[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 90101 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #450 on: January 05, 2021, 09:25:06 AM »
What are people using to watch Fox Sports Regional Channels?

I would think most user who have (YTTV, HULU Live, Sling, FUBO & Dish) will just not be watching. I'm not going back to Spectrum. My Spectrum bill was $200 per month.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #451 on: January 05, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
I would think most user who have (YTTV, HULU Live, Sling, FUBO & Dish) will just not be watching. I'm not going back to Spectrum. My Spectrum bill was $200 per month.

People are watching, just not legally.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #452 on: January 05, 2021, 09:59:32 AM »
My buddy's login at this point. It's been fine for the most part, despite FS Go being about 90 seconds behind live action.

Spectrum quoted me a first year rate of $30/mo more, no real deals available since I don't use them for internet. I'm going back and forth on ATT TV... with discounts it would be the same as YTTV for the first year, but it's a 2 year contract, and I'm not sure I want that.

Looking at AT&T Now, fine print has $8.49 Regional Sports Fee. Is this in addition to package price? I would have to get ay least the Extra Package at minimum, or higher to get the channels that people want. AT&T Now appears to get at least 4 channels not carried by YTTV. And for one of those two years HBO Max is included which is $15 elsewhere.

How does the sports regional fee work?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #453 on: January 05, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »
People are watching, just not legally.

r/ncaabballstreams

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #454 on: January 05, 2021, 10:28:36 AM »
Looking at AT&T Now, fine print has $8.49 Regional Sports Fee. Is this in addition to package price? I would have to get ay least the Extra Package at minimum, or higher to get the channels that people want. AT&T Now appears to get at least 4 channels not carried by YTTV. And for one of those two years HBO Max is included which is $15 elsewhere.

How does the sports regional fee work?

I'm honestly not sure... I looked at the ATT TV package (the one with the actual box) and it had it as a line item, but not an extra cost. I think it depends on the area.

Jump from year 1 to year 2 was substantial, though. $50/mo more for the package I was looking at. Don't think I'll be going that route.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #455 on: January 06, 2021, 01:41:14 PM »

Unfortunately the ESPN App, while good, does not allow recording games. However, you can watch  previously aired games on demand on the ESPN app. So no need to record if you do that.

ACC Network Extra can be watched in ESPN App at no extra charge, with any tv provider subscription.

You can record anything on ACC Network with YouTube TV. They just don't carry ACC Network Extra. If you only need ACC Network Channel, this is a good option. Same for Hulu.

Hulu Live carries ACC Network. Hulu Live is similar to YouTube TV. Fubo TV also has ACC Network. None of these will have the extra "ACC Network Extra" games on their platforms. But you can get these games via the ESPN App. with any of these providers as the login.

Sling has packages that get ACC Network Extra (as well as ACC Network) But note, if you need Fox Sports Regionals, Sling is not likely to ever carry them again. Just an Fyi. Sling is owned by Dish Network. They have a variety of packages to choose from. That may be your recording option of ACC Network Extra games, on Sling.
So do I need a TV subscription or Sling with the ESPN App to get ACC Network Extra?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #456 on: January 06, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
So do I need a TV subscription or Sling with the ESPN App to get ACC Network Extra?

Yes.

The ESPN app is an add on service for people who already get/subscribe to ESPN with their TV carrier/streaming service, as opposed to a stand alone service.

So maybe try to get the least expensive tv/stream subscription to gain "Extra" access.

Now, when in ESPN app, some games will be included and some are considered "Plus" games. I have the ESPN+ $6 a month add on so I get any game in the ESPN app whether or not it's a Plus game. Some are some aren't.

Let's use your ACC example. I too watch a lot of ACC (SEC, Pac12, etc..in a wide variety of sports).

ACC. You will get many ACC games in many sports, men and women. And you don't have to leave the app to watch ACC Network or ESPN etc...

I can watch one of my schools play their entire baseball schedule, entire soccer schedule, etc...and so on, not to mention some pro sports...etc...

