[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 115549 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #425 on: October 16, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »
And frankly it was a total setup by Logan.  He knows the only way the proxy vote is going his way is if he is gone.  And the only way that is going to happen is if he sets it up, as he did.  He knew/hoped Kendall had the gumption to do what he did.  It was part of the reason he paid Kendall's gal no attention.  He wanted to piss of Kendall.  I think Logan has it all going on and drove the bus...the talk about not having the ability to go for the kill, etc....

This was my reaction, too. They really focused on Logan's face as the episode ended and Ken was finishing his statement. He certainly didn't look upset -- and we all know he could get freakin' upset -- and I thought I might have detected the slightest hint of a smile/smirk.

Just a really well-done series. I love Shiv, but most of the characters are great. Culkin, whom I had never before taken seriously as an actor, is quite good as Roman. Some of them are painful to watch, specifically Tom and Greg, but they are supposed to be painful to watch. Even the smaller, supporting characters are good.

I laughed out loud when Logan asked Roman how he was doing after he basically was held hostage at a hotel in Turkey, and Roman responded: "I've had worse experiences at hotels. I once stayed at a Marriott."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #426 on: October 16, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
Sure. But what about those whose lives/reputations are ruined by false allegations from those seeking revenge or a Payday?

The what, less than 2% (being generous)?  Those men (and women) should get a payout if they choose to go that route.
https://web.stanford.edu/group/maan/cgi-bin/?page_id=297
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #427 on: October 16, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
El Camino was fine.   A nice long episode.  Glad I watched.  Didn’t need it.

I wasn’t blown away or anything, but found it to be a thoroughly entertaining two hours.  Vince Gilligan is a virtuoso when it comes to macabre humor.  I’m also impressed that he’s been able to maintain Breaking Bad’s level of quality with Better Call Saul and now this, and that he hasn’t handed over the keys to his creation while cashing in and taking an executive producer credit, which he could easily do.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #428 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:08 PM »
I wasn’t blown away or anything, but found it to be a thoroughly entertaining two hours.  Vince Gilligan is a virtuoso when it comes to macabre humor.  I’m also impressed that he’s been able to maintain Breaking Bad’s level of quality with Better Call Saul and now this, and that he hasn’t handed over the keys to his creation while cashing in and taking an executive producer credit, which he could easily do.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/newyork/vince-gilligan-said-the-original-ending-of-el-camino-was-significantly-different

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #429 on: October 16, 2019, 09:41:35 PM »
Saw the Watchman premier tonight for HBO...coming out Sunday.  Really good.

Don Johnson
Lou Gossett JR
Yellow half mask
Squid
Rohrshack

Going to be really good

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #430 on: October 16, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »
https://www.barstoolsports.com/newyork/vince-gilligan-said-the-original-ending-of-el-camino-was-significantly-different

Good read, thanks for posting.  Nice to hear that Gilligan is willing to set his ego aside and listen to the talented people he’s surrounded himself with.

Also, RIP Robert Forster.  Very underrated and underused actor.  His scene in El Camino is terrific.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #431 on: October 17, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »
Anybody watch that show Big Mouths? I don't know wtf I just watched but it had its moments

Season 1 was one of my favorite seasons of television. Season 2 and 3 were entertaining but didn't live up to season 1
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #432 on: October 17, 2019, 01:06:30 PM »
Season 1 was one of my favorite seasons of television. Season 2 and 3 were entertaining but didn't live up to season 1

I'd agree with that. A little too much screen time for the Hormone Monsters for me. And way too much Coach Steve -- though so far in Season 3 (I haven't finished the season yet), he's had a lot less air time, which is good.

It's a clever show, and I do chuckle quite a lot. Which is why I keep watching even though I don't like it as much as I did. I felt kind of the same about Bojack Horseman -- really cracked me up first couple seasons, less so after that, but still liked it.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #433 on: October 18, 2019, 07:32:58 AM »
This was my reaction, too. They really focused on Logan's face as the episode ended and Ken was finishing his statement. He certainly didn't look upset -- and we all know he could get freakin' upset -- and I thought I might have detected the slightest hint of a smile/smirk.

There was a smile/smirk.  Either Logan and Kendall are in on the move, or Logan is proud of Ken for showing the toughness Logan earlier told him he did not have   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #434 on: October 18, 2019, 07:48:26 AM »
There was a smile/smirk.  Either Logan and Kendall are in on the move, or Logan is proud of Ken for showing the toughness Logan earlier told him he did not have

My initial thought was the latter, based on Logan having told Ken, "You're not a killer," and Ken then delivering that classic kiss on the cheek.

But I don't dismiss the possibility that it was the former.

Either way, I hadn't expected it, and I love when something I watch produces a legit plot turn that isn't just a stupid, illogical, shock-value kind of thing.

Succession is just a very enjoyable series.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #435 on: October 21, 2019, 10:01:01 AM »
Been watching "Explained" on Netflix recently.  Very thorough (for the time allotted for each episode) look at a given topic and provides multiple perspectives without editorializing or pushing an agenda (especially refreshing for some of the politically-charged topics).  Right now it's the middle of Season 2, so new episodes are being dropped every week.

I highly recommend the "Why Women are Paid Less" episode, especially for the new (and expecting) fathers out there (then you can watch "The Female Orgasm" episode). Other episodes I recommend: "Why Diets Fail," "Racial Wealth Gap," and "Cults."

After watching that last one, go over to Documentary Now (also Netflix) and watch the episode "Batsh|t Crazy."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #436 on: October 21, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »
Anybody have any opinion of Watchmen yet?

