collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199469 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #700 on: April 06, 2021, 07:57:08 PM »
DGies, now I see how you maintain that 28-inch waist!   ;D

My roadfood faves in no particular order (depends on the meal and what part of the country we are passing through)

Culvers - 'nuff said

Waffle House - a family breakfast tradition for our family on the way to visit my folks

Cracker Barrel - don't @ me - I grew up a few miles from the original restaurant and the food is pretty damn authentic, given it's a chain - right down to the salty cornbread muffins and the sweet tea.  Also - you can get Goo Goo Clusters in the gift shop.

A&W - good root beer, decent burgers

Captain D's - another childhood memory - 100X  better than Long John Silver's - best fast food fish I have had besides Culver's

I know I don't have many healthy options here, but that's why it's called vacation.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #701 on: April 06, 2021, 08:40:45 PM »
Arby's.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #702 on: April 06, 2021, 08:52:17 PM »
Arby's.

The topic is quick eats. Not fine dining.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #703 on: April 06, 2021, 10:34:13 PM »
Recently spent a 2 week holiday in Dubai.  It's one of the few places that's "open".  It was never one of my desired holiday places after many business trips there's so I went with low expectations.  Had to do some "medical tourism" and decided to make a holiday of it.

Result:
- very tight COVID controls.  Masks mandatory everywhere, even walking outside
- PCR test on arrival at airport
- JBR area is really nice and walking with a mask is not the end of the world
- Restaurants were also strict
- all attractions were open.  Nothing crowded.
- Within the resort was more relaxed - no masks required in pool and beach areas

Overall it was nice.  Much better than expected. 

Also, it has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #704 on: April 06, 2021, 11:39:07 PM »
Recently spent a 2 week holiday in Dubai.  It's one of the few places that's "open".  It was never one of my desired holiday places after many business trips there's so I went with low expectations.  Had to do some "medical tourism" and decided to make a holiday of it.

Result:
- very tight COVID controls.  Masks mandatory everywhere, even walking outside
- PCR test on arrival at airport
- JBR area is really nice and walking with a mask is not the end of the world
- Restaurants were also strict
- all attractions were open.  Nothing crowded.
- Within the resort was more relaxed - no masks required in pool and beach areas

Overall it was nice.  Much better than expected. 

Also, it has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world.

I have a couple work associates that live there and for all the annoyances that come with strict rule, it is beneficial in a time like this.  Less than 10MM in population, tons of money, tons of oversight, basically a template for how to be well resourced to deal with something like this.

Related, the first time I was ever in the UAE, I went through customs in Abu Dhabi.  They are very easy and once you’ve been to Dubai or AD or Sharjah, you’re in the system and you can use E-Gates without further registration.  Well I hadn’t and I went to the counter.  The agent was so surprised and seemingly exasperated that He actually needed to manually clear someone that he made me feel like a massive inconvenience.  Fortunately he was very nice and quick

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #705 on: April 07, 2021, 11:17:55 AM »
Maui:

Mama's Fish House was the best fish I've ever eaten in my life. Be sure to book your reservation early.

Second the rec of Star Noodle.

People raved to us about Monkeypod. It was good, I'd go back, but seemed like I was missing something--it was just a solid restaurant.

Paia Fish Market is great for a casual meal.

We did about 2/3 of the Road to Hana and turned around. Seemed sufficient to me. Best advice is go early early--can't imagine if we were stuck in a parade that whole drive.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #706 on: April 07, 2021, 11:38:31 AM »
Heading to Savannah with my fiancé for 3 days at the end of May. I've never been. Any recommendations?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #707 on: April 07, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »
Heading to Savannah with my fiancé for 3 days at the end of May. I've never been. Any recommendations?

Mrs. Wilkes

Alligator Soul

Planter's Tavern

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #708 on: April 07, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »

My family likes:
The Pirates House Restaurant  (Chapter 1 of RL Stevenson's Treasure Island takes place in this house.)
Moon River Brewing Company
Visit Chippewa Square to see the famous Forrest Gump film spot.  There is no bus stop bench there.  It was added for the movie.
We've taken a Savannah Ghost Tours which was a lot of fun.
Savannah offers those trolley tours that take will cover all the key points of the city.
I like morning runs, so I can visit all the squares around town and Forsyth Park.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #709 on: April 07, 2021, 12:33:48 PM »
My family likes:
The Pirates House Restaurant  (Chapter 1 of RL Stevenson's Treasure Island takes place in this house.)

Not to call you out, but I don't think this is true.  I know the restaurant has pages from an early version of the book in the restaurant (maybe on the walls I think) but RLS was Scottish and the start of Treasure Island is near the Bristol Channel in England

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #710 on: April 07, 2021, 02:48:34 PM »

The haunted bar tour is fun. Pro tip. Do not pre-game. You get a drink at each bar.  ;D

The Old Pink House is a great restaurant, especially if you can get a window seat up stairs.
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59a7470e6f4ca3ff9e4ef513/t/5f25d45244abb10a175a9d98/1596314707755/Screen+Shot+2020-08-01+at+4.44.22+PM.png

Tour the cemetery. Timely, in that tons of Spanish Flu epidemic victims are buried there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:50:36 PM by pbiflyer »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #711 on: April 07, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »
Not to call you out, but I don't think this is true.  I know the restaurant has pages from an early version of the book in the restaurant (maybe on the walls I think) but RLS was Scottish and the start of Treasure Island is near the Bristol Channel in England

https://thepirateshouse.com/history/

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #712 on: April 07, 2021, 02:57:08 PM »
Mrs. Wilkes

Alligator Soul

Planter's Tavern
The Olde Pink House blows away Planter's Tavern!  ;D   

Nice choices!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #713 on: April 07, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
The Olde Pink House blows away Planter's Tavern!  ;D   

Nice choices!

The Olde Pink is excellent as well.  I had a really good meal at PT but my apologies.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #714 on: April 07, 2021, 03:13:13 PM »
https://thepirateshouse.com/history/

Yea, seems like some creative liberties by them  :D  All the "connections" or references to Savannah pertaining to RLS or TI come from Savannah tourism sources haha.

Regardless, its a cool spot and Savannah is a very very cool town

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #715 on: April 07, 2021, 03:21:18 PM »
Other than Paula Deen's joints, are there any bad restaurants or bars in Savannah?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #716 on: April 07, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
Other than Paula Deen's joints, are there any bad restaurants or bars in Savannah?

No.

Is her place still even open?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #717 on: April 07, 2021, 07:43:00 PM »
Going to the Big Island in May. 2 years of Chase Point Hoarding means vacation time.

Anyone ever been with recommendations?
But I like to throw handfuls...

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #718 on: April 07, 2021, 07:48:31 PM »
The Olde Pink is excellent as well.  I had a really good meal at PT but my apologies.

I was just kidding, because iirc, they have the same menu, share the same kitchen, don't they?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #719 on: April 07, 2021, 08:53:01 PM »
I was just kidding, because iirc, they have the same menu, share the same kitchen, don't they?

Oh....you're right!!  I guess my memory is failing.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #720 on: April 08, 2021, 09:34:11 PM »
DGies, now I see how you maintain that 28-inch waist!   ;D

My roadfood faves in no particular order (depends on the meal and what part of the country we are passing through)

Waffle House - a family breakfast tradition for our family on the way to visit my folks

Cracker Barrel - don't @ me - I grew up a few miles from the original restaurant and the food is pretty damn authentic, given it's a chain - right down to the salty cornbread muffins and the sweet tea.  Also - you can get Goo Goo Clusters

First of all, I’m flattered you noticed  ;D

Sorry, any chain restaurant that has two locations at every freeway interchange in the Southeast leaves me wondering. Not to mention that Waffle House fare scares me.

Cracker Barrel is a Nashville institution the way Minnie Pearl’s fried chicken is. Better known for how fast it comes out rather than how slow it goes in.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #721 on: April 08, 2021, 09:52:12 PM »
First of all, I’m flattered you noticed  ;D

Sorry, any chain restaurant that has two locations at every freeway interchange in the Southeast leaves me wondering. Not to mention that Waffle House fare scares me.

Cracker Barrel is a Nashville institution the way Minnie Pearl’s fried chicken is. Better known for how fast it comes out rather than how slow it goes in.

You can get a togo styrofoam cup of grits from Waffle House. At least you could 20 years ago. Grab a spoon, a pad of butter, and a packet of sugar and you're good to go!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #722 on: April 08, 2021, 10:07:47 PM »
You can get a togo styrofoam cup of grits from Waffle House. At least you could 20 years ago. Grab a spoon, a pad of butter, and a packet of sugar and you're good to go!

I lived in the southeast a long time, but not that long!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #723 on: April 09, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »
Going to the Big Island in May. 2 years of Chase Point Hoarding means vacation time.

The Big Island is absolutely amazing. You should have a blast.

Our whole family enjoyed a tour of a coffee plantation. There are several just a short drive south of the main resort area in Kona. We did the free tour of Greenwell Farms (https://www.greenwellfarms.com/big-island-kona-coffee-tours/), and had a great time.

Volcanos National Park is definitely worth a visit. Lots of excellent sights and walking areas. If you have a chance, take a walking tour into the Thurston Lava Tube. I believe we found out about that at the ranger station in the park.

Finally, if you enjoy horseback riding, there are many great places north of the Kona area. We did Painolo Adventures (https://www.panioloadventures.com/index.php) with our kids. I have also heard that Waipi’o on Horseback (https://waipioonhorseback.com/) is phenomenal (great trails into the lush Waipi’o Valley), but was afraid that the three-hour excursions might be a little long for our kids.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #724 on: April 09, 2021, 06:33:52 PM »

I have a close friend who has a house on the Big Island and I have been lucky enough to go almost every year the past decade.  There are wide ranges of activities and quite a bit to cover if you want to see everything.  Because some of these attractions are far apart you sort of have to pick and choose if you have limited time.  I could give you a number of suggestions but perhaps it would be best to send me a personal message.  I will just say point blank that while they are not close to the major resorts seeing the stars on top of Mauna Kea, the green sand beach, and the Waipio Valley are absolute must sees  along with the Volcanoes National Park.  Sadly you will not be there during whale season but you'll still have a blast. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:40:09 PM by MuggsyB »