Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 91924 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »
So, assuming games are on FSW this year.......what service is carrying this channel? I apologize but seems everyone is dropping Sinclair. Thank you
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:09:58 AM by We R Final Four »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2020, 09:09:05 AM »
So, assuming games are on FSW this year.......is my only/best option HULU Live?

Nope. They dropped em too. Cable/DTV/ATTnow are the remaining options.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2020, 09:42:02 AM »
So, assuming games are on FSW this year.......what service is carrying this channel? I apologize but seems everyone is dropping Sinclair. Thank you

AT&T Now is carrrying FS Regionals in its $80 plan. Some Cable is carrying them but not others.

Others including whom you mentioned are not likely to renew deals until at least January or February at the earliest.

Sinclair overpaid for the 21 Channels, $9.6 Billion, and their value is now half of that. Revenue is recently down 30% plus. Sinclair, as many know has a far right wing political slant, and their political ad revenue did well, similar gains to their sports losses.

YouTube TV and Hulu Live make up roughly 10% of Sinclair's revenue for those.

So, we'll see in January etc...what is going on at that time.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 04:14:01 PM by shoothoops »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #404 on: November 07, 2020, 10:41:08 AM »
Thank you

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #405 on: November 07, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »
Thank you

Sure. 👍 One key to look for is when will NHL and NBA start up again. NHL had previously wanted to do it Jan 1. Shortly before and after those restarts will be when they are likely to make deals.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #406 on: November 16, 2020, 05:00:25 PM »
Not me. I'm saving $65 per month and get all the sports networks (I need) with YTTV. I would miss the Brewers, yet April is long ways away.
We recently moved. Had Verizon Fios. Now we have access to Comcast and ATT.

The channels that we need are ACC Network and ESPNU. Is there a way  to get those through cord cutting? Wife also wants HGTV
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:02:28 PM by Trump Loves The Big East »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #407 on: November 16, 2020, 05:09:02 PM »
The channels that we need are ACC Network and ESPNU. Is there a wife to get those through cord cutting?

Woof.  That's a tricky one, tell her YouTube TV has HGTV and you'll also get ACC Network and ESPNU.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #408 on: November 16, 2020, 06:40:59 PM »
We recently moved. Had Verizon Fios. Now we have access to Comcast and ATT.

The channels that we need are ACC Network and ESPNU. Is there a wife to get those through cord cutting?

$5 month ESPN+ app will get you both channels plus many ACC Extra games for a wide variety of ACC sports, as well as many other games from various leagues college and pro. That would easily be the best price/deal.

The only negative would be not being able to record the games to ff, rw etc...which is something I do frequently. (I am a frequent ACC Network viewer, as well as some others). It's also a little slower to jump out of the app to switch channels back and forth.

Other providers have both channels, such as YouTube TV, which I also have. And YTTV has unlimited recording, ff, rw etc....but it's $65 a month with the recent price increase.

ACC Network, similar to SEC Network, has pretty good distribution.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #409 on: November 16, 2020, 09:02:52 PM »
Woof.  That's a tricky one, tell her YouTube TV has HGTV and you'll also get ACC Network and ESPNU.
Correction made

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #410 on: November 16, 2020, 09:07:01 PM »
$5 month ESPN+ app will get you both channels plus many ACC Extra games for a wide variety of ACC sports, as well as many other games from various leagues college and pro. That would easily be the best price/deal.

The only negative would be not being able to record the games to ff, rw etc...which is something I do frequently. (I am a frequent ACC Network viewer, as well as some others). It's also a little slower to jump out of the app to switch channels back and forth.

Other providers have both channels, such as YouTube TV, which I also have. And YTTV has unlimited recording, ff, rw etc....but it's $65 a month with the recent price increase.

ACC Network, similar to SEC Network, has pretty good distribution.
I definitely need to record games and also be able to save them on a storage media.

I also need ACC Network Extra does that come with YTTV?

Also does Hulu carry these networks?

I may have to be Away from home from an extended period of time so that is why I am looking into these options.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #411 on: November 16, 2020, 09:25:59 PM »
I definitely need to record games and also be able to save them on a storage media.

I also need ACC Network Extra does that come with YTTV?

Also does Hulu carry these networks?

I may have to be Away from home from an extended period of time so that is why I am looking into these options.

Unfortunately the ESPN App, while good, does not allow recording games. However, you can watch  previously aired games on demand on the ESPN app. So no need to record if you do that.

ACC Network Extra can be watched in ESPN App at no extra charge, with any tv provider subscription.

You can record anything on ACC Network with YouTube TV. They just don't carry ACC Network Extra. If you only need ACC Network Channel, this is a good option. Same for Hulu.

Hulu Live carries ACC Network. Hulu Live is similar to YouTube TV. Fubo TV also has ACC Network. None of these will have the extra "ACC Network Extra" games on their platforms. But you can get these games via the ESPN App. with any of these providers as the login.

Sling has packages that get ACC Network Extra (as well as ACC Network) But note, if you need Fox Sports Regionals, Sling is not likely to ever carry them again. Just an Fyi. Sling is owned by Dish Network. They have a variety of packages to choose from. That may be your recording option of ACC Network Extra games, on Sling.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:00:41 PM by shoothoops »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #412 on: November 17, 2020, 07:46:30 AM »
Hulu is notifying Hulu with Live customers that the price of the live TV streaming service will increase to $64.99/month beginning December 18. That’s a $10 per month increase.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #413 on: November 17, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
Hulu is notifying Hulu with Live customers that the price of the live TV streaming service will increase to $64.99/month beginning December 18. That’s a $10 per month increase.

