collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 197532 times)

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »
It’s funny because for 10 years, I drove the Elgin/ORD from Elgin to the office park next to the Westin off of 355/Thorndale. When I changed jobs 4 years ago, they started the Elgin/ORD expansion to what it is today. I never used it for work after it got significantly better, but also happily missed having to pay all those tolls.

Cool, in 7 years I can save 10 minutes heading to ORD...

Of course at that point, the 355 will no longer be the emptiest highway around Chicago, and you probably won't be able to go 85 consistently from Schaumburg to Joliet...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »
It’s funny because for 10 years, I drove the Elgin/ORD from Elgin to the office park next to the Westin off of 355/Thorndale. When I changed jobs 4 years ago, they started the Elgin/ORD expansion to what it is today. I never used it for work after it got significantly better, but also happily missed having to pay all those tolls.

You and me both.  I called it 'Glow's house to Glow's work' expressway.  Those tolls still piss me off although these days I'm usually heading up to MKE.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »

Hmmmm...Glow worked in one of those buildings for almost 20 years.

We are so old we were living where we live before both the Elgin OHare and I355.
Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
Hmmmm...Glow worked in one of those buildings for almost 20 years.

We are so old we were living where we live before both the Elgin OHare and I355.

Same here, I grew up wondering why the Elgin/ORD was going to be built when it didn’t actually go to either destination.

I worked at 500 Park Blvd for 10 years. I walked around the Hamilton Lakes walking path almost every day, pretty good amenities and location for a suburban office park.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2019, 04:21:27 PM »
Traveling to Spain/Portugal in September. Barcelona, Sevilla, Lisbon, Porto. Four days in each city. Any recommendations?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2019, 08:49:49 PM »
Traveling to Spain/Portugal in September. Barcelona, Sevilla, Lisbon, Porto. Four days in each city. Any recommendations?

Learn Spanish.  Then Portuguese.  Not to fluency... just enough to show you’re putting in an effort. 

Seriously. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2019, 09:01:22 PM »
Learn Spanish.  Then Portuguese.  Not to fluency... just enough to show you’re putting in an effort. 

Seriously.

Catalan > Spanish if you're in Catalonia.
But I like to throw handfuls...

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2019, 10:09:53 PM »
Barcelona

Picasso museum...who knew that already as a young man he was a highly skilled classic painter...think Velasquez/Zubaran
Evening walk down Las Ramblas (main drag) toward the sea then left up along the beach Columbus ship replicas, great eats leftover improvements from 92 Olympics
Head up to the hills to site of 32 worlds fair recreation of multiple habitats with Gaudi works too....and of course Sagrada Familia
Of your cities this is the best for an evening tapas crawl. Start in the old section near the main cathederal

Sevilla

Cathedral...biggest in Europe...lots of gold
La Giralda and El Alcazar...remember the Moors ruled much of Spain for almost 500 years and this was one of their capitals
The river...take a tour boat....great views and very relaxing
Great food here try to sample Andalusian specialties every region of Spain prides itself on its local fare
Plaza de Espana best location of art tile work in Spain ...great for a relaxing siesta
As you'll miss Madrid where the best art is grab a little at the Museo de Bellas arte
If you can read spanish the General Archive of the Indies has all the documents of Columbus and of 300 years of spanish control of South America

We try to get over annually also. This year its a few weeks in Madrid and Galicia in late August early September
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »

Seriously.

I actually very much agree with this. Spain and Portugal are the two countries I’ve been to where it was striking how much of a difference in the travel experience was based on a willingness to try to speak the language.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2019, 04:50:17 AM »
Anybody have Edinburgh recommendations?

Huge scotch lover but primarily stick to Highland and Islay scotches so I'm not too familiar with the local distilleries if anyone could advise. Anything that is a must do, must try restaurant/pub, or must skip attraction?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2019, 09:56:10 AM »

Huge scotch lover but primarily stick to Highland and Islay scotches so I'm not too familiar with the local distilleries if anyone could advise. Anything that is a must do, must try restaurant/pub, or must skip attraction?

