[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199542 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1300 on: December 20, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
Keys vacation housing pricing has gotten insanely outrageous. Not sure why. We looked at off season and couldn't find anything under a grand a night. There was a lovely waterfront for only $6k a night. Since mrs pbiflyer was over my shoulder, I did not inquire about the SI swimsuit model orgies.  ;D

ETA: Since you are on Big Pine, drop into the NoName Pub. Good dive bar. Better before the internet and became popular, but still a Big Pine tradition.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 09:37:41 AM by pbiflyer »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1301 on: December 20, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
Depending on where you are talking about. Pennekamp? Snorkeling is fine.
Islamorada or other places further down? Diving is better.
Plus personal preference. Snorkeling easier, cheaper,  You can obviously observe better diving. Turtles and nurse sharks tuck under ledges and are easier to see on air.
Plus there are a couple wrecks you can only get to diving. I’m not a big wreck diver fan, but most are.
Let me know where and I’ll see what insight I can provide. I’ve never dove near Key West so no knowledge about that area.
If you are in Islamorada, go to Lorelei’s for sunset dinner and drinks. Have a bushwhacker.

Yeah, yeah bushwackers ar a good thang, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1302 on: December 20, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »

Yeah, yeah bushwackers ar a good thang, hey?

Ya gotta see what Lorelei has to whack, hey.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1303 on: December 20, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
Keys vacation housing pricing has gotten insanely outrageous. Not sure why. We looked at off season and couldn't find anything under a grand a night. There was a lovely waterfront for only $6k a night. Since mrs pbiflyer was over my shoulder, I did not inquire about the SI swimsuit model orgies.  ;D

ETA: Since you are on Big Pine, drop into the NoName Pub. Good dive bar. Better before the internet and became popular, but still a Big Pine tradition.

My friend can work from home so he rented a small house for a month.  If you do it that way it's pretty reasonable but everything is generally expensive.  They also try to rob you if attempt to use Hilton or Marriott points.  The Curio/Hilton resort in Key Largo is like 200000 pts a night in Jan.  WTF?  It seems like Big Pine is just fine but I dunno.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: December 20, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »
Depending on where you are talking about. Pennekamp? Snorkeling is fine.
Islamorada or other places further down? Diving is better.
Plus personal preference. Snorkeling easier, cheaper,  You can obviously observe better diving. Turtles and nurse sharks tuck under ledges and are easier to see on air.
Plus there are a couple wrecks you can only get to diving. I’m not a big wreck diver fan, but most are.
Let me know where and I’ll see what insight I can provide. I’ve never dove near Key West so no knowledge about that area.
If you are in Islamorada, go to Lorelei’s for sunset dinner and drinks. Have a bushwhacker.

Second Lorelei's.

Last winter we did a party boat to go fishing.  Extremely reasonable, especially compared to chartering a boat.  This is the one we took:

https://www.budnmarys.com/find-a-charter/party-fishing-boat/

Best part is that you can take your catch next door to this place and they will cook it for you and serve it with all the sides:

https://www.lazydaysislamorada.com/lazy-days-will-cook-your-catch/

Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: December 20, 2021, 10:53:28 AM »
Second Lorelei's.

Last winter we did a party boat to go fishing.  Extremely reasonable, especially compared to chartering a boat.  This is the one we took:

https://www.budnmarys.com/find-a-charter/party-fishing-boat/

Best part is that you can take your catch next door to this place and they will cook it for you and serve it with all the sides:

https://www.lazydaysislamorada.com/lazy-days-will-cook-your-catch/

Thank you for the suggestions!  The party-fishing boat sounds like an excellent idea  What's the prime eating fish down there?  Grouper?  Yellowtail?  I have no interest in paying a fortune to go and catch a mammoth fish..  Although sailfish are cool as hell. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: December 20, 2021, 02:11:26 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions!  The party-fishing boat sounds like an excellent idea  What's the prime eating fish down there?  Grouper?  Yellowtail?  I have no interest in paying a fortune to go and catch a mammoth fish..  Although sailfish are cool as hell.

