[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote  (Read 30339 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Vote
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »
That's not true... there have been scores, perhaps hundreds, of publicly and privately funded studies on THC overseen by the gov't.  You think they just came up with that plot element in Half Baked on their own?  Of course not.  Hell, the gov't even funded LSD experiments during the cold war.  Any avid watcher of Archer (or fan of Christian Slater in general) knows that.

And I would be willing to bet that the majority of those jailed for petty marijuana offenses are predominantly being held in state and county lockups, not the for-profit supermaxx's (which don't exist in every state, by the way).  Illinois, for one, has an outright ban on privatization of prisons.  I would also be willing to bet that these prison operators have fixed contracts in place such that their profitability doesn't vary materially as the prison population fluctuates.

It's not easy to do studies at all. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK425757/

Also, all prisons are big bucks for a lot of people - whether public or private. There is a very real reason a lot of people want to keep lots of people, the vast majority of which are black and brown, locked up for non-violent marijuana (drug) offenses.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:51:07 AM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
Re: voting...

It would seem Arizona and Florida are still being decided

Independent of who wants what results....it is amazing how stupid we are at the actual process of voting. My god Broward County, I'm pretty sure you should know to get the election process right, and yet, epic fail!
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »
Independent of who wants what results....it is amazing how stupid we are at the actual process of voting. My god Broward County, I'm pretty sure you should know to get the election process right, and yet, epic fail!

What's really boggling is that they're still trying to figure out how Pat Buchanan got on the ballot this year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2018, 12:16:15 PM »
What's really boggling is that they're still trying to figure out how Pat Buchanan got on the ballot this year.

LOL!!!  Recycled ballots?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2018, 01:03:12 PM »
LOL!!!  Recycled ballots?

BTW - Everyone should watch the latest episode of South Park.  It's hilarious... I'm super cereal.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »
Ever open a thread on Scoop and wonder how it can go from this:

An hour long wait in my voting precinct.  Viva Democracy!

8 voting stations in a precinct of 10, 000

to this:

Adderall is amphetamine, more specifically it is a mixture of salts of amphetamine to allow time-controlled release.  That is a specific chemical, and what the founding member of the class "amphetamines".  It comes in two flavors, dextro- and levo- (also known as D- and L- or R- and S-), that are non-superimposable mirror images of each other (called enantiomers).

Dextro- is used for ADHD.  Levo- you can buy over the counter in some decongestants.

in just a couple of pages?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2018, 07:42:01 AM »

Broward and Palm Beach counties do it the old fashioned Chicago/Cook County way - they wait for the rest of the state to count their ballots, see how many votes they need and try to "produce" them.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »
Broward and Palm Beach counties do it the old fashioned Chicago/Cook County way - they wait for the rest of the state to count their ballots, see how many votes they need and try to "produce" them.

Could someone legit explain this?  I mean, if there was voter ballot fraud on a mass, historical level like you are suggesting, wouldn't FL's Sec of State (a Republican) or the FL Gov (a Republican) or the FL Atty General (a Republican) investigate these processes (from years' past)? 

Without searching, I would assume investigations have occurred and turned up no mass fake ballot fabricating process and just found what's obvious:  grossly inefficient ballot counting.   Am I wrong?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2018, 08:02:25 AM »
There isn't massive vote fraud.  This is what the right claims whenever the absentee ballots start getting counted.  This is largely a result of making the process more voter friendly.  Hey but any excuse in a storm right?

A party of false bravado, victims and conspiracy theorists. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:35:10 AM by mu_hilltopper »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »
There isn't massive vote fraud.  This is what the right claims whenever the absentee ballots start getting counted.  This is largely a result of making the process more voter friendly.  Hey but any excuse in a storm right?

Look at Arizona.  People are whining about voter fraud because mail ballots are still being counted.  But even the local Republicans don't think anything is amiss.
I think the difference is that Broward county appears to be, and has been for a while, grossly incompetent in executing the job in an efficient manner.  That incompetence allows people to throw out any allegation they want and have the conversation shift to 'either they need to be removed or they are criminals' without any actual proof.

To hilltops point - if it was criminal activity a suit/investigation would have been brought to fruition.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2018, 08:13:01 AM »
I think the difference is that Broward county appears to be, and has been for a while, grossly incompetent in executing the job in an efficient manner.  That incompetence allows people to throw out any allegation they want and have the conversation shift to 'either they need to be removed or they are criminals' without any actual proof.

Of course.  Everything's a conspiracy. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2018, 08:15:42 AM »

To hilltops point - if it was criminal activity a suit/investigation would have been brought to fruition.

Brenda Snipes was found (said she would appeal, don't think she did) to have illegally destroyed ballots in the 2016 election. She is still in charge.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »
Brenda Snipes was found (said she would appeal, don't think she did) to have illegally destroyed ballots in the 2016 election. She is still in charge.

She destroyed ballots 12 months after an election instead of the required 22.  She didn't destroy them during the process, and the destruction didn't alter the outcome of any election.

