[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 206417 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1250 on: December 03, 2021, 07:23:06 AM »
So anyways about Ireland tips... assume I've done everything in Galway, Mayo Cork, and Dublin.

I'm not sure if you can count In America?
But clearly you can if you're throwing in The Departed.

Teal means sarcasm on this board

Rudy?

Would've been a great one to add to my sarcasm list.

No love for Once?! WTF.

Fun fact, Waking Ned Devine wasn’t actually filmed in Ireland

Now that damn song is stuck in my head again thanks for that.

I did not know that, where was it filmed?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: December 03, 2021, 07:36:36 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: December 03, 2021, 08:13:02 AM »
The Commitments.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: December 03, 2021, 08:21:06 AM »
I did not know that, where was it filmed?

Isle of Man I believe.  So still Ireland adjacent

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: December 03, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »
I’m on a brand new 737 Max 8 on United, and it’s ridiculously nice. I haven’t been this impressed by a domestic plane in a while (I have very low expectations though).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: December 03, 2021, 05:39:10 PM »
I’m on a brand new 737 Max 8 on United, and it’s ridiculously nice. I haven’t been this impressed by a domestic plane in a while (I have very low expectations though).

What about it by chance? I’ve tried to avoid them for obvious reasons out of vague superstition.  But United has done a very nice job with their domestic redesigns

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: December 03, 2021, 06:33:46 PM »
What about it by chance? I’ve tried to avoid them for obvious reasons out of vague superstition.  But United has done a very nice job with their domestic redesigns

Full size screen in the seat back, with hundreds of options. Finally Bluetooth capable entertainment as well. Maybe because it’s such a new plane, but seat itself (economy plus) is quite comfortable and feels like it has extra inch or two of legroom.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: December 03, 2021, 06:49:18 PM »
Full size screen in the seat back, with hundreds of options. Finally Bluetooth capable entertainment as well. Maybe because it’s such a new plane, but seat itself (economy plus) is quite comfortable and feels like it has extra inch or two of legroom.

Is it the nice new touch screen?  Cause thats a game changer.  So annoying to use the bad seatback TVs and then take a flight on Lufthansa or ANA or another foreign carrier and see new touch screens even in normal economy.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: December 03, 2021, 07:24:20 PM »
Is it the nice new touch screen?  Cause thats a game changer.  So annoying to use the bad seatback TVs and then take a flight on Lufthansa or ANA or another foreign carrier and see new touch screens even in normal economy.

Yes, it’s the new one’s. Screen takes up 80% of the seat back, very intuitive. I was surprised at the amount of quality content too. I only flew from DFW to IAH (getting segments in to keep Gold), but even the flight itself was smooth, and cabin noise was nil.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1259 on: December 04, 2021, 11:17:59 AM »

What was the route? I am about to start at least monthly trips to NYC from ORD. Want to know if I should be picking LGA or EWR.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: December 04, 2021, 12:42:48 PM »
What was the route? I am about to start at least monthly trips to NYC from ORD. Want to know if I should be picking LGA or EWR.

Off the top of my head, I'd probably say LGA cause ORD-EWR is more bigger plane positioning from hub to hub where I assume they are using the MAXs for domestic focused routes

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: December 04, 2021, 02:43:41 PM »

It was DFW to IAH.

I’d lean LGA (since the renovation). But the train from EWR to Manhattan is convenient.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: December 04, 2021, 03:12:13 PM »
It was DFW to IAH.

I’d lean LGA (since the renovation). But the train from EWR to Manhattan is convenient.

EWR is fine if you’re flying into/out of Terminal C.  A is just a mess. 

But the train is great.  I have multiple friends and associates who are black car all the time kind of people who take the train cause of how quick and efficient it is, especially if you’re going to Midtown for work

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: December 05, 2021, 08:16:57 PM »
Off the top of my head, I'd probably say LGA cause ORD-EWR is more bigger plane positioning from hub to hub where I assume they are using the MAXs for domestic focused routes

LGA renovation is great and most of the renovation is wayyyyy ahead of schedule and supposed to open Spring 2022.  No train.  There is a bus to Grand Central Terminal that I've taken before to catch a train back to Connecticut.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: December 06, 2021, 09:46:23 AM »
The only problem is you basically need to stand in the hallway to pee, the toilets are so small. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1265 on: December 06, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »
Dat's bin dunn befour, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: December 07, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
Anyone with previous United status get auto-renewed for 2022 without actually qualifying?  I saw a few blog posts in the last few days that they selectively re-upped a bunch of people, across different status levels (Gold back to Gold, 1K to 1K, etc...)

