[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by MU82
[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 197927 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #825 on: May 29, 2021, 07:29:09 AM »
If you've never been to Tuscany, you'll love it.  Its my favorite place in Italy Ive been by far.  And Venice with limited to sparse tourism sounds DIVINE.  If only cutting out the cruise traffic, it could become a radically different trip.

As for the 747, enjoy!  Its crazy the shift.  Flying roughly 75 international legs in the last 5 years pre-Covid, I think I was on a single 747 flight, maybe 2.  And both were accidental, a Lufthansa rebook and a trip through Tokyo due to delays messing up a direct to HK.  One of my goals leading into 2020 was trying to find a way into an upper deck business class seat on a 747 given their rapid retirement.  My Dad's trips, usually to Narita, in that class are highlights in his extensive world travel.  Now I'm realizing Im probably gonna be SOL.  Ive actually never flown an A380 either come to think of it.  Neither my ANA or Lufthansa flights have been on one and an Etihad flight had an equipment change due to low volume when I flew Shanghai to Abu Dhabi a few years back.

Smiling... am looking forward to it.

By the way, our seat assignments are in business class on the upper deck of the 747-8. Assuming, of course, no equipment change.

-------

One of our favorite 747 stories ever happened about 27 years ago in Hawaii. We were out there for two weeks on vacation at the same time as a high school cheerleader convocation. The cheerleaders were in downtown Honolulu and made big news when they turned on their hairdryers, curlers and curling irons kinda simultaneously and blew out power to a six block section of downtown.

Anyway, these cheerleaders had to get home. We were on a 747-200 of United Airlines and waiting in the Red Carpet Club (aka, United Club) when 250 cheerleaders showed up, noisily, at the gate. They all checked in for the trip back to Chicago on United 2 when a stream of frequent flyers, many of whom were 1Ks, raced for the podium and asked for upgrades. As one of the cheerleaders yelled out, "Slumber Party," the gate agent said "I'm sorry, we are sold out... over and over again."

As I watched this scene unfold, I looked at Ms. Dgies and simply said, "you know, we would make an awful lot of money tonight!" Ms. Dgies had the "if looks could kill" look on her face and simply said, "NO... AND I MEAN  NO!!!!!!"
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 08:41:20 AM by dgies9156 »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #826 on: May 29, 2021, 10:57:37 AM »
Too funny!

If you haven’t been to Tuscany before, you are in for a treat. Make sure at some point you find a outdoor cafe with a view, have a glass of wine and enjoy the view, watch life go by.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #827 on: May 29, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »
Yeah, but too many people take that farther than they probably should.

I read somewhere that the typical family spends more on vacations in a given year than they put into the kids' college funds.

No Bueno.

My European colleagues would think the above statement is insane. They think travel and experience is an education all on its own. But then again, their college costs are a trifle. Sadly, not at all the case in the US.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #828 on: May 29, 2021, 12:43:24 PM »
My European colleagues would think the above statement is insane. They think travel and experience is an education all on its own. But then again, their college costs are a trifle. Sadly, not at all the case in the US.

Vacation and travel aren't necessarily the same thing. I would hardly call a week at Disney World or laying on the beach in the Florida Panhandle educational.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #829 on: May 29, 2021, 12:53:30 PM »
Vacation and travel aren't necessarily the same thing. I would hardly call a week at Disney World or laying on the beach in the Florida Panhandle educational.

Good point.  I do think though that many would argue a college education today, especially when you consider the costs,  isn't worth the investment. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #830 on: May 29, 2021, 03:32:29 PM »

That I wholeheartedly agree with!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #831 on: May 29, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »
I didn’t think anything of the cost statement I made. For our family, we try to take as many trips as possible, in part to get our kids exposed to the world. In my job I travel often, so it helps with miles/points. I have my kids keep track of how many states they’ve been to (they’re 11 and 7 and have hit 25 states already). But within that, we’ve tried teaching them about geography/history/etc of where they are at.

Just two weeks ago, we were in the Quad Cities for my son’s travel tournament. It was arguably the most fun we’ve had as a family on a trip, ever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #832 on: May 30, 2021, 08:56:13 AM »
I didn’t think anything of the cost statement I made. For our family, we try to take as many trips as possible, in part to get our kids exposed to the world. In my job I travel often, so it helps with miles/points. I have my kids keep track of how many states they’ve been to (they’re 11 and 7 and have hit 25 states already). But within that, we’ve tried teaching them about geography/history/etc of where they are at.

