[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 92087 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #525 on: June 11, 2021, 08:01:46 PM »
Sinclair Aiming for $23/Month Streaming Plan for Bally Sports in 2022
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #526 on: June 11, 2021, 08:19:40 PM »

I do miss watching Brewers games but not enough to pay that much a month to watch them.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #527 on: June 11, 2021, 09:10:28 PM »

In future news Sinclair is toast.

That's outrageous. They're not gonna get enough subscribers at that price point.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #528 on: June 11, 2021, 10:49:32 PM »
I do miss watching Brewers games but not enough to pay that much a month to watch them.

I just set up my Hulu to notify me when any games are on.  I'll take Uek and whatever espn+ scraps there are.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #529 on: June 11, 2021, 11:26:37 PM »
In future news Sinclair is toast.

That's outrageous. They're not gonna get enough subscribers at that price point.

Sinclair is definitely not toast.

Furthermore, they are not reliant on monthly subscriptions. That is just added revenue.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:23:57 PM by Jockey »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #530 on: June 12, 2021, 09:10:43 AM »
Sinclair is using gambling revenue to offset subscriber losses.

Dish rolled the dice two tears ago thinking the majority of its customers would not switch elsewhere after losing Sinclair channels. They were largely correct despite some movement. (I was included in that movement) There are still many Dish subscribers two years later, unhappy with lack of deal with Sinclair but still with Dish.

Will see how Sinclair does if that is their price point. They will get some takers but I can’t imagine a high volume. but the price point will offset that. It just means less and less people will have Sinclair channels but as long as the money works good enough for them they won’t care.

There are lot of consumers out there used to the $5/mo easy add drop ESPN app that has tons of games and content. They won’t get that crowd with that type of price point.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #531 on: June 12, 2021, 04:31:03 PM »
I'll keep my MLB tv subscription for $100 a year for all teams and a vpn. Thanks though Bally.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #532 on: September 30, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »
Any YTTV people still left? If they can't cut a deal with NBCU, I'll likely be canceling. Any recommendations on other streaming providers? I'd consider cable again, but the extra $40/month in broadcast surcharges and equipment fees is a non-starter.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #533 on: September 30, 2021, 11:45:54 AM »
Just cut the cord. Went with AT&T's 50 Mpbs plan because Fiber isn't available and with Spectrum we had the 200 Mbps in theory, but when I did speed tests we were at 30 Mbps during peak hours and 45-55 during non-peak, so the consistent dedicated line seemed better.

Using Hulu+, added HBOMax and Showtime, along with the Disney+, Netflix, and Prime we already had. Now just hoping we get all the Marquette games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #534 on: September 30, 2021, 11:52:56 AM »
Any YTTV people still left? If they can't cut a deal with NBCU, I'll likely be canceling. Any recommendations on other streaming providers? I'd consider cable again, but the extra $40/month in broadcast surcharges and equipment fees is a non-starter.
Yes. YTTV did say they’d cut they the monthly price by $10 if they don’t renew with NBCU

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #535 on: September 30, 2021, 12:01:07 PM »
Yes. YTTV did say they’d cut they the monthly price by $10 if they don’t renew with NBCU

Hah, yeah, I love YTTVs response.  In fact, it seems it'd be a savings if they didn't get the channels back - AND you subscribed to peacock.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/27/youtube-tv-may-drop-14-nbc-universal-channels-over-a-contract-dispute/
YouTube is saying that it will only renew “if NBCU offers us equitable terms” and said it would drop monthly prices by $10 from $64.99 to $54.99 while the channels are off the platform. It even encouraged users to sign up for NBC’s Peacock streaming service for $4.99 per month in order to retain NBCU content.

I just use YTTV during MU hoops season, and I don't see any reason they won't still be the best option for watching Marquette games.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #536 on: September 30, 2021, 12:43:04 PM »

I'm in the same boat with YTTV. It's extremely frustrating that such a good product is undercut by these constant battles with content providers. First baseball (Sinclair), now soccer (NBCU). Once I can no longer watch soccer, I will probably cancel the service until MUBB is back. Then cancel after the MUBB season.

Does anyone know how premier league games will be handled on Peacock? From what I can tell, some games will be live, but most games won't be. Than games that aren't live will be available on demand at 9pm ET on the day of the game. Is that right? Unbelievably annoying.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #537 on: September 30, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »
Does anyone know how premier league games will be handled on Peacock? From what I can tell, some games will be live, but most games won't be. Than games that aren't live will be available on demand at 9pm ET on the day of the game. Is that right? Unbelievably annoying.

I believe if it's carried on USA/NBCSN you'll have to login with TV provider credentials on the NBC Sports app.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #538 on: September 30, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »

I uncut the cord this spring. Comcast bundle was cheaper than YTTV+RCN after the $15/mo increase for Viacom (or any other stream that fit what I was looking for.)

YTTV interface was better, but overall I'm fine with it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #539 on: October 01, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »
I'm on YTTV.    While I watch an NBC channel, if they dropped the NBCUs and the monthly price dropped by $10 and Peacock is $5, then I net $5 savings.   

