collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 92693 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #475 on: January 27, 2021, 12:39:45 PM »
More than half of NHL and NBA teams show their games on FS Regional Channels. People don't need to wait for MLB to miss games. That's already started.

Many people out there have Dish, YTTV, Hulu, Fubo, etc...other, and so on...

While that is all true, the demand for MLB on the RSN's are much stronger than NBA/NHL.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #476 on: January 27, 2021, 01:00:49 PM »
While that is all true, the demand for MLB on the RSN's are much stronger than NBA/NHL.

What I said was that it also does no good to be an NHL/NBA fan either. One doesn't have to wait for MLB to notice the missing games.

While it's true that MLB does higher local regional sports channel ratings, (no one said they didn't), the missed games thus far have been noticed by a significant number of people.  That matters. Some NBA teams for example, would be close to the top 10 MLB teams with regards to local regional sports channel ratings. That's pretty significant, which is the point, that one doesn't need to wait for MLB season to notice. Many NBA and NHL fans have already noticed for a while.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #477 on: January 27, 2021, 07:34:40 PM »
Sling TV has increased the price of both its Sling Orange and Sling Blue packages by $5, bringing the price of each to $35/month. The combination of Sling Orange and Sling Blue will cost new customers $50/month, up from $45/month. 

With the price increase, Sling TV is upping the amount of Cloud DVR storage with each plan. Previously, subscribers had 10 hours of DVR storage included. Now, plans come with 50 hours of DVR storage with the option to upgrade to 200 hours.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #478 on: February 18, 2021, 07:49:47 PM »
YouTube TV announced another add-on today.

The Entertainment Plus bundle includes HBO Max, Showtime, and Starz for $29.99/month on top of your YouTube TV monthly subscription.
-Bill Walton

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #479 on: February 19, 2021, 12:12:16 PM »
Does anyone know if there has been any momentum towards YTTV adding Fox Regional/Bally's stations back to their package? I thought I saw something the other day about the Brewers being back on YTTV, but I can't find that anywhere now.

Apologies if this has already been discussed - I didn't see it addressed directly in the last 2 pages of this thread.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #480 on: February 19, 2021, 12:38:14 PM »
Does anyone know if there has been any momentum towards YTTV adding Fox Regional/Bally's stations back to their package? I thought I saw something the other day about the Brewers being back on YTTV, but I can't find that anywhere now.

Apologies if this has already been discussed - I didn't see it addressed directly in the last 2 pages of this thread.

The recent agreement is between the Brewers and Sinclair to continue airing Brewers game on the Fox Sports Regional (Wisconsin) which is being rebranded to Bally's Sports Wisconsin.

Later this year, Sinclair will release its own direct to consumer app/stream, but, it is not expected until later in the year.

If you stream the only place to get it is AT&T TV. ($80-$85 package)

Otherwise, DirecTV owned by AT&T, and, some cable outlets have it.

I would not be surprised if there were no new deals until Sinclair releases their own product.

For reference, Sinclair owns Tennis Channel. And their Tennis Channel Plus streaming service is 12 months for $110. No month to month.

I would have to imagine Sinclair would go month to month with the new one. I do not have my hopes up that Sinclair will get it correct on their first try. We will see.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:42:05 PM by shoothoops »

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #481 on: February 19, 2021, 12:51:01 PM »
Thanks for the info.

So if Sinclair plans to start their own streaming service, is it safe to assume that the sinclair sports stations won't be put back on YTTV anytime soon?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #482 on: February 19, 2021, 01:10:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.

So if Sinclair plans to start their own streaming service, is it safe to assume that the sinclair sports stations won't be put back on YTTV anytime soon?

In my opinion (worth 2 cents) I don't believe Sinclair will reach any new agreements with anyone. They have a previous agreement with AT&T and some cable.

Sinclair will use the new gambling revenue to offset some of the subscriber loss, until they get their own app up and running.

A majority of NBA and NHL teams play their local market games on Sinclair owned Channels. Those two sports seasons are in full swing, and, no deals.

You could theorize that perhaps Sinclair could make a deal with some places for MLB season. In my opinion, it would be similar to Lucy, Charlie Brown, and a football.

AT&T TV is not bad. It costs more with far less channels than YTTV. User experience is not as good, less recording space etc...but it is good enough, and, at least in my trials, the internet connection has been better.

1) You stay put. And, you may or may not miss all of NBA, NHL, MLB local market seasons.

