ESPN has forecast.  regardless, we've got to play the games.  what did they predict for us last year preseason?  with the exception of our late season meltdown, i think we blew just about everyone's predictions.  giving us a top 10 rating before playing any games sets us up for failure.  i'd rather start out reasonably ranked, #14 or 15 or something and play our way up than, as some polls had us as high as #2??  that's crazy stupid.  all i know is that i don't like freshman telling upperclassmen to go suck it.

#2 was just fools gold anyway. We’ll have a better chance at success next year without the hausers if you consider the fact that the locker room would have been a steaming pile of garbage if they returned.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #258 on: May 04, 2019, 06:09:35 PM »
Well, well, well ... this was some interesting stuff.

From what I have heard Murph is pretty accurate with what he says above. There was discord for awhile. My information comes from a parent of a player, a good friend of the Hausers and a very close friend of one of the coaches where the Hausers are considering. I have had this information for about two weeks and elected not to share until now so hopefully I remember everything.

The problems first started when Markus challenged Joey to be tougher and said more was needed from him for the team to reach their full potential. This was done as a friend and captain and with Sam's approval. Joey did not take the message well to the point his friendship with Markus was affected. As the year went on the friendship steadily got worse. Sam and Markus remained friends but not as close. The Hauser and Howard families relationship became strained as well. I was told that Joey now absolutely hates Markus and the Hauser family does not like the Howard family. Sam and Markus are still friends but again not as close. A letter was written to Wojo by the Hausers at the prompting of the parents and it was really because Joey was disgruntled. Teammates suggested they not give the letter to Wojo and no teammate signed the letter with the Hausers. Markus became aware of the letter and initially tried backing off his focus on scoring and tried to patch things up with Joey. Unfortunately, the offense became stagnant and the ball ended up in Markus' hands at the end of the shot clock and Markus and Joey's relationship did not improve.

Fast forward to the locker room after the Murray State game and Markus challenged a teammate for how they played in the game. Sam stepped in as a co-captain and Markus and Sam got into an argument. Joey then joined Sam and got into a shoving match with Markus. Wojo walked in at the end of this and did not do anything. Wojo simply let the players handle it. The Hauser family was upset that Wojo did not stick up for Sam and Joey. In addition none of the other players sided with Sam and Joey including the player Markus had confronted. I was told before the team returned to Milwaukee Joey was definitely going to transfer if Markus returned. The belief was that Sam would still return. Eventually Sam went along with the sentiments of the family and agreed to transfer if Markus came back. Once Markus announced he was returning the Hausers announced their decision.

One of the coaches the Hausers contacted asked why they were transferring. When informed of their reason he told them things would have been handled the same with his team. The coached asked them to think about whether they'd really want to join his team if that was the case and they should take a few days to decide. If there was a divisive member on last years team it was Joey because he would sulk which the players not getting as many minutes did not appreciate. Two players most likely would have transferred if Joey returned.

It still happened on Wojo's watch, and he still was unable to diffuse the situation. Maybe it's unfair to put so much of this on him, but, as they say, that's why he gets the big bucks.

Having said that ...

This explanation makes a ton of sense. It's more plausible than anything I had read before, especially from all those who failed to explain that if the Hausers had a problem with Wojo and not with Markus, why quit only after Markus said he was staying?

If true, Joey seems like a spoiled brat and a bad teammate with a thin skin ... the Hausers seem like the typical sports parents ... and Sam seems to have been caught in the middle of a tough situation. And to think, they cost us a shot at Herro, to boot.

I was gonna thoroughly enjoy rooting against these newest F%ckies anyway; now I will enjoy booing them even more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2019, 01:29:37 PM »
But...again what do outsiders think?

Here's how its being spun in Virginia:

"A lot of college basketball fans have wondered why the Hauser brothers, Sam and Joey, decided to transfer from Marquette.

The two are wrapping up their visit to Michigan State, their final visit, and should decide soon between the Spartans (who reportedly have only one scholarship available), Virginia, and Wisconsin. They visited UVA last week and had previously visited Wisconsin.

According to a source close to the Marquette program, the Hausers were frustrated playing with Markus Howard, described as a “ball-dominant” player.