I actually re-qualified for 1K as of 11/30, but I'm not salty.  They ran a promotion that was basically spend $3K between July-Nov and I'd re qualify for my 1K, which is a steal.  I had to take a $250 flight from MKE to ORD to meet my wife who concurrently drove down for our flight to Europe, but I'll take it!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1267 on: December 09, 2021, 11:36:56 AM »
Driving to Lexington KY this weekend with the family.  Our son is running in a USA TRack & Field event so we won't have a great amount of time to sightsee but we will have late Friday afternoon & evening + Saturday afternoon & Saturday night.

Would love any suggestions on:

- Good Italian (Carbo load myth is fun)[/li][/list]
- Place to watch MU-UCLA
- Place to watch Kentucky-Notre Dame & eat
- Good restaurants in general
- Liquor store that sells Weller, Col Taylor or even Buffalo Trace (we're driving from Milwaukee so any tips along the way welcome, as well)

TIA!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: December 09, 2021, 12:35:27 PM »
    Driving to Lexington KY this weekend with the family.  Our son is running in a USA TRack & Field event so we won't have a great amount of time to sightsee but we will have late Friday afternoon & evening + Saturday afternoon & Saturday night.

Would love any suggestions on:

- Good Italian (Carbo load myth is fun)[/li][/list]
    - Place to watch MU-UCLA
    - Place to watch Kentucky-Notre Dame & eat
    - Good restaurants in general
    - Liquor store that sells Weller, Col Taylor or even Buffalo Trace (we're driving from Milwaukee so any tips along the way welcome, as well)

TIA!

Whatever morning you have time, be at Buffalo Trace around 9:45am. It's less than 40 minutes from Lexington. You'll be able to snag one of ETH/ER/Weller/Blantons per person at MSRP. Then you can buy as much Buffalo Trace or Bourbon Cream as you like.

Goodwood Brewing in Frankfort was a good spot for food and sports on televisions if you want to hit that up after Buffalo Trace.

Lexington, the distillery district is cool. Lots of food and booze options. Joe Bologna's in Lexington will have the pasta, along with every other Eye-talian specialty.

If Kentucky Native Cafe is still open for the season, check it out.

shoothoops

• All American
    « Reply #1269 on: December 09, 2021, 02:13:51 PM »
    LGA renovation is great and most of the renovation is wayyyyy ahead of schedule and supposed to open Spring 2022.  No train.  There is a bus to Grand Central Terminal that I've taken before to catch a train back to Connecticut.

Or you can take the bus to the subway or LIRR in Queens, and, then take one of those into Manhattan as well.
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:16:37 PM by shoothoops »

The Lens

• All American
    « Reply #1270 on: December 09, 2021, 04:03:39 PM »
      Whatever morning you have time, be at Buffalo Trace around 9:45am. It's less than 40 minutes from Lexington. You'll be able to snag one of ETH/ER/Weller/Blantons per person at MSRP. Then you can buy as much Buffalo Trace or Bourbon Cream as you like.

Goodwood Brewing in Frankfort was a good spot for food and sports on televisions if you want to hit that up after Buffalo Trace.

Lexington, the distillery district is cool. Lots of food and booze options. Joe Bologna's in Lexington will have the pasta, along with every other Eye-talian specialty.

If Kentucky Native Cafe is still open for the season, check it out.
    Thank you!  I think we'll swing by BT on the way home Sunday.  Gift shop opens at 11:30am on Sundays, so 11:15am arrival should work?[/list]
    The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
    « Reply #1271 on: December 09, 2021, 07:32:04 PM »
    Anyone with previous United status get auto-renewed for 2022 without actually qualifying?  I saw a few blog posts in the last few days that they selectively re-upped a bunch of people, across different status levels (Gold back to Gold, 1K to 1K, etc...)

I actually re-qualified for 1K as of 11/30, but I'm not salty.  They ran a promotion that was basically spend $3K between July-Nov and I'd re qualify for my 1K, which is a steal.  I had to take a $250 flight from MKE to ORD to meet my wife who concurrently drove down for our flight to Europe, but I'll take it!

✋. Silver. 2 segments in 2021, haha.

🏀

• All American
    « Reply #1272 on: December 09, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
      Thank you!  I think we'll swing by BT on the way home Sunday.  Gift shop opens at 11:30am on Sundays, so 11:15am arrival should work?[/list]

Should be fine.

dgies9156

• All American
      « Reply #1273 on: December 11, 2021, 08:01:21 PM »
      ✋. Silver. 2 segments in 2021, haha.

1K. Met the segment requirement.

jesmu84

• All American
      « Reply #1274 on: December 14, 2021, 05:28:25 PM »
      Wedding in Ireland this summer. Looking for flight info. Options out of Indy:

- American
      - Delta
      - United
      - Aer Lingus
      - Air Canada

Any suggestions? Really looking into comfort, amenities, quality. These all have prices about the same. Planning economy/economy plus

feedback