You also can watch games on demand that you may have missed.

But the ESPN app and ESPN+ are not designed to show live sports without some sort of general tv or streaming subscription that includes ESPN.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 02:39:29 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #457 on: January 06, 2021, 02:40:51 PM »
Yes.

The ESPN app is an add on service for people who already get/subscribe to ESPN with their TV carrier/streaming service, as opposed to a stand alone service.

So maybe try to get the least expensive tv/stream subscription to gain "Extra" access.

Now, when in ESPN app, some games will be included and some are considered "Plus" games. I have the ESPN+ $6 a month add on so I get any game in the ESPN app whether or not it's a Plus game. Some are some aren't.

Let's use your ACC example. I too watch a lot of ACC (SEC, Pac12, etc..in a wide variety of sports).

ACC. You will get many ACC games in many sports, men and women. And you don't have to leave the app to watch ACC Network or ESPN etc...

I can watch one of my schools play their entire baseball schedule, entire soccer schedule, etc...and so on, not to mention some pro sports...etc...

But the ESPN app and ESPN+ are not designed to show live sports without some sort of general tv or streaming subscription that includes ESPN.

The disney/hulu/espn bundle is a good deal.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #458 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:52 PM »
Yes.

Thanks for the clarification . I definitely need the ACC Network Extra access to watch all the games . 
The disney/hulu/espn bundle is a good deal.
Thanks I will look into this.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #459 on: January 10, 2021, 01:16:26 PM »
Does anyone stream AT&T Now. If so, I have a few questions, thanks.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2021, 07:30:14 AM »
Does anyone stream AT&T Now. If so, I have a few questions, thanks.

Yes. Have had it 3+ years since the DirecTV Now days.
But I like to throw handfuls...

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2021, 09:38:28 AM »
Yes. Have had it 3+ years since the DirecTV Now days.

Thoughts?

Doing a trial.

So far, it's not bad. I prefer the YTTV user experience, graphics, layout. Connection seems to be a little better with AT&T Now, which os good but both fine.

I am doing it for the Sinclair channels until Sinclair goes direct to consumer later this year. There seem to be about a half dozen channels or so that YTTV has that I don't see AT&T Now getting. Not ideal but good enough.

Are you doing the $80 w/HBO etc...and if so, is the HBO indefinite or limited time included? $80 npt including that would be a bit more expensive without those other missing channels. How often have their been price increases.

YTTV is $65 w/o that. That was a lot of negative feedback when it went from $50 to $65.

I do like unlimited recording with YTTV. With recording say a tv show, does each episode of one show count against the 500 hours?  I would have to to delete more often.

How is customer service? Can you call and get a live person? YTTV began with very good customer service but it has declined dramatically.

Thx.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:40 AM »
I have an old grandfathered in plan (Go Big Plan) that is no longer available so I get every channel I would want in Chicago except for the NFL Network & RedZone. Also don't get Pac-12. But gull suite of CBS/Viacom (CBS, MTV, Nick, etc), Discovery Family (Food, Cooking, etc), ABC/Disney/ESPN, Fox Family (FS1, FS2, FX, etc). I essentially get everything but Starz. I get HBO through my cell subscription.

I pay $60/mo since I get a $25 discount off my plan each month since I have an ATT Cell Plan through work. This was an offer they made when DirecTV Now first launched and is the main reason I don't switch since the price is so good. User interface takes time to get used to but it works fine. Stream quality is nice but I think that's because they have a bit more lag I find which is why I have a good HD antenna for when I want to be in real time on free TV sporting events.

I have never had an issue with my service so I don't know about calling customer service. I have ATT Fiber internet so streaming has never been an issue. I think I have had like 1 or 2 brief outages but nothing big. I find Google customer service to be abhorrent. I say this as someone who is deep into their ecosystem too.

We only have 20 hours of DVR which is fine for my wife and I. With our other streaming subscriptions we have it's never an issue. Also, I can't stand full DVR's. It's a personal issue.

I will say if ATT were to get rid of my discount I would probably look hard at Fubo. I have some friends who have it and really dig it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #463 on: January 12, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
I have an old grandfathered in plan (Go Big Plan) that is no longer available so I get every channel I would want in Chicago except for the NFL Network & RedZone. Also don't get Pac-12. But gull suite of CBS/Viacom (CBS, MTV, Nick, etc), Discovery Family (Food, Cooking, etc), ABC/Disney/ESPN, Fox Family (FS1, FS2, FX, etc). I essentially get everything but Starz. I get HBO through my cell subscription.

If they still offered that plan, that would be the route I'd go. But I would miss Food Network and a couple of those Discovery channels.

Has anyone here used the newer ATT TV with the box? That one had all the channels I'd need plus free League Pass. But the $50 price hike after year one is a little tough to take.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2021, 10:51:04 AM »

I pay $60/mo since I get a $25 discount off my plan each month since I have an ATT Cell Plan through work. This was an offer they made when DirecTV Now first launched and is the main reason I don't switch since the price is so good. User interface takes time to get used to but it works fine. Stream quality is nice but I think that's because they have a bit more lag I find which is why I have a good HD antenna for when I want to be in real time on free TV sporting events.

I have never had an issue with my service so I don't know about calling customer service. I have ATT Fiber internet so streaming has never been an issue. I think I have had like 1 or 2 brief outages but nothing big. I find Google customer service to be abhorrent. I say this as someone who is deep into their ecosystem too.

We only have 20 hours of DVR which is fine for my wife and I. With our other streaming subscriptions we have it's never an issue. Also, I can't stand full DVR's. It's a personal issue.

I will say if ATT were to get rid of my discount I would probably look hard at Fubo. I have some friends who have it and really dig it.

Ok thanks.

I still delete some things in YTTV DVR once in a while to clean it up. But unlimited helps in various ways. Let's say someone misses a 4 hour sporting event, they can watch it when they can. Let's say someone likes a television show like Law & Order. It has 20 seasons, and all of them are there to choose from.

I don't like that if you record a movie on YTTV on a premium channel, amd later drop that channel, YTTV locks the movie until you subscribe to that channel again. In the past with Satellite, if I recorded pay per view, premium channel anything, it was there forever. Also when recording something in progress it only records partially until that show or movie or event re-airs.

It would appear there are only two options with AT&T Now. I believe they are the only ones left that stream Sinclair channels. (No Fubo). Sinclair owns most (not all) local market NBA, NHL, MLB teams games, as well as Tennis Channel. That's big. It is the single driving force for the trial and possible switch. (Declining customer service is a distant 2nd)

I am not interested in returning to cable/satellite.

For us its miss your favorite sports teams games or switch at this point. It would appear Sinclair isn't going to make any deals with carriers. They are adding on screen gambling during games to make $ until their new direct to consumer app comes out later this year.

I'm not even sure how long the HBO is included. It may be a limited time. i have to check.

AT&T Now seems fine. I don't bundle with them or use them for anything else. So it would appear its $80 to get the sports channels mentioned. And these are almost daily games etc...to either have or not.

I  hoping Sinclair's new app comes out sooner than later, and that it is a reasonable price.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #465 on: January 12, 2021, 10:54:05 AM »
Regarding AT&T, news today that they have folded AT&T TV Now into AT&T TV and have stopped taking new customers for the AT&T TV Now streaming service.

Existing customers can remain but if you leave for a different provider, you cannot come back. And if you change from the "Go Big" plan, you will not get it back as it has been discontinued except for current subscribers.

Never dull in the AT&T TV world.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
Regarding AT&T, news today that they have folded AT&T TV Now into AT&T TV and have stopped taking new customers for the AT&T TV Now streaming service.

Existing customers can remain but if you leave for a different provider, you cannot come back. And if you change from the "Go Big" plan, you will not get it back as it has been discontinued except for current subscribers.