2) You switch to a current provider until Sinclair releases its new stand alone app. Again, this is not expected until later in the year.

Even though streaming is popular and on the rise in big percentages, many local markets are still for now Satellite and Cable driven.

I would do a free trial of AT&T TV for 7 days while still keeping YTTV. Watch most things on AT&T TV during the trial.

Are you willing to pay $15-20 more per month, lose some channels that you may or may not care about, to get what you want.

Long term, my preference is YTTV and a new Sinclair add on app. Short term you can go with AT&T TV, which is month to month and easy add drop as is YTTV. It may be a stop gap fix for you before going back to YTTV.

I have ESPN+ and I appreciate the low cost, quantity of live games of sports and teams I enjoy, as an add on channel. (It is not a stand alone channel as you must have an ESPN subscription) If the new thing is similar, that would be helpful and an easy add for me. I do not have any confidence in Sinclair. None.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 01:14:22 PM by shoothoops »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #483 on: February 19, 2021, 01:31:25 PM »
I believe you can have ESPN+ without an ESPN subscription. You would only get items on ESPN+ only. Not even ESPN3.
-Bill Walton

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #484 on: February 19, 2021, 02:27:54 PM »
Man, what a frustrating way to try to watch sports. I can't imagine MLB (or NBA, NHL) are thrilled that this is how their product is being distributed. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the long run, and if the sports leagues do more to distribute their games themselves somehow.

Side thought... I wonder if radio stations that broadcast MLB games will see a windfall in ad revenue due to more people listening to games on the radio.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #485 on: February 19, 2021, 02:32:45 PM »
Man, what a frustrating way to try to watch sports. I can't imagine MLB (or NBA, NHL) are thrilled that this is how their product is being distributed. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the long run, and if the sports leagues do more to distribute their games themselves somehow.

Side thought... I wonder if radio stations that broadcast MLB games will see a windfall in ad revenue due to more people listening to games on the radio.

I don't think people will go back to radio.  I think people will skip it entirely.  We have seen that this year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #486 on: February 19, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
I believe you can have ESPN+ without an ESPN subscription. You would only get items on ESPN+ only. Not even ESPN3.

To clarify, what I meant was, if you subscribe to ESPN+, is does not include the television ESPN channels. If you already have a subscription to regular ESPN Channels those channels are viewable on the ESPN app which includes ESPN+.

A recent trend for ESPN is to move more writing and talk content to ESPN+. I don't watch or listen to sports talk but I may read a Wright Thompson etc on the app.

(I watch a lot of Men's and Women's College Soccer, Baseball, Softball, basketball, football, etc...on ESPN+, lots of games.) It also allows for specific Grand Slam tennis viewing, matchups, courts etc...I get a lot of value out of ESPN+, professional soccer, etc...other.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 02:45:49 PM by shoothoops »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #487 on: February 19, 2021, 02:47:03 PM »

I don't think people will go back to radio.  I think people will skip it entirely.  We have seen that this year.

I quit listening years ago despite being a huge baseball fan. On his talk show on WTMJ, Michael Savage called for all gays to be executed. I emailed the station and received a boilerplate response. I never listened again.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #488 on: February 19, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »

You're probably right. In which case sports teams/leagues are in for a world of hurt in the next round of TV negotiations.

I do wonder if this is different though. Many people made the choice not to tune in to sports during the pandemic. But in this case the ability to watch MLB (or NBA, NHL) is being taken away from people who want to watch the games. So, unless these people switch TV providers, they will have to settle for radio (or illegal streams).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #489 on: February 19, 2021, 03:12:28 PM »
I'm using a friends login for FS Go to watch the Bucks. It's not the best, but not bad enough to get me to pay $20+ more per month with ATT.

Seeing that Fubo is going to be adding a $5 RSN fee, I wonder if that's the way forward.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #490 on: February 19, 2021, 04:24:25 PM »

MLB should be fine.  They've had mlb.tv access to all "out of market" games for years (easy to defeat the "out of market" part). And for $130 for all teams for the whole season - best value in sports streaming!
https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #491 on: February 27, 2021, 08:42:07 PM »
Sinclair will NOT have a direct to consumer app for Fox Sports Regionals, Tennis Channel etc...in 2021. It will be 2022 at the earliest.

