collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198933 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 24, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
Wow I did not realize it was that far. Well he's determined to go so I guess I'll just get a nice afternoon nap in while he drives.

Thanks for the recommendations! Any local dive food joints you'd recommend? I know green chili is a staple but anything else?

Sticking near where you're staying:
You're walking distance to Sam's  #3 (there's several of them, and they're all #3).  Classic breakfast brunch place.  Their pork green chili is decent (I usually get something smothered with it)
Not far from Steuben's - American / retro cool place.
La Loma is ok for Mexican (not the best, but it's nearby)
Jax fish house is great seafood for a a land-locked place (used to have good happy hour deals too).
The Kitchen is trendy and people like it, not my style
Syrup - breakfast, but again mostly trendy IMO
As pbiflyer mentioned, the who Union station area is "fun" these days, several restaurants there now. Stop by Wynkoop brewing across the street while you're there "Colorado's first brewpub". (they have a green chili beer)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 04:12:22 PM by rocky_warrior »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #601 on: March 24, 2021, 04:17:56 PM »
Nice, thanks for the heads up! Any chance you remember any spots with good patios/beer gardens?

I don't remember any patios but there was a great bar called Pony Up in LoDo somewhere.   They have great craft beer places and Mexican food there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #602 on: March 24, 2021, 05:58:55 PM »
Everything is secondary to Casa Bonita

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #603 on: March 24, 2021, 06:09:46 PM »

Yup, I was surprised to find out it is a real place.

Have some patience, FFS.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #604 on: March 24, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »

If they were open (they aren't) I would absolutely recommend it.  It is very entertaining!  no kidding.

I've been twice, the second time maybe a little too close to the cliff divers (splash!).  But whatever, you're not there for the food anyway.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #605 on: March 24, 2021, 06:49:05 PM »
Lol I'll save that spot for bringing my kids out to meet his kids in a few years
Maigh Eo for Sam

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #606 on: March 24, 2021, 07:53:19 PM »
Denver recommendations? All that's planned is my 30th at El Five, beyond that I'm looking for breweries, good food, bars, hikes, maybe a spot with music.

I live in downtown Denver and am in the same age bracket. El Five is great -- make sure to ask for a table outside (views are KILLER). Breweries are easy: you can do a serious brewery crawl walking around RiNo. There are at least a dozen of them all within walking distance. Eat at Finn's Manor (food trucks and a bar in an Austin-style circle) while you're doing that. 

Bars: rooftop at Linger, patio at Avanti, Star Bar if you go to a Rockies game, 715 club for hipster drinking/dancing, the hipster bars along South Broadway (Sputnik is the best), the many dives along East Colfax (PS Lounge and Lost Lake)

Food: My Brother's Bar for both an old school dive and the best burgers in Denver, Tacos/Tequila/Whiskey (for hip Mexican, there are two of them, either works), Tavernetta for a nice lunch or dinner,  Bar Dough, Uncle (if you like Ramen)

Music: Go to Red Rocks. Doesn't matter who's playing. Just go. Otherwise, lots of breweries have bluegrass bands playing during the day and there are endless numbers of cool venues for live music in Denver at night.

Feel free to DM me for more specific stuff if you'd like.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #607 on: March 24, 2021, 07:58:26 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts about Italy in October 2021? Should I even bother? Should I drive or take trains? What do you think of Tuscany and the area north of Rome.

Any ideas on where to stay?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #608 on: March 24, 2021, 08:00:29 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts about Italy in October 2021? Should I even bother? Should I drive or take trains? What do you think of Tuscany and the area north of Rome.

Get trip insurance.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #609 on: March 24, 2021, 08:02:57 PM »
Get trip insurance.

The only thing we spend money on so far will be airline tickets. The total fare will be be about 4200 and I’ll burn through that in two months once travel starts again.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #610 on: March 24, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »

Tuscany is incredible.  Florence was a city I wasn’t lusting after as a destination that I left feeling super impressed.

Definitely avoid Pisa, wildly underwhelming and one of the worst airports I’ve had the misfortune of flying through.

Trains are the way to go.  I’ve take trains from Naples to Rome. Rome to Florence. Florence to Pisa.  Venice to Milan.  Easy breezy

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #611 on: March 24, 2021, 09:46:43 PM »
Get trip insurance.

