collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199433 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2018, 09:06:18 PM »
Out of curiosity, am I the only nerd that gets excited when visiting a new state to see what that states Google Maps avatar looks like? I hit Wyoming today, always try to slow down when crossing the border to see it.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »
I just bought a piece of luggage .. the $120 model will do just fine.  Serious q, Briggs & Riley seems to be $300-600.  What makes it 3x better?

If you're not a hardcore road warrior and mostly carry on, I'm sure the $120 model will do just fine.  Briggs & Riley is excellent quality, has a lifetime warranty, and Is widely considered to be every bit as good as Rimowa which is more than double the price.  Not that Briggs is inexpensive by any means.  Those that can afford it swear by Rimowa but it's way over my budget so I have no personal experience with that brand.  I did splurge on a Briggs a couple years ago and it's held up very well but I'm not a what most would consider to be a road warrior.  I take a two or three day trip every 5 or 6 weeks which is nothing compared to a lot you.   In my experience where bags take the worst beating by far is when they're checked in and even one long haul Int'l trip with a connection can break multiple zipper pulls and make a relatively new bag look 10 years old, so for folks that routinely travel internationally for a week at a clip or more and need to check bags, it's worth it to pay significantly more for higher quality.   Just be careful and do your homework because many of the luxury brands aren't that high quality.  TUMI for example, looks great and while not poor quality by any means, is more expensive than Briggs, but not as durable over the long haul and only has a 5 yr warranty to Briggs's lifetime.  The luxury Italian brand Brics is way overpriced for what it is and didn't last for me at all but damn it looked great!  In my view the best quality luggage for the price is Victorinox/Swiss Army followed closely by Costco's Kirkland Signature private label line.   Neither are as good as Briggs or as sleek and luxe as TUMI and their ilk, but I haven't encountered better quality or value for the price, than Victorinox.   Full disclosure:  I live very close Victorinox's North American HQ in CT and have bought almost every piece of theirs that I own at their bi annual warehouse sale, where the merch is heavily discounted....usually more than 50% so I've bought it at a substantial discount but it's still better than every other piece of luggage I've ever owned, some for 3x the price.

On another note, there is no airport in the world worse than LGA, nor will there ever be and I say that as a proud NYC area native who's lived in the city or its suburbs my whole life minus the 4 yrs in MKE.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:11:08 AM by Disco Hippie »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
As a mid-tier road warrior I’m glad to see this thread. Couple questions for the group-

1. I’m a delta guy and hover between gold and platinum status but thinking of making a job change and delta just wouldn’t make sense based on new travel requirements so I’m considering making a change to either American or United. Curious to get the groups preferences between those two carriers and why?

2.  Along those lines, I’m also considering platinum Amex for lounge access in either DFW or IAH. I have chase reserve and really like it but would it be worth it to swap it for the platinum AMEX?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2018, 04:41:17 PM »
As a mid-tier road warrior I’m glad to see this thread. Couple questions for the group-

1. I’m a delta guy and hover between gold and platinum status but thinking of making a job change and delta just wouldn’t make sense based on new travel requirements so I’m considering making a change to either American or United. Curious to get the groups preferences between those two carriers and why?

2.  Along those lines, I’m also considering platinum Amex for lounge access in either DFW or IAH. I have chase reserve and really like it but would it be worth it to swap it for the platinum AMEX?

I only fly United, but maybe ask for a status match with both UA & AA and try them both out? I think it would mainly come down to where you’re based out of and who has more options for you. I will say IAH has maybe the quickest premiere or TSA security lines for any United hub that I’ve seen.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »

Depends on to where you are relocating. If it's DFW,  American is the answer. IAH, then United, no questions asked.

I've been high mileage on both in the past. I'm not sure there is a whole lot of difference, though I tend to think you're slightly more likely to see a widebody/overwater airplane on domestic routes on United. One particularly attractive plane that shows up from time to time is the 757-200s, which are equipped with sleeper seats in first class (don't be fooled by the 757-300s though, which are domestic shop hogs and break down regularly). American may have the same overwater thing in some A321s, so I would check.

Ultimately, if you are not in an airline's hub city, I agree with Brother Dish that you should call both airlines and see who gives you the better deal to transition. They both will, if you send them a copy of your Delta card.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
Thanks guys...I’m based in San Antonio so will have to connect via IAH or DFW. DFW is logistically better but my experience with AA jets is that if you don’t get one of their new a321’s you end up with a really old md88 or 737; which is not preferred. From DFW I will be flying to ABQ, MEM, DEN, TUL, OKC, and lovely Lambert...STL

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »
Thanks guys...I’m based in San Antonio so will have to connect via IAH or DFW. DFW is logistically better but my experience with AA jets is that if you don’t get one of their new a321’s you end up with a really old md88 or 737; which is not preferred. From DFW I will be flying to ABQ, MEM, DEN, TUL, OKC, and lovely Lambert...STL

1) American's 737s generally are not THAT old. Most have been delivered in the past five years or so.

