collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 197526 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1475 on: July 01, 2022, 10:29:13 AM »
Mucho Gracias. This is valuable info, and we are budget conscious by nature. We are always happy with accommodations that are simply clean and comfortable, nothing fancy. With Alhambra a "pretty quick train ride" away, this sounds like a winner. I'm going to read up more about what already looks like the best place for a short trip. We'll skip the bullfighting but authentic flamenco (we've saw some in Charlottesville once) is absolutely amazing. As you correctly mentioned, Columbus' remains are allegedly there. Other sites include some in South America. Not only did the guy not know where he was sailing, he's not sure where he is.

For the short stay, I would second Sevilla. And if you are there on a Sunday, it is the day families stroll about and enjoy the outdoors. Have a fresh squeezed OJ (and maybe a shot of vodka ;) )
The Alhambra is amazing.
And yes, there is no easy way to get from Lisbon to Spain by train.
I would also check out Barcelona, great place just to hang out and there are some affordable hotels that aren't on the water.
Lisbon is awesome and while they are in other cities as well these days, the Time Out market is a pretty cool place to eat and drink (albeit, expensive compared to the rest of the city). Also a ferry ride across the river to Cacilhas to grab a bite gives you another aspect of the city and life.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: July 01, 2022, 10:39:39 AM »
Leelanau peninsula for a week.    Hiking, biking, golfing, swimming, dune climbing, kayaking, winery/brewery tours, sunsets over Lake Michigan......

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: July 01, 2022, 02:04:35 PM »
I highly recommend Seville. The Cathedral is amazing (Columbus' remains are allegedly there), Barrio Santa Cruz, bullfighting, flamenco dancing (not the super touristy stuff), Pretty quick train ride to the Alhambra.

A very inexpensive hotel, right in the center of Seville (right next to the Cathedral) is the Hotel Dona Maria.

Depends what you're interested in, but I second Seville if you're looking for a nice city to wind down at the end of the trip. There's not a ton to do, but enough for 2-3 days. The locals were incredibly friendly.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: July 01, 2022, 04:29:16 PM »
Yeah, da folks in CO ar hi 'nough already, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: July 01, 2022, 05:19:09 PM »
Yeah, da folks in CO ar hi 'nough already, aina?

Pot is a gateway drug
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: July 01, 2022, 05:50:37 PM »
Pot is a gateway drug

A gateway to a great time!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: July 01, 2022, 07:20:13 PM »
Leelanau peninsula for a week.    Hiking, biking, golfing, swimming, dune climbing, kayaking, winery/brewery tours, sunsets over Lake Michigan......

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sugarfoot Saloon still dishing out those burritos?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: July 01, 2022, 07:33:13 PM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 07:36:48 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: July 01, 2022, 10:22:15 PM »

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #1484 on: July 02, 2022, 09:16:51 AM »
We are going to be in Portugal for 11 days and Sintra is included in our itinerary. The 2-3 additional days will be in Spain.

I just did almost this identical itin a few weeks ago. Except flew into Madrid, did a quick hop from Madrid to Faro, then drove around Portugal. Highly suggest flying between Spain and Portugal.

As for where to go in Spain, this is the perfect time of year to go to San Sebastián in the Basque country. Think of a mini-Paris on the beach, sprinkled with Spanish culture and some of the best meals you’ll ever eat. And/or go run with the bulls in Pamplona—did that a few years ago and it was spectacular.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: July 02, 2022, 09:53:58 AM »
Thanks Muggsy, Lawdog, Hards Alumni and Babybluejeans for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: July 02, 2022, 10:09:05 AM »
Thanks Muggsy, Lawdog, Hards Alumni and Babybluejeans for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Have a great trip Scoop Snoop!  I'm sure I don't have to remind you to snag some Paella. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: July 02, 2022, 10:13:40 AM »
Have a great trip Scoop Snoop!  I'm sure I don't have to remind you to snag some Paella.
Socarrat!!! Possibly the best thing in the world to eat. A side order of pata negra. Try to make it to La hosteria del Laurel for some orange wine. Don Juan's hangout.

https://www.hosteriadellaurel.com/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 10:18:35 AM by lawdog77 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: July 02, 2022, 10:24:33 AM »
Socarrat!!! Possibly the best thing in the world to eat. A side order of pata negra. Try to make it to La hosteria del Laurel for some orange wine. Don Juan's hangout.

https://www.hosteriadellaurel.com/

That crust on their rice is beyond words.  Superb food overall in Spain.  I was young when I was there and didn't have much coin but still felt I was eating prime-time cuisine at every meal.  They have some garlic soup that was absolutely out of this world.  I know it's made with smoked paprika and some egg yolk.  The basket of homemade croutons they served with this soup (at some joint in Madrid) were absolutely ridiculous.  I could live on that soup.  Need to figure out what it was and find a recipe.  :)

I think it's Sopa de Ajo. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 10:27:40 AM by MuggsyB »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: July 02, 2022, 10:27:25 AM »
That crust on their rice is beyond words.  Superb food overall in Spain.  I was young when I was there and didn't have much coin but still felt I was eating prime-time cuisine at every meal.  They have some garlic soup that was absolutely out of this world.  I know it's made with smoked paprika and some egg yolk.  The basket of homemade croutons they served with this soup (at some joint in Madrid) were absolutely ridiculous.  I could live on that soup.  Need to figure out what it was and find a recipe.  :)
Some people think the French are the star chefs in Europe. They are sorely mistaken. Viva Espana!

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: July 02, 2022, 10:28:00 AM »
Muggsy, I have that Authentic Spanish Garlic soup recipe.  Ill have to dig it up for you...  ;)  I got when my wife and I were in Spain. She was in the MU Madrid Program, and spent 1 year there.  We go back and see her "sponsor" family.   Ill let u know when i find it ! ! !  8-)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: July 02, 2022, 10:35:45 AM »
Some people think the French are the star chefs in Europe. They are sorely mistaken. Viva Espana!

I've been very fortunate to travel quite a bit.  Nothing against the French but I'm with you.  I didn't have a single meal that wasn't excellent in Spain.  Now, I have since gone to Italy and Greece and had more money to splurge.  I had a number of insanely good food experiences in both of these countries .  Nothing crazy fancy but the local cuisine in various spots was spectacular, especially seafood based courses.  All that said?  My greatest food experiences have been in Asia but part of that is personal preference and that I've been there more often.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: July 02, 2022, 10:36:49 AM »
Muggsy, I have that Authentic Spanish Garlic soup recipe.  Ill have to dig it up for you...  ;)  I got when my wife and I were in Spain. She was in the MU Madrid Program, and spent 1 year there.  We go back and see her "sponsor" family.   Ill let u know when i find it ! ! !  8-)

Ty!!  I remember it's honestly very simple ingredients.  I appreciate any recipe you might have!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 10:39:14 AM by MuggsyB »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: July 02, 2022, 01:39:11 PM »
I've been very fortunate to travel quite a bit.  Nothing against the French but I'm with you.  I didn't have a single meal that wasn't excellent in Spain.  Now, I have since gone to Italy and Greece and had more money to splurge.  I had a number of insanely good food experiences in both of these countries .  Nothing crazy fancy but the local cuisine in various spots was spectacular, especially seafood based courses.  All that said?  My greatest food experiences have been in Asia but part of that is personal preference and that I've been there more often.  :)

We just got back from a trip that included 9 days in Paris. I like the food in Spain better as well.
While in Portugal, have some peri peri chicken, the cherry liquor and of course,  pasteis de belem. And while in Belem, visit all the museums. Worth the time. Also, lots of places to sit and drink by the river.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: July 04, 2022, 10:12:56 AM »
We just got back from a trip that included 9 days in Paris. I like the food in Spain better as well.
While in Portugal, have some peri peri chicken, the cherry liquor and of course,  pasteis de belem. And while in Belem, visit all the museums. Worth the time. Also, lots of places to sit and drink by the river.

Ahhh.....yes.  The piri-piri chicken.  Great call pbiflyer.  MIstakenly people think Nando's and South Africa invented the dish.  I'm not a big Sardine guy but they supped to be fantastic in Portugal.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: July 04, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »

Thanks! I will definitely try the peri peri chicken.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #1496 on: July 04, 2022, 12:22:20 PM »
Ahhh.....yes.  The piri-piri chicken.  Great call pbiflyer.  MIstakenly people think Nando's and South Africa invented the dish.  I'm not a big Sardine guy but they supped to be fantastic in Portugal.

DO NOT MISS THE SARDINES. So salty, so good. And a stop by A Ginjinha, a little stand in Lisbon helmed by an old Portuguese man, for a taste of the cherry liquor is a must. Get it with the cherry in it.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: July 04, 2022, 01:19:49 PM »
DO NOT MISS THE SARDINES. So salty, so good. And a stop by A Ginjinha, a little stand in Lisbon helmed by an old Portuguese man, for a taste of the cherry liquor is a must. Get it with the cherry in it.

Yep, you can get the drink almost anywhere, but that little place is a must!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: July 04, 2022, 04:03:10 PM »
Returned from Europe on Saturday.  Flight was only 30 minutes late leaving Amsterdam. 
But JFK- quickly deboarded and through immigration in 5-10 minutes. Jeez, then had to wait 1h 45m for my luggage to come out.  Crazy

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: July 07, 2022, 07:50:10 PM »
Grand Rapids for golf next week.

What does anyone have for everything else? Dinner, breakfast, Detroit style, breweries etc

Thanks for the recs.

feedback