collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:24:27 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199415 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2018, 03:19:22 PM »
Kant stand da heet, hey?

Brother 4ever, guess not.

That and I love Chicago and there's so much clean living, clean government I can take in a year!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2018, 03:24:23 PM »
Tell Glow Jr., Floridians aren't all bad.

We're residents of Florida six months of the year and love it down here.

Full Disclosure: Headed back to Chicago tomorrow!!!!!!

He was dissing Californians, my friend, not Floridians.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2018, 03:44:59 PM »
California really is such a weird place. My cousin lived in Santa Monica for a few years so I visit him once.

Walking down that stretch of beach from the Santa Monica Pier, through Ocean Park and Venice Beach to Maria del Rey it sure was something.

Just such a laid back atmosphere.

Need to separate SoCal from NorCal, hey?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
I was able to join the 50 State Club today. I had a customer meeting in Salt Lake get canceled last minute after I was out here, so I drove I-15 North to Idaho and Montana.

The Continental Divide as you enter Montana is amazing. I didn’t necessarily pick Montana or that route on purpose (it was spur of the moment), but I’ll humble brag that I’m proud of this accomplishment. I didn’t cheat either and just drive in and out of any state either or use an airport connection as a visit.

Well done Dish.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »
Favorite state is really tough. Hawaii is too easy of an answer, and I hate saying it only because it's obvious, but California is just awesome to visit. I'm removing any politics/people/costs here, it just has everything to offer.

Most underrated state to visit: Maine (I'll defer to east coasters if it's underrated, but the Maine coast is spectacular and one of the best national parks in Acadia)
Sneaky good: Tennessee (Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, good weather, very pretty)

I'm too picky of an eater and not a foodie to rate food, I'm sure other's on here would have better views.

What I've learned and tried to take perspective in is how lucky we are to live in the US (remove politics/money/taxes/anything like that). I've had a lot of west coast travel the last two months, and in 8 weeks have driven the Oregon coastline, saw the Continental Divide, been to Lake Tahoe, drove from Denver to Cheyenne, and all were spectacular. I don't say that by any means to brag, but America has crazy great things to see and experience, it really does.

Amen Dish!  America is a great place and so diverse...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »
Don't think I mentioned.  Chick and I are hitting #48 for me in two weeks.  Alaska.  Helluva deal last minute on a one-way SB cruise from Anchorage.  Still bucket list to drive the Cassiar and AlCan but that'll have to wait.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2018, 06:29:52 AM »
He was dissing Californians, my friend, not Floridians.

I know but I have to give out a bit of a bad time 8-)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
In Denver this weekend. Nothing but good experiences. Train from the airport to the city is reasonably priced and convenient. Location isn't great.

For anyone traveling to Denver, do not Uber or taxi from the airport to downtown. Trains leave every 15 minutes and are $8 tickets. A taxi or uber to the city is 40-50.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2018, 05:38:31 AM »
Frankfurt is permanently off my list after this weekend.  Transfer from Z66 to B24 was 2.9km walk. 

Then the Lufthansa staff took exception with my carry on. 

They definitely know how to disappoint customers.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »
Frankfurt is permanently off my list after this weekend.  Transfer from Z66 to B24 was 2.9km walk. 

Then the Lufthansa staff took exception with my carry on. 

They definitely know how to disappoint customers.

There are definitely better places to transit in Europe if you have to connect to secondary cities on the continent (connecting in MUC or CPH is a much better experience on Star Alliance, AMS excellent on Skyteam, MAD or even LHR better than FRA on OW).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2018, 11:57:07 AM »
There are definitely better places to transit in Europe if you have to connect to secondary cities on the continent (connecting in MUC or CPH is a much better experience on Star Alliance, AMS excellent on Skyteam, MAD or even LHR better than FRA on OW).

Agreed, much prefer MUC.  LHR for United is fantastic, but I haven't seen many flights that connect through there, but then again, when I go to Europe, I am normally ending at LHR or BRU and anything else is regional.