Never dull in the AT&T TV world.

When I started the trial I couldn't find AT&T Now app because it does not exist. It is AT&T TV app only.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »
If they still offered that plan, that would be the route I'd go. But I would miss Food Network and a couple of those Discovery channels.

Has anyone here used the newer ATT TV with the box? That one had all the channels I'd need plus free League Pass. But the $50 price hike after year one is a little tough to take.

You have to get Discovery+ for $5 per month.

Discovery networks are pulling a bait and switch.  Over the holidays my family started watching a few new shows on Travel & Discovery and this week they've been advertising "that to continue watching this show you must purchase the App as they will only be available there."

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #468 on: January 27, 2021, 07:41:22 AM »
Hello Bally Sports Regionals, goodbye Fox Sports Regionals:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2021/01/27/Ballys-RSNs.aspx

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #469 on: January 27, 2021, 08:17:36 AM »
You have to get Discovery+ for $5 per month.

Discovery networks are pulling a bait and switch.  Over the holidays my family started watching a few new shows on Travel & Discovery and this week they've been advertising "that to continue watching this show you must purchase the App as they will only be available there."

I recently did an AT&T TV trial. I was taken aback at how at how many less channels they had vs YTTV, roughly 15-20 channels. The various Discovery owned channels were among them.

AT&T TV gets Fox/Ballys Sports Regionals and Tennis Channel, both owned by Sinclair. YTTV dropped them this past year. AT&T TV gets one of the Hallmark channels. YTTV doesn't get any of those. And, AT&T TV gets HBO.

The hope was that Sinclair would complete some distribution deals for NHL/NBA seasons. But that hasn't happened. It appears they are simply waiting to release their own stand alone app some time in 2021.

While AT&T is fine, I prefer to have YTTV, and to add a (hopefully) reasonable priced Sinclair app. I am skeptical because the Tennis Channel Plus app owned by Sinclair is not ideal.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #470 on: January 27, 2021, 09:07:37 AM »
Hello Bally Sports Regionals, goodbye Fox Sports Regionals:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2021/01/27/Ballys-RSNs.aspx

I saw that it was a donedeal in the naming today. Didn't know where to put it, as it's not a cord cutting item. Most thought this would happen before the start of the MLB season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #471 on: January 27, 2021, 09:26:32 AM »
I saw that it was a donedeal in the naming today. Didn't know where to put it, as it's not a cord cutting item. Most thought this would happen before the start of the MLB season.

AT&T TV, DirecTV, and some cable outlets, are the only places carrying Sinclair channels.

Everyone else will have to wait to get their new, yet to be released, direct to consumer, app. If they want to watch much of NHL/NBA/MLB. It's big for cord cutters because only one streaming service offers Sinclair channels at this time.

This gives them some additional revenue.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:30:22 AM by shoothoops »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #472 on: January 27, 2021, 09:34:35 AM »
AT&T TV, DirecTV, and some cable outlets, are the only places carrying Sinclair channels.

Everyone else will have to wait to get their new, yet to be released, direct to consumer, app. If they want to watch much of NHL/NBA/MLB. It's big for cord cutters because only one streaming service offers Sinclair channels at this time.

This gives them some additional revenue.

Spectrum Cable is a big company that still has it.

That direct to consumer, app I hear won't be until the end of the year. So, as of now does no good if one is a MLB fan. Who even knows what the cost will be!?!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:20:32 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #473 on: January 27, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »
Spectrum Cable is a big company that still has it.

That direct to consumer, app I hear won't be until the end of the year. So, as of now does no go if one is a MLB fan. Who even knows what the cost will be!?!

More than half of NHL and NBA teams show their games on FS Regional Channels. People don't need to wait for MLB to miss games. That's already started.

Many people out there have Dish, YTTV, Hulu, Fubo, etc...other, and so on...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #474 on: January 27, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »
No way will I ever give Sinclair any of my money.

feedback