Source is Chris Ripley, Sinclair President and CEO.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #492 on: February 27, 2021, 08:51:43 PM »

MLB TV is already a thing.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #493 on: February 28, 2021, 08:52:02 AM »
The recent agreement is between the Brewers and Sinclair to continue airing Brewers game on the Fox Sports Regional (Wisconsin) which is being rebranded to Bally's Sports Wisconsin.

Later this year, Sinclair will release its own direct to consumer app/stream, but, it is not expected until later in the year.

If you stream the only place to get it is AT&T TV. ($80-$85 package)

Otherwise, DirecTV owned by AT&T, and, some cable outlets have it.

I would not be surprised if there were no new deals until Sinclair releases their own product.

Quick bump here for the first day of spring training games.  Does a subscription for a streaming service that includes FS1 (I'm looking at sling orange+blue) then allow you access to your local Fox Sports Regional by signing into the FSGo app?  So if I sign up for Sling that includes FS1, can I login to FSGo and watch Brewers games that way if I'm in the FSWI footprint? Sorry if this has been covered in this thread already.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #494 on: February 28, 2021, 09:07:51 AM »
Quick bump here for the first day of spring training games.  Does a subscription for a streaming service that includes FS1 (I'm looking at sling orange+blue) then allow you access to your local Fox Sports Regional by signing into the FSGo app?  So if I sign up for Sling that includes FS1, can I login to FSGo and watch Brewers games that way if I'm in the FSWI footprint? Sorry if this has been covered in this thread already.

No.

A few people have suggested MLB.TV as an option. It of course is more expensive than regular monthly tv viewing, and it doesn't solve the other sports besides baseball problem with Sinclair. (I have had MLB Extra Innings in the past with my television provider, which is a similar price as MLB.TV)

You can try a free 7 day trial to MLB.TV to see if you like it/want to pay for it. Best value is entire season price.

I don't have any confidence that Sinclair will reach deals with others before releasing its own app next year, although it could happen. And it is unknown when the 2022 Sinclair app will be available, cost, quality, etc...

Your only streaming package option right now is switching to AT&T TV. Otherwise you would need to do MLB.TV

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #495 on: February 28, 2021, 09:13:47 AM »
No.

A few people have suggested MLB.TV as an option. It of course is more expensive than regular monthly tv viewing, and it doesn't solve the other sports besides baseball problem with Sinclair. (I have had MLB Extra Innings in the past with my television provider, which is a similar price as MLB.TV)

You can try a free 7 day trial to MLB.TV to see if you like it/want to pay for it. Best value is entire season price.

I don't have any confidence that Sinclair will reach deals with others before releasing its own app next year, although it could happen. And it is unknown when the 2022 Sinclair app will be available, cost, quality, etc...

Your only streaming package option right now is switching to AT&T TV. Otherwise you would need to do MLB.TV

Thanks a ton for the great summary. I'm starting to see why everyone is getting frustrated with the regionals.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #496 on: February 28, 2021, 09:19:36 AM »
Also, have there blackout issues with MLB.TV? I subcribed for a half season a couple years ago and I think I remember bumping into blackout problems both for the local team that also broadcasted through a Fox Sports regional and for the national broadcasts.  I'd just hate to pony up for MLB.TV only to have more than half the games i want to watch blacked out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #497 on: February 28, 2021, 09:27:13 AM »
Also, have there blackout issues with MLB.TV? I subcribed for a half season a couple years ago and I think I remember bumping into blackout problems both for the local team that also broadcasted through a Fox Sports regional and for the national broadcasts.  I'd just hate to pony up for MLB.TV only to have more than half the games i want to watch blacked out.

You'd have to go through a VPN to get local games.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #498 on: February 28, 2021, 09:58:47 AM »
No.

Here where I live in New Jersey for DirecTV the Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Knicks and Nets are my home teams, but for baseball and football its Phillies and Eagles. Go figure. All Phillies home games are blacked out on Extra Innings so if the Yanks or Mets play in Philly I'm out of luck, unless they're on FOX or ESPN. NFL Sunday Ticket also sucks because if your local station is carrying the game it is blacked out the Sunday Ticket channel. The local Philly channel will carry quite a few Giants games. On several occasions the Giant game would run past the start of the Eagle game so I would miss the end of the game.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #499 on: February 28, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »
I have Hulu Live, and MLB.TV. Does this mean I have to figure out what a VPN is- then change it- in order to watch the Cubs game on Herr Ricketts’ crappy network in the Chicagoland area?