Probably won't cover another covid outbreak.  Didn't last year when we were scheduled to go to Italy.  Just a heads up.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #612 on: March 24, 2021, 10:16:39 PM »
Tuscany is incredible.  Florence was a city I wasn’t lusting after as a destination that I left feeling super impressed.

Definitely avoid Pisa, wildly underwhelming and one of the worst airports I’ve had the misfortune of flying through.

Trains are the way to go.  I’ve take trains from Naples to Rome. Rome to Florence. Florence to Pisa.  Venice to Milan.  Easy breezy

Second all of this. Florence was incredible. Train ride from Florence to Roma Termini was a breeze.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #613 on: March 24, 2021, 10:56:26 PM »
Going on first work trip next week in over a year. Feels both weird and good. I wasn’t going to travel until I got at least one shot in the arm first. I know that’s not foolproof, but feel less anxious.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #614 on: March 24, 2021, 11:27:41 PM »
Going on first work trip next week in over a year. Feels both weird and good. I wasn’t going to travel until I got at least one shot in the arm first. I know that’s not foolproof, but feel less anxious.

Don't take United. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #615 on: March 24, 2021, 11:47:35 PM »
Probably won't cover another covid outbreak.  Didn't last year when we were scheduled to go to Italy.  Just a heads up.

You can get trip insurance that specifically covers Covid.  We got some for our upcoming trip to Maui.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #616 on: March 25, 2021, 12:14:52 AM »
You can get trip insurance that specifically covers Covid.  We got some for our upcoming trip to Maui.

No chit.

How much?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #617 on: March 25, 2021, 06:54:36 AM »

Trains 100%  Driving in Italy is a terrible experience.  Milan is boring, especially if you like history.

Florence is 10/10
Rome is 9/10
Venice is 9/10
Naples/Capri/Amalfi/Sorrento is my personal favorite, but it's not for everyone
Cinque Terra is also 9/10

Drink wine, eat off the main streets!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #618 on: March 25, 2021, 10:55:02 AM »
No chit.

How much?

Just like any other insurance, it depends on a lot of factors. It didn't seem to be much more than what I have paid in the past.

I went with a very popular travel insurance company and bought a plan with a Covid Rider.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #619 on: March 25, 2021, 10:57:21 AM »
I live in downtown Denver and am in the same age bracket. El Five is great -- make sure to ask for a table outside (views are KILLER). Breweries are easy: you can do a serious brewery crawl walking around RiNo. There are at least a dozen of them all within walking distance. Eat at Finn's Manor (food trucks and a bar in an Austin-style circle) while you're doing that. 

Bars: rooftop at Linger, patio at Avanti, Star Bar if you go to a Rockies game, 715 club for hipster drinking/dancing, the hipster bars along South Broadway (Sputnik is the best), the many dives along East Colfax (PS Lounge and Lost Lake)

Food: My Brother's Bar for both an old school dive and the best burgers in Denver, Tacos/Tequila/Whiskey (for hip Mexican, there are two of them, either works), Tavernetta for a nice lunch or dinner,  Bar Dough, Uncle (if you like Ramen)

Music: Go to Red Rocks. Doesn't matter who's playing. Just go. Otherwise, lots of breweries have bluegrass bands playing during the day and there are endless numbers of cool venues for live music in Denver at night.

Feel free to DM me for more specific stuff if you'd like.

Thanks a bunch for all these recommendations!
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #620 on: March 25, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »

Was in Maui in late Feb, was fantastic - especially with less crowds.  Heard it's picked up a bit since then (good for them).  Just make sure to carry your negative covid test printout everywhere (though mostly only lodging asks for it), take a screenshot of your Hawaii travel exempt status once you're processed at the airport (one place asked for that instead), and have fun!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:33:03 AM by rocky_warrior »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #621 on: March 25, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »
Trains 100%  Driving in Italy is a terrible experience.  Milan is boring, especially if you like history.

Florence is 10/10
Rome is 9/10
Venice is 9/10
Naples/Capri/Amalfi/Sorrento is my personal favorite, but it's not for everyone
Cinque Terra is also 9/10

Drink wine, eat off the main streets!

In 1997 my wife and I went to Naples/Capri/Pompei as part of our honeymoon.  We went to Poland first to have a second reception for the large group of my wife's friends and family who could not make the wedding.   I don't know why we picked, but it was tied into my desire to visit the ancestral place of my grandmother.