The source indicated that the Hausers wanted to belong to a more “team-oriented” offense and were turned off by Howard’s ball-hogging antics."

from jerryratcliffe.com (an athletic news site for U of Virginia fans)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:32:54 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »

"A lot of college basketball fans have wondered why the Hauser brothers, Sam and Joey, decided to transfer from Marquette.

The two are wrapping up their visit to Michigan State, their final visit, and should decide soon between the Spartans (who reportedly have only one scholarship available), Virginia, and Wisconsin. They visited UVA last week and had previously visited Wisconsin.

According to a source close to the Marquette program, the Hausers were frustrated playing with Markus Howard, described as a “ball-dominant” player.

The source indicated that the Hausers wanted to belong to a more “team-oriented” offense and were turned off by Howard’s ball-hogging antics."

Totally believable.

Those who say it was 100% about disliking/distrusting Wojo and 0% about Markus obviously lost that argument when it became known they would have stayed to play for Wojo if Markus had gone.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »
Totally believable.

Those who say it was 100% about disliking/distrusting Wojo and 0% about Markus obviously lost that argument when it became known they would have stayed to play for Wojo if Markus had gone.

Which is strange.  I'm not sure I would want them back given those circumstances.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2019, 02:58:48 PM »

+1. What I've been saying all along.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2019, 03:30:45 PM »

It's not "spin" if it's the truth.  Though Wojo's refusal to reign in Markus was also a factor.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »
+1. What I've been saying all along.
I doubt a source close to the program would tell a reporter the reason was Markus' ball hogging antics. Unless that source was the Hausers themselves.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
I doubt a source close to the program would tell a reporter the reason was Markus' ball hogging antics. Unless that source was the Hausers themselves.

Seriously. People close to the program aren't bashing Marlkus anonymously to a Virginia sports blogger.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »
So it was all about their touches.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2019, 05:25:19 PM »
Of course it was. All the other nonsense was, well, nonsense.

I hope they go to Virginia. Will relish seeing them dismantled by future NBA draft picks on a routine basis.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
That’s fine and great, but there can also be a time where there is no resolution except to part ways, too.  There is a reason why transfer rates are so damn high.

How?  How are transfer rates so high?  I don’t get it.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »

Yeah, so?  What’s your point?  Sam didn’t want to spend his last year of eligibility watching another season of The Markus Show.  He wanted to go to a school where he’d have a chance to be an equally important contributor.  Frankly, he’s too good to play second banana to a selfish guy trying to showcase himself every night, and he’s paid his college basketball dues, to boot.  While everyone has their own version of why they believe the transfer happened, I think it was more about Sam than Joey.

So who cares if it was about touches?  You think Markus would’ve stuck around if he wasn’t getting as many touches as he wanted, whenever he wanted them?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:03:41 PM by Research Report »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #270 on: May 16, 2019, 06:06:40 PM »

If you want to spin it that way. Put another way, it was all about wanting to play in a system that encouraged team play over hero ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2019, 06:15:43 PM »
Put another way, it was all about wanting to play in a system that encouraged team play over hero ball.
If you want to spin it that way.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #272 on: May 16, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »
If you want to spin it that way.

Given what I've seen from Sam (and Markus and Wojo) over the past three years, I'm confident "touches" is an unfair, over simplified assessment. It's the "company line" and doesn't quite pass the smell test for me.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2019, 06:33:49 PM »
If you want to spin it that way. Put another way, it was all about wanting to play in a system that encouraged team play over hero ball

i'm sure this refers to when herro played in high school because i don't recall him saying he was going to nba so he could get more touches.  also, i'm pretty sure calipari was very clear on herro's role coming in.  something wojo was probably a little "wishy-washy" about and probably played a big part in joey's "misunderstandings"
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
Given what I've seen from Sam (and Markus and Wojo) over the past three years, I'm confident "touches" is an unfair, over simplified assessment. It's the "company line" and doesn't quite pass the smell test for me.

Didn’t like Herro’s style. And that was before Herro was in any college system. Didn’t like Markus’s style.

What’s the smell test telling you? Seems like the consistent stench in both situations was not Markus or Wojo, but the Hausers.

The Hausers were so anxious to “win” that it took all of one loss after a streak of 20 wins in 22 games to write a letter that divided the team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter