collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote  (Read 30334 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Vote
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
Not sure how pointing out Florida's state of constant political chaos is "hating groups of people because of...geography".

Apologies, Brew. I was unaware that you were merely commenting on the chaos regularly seen in Florida at election time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »
You don't think brewski was joking? Or do you really think he was serious about "letting Scott Pruitt institute fracking plans right along the northern Florida border and just let it quake off into the sea"?

I mean, Pruitt isn't even around any more. He had to go after stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from U.S. taxpayers -- not until after his boss spent months and months defending him, of course, but still.

Plus, I'd miss orange juice, tupelo honey and D-Wade. And having the Tampa Bay Bucs to beat up on.

C'mon, Lenny ... aren't you one of the folks who recoils at the PC police and about folks taking themselves too seriously?

Apologized to Brew for misunderstanding, but I still don't think his post was very funny - but I don't get yuks from the "California slides into the ocean" jokes either. Guess I'm officially a grumpy old man.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #202 on: November 12, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »
The Miami Herald is not claiming that this is some conspiracy to rig the election.
Again, in the exceptionally unlikely event that the election is decided by < 20  votes, the Scott campaign has a strong case to seek a re-examination of those 20 ballots. Until such time, those 20 ballots are meaningless.
On the other hand, if excluding those 20 ballots means also excluding as many as 185 valid ballots, you've just stripped 185 people of one of their most important rights. That is meaningful.
Seems like you'd rather disenfranchise 185 voters than deal with the hassle of excluding 20 later. Why?

FWIW, let's be honest here, the Scott campaign is far more worried about those 185 ballots than the 20. The 20  - which ultimately will be tossed out if they make a difference  - is just a convenient excuse to not count the 185.

I did not claim the Herald is saying that. I said the Herald correctly pointed out that at least 20 votes by non-Citizens were being argued by Nelson's attorneys to be kept in.  Snipes already made such argument.  I find that wrong.

What you are arguing is a non-citizen's vote is more important than a citizen's vote.  I fundamentally disagree with you.  All it would take is for a corrupt official to each election mix in illegal votes with other provisional ones, legit or not, and claim what you are claiming.  Looking at Snipes' background, perhaps that is what she did.

You may be right about the 185 votes and Mr. Scott's worries, but I'm old enough to remember when Americans voted in American elections for a reason, because they are Americans and have the right to do so.  For the same reason I am not allowed to go to Canada and vote in Canadian elections, or Germany, etc.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:25 PM »
Not sure how pointing out Florida's state of constant political chaos is "hating groups of people because of...geography".

Florida's state of constant political chaos is due to two things. The first is that, unlike Illinois, California, New York or Texas, we have about an equal amount of Republicans and Democrats. That results in lively debates, lively races and votes that matter, regardless of party!

The second is there are a lot of conflicting interests and issues in our state. People have differing opinions on what to do about them. For example, in last week's election, one of the biggest issues in the state was environmental pollution. Seems as though the fertilizers used in Florida agriculture seep, flow or otherwise enter into Lake Okachobee in the center of the state. When the lake gets too high, the floodgates are opened and the nitrogen/nutrients rich water flow east in the St. Lucie River until they hit the Indian River Lagoon and the Atlantic Ocean, where they combine with sunlight and salt water to induce green slime algae. Florida agriculture wants to keep on fertilizing. Florida tourism thinks not, fearing the algae and the related red tide harm Florida tourism.

Our state is growing like a weed because it's business friendly, has a great climate and has so many constitutional protections against tax increases that every pensioner in America likes the idea of being here. Doesn't matter if you are Democrat or Republican, if you live in the eastern 60 percent of the United States, Florida is a very attractive destination.

Finally, for Brother Pakuni, I make fun of Florida almost as much as I make fun of my other "home" state, Illinois. Remember, we're the state that brought you professional alligator wrestling (had to have something to do after consuming a 12 pack of Busch Light).

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2018, 11:40:20 PM »
Florida's state of constant political chaos is due to two things. The first is that, unlike Illinois, California, New York or Texas, we have about an equal amount of Republicans and Democrats. That results in lively debates, lively races and votes that matter, regardless of party!

The second is there are a lot of conflicting interests and issues in our state. People have differing opinions on what to do about them. For example, in last week's election, one of the biggest issues in the state was environmental pollution. Seems as though the fertilizers used in Florida agriculture seep, flow or otherwise enter into Lake Okachobee in the center of the state. When the lake gets too high, the floodgates are opened and the nitrogen/nutrients rich water flow east in the St. Lucie River until they hit the Indian River Lagoon and the Atlantic Ocean, where they combine with sunlight and salt water to induce green slime algae. Florida agriculture wants to keep on fertilizing. Florida tourism thinks not, fearing the algae and the related red tide harm Florida tourism.

Our state is growing like a weed because it's business friendly, has a great climate and has so many constitutional protections against tax increases that every pensioner in America likes the idea of being here. Doesn't matter if you are Democrat or Republican, if you live in the eastern 60 percent of the United States, Florida is a very attractive destination.

Finally, for Brother Pakuni, I make fun of Florida almost as much as I make fun of my other "home" state, Illinois. Remember, we're the state that brought you professional alligator wrestling (had to have something to do after consuming a 12 pack of Busch Light).

Not "EVERY" Amercan on a pension wants to liver on Florida.  People obsessed with taxes or unhappy with their life move to Florida.   I prefer to live  among a younger better educated demographic.  Quality of life is more important to me than saving a few dollars on my taxes and living with fast food restaurants, home schooling, huricanes, Florida weather, Bermuda grass, alligators, bugs, angry old white guys, and southerners.

Hay, to each his/her own.  Yes, many retirees move south, but a supriseing number then move back or relocate to be with their grandchildren.  On my visits to Florida I find that it is over crowded with too many lonley old people. 

On topic:  one of America's greatest problems and strengths is our diversification.   Japan, China, Italy, Germany, most of the world, does not have to deal with diversification of cultures.  In Italy for example we have the children, parents and grandparents living together.  We/they have one culture, at least one in the north and and another in the south south.

So the problem is not simply nitrogen in the soil, or old folks needing V.A. hospitals, but a clash of too many cultures.   Cuban, Haitians, old northerners, native Floridians, and many retired military all from different cultures with different values, needs, and interests. 

That is a lot for the political parties to deal with, the result is chaos.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:18:31 AM by vogue65 »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2018, 08:04:58 AM »

FWIW, let's be honest here, the Scott campaign is far more worried about those 185 ballots than the 20. The 20  - which ultimately will be tossed out if they make a difference  - is just a convenient excuse to not count the 185.

Let's take it a step further, do you think the 20 ballots help Scott? I would guess zero of the 20 help him, maybe 30% of the 185 do.  He is harmed either way, as are those who have their legal votes nullified by non-citizens.

Separately, Miami Herald updated an article yesterday afternoon. Miami-Dade, which is the largest county in the state, already is halfway through its recount.  Broward, still hasn't started.   ?-(
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
Let's say Gillum and Nelson had leads of less than 0.5%.

I'm sure that Tiny would still be saying election night results should stand, and that DeSantis and Scott would still be saying a recount is unnecessary.

Because they are all about the integrity of the system and not about themselves at all.

Scott's own secretary of state, the one he appointed, says there is zero signs of fraud. But Tiny "knows" there is, which is why he has presented so much evidence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
This is why we can't have nice things.

feedback