[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 205159 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1700 on: January 25, 2023, 04:39:25 PM »
If you can afford it (about $400/night) Salt Cottages is about a mile from Acadia Park's Hull Visitors Center and 3 miles from downtown Bar Harbor.  Old school resort.

Thank you for the recommendation. For our group, it looks like it would be at least $550 (and that's assuming they'd let all of us share a cottage). I'm not sure that will be in our budget. It looks beautiful, though.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1701 on: January 26, 2023, 07:33:40 AM »
Bar Harbor is neat unless there is a cruise ship around.  Portland is a great city with some good restaurants and breweries.  If you're driving up 1 from Boston and you don't stop at Red's Eats in Wiscasset and get a Lobster roll you will live to regret it.  Also, before arriving in Bar Harbor, stop in Brewing, ME at  Mason's Brewing Company.  Choice.

I love Burlington, VT, but that's kind of out of the way for your plans.  Also, Newport, RI is pretty awesome too... but a little out of the way as well.

I second Portland, ME.  Very cool.  To be honest, Cape Cod is kind of far drive if only going for one day.  You may want to try the Maine shore instead somewhere between Old Orchard Beach and York Beach instead.  I haven't been in Bar Harbor in 40 years so I can't really speak for it.  Others have already addressed well.  I do know a lot of people like to walk to the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia to see the first light of day in the the continental USA. 

I also second Burlington, VT on Lake Champlain is very cool.  My younger daughter goes to UVM and I'm staring at a UVM coffee cup while I type this.  However Burlington is much too far for your trip centered on Boston & Acadia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: January 26, 2023, 08:32:59 AM »
I second Portland, ME.  Very cool.

We will definitely be spending time in Portland, so thank you for that. My wife also really enjoyed Portsmouth, NH when visiting family in the area.

To be honest, Cape Cod is kind of far drive if only going for one day.  You may want to try the Maine shore instead somewhere between Old Orchard Beach and York Beach instead.

I think we may end up doing both, but thank you. We'd like to see Cape Cod and there are a couple of things we'd like to do there (fishing and whale watching). If I can find something comparable in ME or NH, maybewe'd skip the Cape and just spend out time north of Boston.

I do know a lot of people like to walk to the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia to see the first light of day in the the continental USA.

That sounds fantastic and I wasn't aware of that. We'd already talked about wanting to see a sun rise on one of the days, so this sounds perfect. We've been going to the beach in Delaware for years and we always watch the sun rise over the Atlantic once or twice. This will be a really cool improvement on that.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1703 on: January 26, 2023, 08:35:47 AM »
Bar Harbor is neat unless there is a cruise ship around.  Portland is a great city with some good restaurants and breweries.  If you're driving up 1 from Boston and you don't stop at Red's Eats in Wiscasset and get a Lobster roll you will live to regret it.  Also, before arriving in Bar Harbor, stop in Brewing, ME at  Mason's Brewing Company.  Choice.

Every single one of those recommendations sound great, and I'll make note of them. I know that my sister in law who lives in NH has a favorite place to get lobster rolls that she recommended, but I'm sure I'll be down to try another and compare. And we were already wanting to scout some breweries, so thank you for that.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: January 26, 2023, 09:18:35 AM »
I really liked Portsmouth, NH, but I am a huge craft beer fan (well before it was cool and now passe).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: January 26, 2023, 09:47:44 AM »
I love Portsmouth, have stayed at the Wentworth a couple of times.

I’ve been to all 50 states, and when it comes up and people ask me what the most underrated state is, I always say Maine. So many great spots along the coastline, great food, very nice people.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: January 26, 2023, 10:11:33 AM »
Will echo MU CT about Cape Cod. I love it, but either make more time for it or skip it. And be strategic about when you're going there and back as traffic can be brutal, especially as you get further out into the lower Cape.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: January 26, 2023, 10:24:49 AM »
Every single one of those recommendations sound great, and I'll make note of them. I know that my sister in law who lives in NH has a favorite place to get lobster rolls that she recommended, but I'm sure I'll be down to try another and compare. And we were already wanting to scout some breweries, so thank you for that.

Ah, well in that case, Maine Beer Company is great too.  Super green place, great beer, and home made pizzas!  Also, Flight Deck is a good stop.  It is in an old airport hanger and aviation themed...  Both of these are also only a couple of blocks off of Hwy 1.

If you have time in Boston please skip Sam Adams, and hit up Harpoon instead.  The tour is miles better, and the beer selection is the best in the area.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: January 26, 2023, 11:07:10 AM »
I love Portsmouth, have stayed at the Wentworth a couple of times.

I’ve been to all 50 states, and when it comes up and people ask me what the most underrated state is, I always say Maine. So many great spots along the coastline, great food, very nice people.

Is Maine underrated?  I feel like, in my experience, people either rave about Maine...or haven't been.

