[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote  (Read 30014 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Vote
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »
I worded it poorly, but my understanding is that there are some CBD salves that use industrial hemp as the source (no thc), and should be legal in all states.

Yes, there are, as well as chews/gummies.

CBD is excellent from a pain relief perspective. I usually use lotions or gels but I've found some of the edibles not only do the job that I'd usually need a muscle relaxant for, but the THC/CBD gummies really help to relax the mind and body and are great for sleeping issues. My wife takes them for anxiety issues she has at work - her boss suggested it.  Vaping it is good too. I have found my use of pain killers like Advil has dropped significantly after starting CBD products.

The whole marijuana prohibition is one of the biggest jokes of a policy in this country's history.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »
Monarchy, dictatorship, totalitarianism, fascism, anarchy?
I live part time in northern Italy among many fascists, they don't like democracy either. 
Some like the idea of a Nobel class with lots of serfs.  It is a great way of getting magnificent cathedrals.

“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.” - -Churchill
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2018, 03:06:30 PM »

CBD is excellent from a pain relief perspective. I usually use lotions or gels but I've found some of the edibles not only do the job that I'd usually need a muscle relaxant for, but the THC/CBD gummies really help to relax the mind and body and are great for sleeping issues. My wife takes them for anxiety issues she has at work - her boss suggested it.  Vaping it is good too. I have found my use of pain killers like Advil has dropped significantly after starting CBD products.

The whole marijuana prohibition is one of the biggest jokes of a policy in this country's history.

Agreed. Started out of fear of the hemp industry, and then grew.  Now its based on fear mongering, half truths, and uber conservatives who would outlaw alcohol if they could.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2018, 03:12:30 PM »

The fact that it continues to be a schedule 1 drug boggles the mind.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2018, 03:27:23 PM »
The fact that it continues to be a schedule 1 drug boggles the mind.

I think that has to do with the fact that THC is a) not universally accepted for its medicinal properties and b) there's no accepted standard for monitoring its use. 

It would seem both of those would wear off in time.  Inherently, THC does seem more like a Schedule 2, but the AMA is essentially the de facto final arbiter of what is/isn't on Schedule 1, and until they rule on THC, it's likely staying put.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »
I think that has to do with the fact that THC is a) not universally accepted for its medicinal properties and b) there's no accepted standard for monitoring its use. 

It would seem both of those would wear off in time.  Inherently, THC does seem more like a Schedule 2, but the AMA is essentially the de facto final arbiter of what is/isn't on Schedule 1, and until they rule on THC, it's likely staying put.

I get that there is nuance that I'm not familiar with but the fact that pot is a schedule 1 and cocaine and meth are schedule 2 just doesn't pass the sniff test (pun 117% intended)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2018, 03:37:43 PM »
Agreed. Started out of fear of the hemp industry, and then grew.  Now its based on fear mongering, half truths, and uber conservatives who would outlaw alcohol if they could.

Speaking of..........

Inconsolable Jeff Sessions Tries To Commit Suicide By Smoking Joint
https://politics.theonion.com/inconsolable-jeff-sessions-tries-to-commit-suicide-by-s-1826462420

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »

Well since they aren't allowed to do studies on THC it makes that hard.

Also, if pot becomes legal, a lot of the prisons that give a lot of politicians donations will lose a lot of their customers.

But I like to throw handfuls...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2018, 05:38:41 PM »
Plato's vision of a philosopher-king.  (Which will never happen.)

Enlightened despots come along infrequently - if you want the job you're likely not all that enlightened.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2018, 06:03:31 PM »
Enlightened despots come along infrequently - if you want the job you're likely not all that enlightened.

Ahhhh....how philosophical.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2018, 06:18:39 PM »
Speaking of..........

Inconsolable Jeff Sessions Tries To Commit Suicide By Smoking Joint
https://politics.theonion.com/inconsolable-jeff-sessions-tries-to-commit-suicide-by-s-1826462420

Now THAT made me laugh!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »

Advil is not a pain killer, per se

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »

Look into the beginnings of the demonization of marijuana more. Had less to do with the plant/chemicals and more to do with th people using it.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
Dewey, Cheetos & Howe?

Please give attribution to NPR, Car Talk, Clink and Clank.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »
I get that there is nuance that I'm not familiar with but the fact that pot is a schedule 1 and cocaine and meth are schedule 2 just doesn't pass the sniff test (pun 117% intended)

Cocaine actually does have an acceptable medical use as an anesthetic for certain ENT procedures.  Incidentally, it’s manufactured from the cocaine that they remove from the coca leaves for Coca-Cola. 

Speculating, but guessing meth is categorized with amphetamine which does have several medical uses. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2018, 11:21:50 PM »
Cocaine actually does have an acceptable medical use as an anesthetic for certain ENT procedures.  Incidentally, it’s manufactured from the cocaine that they remove from the coca leaves for Coca-Cola. 

Speculating, but guessing meth is categorized with amphetamine which does have several medical uses.

Methylphenidate is Ritalin / Adderall
But I like to throw handfuls...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2018, 11:40:16 PM »

Adderall is amphetamine. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2018, 11:46:05 PM »
I worded it poorly, but my understanding is that there are some CBD salves that use industrial hemp as the source (no thc), and should be legal in all states.

Incidentally, CBD was considered schedule 1 until a little over a month ago.  It is now schedule 5.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
Adderall is amphetamine.

It is one example of amphetamine... IIRC, amphetamines are an entire class of drugs, not just a single formula sold under a bunch of brand names.

https://www.rxlist.com/adderall_vs_ritalin/drugs-condition.htm

Both Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine) and Ritalin (methylphenidate) are central nervous system stimulants used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Methylphenidate (also sold as Concerta) isn't an amphetamine and its effects tend to be milder than those of Adderall. Patients also report a more pronounced effect on cognitive function and thought processes when taking Ritalin as opposed to Adderall, which comes with a number of effects on the body such as increased heart rate and others.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:00:13 AM by Benny B »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2018, 08:48:53 AM »
"A democracy cannot exist as permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury"
Alexander Fraser Tytler

What is the alternative?

Monarchy, dictatorship, totalitarianism, fascism, anarchy?
I live part time in northern Italy among many fascists, they don't like democracy either. 
Some like the idea of a Nobel class with lots of serfs.  It is a great way of getting magnificent cathedrals.

I enjoy the system we live in.  Nothing is perfect.  Churchill said something to the effect.  The quote is famous about the delicate balance that exists, where a Democracy can be destroyed from within.

As for state taxes, I again would suggest to MUWarrior69 that he could move to one of those five states if he has a problem with paying them, but in the end taxes are paid another way to fund roads, sewers, hospitals, all needed for a society to function.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »

Fairly certain the latest farm bill in the Senate will make that federal law as you suggest.  The 2014 Farm Bill expired in the last month, and experts give it an 80% chance of passing in the lame duck session.

https://ministryofhemp.com/blog/2018-farm-bill/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »

Well since they aren't allowed to do studies on THC it makes that hard.

Also, if pot becomes legal, a lot of the prisons that give a lot of politicians donations will lose a lot of their customers.

That's not true... there have been scores, perhaps hundreds, of publicly and privately funded studies on THC overseen by the gov't.  You think they just came up with that plot element in Half Baked on their own?  Of course not.  Hell, the gov't even funded LSD experiments during the cold war.  Any avid watcher of Archer (or fan of Christian Slater in general) knows that.

And I would be willing to bet that the majority of those jailed for petty marijuana offenses are predominantly being held in state and county lockups, not the for-profit supermaxx's (which don't exist in every state, by the way).  Illinois, for one, has an outright ban on privatization of prisons.  I would also be willing to bet that these prison operators have fixed contracts in place such that their profitability doesn't vary materially as the prison population fluctuates.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
It is one example of amphetamine... IIRC, amphetamines are an entire class of drugs, not just a single formula sold under a bunch of brand names.

Both Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine)

Adderall is amphetamine, more specifically it is a mixture of salts of amphetamine to allow time-controlled release.  That is a specific chemical, and what the founding member of the class "amphetamines".  It comes in two flavors, dextro- and levo- (also known as D- and L- or R- and S-), that are non-superimposable mirror images of each other (called enantiomers).

Dextro- is used for ADHD.  Levo- you can buy over the counter in some decongestants.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
Adderall is amphetamine, more specifically it is a mixture of salts of amphetamine to allow time-controlled release.  That is a specific chemical, and what the founding member of the class "amphetamines".  It comes in two flavors, dextro- and levo- (also known as D- and L- or R- and S-), that are non-superimposable mirror images of each other (called enantiomers).

Dextro- is used for ADHD.  Levo- you can buy over the counter in some decongestants.

Don't you mean an asymmetrical reciprocal?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
Re: voting...

It would seem Arizona and Florida are still being decided