Speaking of issues with carry-ons, for the second time in 6 months, I had a TSA agent try to make me measure my bag BEFORE security.  First at LGA, then on Friday at EWR.  I totally get when it happens at the gate and I'm happy to gate check or even check to baggage claim (though not as happily), but being forced to go to the counter is obnoxious.  This PATRIOT physically stood in front of the entrance when I mentioned I would handle it at the gate and insisted I put it in the metal size frame.

My carry-on is standard sized, might have been bulging a bit as I was returning from 2 weeks abroad, but certainly wasn't an exorbitant size.  Being forced to measure your bag feels ridiculously demeaning and like you're being scolded, especially when Ive seen MANY appropriately sized roller carry-ons struggle to fit in something thats far less forgiving than an overhead bin.

Not to mention by this point its 40-45 min before my flight, so I need to get special treatment from United to even check my bag, doubt it would have happened if I wasn't 1K as 2 different agents told me I missed my window.  Just beyond silly.  AND, after all that, when I went back through, he didn't remember me and needed to check for my PreCheck again.  What a delight

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2018, 01:06:01 PM »
Agreed, much prefer MUC.  LHR for United is fantastic, but I haven't seen many flights that connect through there, but then again, when I go to Europe, I am normally ending at LHR or BRU and anything else is regional.

Speaking of issues with carry-ons, for the second time in 6 months, I had a TSA agent try to make me measure my bag BEFORE security.  First at LGA, then on Friday at EWR.  I totally get when it happens at the gate and I'm happy to gate check or even check to baggage claim (though not as happily), but being forced to go to the counter is obnoxious.  This PATRIOT physically stood in front of the entrance when I mentioned I would handle it at the gate and insisted I put it in the metal size frame.

My carry-on is standard sized, might have been bulging a bit as I was returning from 2 weeks abroad, but certainly wasn't an exorbitant size.  Being forced to measure your bag feels ridiculously demeaning and like you're being scolded, especially when Ive seen MANY appropriately sized roller carry-ons struggle to fit in something thats far less forgiving than an overhead bin.

Not to mention by this point its 40-45 min before my flight, so I need to get special treatment from United to even check my bag, doubt it would have happened if I wasn't 1K as 2 different agents told me I missed my window.  Just beyond silly.  AND, after all that, when I went back through, he didn't remember me and needed to check for my PreCheck again.  What a delight

I've just been checking in my suitcase regardless of the length of the trip.  It's no cost anyway with the Delta gold card.  People are literally fighting over the overhead bins and I found that it's better avoiding that argument for my sanity and that my luggage arrives on the carousel before I do every time anyway no matter what airport so why bother lugging around.

Last month, my suitcase was way overweight after my week in Dusseldorf and KLM surprising didn't charge me when I gave them my Delta gold card.  I believe they were supposed to charge me an overweight fee, but I still have no idea why they did not.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2018, 12:02:37 AM »
The latest chapter of "Why I hate discount airlines."

http://crankyflier.com/2018/04/17/sun-country-earns-the-cranky-jackass-award-for-giving-no-options-to-stranded-customers/

This deserves a state and/or federal investigation. When you issue a ticket, you make a promise. You don't decide it is inconvenient to fly someone home and strand them. I'm suspecting that Sun Country Airlines will be getting a wave of lawsuits in Hennipen County Circuit Court in Minnesota. And, they deserve it.

As I alluded to with Allegiant yesterday, when costs become the primary driver for your existence, you lose a sense of values and ethics. It is one thing to be efficient. We all get that in our personal and business lives. It's another thing to be cheap. This is just plain cheap and unfeeling.

Quite frankly, while I think we would sell our own mothers for an extra 5% off airfare, there are some things that are just not worth being cheap over!

Yes, United dragged people off airplanes. Yes, someone's canine died in an overhead bin. But I dare say, United would never leave me stranded in a foreign country with no way out. Nor would Delta, American or Southwest.

Frontier offering golden showers now...

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/05/20/passenger-urinates-on-seat-frontier-airlines/

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
Dat an ala carte add on fee, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
Several days in Salt Lake coming up. Any suggestions?  Be aware that I won’t have a car, so public transportation/Uber is a must.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »
Several days in Salt Lake coming up. Any suggestions?  Be aware that I won’t have a car, so public transportation/Uber is a must.