There are all types of fish, including yellowtail, grunts and grouper. Glow even caught a remora (it got thrown back).

But yeah, you aren't going to catch a marlin on one of these trips.  It's more like the ocean equivalent of pan fishing.
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1307 on: December 20, 2021, 03:08:52 PM »
Fresh. Whatever they catch that day, but grouper and yellowtail are the most common and both tasty. Dolphin (mahi, not flipper) is also popular and good.
Order fish dip (smoked fish) somewhere. It is a Florida version of chips and salsa.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1308 on: December 20, 2021, 05:29:49 PM »
Fresh. Whatever they catch that day, but grouper and yellowtail are the most common and both tasty. Dolphin (mahi, not flipper) is also popular and good.
Order fish dip (smoked fish) somewhere. It is a Florida version of chips and salsa.

Tyvm.  I will also have to buy some stone crab claws.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1309 on: December 20, 2021, 06:37:48 PM »

Tyvm.  I will also have to buy some stone crab claws.

This place is great for both stone crab claws and fish dip.  Good craft beer selection as well. 

Glow and I found it when we got to our VRBO late and this was the only place open near where we were staying.

https://www.facebook.com/marbartavernier/

Most of the patrons we met were boat owners at the marina where this place is located.  We met a guy from Seattle who was using his vacation paddleboard from Miami to Key West.  Fun place.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1310 on: December 20, 2021, 08:07:03 PM »
This place is great for both stone crab claws and fish dip.  Good craft beer selection as well. 

Glow and I found it when we got to our VRBO late and this was the only place open near where we were staying.

https://www.facebook.com/marbartavernier/

Most of the patrons we met were boat owners at the marina where this place is located.  We met a guy from Seattle who was using his vacation paddleboard from Miami to Key West.  Fun place.

Sweet!  I was seeing if I could find a seafood market to get a lb or 2 of claws.  Stone crab is no joke.  Plus they regenerate their claws.  :)  I think you can only get them in Florida or the Caribbean. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1311 on: December 21, 2021, 10:09:54 AM »
Okay, decided on Barbados in March (Just bought my cricket tickets).

Recommendations on places to stay in Bridgetown, preferably closer to the stadium and non-cricket activities to do.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: December 21, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »
Okay, decided on Barbados in March (Just bought my cricket tickets).

Recommendations on places to stay in Bridgetown, preferably closer to the stadium and non-cricket activities to do.

1) Oistins Fish Fry on a Friday night. (you can go any night, but it’s the thing on Fridays) South Coast. This is a must stop for any visitor. Dover Beach is near here.

2) Tiki Bar, Rockley Beach. (My friends own this bar) It’s a casual beach bar. Great people.

3) Earthworks Pottery. It’s a little bit off of the beaten path and random, in St. Thomas. But, it’s worth your time.

4) Catamarans for half a day, snorkeling, etc..popular. There are several to choose from.

5) Walk the Barbados Boardwalk. This is a few miles South of Bridgetown towards Accra.

6) St. Lawrenece Gap or “The Gap.” Some nightlife with bars and restaurants. Saturdays at McBride’s. It’s in between Oistins and Hastings. Cafe Sol (Mexican) is a long time favorite and a good place to eat in that area.

7) Casual lunch “Just Grillin”

8) Harbour Lights is a night in itself, BBQ, entertainment. (Mondays and Wednesdays.) St. Michael.

I’d stay in either St. James Parish (probably most convenient for your trip) (Bridgetown) or Christ Church Parish. (probably my favorite Parish) There are lots of choices. Do you prefer a local place or a big chain, points, etc…? Many of the places above are in these areas.

Holetown has some good places for dining and night life as well. St. James. This is also where some of the 5 star resorts are located, Sandy Lane etc…

All beaches in Barbados are public.

Some of the East side of Barbados is more rugged nature cave and rock formations, rougher water, and less developed. Bigger wave surfing etc..