Just two weeks ago, we were in the Quad Cities for my son’s travel tournament. It was arguably the most fun we’ve had as a family on a trip, ever.

Great stuff, Dish. I also traveled a lot for work. When I could, I brought the family along; even though I couldn't spend much time with them, my wife and kids got to explore while I worked. Or we'd all go a few days before I had to start working and spend that time together; then they'd go home and I'd stay. It was a valuable part of their learning experience. Plus, as you said, I built up significant FF miles and Marriott points, which were very useful for "real" family vacations to Europe, Cali, Arizona, etc.

I especially love your last paragraph.

We once went on a great driving vacation from Chicago to Toronto to Montreal to Quebec City to Maine to Boston to Easton, Pa. On our last two stops, we stayed a few days each with friends who had kids roughly the same age as ours. On our way back home from Easton, we asked the kids what their favorite parts of the trip were, expecting them to say Montreal or Quebec, but both said that while they loved those spots it was Boston and Easton because they got to have fun sightseeing, playing basketball, going out to eat, etc, with the other kids.

A couple years earlier, we went to Disney World for a few days and then went to the Boca Raton area to stay a week with my parents; again, the kids loved Disney, obviously, but they said they loved being with grandma and grandpa even more.

So it's both experiences and, perhaps even more importantly, the people you get to share them with.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #833 on: May 30, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »

Must have been the family experience. I spent the first four years of my career in the Quad Cities and I can vouch for the fact that I wouldn’t go out of my way to go back. But with a family together, even the Quad Cities looks good.

That said, I’ve had wonderful family experiences with our children in off the beaten path places as well. My daughter, wife and I went to Solon Springs, WI (near Superior) to close up my late parents home before we sold it. For my family, it was a nice way to say goodbye to an important part of our lives.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #834 on: May 30, 2021, 11:51:40 AM »

This. If you do vacations right, they can be great educational experiences. While my kids have only been to 14 states, they have been to 14 countries. My daughter’s history teacher throws up pictures of places throughout the world and often it’s been places she’s been to. When she was 13 and we were visiting London, she wanted to visit the deli associated with Sherlock Holmes series at the time. I said fine, but you have to figure out how to get us there from our AirBnB on the other side of the city and navigate it. She did with a route that took us through Kings Cross, so that she could check off the Harry Potter thing as well.
The amount of confidence that gave her was amazing. Though now, she is lobbying to visit her friend in London on her own. 
The experiences, both large and small, are the things they talk about. They have friends around the world that they met during travels that they talk to regularly.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #835 on: May 30, 2021, 11:55:40 AM »

My European colleagues think only a week anywhere isn’t a real vacation. They are confused why we would spend such a short time in a place. They tend to spend three to four weeks in a place. Sadly not a realistic option for most Americans. I remember the grief I got for a three+ week vacation a few years ago.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #836 on: June 01, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »
My European colleagues think only a week anywhere isn’t a real vacation. They are confused why we would spend such a short time in a place. They tend to spend three to four weeks in a place. Sadly not a realistic option for most Americans. I remember the grief I got for a three+ week vacation a few years ago.

Funny you say that. Went to a wedding this weekend, was in the actual wedding party, gave two months notice that I wasn’t going to be at work this weekend, and still got flack/had a hard time taking days off because it was a busy weekend at work.

Absolutely silly.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #837 on: June 01, 2021, 03:08:39 PM »

I'd hardly call a week at Disney a vacation either.

Maybe a week of penance to lessen time in purgatory, but not a vacation.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:10:40 PM by Coleman »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #838 on: June 02, 2021, 10:00:52 PM »
I'd hardly call a week at Disney a vacation either.

Maybe a week of penance to lessen time in purgatory, but not a vacation.

Brother Coleman, I'd go a step further. A week at Disney amounts to as Get Out of Hell Free card.

I reside in Florida. While I appreciate the impact Disney has on our state, the thought of actually going there is about as appealing as eight hours of back surgery followed by a week flat on my back, all the while undergoing a simultaneous root canal and colonoscopy, neither with anesthesia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #839 on: June 02, 2021, 10:27:12 PM »
Disney would be great if not for the people at Disney  :D I appreciate different parts of it returning their as an adult, but good lord the crowds are awful.  Not just in number, but in many other ways.