I'm fine with that.  I'll endure some inconvenience for YT to fight NBC and their increases.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #540 on: October 01, 2021, 08:35:43 AM »

I have YTTV. I was hoping that NBCU would be gone. Was looking forward to saving $10 per month.

YouTube TV and NBCUniversal have agreed to a “short” extension over the streaming service carrying several of the broadcaster’s channels. That means that at least for now, YouTube TV will continue to carry more than a dozen major NBCUniversal-owned channels, including NBC regional sports networks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 08:37:49 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #541 on: October 01, 2021, 09:17:14 AM »
^^^ thank goodness. I was worried I’d have to watch Below Deck at my gf’s house instead of all alone in secrecy. #Bravo
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #542 on: October 02, 2021, 09:10:50 PM »
“ We’re thrilled to share that we’ve reached a deal with NBCUniversal to continue carrying the full NBCUniversal portfolio of channels, including their Regional Sports Networks and your local NBC station. That means you won’t lose access to any of their channels, and YouTube TV will continue to offer 85+ networks for $64.99* per month.

We appreciate NBCUniversal’s willingness to work toward an agreement, and we also appreciate your patience while we negotiated with them on your behalf. Thanks again for being a YouTube TV member.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team”
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #543 on: October 02, 2021, 10:50:19 PM »
^^^ thank goodness. I was worried I’d have to watch Below Deck at my gf’s house instead of all alone in secrecy. #Bravo
it's been a decent season with capt Sandy. Million dollar listing LA is my jam though. Glad they struck a deal

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #544 on: October 15, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »
Earlier this week at a Sports Conference, MLB Commissioner said Sinclair lacked enough digital rights from its 21 teams to have a feasible direct to consumer product. He also said Sinclair lacked the gambling rights too. I know that Sinclair has some contracts with some teams that go another dozen years.

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1448017642032451585?t=5D5LwRGuzZ3h7NIXT1thCg&s=19

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #545 on: October 19, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
Earlier this week at a Sports Conference, MLB Commissioner said Sinclair lacked enough digital rights from its 21 teams to have a feasible direct to consumer product. He also said Sinclair lacked the gambling rights too. I know that Sinclair has some contracts with some teams that go another dozen years.

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1448017642032451585?t=5D5LwRGuzZ3h7NIXT1thCg&s=19

What's your take on what that means long term? Would MLB find a way to push Sinclair out as a broadcaster? 

I can't remember where I saw it, but I think someone floated the rumor that MLB is looking into making their own streaming app with in-market games available. I would assume the rumored app and the issues with Sinclair are related.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #546 on: October 19, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »

What's your take on what that means long term? Would MLB find a way to push Sinclair out as a broadcaster? 

I can't remember where I saw it, but I think someone floated the rumor that MLB is looking into making their own streaming app with in-market games available. I would assume the rumored app and the issues with Sinclair are related.

I don’t know how it will work because I know with some teams, Sinclair has another dozen years left on their local contract. Sinclair has the rights to 21 teams broadcasts. (They also have many rights to NHL, NBA, and Tennis Channel) They have been the preferred partner. However obviously there is recognized frustration from MLB with Sinclair on a variety of fronts. They are publicly acknowledging for the first time the MLB/fan frustration with Sinclair.

Manfred was tired of Sinclair overpromising their direct to consumer app as well as their gambling, to go along with their subscriber decrease etc…saying they lacked those rights often times, and he was clearly saying he wants MLB to have as many digital rights as possible to have control of their product. Maybe Sinclair will be a partner with that and maybe not. He alluded to opening it up to different potential partners for that. Obviously a dream scenario for consumers would be distancing from Sinclair altogether across the board.

It’s difficult to get some streaming numbers. Example: For the 3rd time in 4 years the Cardinals had the highest rated local market MLB ratings. (top 4 for 22 straight seasons). Their games (149) were seen in 6.2% of homes with a tv. That number is down from 10% just 5 years ago. They were the highest rating local primetime show 74% of the time. (These are Nielsen numbers) It is said that people without access to Sinclair made up about 10% of the local market. That seems like a low number to me. Maybe it’s not.

I cut the cord a few years back and I felt that I was “slow” to do so. There must still be a lot of cable/satellite subscribers out there. Non-sports fans have always outnumbered sports fans. For now and for the foreseeable future going into next year, it would appear to be DirecTV stream only for streamers, and cable/DirecTV for non cord cutters. (unless I am forgetting others)

It would be interesting to hear from NHL and NBA as well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #547 on: December 18, 2021, 09:24:15 AM »
So, what's everybody's backup plan for YTTV losing ESPN?    I've got a xfinity login I can use in the meantime, and I guess it's fortunate this happened after MU's non-conference.  Still, the ESPN networks often carry games that I like to watch.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #548 on: December 18, 2021, 09:29:21 AM »
Pay da bread, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #549 on: December 18, 2021, 10:00:25 AM »
So, what's everybody's backup plan for YTTV losing ESPN?    I've got a xfinity login I can use in the meantime, and I guess it's fortunate this happened after MU's non-conference.  Still, the ESPN networks often carry games that I like to watch.

Debating between buying the Disney+, espn+, and Hulu package. Or going to Hulu live. This one hurts youtube