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1313 on: December 24, 2021, 12:48:17 AM »
Planning a Trip to Qatar for the World Cup in November. Any tips?

Flights are close to $2K per person round trip Chicago to Doha. Should we expect that to drop?

We’re pretty experienced travelers but never have ventured to an event quite this big. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: December 24, 2021, 01:16:26 AM »

Flights are close to $2K per person round trip Chicago to Doha. Should we expect that to drop?

We’re pretty experienced travelers but never have ventured to an event quite this big.

Tip: They won't have enough beer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1315 on: December 24, 2021, 08:10:37 AM »

If ur plannin' on gettin' covid, get it in da U.S.A., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1316 on: December 24, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »
Tip: They won't have enough beer.

I saw that they are permitting alcohol for tourists and setting up pop up bars, but yes it won’t be a trip that includes heavy drinking.

Thinking about maybe a week in Doha with a few days in Dubai/Abu Dhabi.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1317 on: December 24, 2021, 03:25:10 PM »
Qatar is a pretty cool place but has limited hotels so make sure you do the hotel booking right away.  My favorite is the oldest one... the Sheraton right on the bay.  Great gym and great service.  Do one of the 4WD dunes trips... they are great.  Don't watch any youtube videos of same beforehand!

One thing to remember... in November, the evening temperature can get down to 19-21C, and it seems like there's always a breeze.  Make sure you take a sweater to evening matches. 

As for booze, even some 5 star hotels don't have liquor licenses!   I went to a great Indian restaurant in a 5 star hotel and got some great authentic spicy stuff and wanted a cold Kingfisher to wash it down... nada, nichts, nyet, no!  sparkling water just doesn't cut it!

Similar to Dubai, being drunk is a crime.  Drinking is not.  So mind your P's and Q's and you'll have a great time. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: December 24, 2021, 08:44:15 PM »
Qatar is a pretty cool place but has limited hotels so make sure you do the hotel booking right away.  My favorite is the oldest one... the Sheraton right on the bay.  Great gym and great service.  Do one of the 4WD dunes trips... they are great.  Don't watch any youtube videos of same beforehand!

One thing to remember... in November, the evening temperature can get down to 19-21C, and it seems like there's always a breeze.  Make sure you take a sweater to evening matches. 

As for booze, even some 5 star hotels don't have liquor licenses!   I went to a great Indian restaurant in a 5 star hotel and got some great authentic spicy stuff and wanted a cold Kingfisher to wash it down... nada, nichts, nyet, no!  sparkling water just doesn't cut it!

Similar to Dubai, being drunk is a crime.  Drinking is not.  So mind your P's and Q's and you'll have a great time.

Hard pass

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1319 on: January 04, 2022, 02:28:18 PM »
Anyone ever sold a hotel reservation using a reputable site/app?

Going to Maui next month for a week with most of my extended family. My brother & his wife are probably not going because their daughter is 4 and can’t get vaccinated yet.

The rooms we have booked have doubled in price since we booked. Figured rather than canceling my brother’s room, might be able to make money off it.

Thanks in advance!

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1320 on: January 05, 2022, 07:39:56 PM »
Scoop Friends,
I find myself in Belgrade, Serbia for the next 4 days.  Any advice on good restaurants or things to do from the scoop travel world?
Thanks
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1321 on: January 05, 2022, 07:52:40 PM »
Unfortunately Red Star Belgrade doesn’t have a home match otherwise that would be my reco.  Just an unreal environment

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: January 05, 2022, 07:59:53 PM »
WarriorFan

Had one of my best weeks of my life in Belgrade. Was there 25 years ago and wish I could offer some insight, but thoroughly loved it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1323 on: January 05, 2022, 08:07:43 PM »
Dey must have strips joints, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1324 on: January 05, 2022, 08:26:01 PM »
Unfortunately Red Star Belgrade doesn’t have a home match otherwise that would be my reco.  Just an unreal environment
Actually their basketball team does play Friday night and that's a strong possibility if we can figure out how to get tickets.  Can't find anything on the web so far.