She's had plenty of other issues.  She's clearly incompetent and should be removed from her job.  That doesn't mean she's fraudulent. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
O, eye sea wear dis iz goin'. Eye'll beet Jeff two da punch. Inn beefour da lock, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2018, 08:41:37 AM »
This is a really good explanation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/9vnwhv/whats_the_deal_with_broward_county_and_the_talks/e9du73w/

Bottom line:  Lots of votes to count, and each one takes time as they verify signatures (which is insanity.)

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
This is a really good explanation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/9vnwhv/whats_the_deal_with_broward_county_and_the_talks/e9du73w/

Bottom line:  Lots of votes to count, and each one takes time as they verify signatures (which is insanity.)

The judge ruled against Palm and Broward counties yesterday.   http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/decision-2018/2018/11/09/recount-all-eyes-on-tight-florida-races

Looks like on the Broward side they accidentally mixed provisional ballots with actual ballots.  The incompetence in that office has been a problem going back many years.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/09/after-trump-scott-cry-fraud-critics-pounce-broward-countys-troubled-election-history/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1db4b4e000b9
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »

Someone on MSNBC made a good point today.  Miami-Dade county got their vote tally done and submitted to the Secretary of State. They are the largest county in Florida, but Palm and Broward didn't.  Those two counties continue to have these issues time and again.  Looks like Scott should have fired her in 2016. This may come back to haunt him. 
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »
Hilarious to hear all this from the state that handed the presidency to Dubya.

But yeah, it is pretty pathetic that in 2018, these counties can't get this right and state leadership (i.e. Scott himself) couldn't have gotten it fixed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »
Hilarious to hear all this from the state that handed the presidency to Dubya.

But yeah, it is pretty pathetic that in 2018, these counties can't get this right and state leadership (i.e. Scott himself) couldn't have gotten it fixed.

The Supreme Court ruled it so, by 7-2 vote if memory serves.

Miami Herald article today with the headline "WHOOPS! Brenda Snipes office mixed bad provisional ballots with good ones" 
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article221452655.html

Even the hurricane ravaged panhandle counties got their votes in.  Now accusations that Broward duplicated ballots in private (no supervision) and originals cannot be replicated.  That's a felony.  This woman needs to be removed.  Same for the crazy GOP nut in Waukesha County that can't run her shop properly.

Final tallies are in.  Close, about 12K margin, will trigger a manual recount. In the history of recounts the greatest flips of votes was 1247 so this is over unless a new record of reversal 10X greater than history.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/recounts-rarely-reverse-election-results/

— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »

Miami Herald article today with the headline "WHOOPS! Brenda Snipes office mixed bad provisional ballots with good ones" 

Even the hurricane ravaged panhandle counties got their votes in.  Now accusations that Broward duplicated ballots in private (no supervision) and originals cannot be replicated.  That's a felony.  This woman needs to be removed.  Same for the crazy GOP nut in Waukesha County that can't run her shop properly.

Final tallies are in.  Close, about 12K margin, will trigger a manual recount. In the history of recounts the greatest flips of votes was 1247 so this is over unless a new record of reversal 10X greater than history.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/recounts-rarely-reverse-election-results/

Your memory sucks Chicos. 5-4.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »

Phew. I thought you were going to forget to point out faults on both sides. Good thing you dropped in that last sentence.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »

Your memory sucks Chicos. 5-4.

Two rulings.  7 to 2.  5 to 4

7 to 2 https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/dec/13/uselections2000.usa1

Video for those that don't like to read.  7 to 2 in the most important ruling.  Let us also not forget that every post analysis done by the media on what Gore wanted showed he would have lost anyway.  Seriously, get over it. We lost.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RjaB3cxH-XE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RjaB3cxH-XE</a>
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:00:27 PM by WarriorDad »
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Phew. I thought you were going to forget to point out faults on both sides. Good thing you dropped in that last sentence.

Where merited I will.  I'm not partisan like others are.  If my side is corrupt, say it. If the other side is corrupt, say it. 

For example, Brenda Snipes got in trouble back in May of this year when another Democrat sued her in the election against Debbie Wasserman Schulz.  That was Democrat vs Democrat election. Snipes is bad news.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-sb-broward-elections-supervisor-broke-law-snipes-canova-20180514-story.html

Last night she and attorneys argued to keep votes in from non US citizens as official.  PDFs of transcripts were released in the last few hours. I'm sorry, but call me old school, that cannot be allowed to happen.  These are US elections, US citizens are the ones that need to be voting in them.

— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
      " Looks like Scott should have fired her in 2016"

you do realize that if scott were to even think about this, he would be a racist of course, have to enter into the federal witness protection plan...and miss the packer-dolphin game ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »
Two rulings.  7 to 2.  5 to 4

7 to 2 https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/dec/13/uselections2000.usa1

You’re a poor historian Cheekz. The 5-4 decision is the one that mattered because rather than provide a remedy to do a proper recount, the Court ended the whole thing altogether. It was overtly political and is commonly understood to be one of the worst-reasoned decisions in SCOTUS history (so much so that even SCOTUS itself limited the application of law to only that particular order, i.e. no stare decisis, which is unusual and betrayed an extraordinary lack of confidence in the soundness of its own decision). It was not a high-water mark for my Republican Party. Shameful, really.