If you have time in Boston please skip Sam Adams, and hit up Harpoon instead.  The tour is miles better, and the beer selection is the best in the area.

Speaking of, not sure if you're a cider fan, but Downeast is right near the airport, literally on the other side of the highway in Jeffries Point.  Its a relatively quick tour but incredible tasting and their growlers are basically free and very cool.  The only downside was I left annoyed cause they had about 8 cool unique varietals and outside of New England you were lucky to find their seasonal, in addition to the classic.  Even in NYC we never got more than 2-3.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: January 26, 2023, 11:27:46 AM »
Is Maine underrated?  I feel like, in my experience, people either rave about Maine...or haven't been.

Speaking of, not sure if you're a cider fan, but Downeast is right near the airport, literally on the other side of the highway in Jeffries Point.  Its a relatively quick tour but incredible tasting and their growlers are basically free and very cool.  The only downside was I left annoyed cause they had about 8 cool unique varietals and outside of New England you were lucky to find their seasonal, in addition to the classic.  Even in NYC we never got more than 2-3.

Downeast cider is the best cider in the US that is mass produced.  Their website has a locator and I can easily find it in Dane County.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: January 26, 2023, 01:01:39 PM »

You’re right, I worded that poorly.

I should have said people act surprised when I say Maine is near the top of places they should visit. It is rated properly, I don’t think I’ve heard anyone who has been there say anything negative about it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: January 26, 2023, 02:36:50 PM »
Will echo MU CT about Cape Cod. I love it, but either make more time for it or skip it. And be strategic about when you're going there and back as traffic can be brutal, especially as you get further out into the lower Cape.

Good call.  I forgot about this in addition to being a long drive, there literally is only one road to get onto Cape Cod and will be brutal even if just headed for the lower Cape. 

There most definitely is whale watch trips available from Portland, ME and also near Portsmouth, NH. 
I give thumbs up also to Portsmouth, NH also although I like Portland better.

My Maine relatives are an 1.5 hrs north of Bangor in Greenville, ME on Moosehead Lake although I haven't been through there in 35 years.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: January 26, 2023, 03:54:12 PM »
You’re right, I worded that poorly.

I should have said people act surprised when I say Maine is near the top of places they should visit. It is rated properly, I don’t think I’ve heard anyone who has been there say anything negative about it.

Northern Minnesota along Lake Superior is every bit as nice.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: January 26, 2023, 04:54:39 PM »
Downeast cider is the best cider in the US that is mass produced.  Their website has a locator and I can easily find it in Dane County.

Couldn't agree more.  I know of a couple spots in the Milwaukee area to get it, but thats usually just original, Double blend, and whatever the seasonal is.  I think I also saw Strawberry recently.

When I was at the cidery, they had like 5-6 more at a time, I saw pallets of the can, not being able to find those is what I meant as disappointing.

Northern Minnesota along Lake Superior is every bit as nice.

I flew into Duluth last month on a United status run.  Maybe in the summer/fall.  On a clear partially sunny winter day, flying in, the view was a frozen hellscape

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: February 10, 2023, 12:24:47 PM »
Any input/advice on a March ski trip to the SLC area?

Couple things:
1. Son (17) wants to snowboard, so I know at least one place doesn't allow snowboards.
2. He's only snowboarded once, so we don't need awesome places, but good snow would be nice.
3. Other things to do in the area? We'll have a vehicle so can travel.
4. Current plans include snowmobiling, so any suggestions?
5. We want to have him do the bobsled course. Pricey, but looks fun. Any feedback?

And no, I am not stopping in to see Wojo, so no suggestions around him.  :P

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1715 on: February 10, 2023, 01:32:20 PM »

Couple things:
1. Son (17) wants to snowboard, so I know at least one place doesn't allow snowboards.
2. He's only snowboarded once, so we don't need awesome places, but good snow would be nice.
5. We want to have him do the bobsled course. Pricey, but looks fun. Any feedback?

Hey, I’ll be in Park City in mid-March and don’t do any of those things but I’ll be passed out somewhere
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1716 on: February 10, 2023, 03:28:13 PM »

Couple things:

I assume you're referring to Alta in #1.  Unfortunate, cause thats my favorite mountain in the area, but its also a big more rugged so not even a beginner ski mountain.  Actually I think Deer Valley doesn't either, unfortunate cause thats the best snow and spot for a beginner.

Either Snowbird or Park City are great choices.  Park City is a very cool area to just go around in as well.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: February 10, 2023, 04:17:00 PM »
I flew into Duluth last month on a United status run.  Maybe in the summer/fall.  On a clear partially sunny winter day, flying in, the view was a frozen hellscape

You do United status runs?

I missed 1K by $150.00 in 2023 and asked them to reconsider. They did.

As to Duluth, that's my parents hometown (thankfully, not mine). It's actually beautiful up there in the winter and the signs of life are everywhere. Until my Dad died a few years ago, my family had a home in rural Douglas County, WI. The beauty, the quiet and the freshness makes that part of the world wonderful in winter. As long as you have someplace to go after about five days.