Never been but a quick google search and I'd try to hit this place in Edinburgh: https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
Never been but a quick google search and I'd try to hit this place in Edinburgh: https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/

Yeah that's the one thing that keeps coming up. Was hoping for a legit distillery but looks like that's going to be the spot
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2019, 10:12:52 AM »
Most of the distilleries are up in the highlands or islands. Not much in Edinburgh/Glasgow areas.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »
I actually very much agree with this. Spain and Portugal are the two countries I’ve been to where it was striking how much of a difference in the travel experience was based on a willingness to try to speak the language.

Can't speak to Portugese, but Spaniards 1000%.  Ive spoke more or less fluent Spanish since I was in college.  Ordering in Spanish at Mexican or Latin restaurant in the US usually gets a smile and they will return in kind and usually be a bit more friendly.  But Spaniards are a different level.

Beyond Spain, in Spanish restaurants in NY and London, multiple times, speaking/ordering in Spanish took service from polite but efficient/brief to conversational, jovial, and recommendations. My GF when we went in NYC was stunned to the point she thought I was flirting initially.  Its a very warm and friendly culture that they are happy to share when you connect on that level.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2019, 01:38:38 PM »

Seriously.

I know enough Spanish to get by but will brush up on it over the next few months. My girlfriend is nearly fluent so hopefully that'll be enough to get by.

I'm hopeless in Portuguese, though.

Thanks for the suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:44:15 PM by MUeagle1090 »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »
Barcelona

Picasso museum...who knew that already as a young man he was a highly skilled classic painter...think Velasquez/Zubaran
Evening walk down Las Ramblas (main drag) toward the sea then left up along the beach Columbus ship replicas, great eats leftover improvements from 92 Olympics
Head up to the hills to site of 32 worlds fair recreation of multiple habitats with Gaudi works too....and of course Sagrada Familia
Of your cities this is the best for an evening tapas crawl. Start in the old section near the main cathederal

Sevilla

Cathedral...biggest in Europe...lots of gold
La Giralda and El Alcazar...remember the Moors ruled much of Spain for almost 500 years and this was one of their capitals
The river...take a tour boat....great views and very relaxing
Great food here try to sample Andalusian specialties every region of Spain prides itself on its local fare
Plaza de Espana best location of art tile work in Spain ...great for a relaxing siesta
As you'll miss Madrid where the best art is grab a little at the Museo de Bellas arte
If you can read spanish the General Archive of the Indies has all the documents of Columbus and of 300 years of spanish control of South America

We try to get over annually also. This year its a few weeks in Madrid and Galicia in late August early September
A few more tips for Sevilla:
Barrio Santa Cruz-wander around going from bar to bar experiencing each bar's best tapas.
If you can, stay at the Hotel Dona Maria-right in the heart of the city, with a rooftop bar and pool overlooking the Cathedral. Surprisingly inexpensive
Attend a bullfight
If you like spanish plates/tiles-please do so. Beautiful
Parqu de Maria Luisa-Plaza de America

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »

Highly recommend Scran and Scallie pub for dinner
Good GIN distillery/tasting bar across from Waldorf Astoria - Caledonian
We hired a driver for a day who took us (among other places) to Aberfeldy (Highlands)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »
Highly recommend Scran and Scallie pub for dinner
Good GIN distillery/tasting bar across from Waldorf Astoria - Caledonian
We hired a driver for a day who took us (among other places) to Aberfeldy (Highlands)

Thanks Legs. Not must of a Gin drinker and neither is my mom, did it give you an appreciation that wasn't there? or were you already a Gin guy?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
The Spaniards speak English but won't.  In Portugal, they really don't speak English. 

