collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 116875 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #450 on: October 27, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
Nobody's watching Watchmen?

First episode seemed like a nice setup. Obviously Alan Moore won't approve, but it was always an under-explored universe. Be interested to see the direction they go.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #451 on: October 27, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
For sure IMHO it wasn't even the best Scorcese-DeNiro collaboration of that half-decade -- Raging Bull was far superior.

Meh... Tim Robbins was ok, but Kevin Costner - like most of his flicks - was intolerable. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #452 on: October 28, 2019, 06:19:50 AM »
Meh... Tim Robbins was ok, but Kevin Costner - like most of his flicks - was intolerable.

Huh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #453 on: October 28, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »
Huh?

It's not as fun when I have to explain the jokes...

It was a play on the confusion between the movies Raging Bull and Bull Durham, which I assume would occur more often in North Carolina.  But apparently, someone has locked himself in his bedroom and blacked out the windows...
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #454 on: October 28, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
It's not as fun when I have to explain the jokes...

It was a play on the confusion between the movies Raging Bull and Bull Durham, which I assume would occur more often in North Carolina.  But apparently, someone has locked himself in his bedroom and blacked out the windows...

Ah ... comedy.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #455 on: October 28, 2019, 01:35:01 PM »
I watched the 1st episode. Not much to say yet as it was mainly just setting the story. I will probably wait til it is done and then binge.

This is where I'm at too.  HBO had me at Damon Lindelof, so I'm pretty excited based on early reviews. FWIW I saw the movie and thought it was fine but not much more.  I never read the graphic novel, but I recall how big the universe was being the biggest challenge with distilling it into a movie.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #456 on: October 28, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »
Thanks to those who have given early impressions of Watchmen. I plan to watch the first episode or two and then go from there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #457 on: October 28, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »
Binged "Unbelievable" this weekend.  Hard to watch at times, very well done.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #458 on: October 28, 2019, 05:34:55 PM »
This is where I'm at too.  HBO had me at Damon Lindelof, so I'm pretty excited based on early reviews. FWIW I saw the movie and thought it was fine but not much more.  I never read the graphic novel, but I recall how big the universe was being the biggest challenge with distilling it into a movie.

Burrow, it's interesting that you mention Lindelof. When I saw he was involved, it dampened my enthusiasm. I lost interest in The Leftovers by the middle of season 2 and the way he paced the show had everything to do with it.

I watched the 1st episode of Watchmen and saw similarities right away. I will watch the rest of season 1 when I can binge it in a couple of months. Hoping I am not disappointed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #459 on: October 28, 2019, 07:42:11 PM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #460 on: October 28, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
nm

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #461 on: October 29, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »
Just finished "Murder In The Bayou" on Showtime.  Very well done, a classic example of police corruption which plagues this country.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #462 on: October 29, 2019, 06:59:28 PM »
Game of Thrones prequel announced...House of Dragons
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #463 on: October 30, 2019, 06:34:14 AM »

I strongly recommend reading the original. I think it makes the movie better because it was a fairly faithful adoration and it fills in many of the blanks. Having read it first decades ago, I've always felt it's the best piece of comic presentation I've ever read.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #464 on: October 31, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »
It was a fair warning of the content....he exposes the Cancel Culture throughout....brilliantly done.  And the reason why I said it, he is normally appealing to that group, but he takes a different turn on this one because of far crazy people have gone

OT - BO recently came out against cancel culture/woke peeps.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #465 on: October 31, 2019, 11:09:54 AM »

those against the "cancel culture" have to be conflicted now!  What/who do they hate more?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #466 on: November 01, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »

Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders & Owners? 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #467 on: November 01, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
those against the "cancel culture" have to be conflicted now!  What/who do they hate more?

No contest.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #468 on: November 02, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »
I taped all of "Country Music" and am working my way through it.

Like everything else Ken Burns has done, it is excellent.  You don't even have to be a country music fan to find it interesting.

I have found one error so far, and it is my Milwaukee connection that allowed me to figure it out, not the fact that I grew up in Nashville.  There are several mentions of a husband and wife songwriting team that is responsible for many hits, including most of the Everly Brothers'.  They met when she worked at the Schroeder Hotel (it was later the Marc Plaza and the now the Hilton) and he was a guest, and the narrator pronounced "Schroeder" iwith a long "O", like the Peanuts character.
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #469 on: November 02, 2019, 11:50:25 AM »

Bo Jackson?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #470 on: November 02, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »
Just watched the 2nd season of Jack Ryan on Prime. It was OK. Looking forward to final season of The Man in the High Castle.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #471 on: November 03, 2019, 07:40:41 AM »
Took you 2+ days to figure out who I was referring to?

I think he was waiting two days for someone to take the bait on his joke, and finally couldn’t wait any longer to really bring the politics in here.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #472 on: November 03, 2019, 08:32:39 AM »
Just rewatched The Martian on Friday night -- or at least most of it.  It's one of those movies that I tend to pause on when flipping channels and before I know it, I'm an hour in. 

Also, did I miss a federal law or executive order requiring that We're the Millers be broadcast at least three times each week?  Yeah...it was kind of funny...once.  But it seems like that movie is on multiple times every weekend.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #473 on: November 03, 2019, 08:58:58 AM »

Also, did I miss a federal law or executive order requiring that We're the Millers be broadcast at least three times each week?  Yeah...it was kind of funny...once.  But it seems like that movie is on multiple times every weekend.

I think you meant to say "Bridesmaids", which is a very funny movie, but didn't need to be shown on one basic cable station or another 24/7 for the past 8 years.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:11:48 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #474 on: November 03, 2019, 09:25:58 AM »
Just rewatched The Martian on Friday night -- or at least most of it.  It's one of those movies that I tend to pause on when flipping channels and before I know it, I'm an hour in. 

OMG - My 16 year old loves We're the Millers.  She does watch again if it's on.