Here's where the fun with Italian trains come in.  The guidebook said 1 hour train ride from Rome to Naples.  Our train ride ended up taking just over 3 hours.  We did not realize there was the speed train and then there was the commuter train just like Metro North to NYC back home.  Was not spelled out very well in Rome. 
(Visiting Naples sure did explain a lot of personality things in the extended family.)

For the train back we made sure we were catching the speed train and it would give us time for a quick visit to Rome for like 5-6 hours.  We figured we could check in at the airport, drop off our luggage and train back to Rome.  That all ended before leaving Naples.  We got on on speed train.  It did not move.  We had to move to another train which turned out to be a commuter train.  A passenger on the train showed us the newspaper and explained there had been a train derailment and major accident in Rome the night before and all trains were stopping at the station before and busing people to the train terminal in Rome.  We ended up taking the last taxi from that station direct to the airport where we got stuck in a highway accident backup and our taxi driver ended up pulling in the emergency breakdown lane and driving 60 MPH in reverse to reach the previous exit ramp.  We did make our flight on time. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #622 on: March 25, 2021, 12:45:44 PM »
In 1997 my wife and I went to Naples/Capri/Pompei as part of our honeymoon.  We went to Poland first to have a second reception for the large group of my wife's friends and family who could not make the wedding.   I don't know why we picked, but it was tied into my desire to visit the ancestral place of my grandmother.

Here's where the fun with Italian trains come in.  The guidebook said 1 hour train ride from Rome to Naples.  Our train ride ended up taking just over 3 hours.  We did not realize there was the speed train and then there was the commuter train just like Metro North to NYC back home.  Was not spelled out very well in Rome. 
(Visiting Naples sure did explain a lot of personality things in the extended family.)

For the train back we made sure we were catching the speed train and it would give us time for a quick visit to Rome for like 5-6 hours.  We figured we could check in at the airport, drop off our luggage and train back to Rome.  That all ended before leaving Naples.  We got on on speed train.  It did not move.  We had to move to another train which turned out to be a commuter train.  A passenger on the train showed us the newspaper and explained there had been a train derailment and major accident in Rome the night before and all trains were stopping at the station before and busing people to the train terminal in Rome.  We ended up taking the last taxi from that station direct to the airport where we got stuck in a highway accident backup and our taxi driver ended up pulling in the emergency breakdown lane and driving 60 MPH in reverse to reach the previous exit ramp.  We did make our flight on time.

This is very near my experience.  All signs are suggestions

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #623 on: March 27, 2021, 10:43:28 AM »

I have been to Italy several times. Latest was a couple years ago. Some thoughts:
October is a great time for Italy. Shoulder season. Less crowds, pleasant weather.
If you are going to do Tuscany, I would recommend a car. Lots of beautiful places to see and explore that aren't accessible by train. We ran across a small village where the cook at the only restaurant was playing soccer in the courtyard with kids. A scene I will never forget.
Siena is an amazing medieval town worth a day or two exploring and a good base for Tuscany.
Do not even think about driving in Rome or other major Italian cities. And the taxi rides can be downright terrifying, especially to/from Rome airport.

But, if you are headed for Italy for what I assume is the first time, I would spend time in Rome and Florence. Amazing cities. Seeing history up close and personal.
Some tips - arrange things in advance - restaurant reservations in the evenings, tickets for things, especially the Vatican museum. It also is worth the money these days to pay to skip the lines to enter the Vatican, Coliseum.   A great restaurant in Rome for Carbonara https://www.facebook.com/RoscioliRistoranteSalumeria/
My wife loves Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. If you go there, a couple off the beaten paths suggestions - Herculaneum over Pompeii, less crowded and almost as spectacular ruins.
Also, a free trip to Greece - go to Paestum. It is an hour south of Naples and has three spectacular Greek temples. (I know, who knew?) https://www.museopaestum.beniculturali.it/

But basically, unless you go to Pisa for an extended amount of time, there is no wrong choice in Italy.

A great travel board resource here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:30:05 PM by pbiflyer »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #624 on: March 29, 2021, 12:20:08 AM »
Doing a four day trip to Galena IL. Debating whether to do mid-week or a weekend. Mid-week obviously cheaper but was wondering if there are more things to do over the weekend?

Anybody who has been to Galena have any suggestions?

feedback