My Spanish is good enough to order.  The Portuguese people are some of the warmest around. Your Spanish can make do in Portugal.

Btw, La Rambla is overrated. All Russian hookers and street thiefs. I would add Montserrat if you are in Barca for four days. 

Sevilla:  Four days is a long time.  Consider a day trip to Gibraltar and/or Morocco.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2019, 08:46:43 PM »
The Spaniards speak English but won't.  In Portugal, they really don't speak English. 

My Spanish is good enough to order.  The Portuguese people are some of the warmest around. Your Spanish can make do in Portugal.

Btw, La Rambla is overrated. All Russian hookers and street thiefs. I would add Montserrat if you are in Barca for four days. 

Sevilla:  Four days is a long time.  Consider a day trip to Gibraltar and/or Morocco.

I once worked at a factory full of Portuguese and Brazilian immigrants.  They all told me they can understand Spanish, but Spanish speakers can't understand them.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »
I once worked at a factory full of Portuguese and Brazilian immigrants.  They all told me they can understand Spanish, but Spanish speakers can't understand them.

Were they cardiologists back in Portugal?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2019, 03:30:09 AM »
Has anyone flown in "real" United Polaris  in recent months. Being a United UDP ("Unprofitable Domestic Passenger"), I never see "real" Polaris, so when I booked a flight to Paris last month for last week, I was really intrigued.

I was incredibly disappointed. In fact, I had trouble fathoming the big deal about Polaris. The product is marginally better than United's non-Polaris equipped planes and the service, candidly, is typically United -- spotty to indifferent where the flight attendants are "there" but seem generally disinterested in going the extra mile, or even doing their job.

Full disclosure: the service on the return flight has been exponentially better than on the outbound. The pulsar is the same hard worker but the rest of the flight attendants on this trip are outstanding. United needs to bottle and sell this service quality. The seats are still indifferent, though.

The Polaris Lounge in Chicago is great, but the lounges are only in Chicago, Houston, San Francisco and Newark. Pity the poor sucker that flies through, say, Dulles (America's worst hub) or Los Angeles.

The fivefour-across seats solve the problem of crawling across your neighbor, but trying to sleep is like trying to sleep in an MRI tube -- or a coffin. The area around the seat where you place your head is inadequately wide for the human shoulder -- an ergonomic sacrifice on the altar of efficiency. It's easier to move in an MRI tube than it is to move in  one of these seats. And getting in and out, well, yuck.

I'll admit it's better than the eight-across coach masquerading as first class in the 777-200s. But damn,  if your competition is the foreign airlines, I suspect United has a long way to go. I suspect this makes their premium economy product  attractive.

Am I too harsh????????   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:01:11 AM by dgies9156 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »
I flew a 787-9 from LAX to IAH the other day, while it didn't have full Polaris service, I definitely see your point. I'm 1K and got upgraded to 6L. The lay flat leaves alot to be desired, it is fairly narrow, and the arm rest doesn't move which makes laying fairly uncomfortable. I had a short flight relatively speaking for a 787, but I can see flying overseas and trying to be comfortable for an extended period of time being not worth the cash/points (if you don't get an auto upgrade).

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »
I flew a 787-9 from LAX to IAH the other day, while it didn't have full Polaris service, I definitely see your point. I'm 1K and got upgraded to 6L. The lay flat leaves alot to be desired, it is fairly narrow, and the arm rest doesn't move which makes laying fairly uncomfortable. I had a short flight relatively speaking for a 787, but I can see flying overseas and trying to be comfortable for an extended period of time being not worth the cash/points (if you don't get an auto upgrade).

Keep in mind... you're not paying a premium for Polaris. You're paying the premium to not be in coach.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »

Keep in mind... you're not paying a premium for Polaris. You're paying the premium to not be in coach.

I’m not paying anything, I wasn’t going to take that particular route unless I knew I would get upgraded at no charge. I’d have been fine in Economy Plus or Premier Plus.