We were at the family home once when it was -30F and a 50 mile an hour northwest wind. It was the late 1980s and our car was, we thought, winterized. We lived in Chicago at the time. It took us three days of leaving our car on a battery charger, putting a heat gun to the radiator and a second heating device on the oil, to get the car started. Cabin fever set in and I think we would have walked to the nearest bar (four miles away) had our car not FINALLY started!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: February 10, 2023, 04:38:24 PM »
I assume you're referring to Alta in #1.  Unfortunate, cause thats my favorite mountain in the area, but its also a big more rugged so not even a beginner ski mountain.  Actually I think Deer Valley doesn't either, unfortunate cause thats the best snow and spot for a beginner.

Either Snowbird or Park City are great choices.  Park City is a very cool area to just go around in as well.

When the kids were younger, we stayed in the actual city so we could ski in a different area every day if we wanted.  Otherwise you basically have to choose between  Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta/Snowbird/Deer Valley) Big Cottonwood Canyon (Brighton/Solitude) or the Park City area.

Park City is a real town and has more charm than than the other areas.  Vail Corp bought and consolidated several ski resorts a few years back, so it's all one lift ticket.  The last time Glow and I skied there, we stayed at a condo in town and took the town lift straight onto the mountain. 

Can't really go wrong in any of the places as far as the quality of the skiing.  It's the best snow in the world.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: February 10, 2023, 04:59:34 PM »
You do United status runs?

I missed 1K by $150.00 in 2023 and asked them to reconsider. They did.

Very rarely.  I usually just take a random flight if I'm short on spend (I flew from Chicago to Milwaukee back in 2017 for Christmas.  My sister flew into Chicago from Dallas the night before.  Dropped me off at ORD and then picked me up at MKE about 90 min later  ;D)

This year was a random situation where I had ample spend from a few trips but didn't travel for work for a lot of 2022 due to lingering COVID business delays and a heavily pregnant wife then newborn.  So I needed segments.  Thus I flew MKE to Duluth and back, via ORD.  And also MKE to Green Bay, via ORD, in the week before Christmas.  It was an odd couple days.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: February 10, 2023, 09:45:56 PM »
Any non ski suggestions for the SLC area?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: February 10, 2023, 10:07:50 PM »

Visit the Olympic Park. It is very cool.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1722 on: February 10, 2023, 10:27:27 PM »

Chat up some ex-Mormons at bars.  Always entertaining.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: February 11, 2023, 12:11:16 AM »
When the kids were younger, we stayed in the actual city so we could ski in a different area every day if we wanted.  Otherwise you basically have to choose between  Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta/Snowbird/Deer Valley) Big Cottonwood Canyon (Brighton/Solitude) or the Park City area.

Park City is a real town and has more charm than than the other areas.  Vail Corp bought and consolidated several ski resorts a few years back, so it's all one lift ticket.  The last time Glow and I skied there, we stayed at a condo in town and took the town lift straight onto the mountain. 

Can't really go wrong in any of the places as far as the quality of the skiing.  It's the best snow in the world.
I agree with Chick, it's nice to stay in SLC and then try the different ski areas.  Now that I'm old, my favorite is Deer Valley specifically because they don't allow snowboarders (and because they groom well, and they limit lift ticket sales so you almost never wait in a line).  When I was young I liked snowbird best for long steep groomers, Alta best on a powder day, park city is a place you go there when it's an average snow day and you can't decide what you really want.  It can have massive lift lines.  Brighton and Solitude are both lots of fun as well.  For beginners probably park city is the best.  Several good brewpubs in SLC these days, and it's usually easy to get Jazz tickets and while their arena is pretty basic, there's not a bad seat in the place. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1724 on: February 13, 2023, 11:38:05 AM »
I agree with Chick, it's nice to stay in SLC and then try the different ski areas.  Now that I'm old, my favorite is Deer Valley specifically because they don't allow snowboarders (and because they groom well, and they limit lift ticket sales so you almost never wait in a line). 

When I was in my late teens, my Mom picked up skiing again for the first time in 20ish years.  So my ski trips with my family went from me, my dad, and my younger sister staying in in SLC and hitting a bunch of mountains, or Vail/Dillon and doing the same, to spending 90% of our time at a nicer mountain where we stayed.  So we’ve done a lot of the nicer (Beaver Creek, Deer Valley, Snowmass, Heavenly) places.  And I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Deer Valley is the nicest grooming I’ve ever seen.  It’s like snow carpet.

I remember getting to the bottom of a run and a gentleman was telling a lift operator that his wife fell on an uneven patch.  We kind of rolled our eyes, it was a blue, not some bunny hill green.  But the operator immediately gets on his radio.  As we take the chairlift up, we see a snowcat going out to groom. It was wild