I think I might like it but not sure if Mrs. 82 will.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #437 on: October 21, 2019, 12:27:16 PM »
Been watching "Explained" on Netflix recently.  Very thorough (for the time allotted for each episode) look at a given topic and provides multiple perspectives without editorializing or pushing an agenda (especially refreshing for some of the politically-charged topics).  Right now it's the middle of Season 2, so new episodes are being dropped every week.

I highly recommend the "Why Women are Paid Less" episode, especially for the new (and expecting) fathers out there (then you can watch "The Female Orgasm" episode). Other episodes I recommend: "Why Diets Fail," "Racial Wealth Gap," and "Cults."

After watching that last one, go over to Documentary Now (also Netflix) and watch the episode "Batsh|t Crazy."

I really like this show.  I would also recommend "Cricket" (the sport, not the insect) and the one on the water crisis.
Have some patience, FFS.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #438 on: October 21, 2019, 01:00:04 PM »
Binge watched Unexplained (Netflix) in one night, been a LONG time since I wanted to continue to watch a show until I couldn’t keep my eyes open. Also, really like Hip Hop Evolution (Netflix) and Rotten (Netflix).

Going to give Unnatural Selection (Netflix) a go here soon.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #439 on: October 22, 2019, 10:53:04 AM »
Mrs. Legs and I watched the first 2 episodes of Modern Love on Amazon.  Gently funny, sometimes poignant, good stories, well acted w/ star power (Ann Hathaway, Tina Fey, Dev Patel, Catherine Keener, Andrew Scott and John Slattery, Dev Patel).  Half hour anthology romantic comedy.  For those who struggle to find common show watching ground, this is a nice watch for a couple.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #440 on: October 22, 2019, 04:37:39 PM »
Mrs. Legs and I watched the first 2 episodes of Modern Love on Amazon.  Gently funny, sometimes poignant, good stories, well acted w/ star power (Ann Hathaway, Tina Fey, Dev Patel, Catherine Keener, Andrew Scott and John Slattery, Dev Patel).  Half hour anthology romantic comedy.  For those who struggle to find common show watching ground, this is a nice watch for a couple.

Does Dev Patel play two different characters?  Or are you just really into Dev Patel?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #441 on: October 23, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »
Im watching the second season of disenchantment on Netflix. Like the first season,  I really WANT to like it but I just can't. Im a huge futurama fan,  Simpson's iconic, so I thought Groenings take on medieval fantasy would be good. It has its moments but no real laugh out loud gut busters.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
Im watching the second season of disenchantment on Netflix. Like the first season,  I really WANT to like it but I just can't. Im a huge futurama fan,  Simpson's iconic, so I thought Groenings take on medieval fantasy would be good. It has its moments but no real laugh out loud gut busters.

Ditto.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #443 on: October 24, 2019, 08:02:49 AM »
Does Dev Patel play two different characters?  Or are you just really into Dev Patel?

Got me!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #444 on: October 24, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
Nobody's watching Watchmen?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #445 on: October 24, 2019, 08:57:26 AM »
Anybody have any opinion of Watchmen yet?

I think I might like it but not sure if Mrs. 82 will.

LOL
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #446 on: October 24, 2019, 09:39:19 AM »
LOL

My wife and I saw the Watchmen trailer while waiting to watch John Oliver. As the trailer played, I said: "I think I might want to watch this, but I want to hear what others are saying about it first." And she said: "I don't know. It looks too weird to me."

That seriously makes you laugh out loud?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #447 on: October 24, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »

Bite my shiny metal axe. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #448 on: October 27, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »
Finally saw Joker a few days ago. For those interested in seeing it but haven't yet, I won't go into the many plot twists (and holes). What I will do is agree with most critics that Phoenix is absolutely amazing in pretty much every scene. I didn't love, love, love the movie, but I did like it.

Having seen it, and then having read more about it (I don't like to read about something I want to see because of unintentional spoilers that happen sometimes), I was intrigued to see Taxi Driver. Todd Phillips, who directed Joker, apparently was inspired by Scorsese in general and Taxi Driver in particular. And somehow, I had never seen Taxi Driver -- either when it hit the theaters in 1976 or in the bazillion times it has been shown on TV since.

So when my wife and I were flipping around Netflix looking for something to watch last night -- yep, another wild night at the 82 house! -- and I saw Taxi Driver available, I convinced her to watch it.

It was quite dated, but it was fun to see a very young DeNiro, as well as Cybill Shepherd, Harvey  Keitel, Peter Boyle and Albert Brooks in supporting roles. DeNiro was brilliant (though not as much as Phoenix in Joker IMHO). Foster got nominated for an Oscar even though she wasn't on the screen much, I'm assuming because her role was controversial and was the most talked-about at the time.

It was heavy on the conversation and very light on much happening for long stretches, and the music was extremely annoying (even though it was nominated for an Oscar). Loved all the scenes of a very decadent mid-70s NYC.

There have been critics who have called it the best movie ever. When I mentioned that to my wife, she literally laughed out loud and said: "Really? It's not in my top 1,000." For sure IMHO it wasn't even the best Scorcese-DeNiro collaboration of that half-decade -- Raging Bull was far superior.

Oh ... and yes, I absolutely did see how Taxi Driver influenced Phillips' making of Joker.

So there you have it -- a review of a 1976 flick. Seriously, I thought that maybe some folks might have somehow missed it, as was the case with me, and might wonder if they should bother checking it out.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #449 on: October 27, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »
Nobody's watching Watchmen?

I watched the 1st episode. Not much to say yet as it was mainly just setting the story. I will probably wait til it is done and then binge.

I finally was home long enough this week to watch season 2 of Succession. It is simply the best show on TV.And the last couple episodes of each season are as good as TV gets. Ever.

GoT would have a few slow episodes every year while filling in background or laying groundwork for future episodes. Every single episode of Succession has been outstanding and each episode gets better.