2) From Dallas, ABQ and MEM probably are either A320s, the remaining MD88s (which will not be in the fleet much longer) or the Eagle. STL probably is a real jet but OKC is likely to be the Eagle. TUL is a crapshoot since American has a major maintenance base there and shuttles planes between DFW and Tulsa.

3) If you are in San Antonio, you may want to consider living north of the city and fly out of Austin. Dpeending on where you are going, it may be nonstop.

4) I would weigh driving to another airport against connecting time, especially if it is Austin. In my case, the winter, I generally drive from the Treasure Coast of Florida to MCO. The alternative is Delta via Melbourne, FL, and the connection time in Atlanta or Charlotte is usually longer than the drive up Interstate 95 (which is usually done at 90+ miles per hour).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
1) American's 737s generally are not THAT old. Most have been delivered in the past five years or so.

2) From Dallas, ABQ and MEM probably are either A320s, the remaining MD88s (which will not be in the fleet much longer) or the Eagle. STL probably is a real jet but OKC is likely to be the Eagle. TUL is a crapshoot since American has a major maintenance base there and shuttles planes between DFW and Tulsa.

3) If you are in San Antonio, you may want to consider living north of the city and fly out of Austin. Dpeending on where you are going, it may be nonstop.

4) I would weigh driving to another airport against connecting time, especially if it is Austin. In my case, the winter, I generally drive from the Treasure Coast of Florida to MCO. The alternative is Delta via Melbourne, FL, and the connection time in Atlanta or Charlotte is usually longer than the drive up Interstate 95 (which is usually done at 90+ miles per hour).

I was going to chime in the same thing about Austin. When we went to the Final Four, flew home out of Austin. Have to imagine if there’s a direct flight to/from AUS, it’d be much faster. Good news is with hubs in DFW and IAH, you have at least close options.

FWIW, San Antonio is now my most underrated city in America.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
Again...thanks guys, much appreciated!

yes...we love San Antonio, which is why i'm making a change to stay.  I do fly out of Austin as Delta has started adding directs to places I needed to go with my previous job. (Seattle, LAX, JFK)  unfortunately, there aren't any Delta directs to my new required places but I have begun scouting out my new routes and the aircraft AA and UA use.  I will definitely take your advice and see if I can get any deals from those 2 carriers if I switch.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32:08 AM »

yes...we love San Antonio, which is why i'm making a change to stay.  I do fly out of Austin as Delta has started adding directs to places I needed to go with my previous job. (Seattle, LAX, JFK)  unfortunately, there aren't any Delta directs to my new required places but I have begun scouting out my new routes and the aircraft AA and UA use.  I will definitely take your advice and see if I can get any deals from those 2 carriers if I switch.

If the choice is to fly through IAH and DFW you can expect winter deicing about 20X more in DFW  than IAH.  When I flew to South America a lot I always tried to go through IAH or Miami not DFW.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »

Anytime Brother MUArmy!

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2018, 06:20:13 PM »
Based on this set of cities you sound like a typical SWA traveller...basing out of SA dont ignore this obvious choice
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2018, 03:18:35 PM »
Based on this set of cities you sound like a typical SWA traveller...basing out of SA dont ignore this obvious choice

You're right...there are some direct options on SWA but i'm not a fan...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »
You're right...there are some direct options on SWA but i'm not a fan...

You either:

Don't like getting sucked out of airplanes; or,

Don't fly coach very often.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2018, 06:44:39 PM »
I was able to join the 50 State Club today. I had a customer meeting in Salt Lake get canceled last minute after I was out here, so I drove I-15 North to Idaho and Montana.

The Continental Divide as you enter Montana is amazing. I didn’t necessarily pick Montana or that route on purpose (it was spur of the moment), but I’ll humble brag that I’m proud of this accomplishment. I didn’t cheat either and just drive in and out of any state either or use an airport connection as a visit.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
I was able to join the 50 State Club today. I had a customer meeting in Salt Lake get canceled last minute after I was out here, so I drove I-15 North to Idaho and Montana.

The Continental Divide as you enter Montana is amazing. I didn’t necessarily pick Montana or that route on purpose (it was spur of the moment), but I’ll humble brag that I’m proud of this accomplishment. I didn’t cheat either and just drive in and out of any state either or use an airport connection as a visit.

Favorite state?  For people?  Nature? Views? Food and drink? Business?  Culture?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2018, 11:32:42 PM »
Favorite state?  For people?  Nature? Views? Food and drink? Business?  Culture?

Favorite state is really tough. Hawaii is too easy of an answer, and I hate saying it only because it's obvious, but California is just awesome to visit. I'm removing any politics/people/costs here, it just has everything to offer.

Most underrated state to visit: Maine (I'll defer to east coasters if it's underrated, but the Maine coast is spectacular and one of the best national parks in Acadia)
Sneaky good: Tennessee (Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, good weather, very pretty)

I'm too picky of an eater and not a foodie to rate food, I'm sure other's on here would have better views.

What I've learned and tried to take perspective in is how lucky we are to live in the US (remove politics/money/taxes/anything like that). I've had a lot of west coast travel the last two months, and in 8 weeks have driven the Oregon coastline, saw the Continental Divide, been to Lake Tahoe, drove from Denver to Cheyenne, and all were spectacular. I don't say that by any means to brag, but America has crazy great things to see and experience, it really does.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2018, 11:37:40 PM »
State would be Hawaii

City New Orleans hands down--Music Food Architecture History
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2018, 07:21:03 AM »
So many beautiful places it's hard to pick just one, so I'll list a few of my favorites off the top of my head.

For natural beauty: Na Pali Coast and Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii (renewing as we speak), Rocky Mountains in CO & UT, Badlands in SD, Big Sur coastline in CA, Oregon coast, Sonoran Desert when the cacti bloom after a big rainfall.

Most beautiful natural scene/moment I've ever seen: Driving at sunrise in Southern Alabama on a humid summer morning, seeing the fog dissipate in the early morning sun to reveal the Spanish moss hanging from the Oak trees.

For food: Italian in Boston, Chinese and sourdough in San Francisco and most anything in New Orleans...followed by beignets.

For culture: DC museums (National Portrait Gallery and National Archives are my favorites).

Random fun things/cool attractions: San Francisco cable cars, Ruby Falls in TN.

So many amazing and diverse things to see in this great country. I'm sure I will think of many more right after I hit "post."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2018, 07:26:31 AM »

State:  Washington. The Pacific Northwest is awesome with the green forests, mountains, urban Seattle and the large number of waterfalls. Close runner-up is my old home state of Tennessee.

For People:  California. There is no place nuttier than California. Only place I ever have been where they had a safe sex float in an Easter parade where the Easter Bunny was handing out free condoms. Same parade had a float from a funeral home saying, "we put the fun in funerals." Everything about California is just goofy and there is NO runner-up.

For Nature:  Agree with Brother Dish, Hawaii. Very pretty and the birds are gorgeous.

For Food and Drink:  This is a sleeper, but Texas. The barbecue is to die for. And the Town of Castroville near San Antonio is undiscovered excellence in Alsatian Cuisine.

For Business:  Los Angeles. The people there know how to negotiate and get a deal d-o-n-e. And they are not provincial the way many parts of the country are.

For Culture: Don't really travel much for culture but I probably would say New York City. Paris blows everything away, but I am trying to stay domestic.

Places I avoid when possible:

1) New York City -- Getting in from the airport is a disaster, no matter which airport you choose (go to EWR and take the train to MSG). The place smells like garbage most of the time and the crowds are well, yuck. Little here you can't get in Chicago or San Francisco. Just lots more of it.

2) Atlanta -- When you find a city here, let me know. More than 1,000 suburbs looking for that city center. And the freeways are awful.

3) Dallas -- Like Atlanta with less culture.

4) Boston -- Any airport run by Massport is by definition the worst run airport in America. The city has a lot of charm but the airport is a disaster and ruins the trip.

5) Orlando -- Full disclosure, I use MCO a lot in the winter. But Orlando is Duluth on steroids. Never, ever fly into MCO without TSA Pre. The lines in the conventional security line are two hours long. If I hear "OrlandoMayorBuddyDyer" tell me about the "Orlando Experience" one more time, I'm going to gag. Other than plastic mice and people eating alligators, what does Orlando offer?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »

For People:  California. There is no place nuttier than California. Only place I ever have been where they had a safe sex float in an Easter parade where the Easter Bunny was handing out free condoms. Same parade had a float from a funeral home saying, "we put the fun in funerals." Everything about California is just goofy and there is NO runner-up.

Glow jr. made his first trip to (southern) California at the age of 16.  His analysis:

"Like Florida, only with way more douchebags."
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »
Glow jr. made his first trip to (southern) California at the age of 16.  His analysis:

And less humidity....

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2018, 02:57:52 PM »

Tell Glow Jr., Floridians aren't all bad.

We're residents of Florida six months of the year and love it down here.

Full Disclosure: Headed back to Chicago tomorrow!!!!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
Kant stand da heet, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2018, 03:12:22 PM »
California really is such a weird place. My cousin lived in Santa Monica for a few years so I visit him once.

Walking down that stretch of beach from the Santa Monica Pier, through Ocean Park and Venice Beach to Maria del Rey it sure was something.

Just such a laid back atmosphere.