Just went to Salt Lake for first time ever a couple weeks ago. Don’t know how to say it otherwise, but safest downtown I’ve ever seen. Downtown is fine, it’s obviously not crazy because of the Mormons, but restaurant selection was good. There’s a mile or so stretch from the Tabernacle (gorgeous, especially at dusk) to downtown with shops/restaurants. That’s pretty much it. Scenery around the city is great, and if you like to hike, I’m sure someone has a specific recommendation.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2018, 01:13:29 AM »

Stay somewhere between Temple and 300 S.  East of Pioneer park.  The Marriott location is perfect.  Holiday Inn express also good.  I historically have stayed at Residence Inn downtown but it's old and getting pretty bad so after my January stay there I vowed to try something different next time.  Red Rock and Squatters are affordable favorites. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2018, 08:11:44 AM »
Boring Co. wins bid to build high-speed facility between O'Hare and the Loop, (allegedly) will foot the bill.

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musks-boring-company-wins-bid-to-build-high-speed-1826822962

I did get a chuckle out of this line:

Musk has previously said that trips in Los Angeles using his new system could cost just $1. It’s not immediately clear why Chicago’s estimates are much higher.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »
Just went to Salt Lake for first time ever a couple weeks ago. Don’t know how to say it otherwise, but safest downtown I’ve ever seen. Downtown is fine, it’s obviously not crazy because of the Mormons, but restaurant selection was good. There’s a mile or so stretch from the Tabernacle (gorgeous, especially at dusk) to downtown with shops/restaurants. That’s pretty much it. Scenery around the city is great, and if you like to hike, I’m sure someone has a specific recommendation.

Park City.  Looks just like the commercials.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »
Boring Co. wins bid to build high-speed facility between O'Hare and the Loop, (allegedly) will foot the bill.

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musks-boring-company-wins-bid-to-build-high-speed-1826822962

I did get a chuckle out of this line:

The first reactions I was seeing on Twitter and online were "why is this necessary, we already have a train, just make some express."  "Why not just have the CTA update the route and system"...which tells me those people live in the suburbs and never take the CTA, much less to Ohare.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »
The first reactions I was seeing on Twitter and online were "why is this necessary, we already have a train, just make some express."  "Why not just have the CTA update the route and system"...which tells me those people live in the suburbs and never take the CTA, much less to Ohare.

I'm more excited about the Elgin/ORD finally going to ORD after 30 years (or however long it's been). Given I live in Elgin (and the Elgin/ORD doesn't go to Elgin), but hopefully this makes getting out of ORD a lot easier. That I-190 route absolutely sucks leaving the airport.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »
I'm more excited about the Elgin/ORD finally going to ORD after 30 years (or however long it's been). Given I live in Elgin (and the Elgin/ORD doesn't go to Elgin), but hopefully this makes getting out of ORD a lot easier. That I-190 route absolutely sucks leaving the airport.

It doesn't go to ORD either.

They need to change the name to the Hanover Park/Itasca expressway.
Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »
It doesn't go to ORD either.

They need to change the name to the Hanover Park/Itasca expressway.

You’re correct, but it was announced today the ORD western access route will be completed by 2025. The litigation between the railroads and IDOT was settled or dropped (if I read the Trib correctly).

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
You’re correct, but it was announced today the ORD western access route will be completed by 2025. The litigation between the railroads and IDOT was settled or dropped (if I read the Trib correctly).

Funny, chick and I hope to be long gone by then relocating to greener pastures.  We'll have waited a lifetime for nothing!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2018, 12:44:12 PM »
Funny, chick and I hope to be long gone by then relocating to greener pastures.  We'll have waited a lifetime for nothing!

It’s funny because for 10 years, I drove the Elgin/ORD from Elgin to the office park next to the Westin off of 355/Thorndale. When I changed jobs 4 years ago, they started the Elgin/ORD expansion to what it is today. I never used it for work after it got significantly better, but also happily missed having to pay all those tolls.

feedback