Tangentially related, Epcot.  Does anyone actually know what all the space above and around the buildings and villages in the various country setups in the World Showcase contain?  Is it just storage? Offices?  I thought of it looking above the shops and pubs in the UK section, but then also all the space in France and Japan as well.  So many of the buildings are multiple stories yet only the first floor is exhibit use

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #840 on: June 03, 2021, 07:18:31 AM »
Disney would be great if not for the people at Disney  :D I appreciate different parts of it returning their as an adult, but good lord the crowds are awful.  Not just in number, but in many other ways.

Tangentially related, Epcot.  Does anyone actually know what all the space above and around the buildings and villages in the various country setups in the World Showcase contain?  Is it just storage? Offices?  I thought of it looking above the shops and pubs in the UK section, but then also all the space in France and Japan as well.  So many of the buildings are multiple stories yet only the first floor is exhibit use

Disney is a lot of fun if you go while school is in session.  I think the upper portions of the buildings are for show only.  They're designed with perspective in mind to look bigger than they are... but I think they are empty/storage.  My guess is they are empty now considering how much storage exists at Disney.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #841 on: June 03, 2021, 08:05:02 AM »
Disney is a lot of fun if you go while school is in session.

I think that this is the key. Years ago, we took our kids out of school for a week and went to Disney World. It was not crowded and it was a lot of fun. I think another thing that can make it much more enjoyable is to have enough time so you don't feel the need to cram everything into your day. We had a full week so we'd get up and go to a park in the morning; return to the hotel for pool/nap time in the early afternoon; and then spend a couple hours in a park in the evening. It really was a great and memorable trip.  Several years later when we happened to be in Orlando for a volleyball tournament we crammed Universal into a single day. Even though certain aspects of it were fun, it was kind of miserable. In an effort to see/try/ride everything we kind of ruined the experience.

Another thing about our Disney vacation...we surprised the kids. We woke them up in the morning and told them we were going...they had no idea.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #842 on: June 03, 2021, 10:48:26 AM »

A lot of those multi story building in Disney are just for show and the top floors are unusable.

Disney uses perspective tricks to make the buildings seem taller than they are. A lot of those upper floors aren’t actually normal height, but the design makes it seem taller than they actually are.

Kinda a Disney Park nerd so send all Disney Park questions this way.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #843 on: June 03, 2021, 10:55:07 AM »
So just gonna ask again before I head up there.

Any brewery or dive food suggestions for Minneapolis?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #844 on: June 03, 2021, 11:15:33 AM »
A lot of those multi story building in Disney are just for show and the top floors are unusable.

Disney uses perspective tricks to make the buildings seem taller than they are. A lot of those upper floors aren’t actually normal height, but the design makes it seem taller than they actually are.

Kinda a Disney Park nerd so send all Disney Park questions this way.

Makes sense.  I always figured that (besides maybe the second floors in some places).  It was always more whimsical thinking it would be cool/amusing for some park operations manager having their above the British pub or on the second floor of one of the Japanese pagodas.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #845 on: June 03, 2021, 11:32:00 AM »
So just gonna ask again before I head up there.

Any brewery or dive food suggestions for Minneapolis?

Here, I'll be controversial and get some of the MN guys fired up.

Go to Surly, get good beer, have a good time.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #846 on: June 03, 2021, 11:37:38 AM »

I expect there to be some surly responses to this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #847 on: June 03, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »
I say this with perspective that hopefully none of you are ever in this position. When my son was sick, he got a Make A Wish, and he used it on a Disney cruise. After the cruise, we stayed near Disney for a week. We were given passes to Disney/Universal/Sea World by some other charitable organizations. Each day we went to a park, we wore our Make A Wish shirts, and we got immediately to the front of the line of every ride. Not even Fast Pass front of line, like “you’re next” front of the line. Luckily my son is fine, and at the time I told my wife “we’ll never ever get a better Disney experience than this.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #848 on: June 03, 2021, 11:57:27 AM »

Might as well swing by New Glarus too.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #849 on: June 03, 2021, 12:01:04 PM »
Might as well swing by New Glarus too.

Closed till October.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback