[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 205357 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1725 on: February 13, 2023, 12:35:16 PM »
If you guys are looking at going to SLC do it soon.  With the quickly drying Great Salt Lake the city is going to be ruined.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: February 13, 2023, 01:09:02 PM »
Any non ski suggestions for the SLC area?

Red Iguana. Ask for samples of all the moles (they have like 9.)

Skip the Copper Onion. Came highly recommended and was a letdown in food and service.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: February 13, 2023, 06:26:36 PM »
Finally making my way to New Orleans at the end of March for the very first time.

Staying near the convention center and will be busy most days, but after 5 want to see as much as I can.

Gimmie the recs

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: February 13, 2023, 06:31:38 PM »
Finally making my way to New Orleans at the end of March for the very first time.

Staying near the convention center and will be busy most days, but after 5 want to see as much as I can.

Gimmie the recs
My favorite bar in NOLA

https://hotelmonteleone.com/entertainment/carousel-bar/

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: February 13, 2023, 06:32:55 PM »
https://youtu.be/1-m_Jjse-cs

Should airlines be regulated as public utilities in the context of their impact on the country's economy?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: February 13, 2023, 11:14:38 PM »

Gimmie the recs

You won't be too far from the National WWII Museum.  You should definitely check it out if you get the chance.  It's one of the best museums in the country.
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: February 14, 2023, 08:10:39 AM »
+1 on the WWII museum and the Carousel bar, we stayed @ the Monteleone on our wedding night 32 years ago today. Maybe take a walking tour of haunted locations in the 1/4 or the St. Louis #1 cemetery. Check out the art galleries/stores on Royal St. Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens (tricky not having to buy the glass). Lattes at Cafe du Monde

We always loved dining at Mr. B's, Commander's Palace, Antoine's, Brennan's, The Gumbo Shop, brunch @ the Court of 2 Sisters.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: February 14, 2023, 10:24:24 AM »

Gimmie the recs

Lot of good recos so far.

My main one...there is a po'boy spot in the back of a dive bar just north of Bourbon on Conti St.  Its called Killer Po'boys and the bar its in is called the Erin Rose.

Cool spot, fantastic po'boys, and going through a bar into a shop in the back is awesome.  They have a stand alone restaurant now, from what I've heard, but you gotta go to the original.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: February 14, 2023, 11:51:55 AM »
Our favorite joint is Coop's Place.  A dive bar with really great cajun food.  And the price is right.

Also check out LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop - Built in the 1700's, it's one of the oldest bars in the country.  Still lit by candles.  Try the Voodoo Daquiri. You can hit it on the way to Frenchmen Street.  Great live music - you really can't go wrong at any of the venues. Most of them do not have cover charges.  It's amazing the quality of the bands there that are playing for tips.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1734 on: February 14, 2023, 01:06:49 PM »

Gimmie the recs

Last time I was in New Orleans was 2015 IIRC so take these recommendations with a grain of salt. We stayed in the Lakeview neighborhood north of downtown. There was a ton of good food options in that neighborhood along with a lot of little galleries that were fun to walk through. I remember District Donuts being a really good meal, they serve sliders, donuts, and beer. You can get fantastic cajun food anywhere. The only meal we didn't like was at Emeril's restaurant which was disappointing (my wife was a huge fan of his show growing up). The most fun we had while we were there was at this little bar at the end of Bourbon St. called the Funky Pirate Blues Club. The singer in resident at the time (no idea if he's still there) was "Big Al" who lived up to his moniker but had an amazing voice. Knew how to work the crowd too.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: February 14, 2023, 01:35:04 PM »

My main one...there is a po'boy spot in the back of a dive bar just north of Bourbon on Conti St.  Its called Killer Po'boys and the bar its in is called the Erin Rose.

Cool spot, fantastic po'boys, and going through a bar into a shop in the back is awesome.  They have a stand alone restaurant now, from what I've heard, but you gotta go to the original.

Po'boys are OK but I live for a great muffaletta when in NOLA.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: February 14, 2023, 05:58:41 PM »

One word of warning, Killer closes earlier than the bar,pretty early IIRC. But yeah great recommendation!

If you are near the Hilton, have chargrilled oysters at Drago’s. The original is in Metairie but the one in the Hilton is good.

The suggestion of a haunted tour, while a bit cheesy is good for first timers. Gives good historical background.

Don’t engage the folks on Bourbon street that are trying to scam you. I can tell you where you got your shoes at for half the price.  ;D

The street car ride is worth the time, just to see St Charles St and say you’ve done it.

Second the Frenchmen street suggestion and there is a craft market many of the nights.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1737 on: February 14, 2023, 06:00:19 PM »
Our favorite joint is Coop's Place.  A dive bar with really great cajun food.  And the price is right.

Also check out LaFitte's Blacksmith Shop - Built in the 1700's, it's one of the oldest bars in the country.  Still lit by candles.  Try the Voodoo Daquiri. You can hit it on the way to Frenchmen Street.  Great live music - you really can't go wrong at any of the venues. Most of them do not have cover charges.  It's amazing the quality of the bands there that are playing for tips.

Watch out there. I’ve heard shady characters hang out there, one even as recent as a couple weeks ago.  ;D ;D ;D

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: February 14, 2023, 06:04:45 PM »
Po'boys are OK but I live for a great muffaletta when in NOLA.

And for great sandwiches of all sorts many of the small grocers have amazing delis. Central Market is known for their muffulettas and Verti Mart for their po boys. Great later night munchie options.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: February 14, 2023, 06:38:21 PM »
Watch out there. I’ve heard shady characters hang out there, one even as recent as a couple weeks ago.  ;D ;D ;D

Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: February 14, 2023, 06:43:07 PM »
One word of warning, Killer closes earlier than the bar,pretty early IIRC. But yeah great recommendation!

Good call.

And Lafitte’s is great.  One of a number of places that is a “have to go” touristy sort of spot…that is also incredibly cool and not at all corny.  There is a number of spots like that in NOLA.

For any ABNB goers, my new favorite spot to stay for that is Marigny.  East of the French Quarter.  Lot of really nice remodeled homes, clean streets, and a quick walk into Bourbon St and it’s surroundings.  Also a great transition from 90% nicer homes to the mishmash of mansions and shacks that make up the FQ and it’s direct adjacent blocks

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: February 14, 2023, 06:55:22 PM »

For any ABNB goers, my new favorite spot to stay for that is Marigny.  East of the French Quarter.  Lot of really nice remodeled homes, clean streets, and a quick walk into Bourbon St and it’s surroundings.  Also a great transition from 90% nicer homes to the mishmash of mansions and shacks that make up the FQ and it’s direct adjacent blocks

Yes, this!  My favorite place is in Marigny a couple of blocks from Frenchman Street. PM me and I can send you a link to their AirBnB listing.
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: February 14, 2023, 07:10:28 PM »
Lower garden district is nice as well. Lots of great places to eat along Magazine street  including District Donut.

Oh, and Stiffler’s mom lives in that district. And I know which house! ;)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: March 13, 2023, 10:59:05 AM »
So it's time to spotlight Columbus. What recommendations do people have? Recommendations for a solid Irish pub, good restaurants, a couple breweries, etc
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: March 13, 2023, 03:01:20 PM »
So it's time to spotlight Columbus. What recommendations do people have? Recommendations for a solid Irish pub, good restaurants, a couple breweries, etc

Columbus conveniently has it's German Village with brick streets next to the appropriately named Brewery District. 
(You can even get New Haven style pizza at the Columbus location of the Cincinnati brewer, Taft's.)

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: March 14, 2023, 08:21:47 AM »
Posted this in the other thread, but just in case:

The above mentioned area German Village is nice.
Also wander north of the arena down - High St and surrounding streets is great to wander around. A ton of bars and restaurants in the area.
Parlay Sports club has lots of TVs, but becomes a nightclub at night. Staff is nice....https://parlaycolumbus.com
North Market is a decent choice for grabbing a bite near the arena. Typical market with several stands. https://northmarket.org/
The area between downtown and German Village has some interesting places.
For a brewery, I like Wolf's Ridge (but don't think they have TVs, so maybe out for this weekend). https://www.wolfsridgebrewing.com/ Holy Trinity Brewery is nearby and has TVs. Decent beer IIRC.
Pins is an upscale Koz's. https://www.pinsbar.com/columbus

Oh, and if you want a bit more privacy and have a grand to drop, you can join the members only private club "No Soliciting" https://www.nosolicitingbar.com/#about
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:27:57 AM by pbiflyer »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: March 14, 2023, 09:40:15 AM »
Posted this in the other thread, but just in case:

The above mentioned area German Village is nice.
Also wander north of the arena down - High St and surrounding streets is great to wander around. A ton of bars and restaurants in the area.
Parlay Sports club has lots of TVs, but becomes a nightclub at night. Staff is nice....https://parlaycolumbus.com
North Market is a decent choice for grabbing a bite near the arena. Typical market with several stands. https://northmarket.org/
The area between downtown and German Village has some interesting places.
For a brewery, I like Wolf's Ridge (but don't think they have TVs, so maybe out for this weekend). https://www.wolfsridgebrewing.com/ Holy Trinity Brewery is nearby and has TVs. Decent beer IIRC.
Pins is an upscale Koz's. https://www.pinsbar.com/columbus

Oh, and if you want a bit more privacy and have a grand to drop, you can join the members only private club "No Soliciting" https://www.nosolicitingbar.com/#about

Area north of the arena is called Short North, and agreed, High Street is a great stretch. 

Town Hall is a solid restaurant.

North Star Cafe is a great brunch/lunch spot.

BrewDogs is kind of a funky modern bar my Cbus friends randomly love.

Despite having a bunch of friends there and visiting 1-2 times a year, I don't LOVE Cbus, its a bit devoid of personality (excepting German Village) for me compared to some other Midwest cities...however, I love the High St stretch, especially for this given the proximity to Nationwide.

You start in German Village, which is an upscale historical neighborhood.  Unique in both its makeup and the sort of commerical offerings.

Head North and you have the Brewery District adjacent just before Downtown.  And the Scioto Metro Park just to the West is pretty nice.

Then you have Downtown/Flytown and its assorted offerings.

Then you get to the aforementioned Short North.

And then if you continue another mile or so, you end up at OSU and the full campus and surrounding setting.

Really don't need to stray anywhere else more than a few blocks East or West of High St for the duration if you're there for a long weekend.

Also, if you have kids and need a few hour diversion, COSI (the Cbus science museum) is just across the Scioto River from downtown, literally a 6-7 min walk from High St, and its pretty cool.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: March 14, 2023, 02:37:32 PM »
I agree with this assessment.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: March 19, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »
Esteemed Scoop Travelers:
I have one night in Taipei coming up due to a long layover.  Recommendations for area to stay, hotel, and 1-2 sights to see would be most appreciated.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: March 19, 2023, 12:31:13 PM »
Don't order da chicken. Its pigeon, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"