Yep. We got this. We are paying $65 for internet and streaming Hulu (as well as Netflix and Prime Video). Almost makes me want to go back to cable at this point.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #414 on: November 17, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »

Unfortunately the ESPN App, while good, does not allow recording games. However, you can watch  previously aired games on demand on the ESPN app. So no need to record if you do that.

ACC Network Extra can be watched in ESPN App at no extra charge, with any tv provider subscription.

You can record anything on ACC Network with YouTube TV. They just don't carry ACC Network Extra. If you only need ACC Network Channel, this is a good option. Same for Hulu.

Hulu Live carries ACC Network. Hulu Live is similar to YouTube TV. Fubo TV also has ACC Network. None of these will have the extra "ACC Network Extra" games on their platforms. But you can get these games via the ESPN App. with any of these providers as the login.

Sling has packages that get ACC Network Extra (as well as ACC Network) But note, if you need Fox Sports Regionals, Sling is not likely to ever carry them again. Just an Fyi. Sling is owned by Dish Network. They have a variety of packages to choose from. That may be your recording option of ACC Network Extra games, on Sling.
Thanks for this . I need ACC Network, ACC Network Extra , ESPNU and ability to record/playback.  So it seems like not much difference between the cord cutters and Cable when all said and done.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #415 on: November 17, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »
Thanks for this . I need ACC Network, ACC Network Extra , ESPNU and ability to record/playback.  So it seems like not much difference between the cord cutters and Cable when all said and done.

Sure.

You could spend just $5 a month for ESPN+ subscription, and save a lot of money monthly by watching completed games later on demand vs recording them. This would allow you to add less expensive tv/movie subscriptions as needed. By doing this combo, you would avoid the $65 a month and up costs.

Me, for example, I have YouTube TV, ($65) ESPN+, ($5), Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. But I combine those costs over multiple locations, multiple family members. Therefore the monthly savings is still considerable. And I can (and do) drop things from time to time.

It's much easier to add drop service monthly with cord cutting unlike satellite and cable. And you can always add an app subscription for a month, watch the shows or movies you want and drop it. I did this with Apple TV. I was only interested in one show. I signed up for a free trial and wound up paying nothing and dropping it.

I don't foresee myself going back to cable/satellite any time soon. (And I had Dish, DirecTV, and Cable.) I will monitor things as they change. I am also much more content with my tv packages as opposed to more frequent frustrations with satellite and cable.

Good luck.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #416 on: November 19, 2020, 09:26:29 AM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #417 on: November 19, 2020, 11:11:13 AM »
Regarding MUBB exclusively.....

I’m thinking $30 Sling Blue (FS1) with the $10 Sports package (FS2 and Pac 12).

Anyone disagree?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #418 on: November 19, 2020, 12:23:47 PM »
Regarding MUBB exclusively.....

I’m thinking $30 Sling Blue (FS1) with the $10 Sports package (FS2 and Pac 12).

Anyone disagree?

CBSSN shows Big East games. Two MU games will land on that network in Jan/Feb. Yet, Sling is an excellent way to go!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #419 on: November 19, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
Ok—good to know.
I think I’ll do Sling + sports for 2 months....then switch to YTTB when MU games on CBSSN are known.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #420 on: November 24, 2020, 11:20:09 AM »
Sinclair CEO Chris RIpley, said in an interview, that FS Regionals will be available as an independent direct to consumer subscription stream, some time later in 2021. (This is in addition to cable/satellite/streaming tv packages.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:38:22 AM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #422 on: December 01, 2020, 08:11:25 AM »
Sinclair CEO Chris RIpley, said in an interview, that FS Regionals will be available as an independent direct to consumer subscription stream, some time later in 2021. (This is in addition to cable/satellite/streaming tv packages.)

This is a local market FS regionals piece, but, it applies to any FS Regional market with regards to Sinclair and FS Regionals in 2021:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/media-views-fsm-to-move-very-quickly-with-its-sports-betting-plan/article_2bdc9405-8d68-5baf-87e1-9feb69d9bf34.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #423 on: December 01, 2020, 09:07:49 AM »

Me, for example, I have YouTube TV, ($65) ESPN+, ($5), Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. But I combine those costs over multiple locations, multiple family members. Therefore the monthly savings is still considerable. And I can (and do) drop things from time to time.

This is a great (and probably underused) option.

I was going to drop YouTubeTV, but then I realized I wasn't taking full advantage of the family sharing option. Both of my daughters were paying separately for their own services, so they dropped them and I added them as separate family members. Now my $65 covers three separate households, and they can arrange the channel lineup however they want, do their own separate recording and favoriting of shows. All for an average of ~$22 per household.

Of course my bill didn't personally go down, but it's a win when I can help them save a little money.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #424 on: December 01, 2020, 09:39:59 AM »
Is that really legit?  This is all I found on the YouTubeTV site.  Seems everyone must be in the same household and then up to 3 streams are permitted.

-----------------------------

Can I share my membership?

Yes, your YouTube TV membership comes with 6 accounts to share with roommates or family members in your household. (Ages 13 and up.) Everyone gets their own login, personalized content recommendations, and individual DVR library. Up to 3 simultaneous streams are allowed per membership.