[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 116888 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #375 on: September 23, 2019, 06:32:38 PM »
I'm finally catching up on my summer DVR of The Food That Built America
Intriguing origin stories on the food items you know.
Heinz, Kellogg, CW Post, Coca-Cola, Hershey, Mars, McDonald's, KFC, etc.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #376 on: September 23, 2019, 08:52:23 PM »

What network?   I love that stuff.  Read a great book on the chocolate wars 20 years ago. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #377 on: September 23, 2019, 09:26:06 PM »

Really enjoying this, have a couple to go. A cool look at the history of some iconic brands.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #378 on: September 24, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »
What network?   I love that stuff.  Read a great book on the chocolate wars 20 years ago.

History Channel

LloydsLegs

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #380 on: September 24, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »
I was happy to see Julia Garner win best supporting actress Emmy for her portrayal of Ruth on Ozark. Totally stole the show this past season.

She deserved it totally, and she probably was helped by the 4 GoT actresses splitting the vote.

I thought Ozark or Succession deserved best drama, but the fix was totally in for GoT.

Chernobyl and When They See Us were properly recognized IMHO. Two of the best things I saw on TV during the nomination period.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #381 on: September 24, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »

I thought Ozark or Succession deserved best drama, but the fix was totally in for GoT.

Agreed. Succession especially better.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #382 on: September 24, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
I was happy to see Julia Garner win best supporting actress Emmy for her portrayal of Ruth on Ozark. Totally stole the show this past season.

She deserved it totally, and she probably was helped by the 4 GoT actresses splitting the vote.

Chernobyl and When They See Us were properly recognized IMHO. Two of the best things I saw on TV during the nomination period.

The show has gotten a bit ridiculous with storylines for certain characters (momma and poppa Byrd) but Garner's character has always felt honest and true.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #383 on: September 24, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »
The show has gotten a bit ridiculous with storylines for certain characters (momma and poppa Byrd) but Garner's character has always felt honest and true.

Agreed.  Season two seemed to stretch itself a little thin trying to make every character have significant plot points when you only need 2-4 really strong ones, but she's always been really solid.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #384 on: September 24, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »

This happens fairly often with shows, but I didn't get turned off on Ozark yet.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #385 on: September 24, 2019, 12:52:12 PM »
Just watched first two episodes of Unbelievable.

Pretty gripping stuff so far, and the lead actress (Kaitlyn Dever) is very talented -- good in every role she plays.

Finished Unbelievable over the weekend - thought it was outstanding.  And yes, Dever was impressive. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #386 on: September 24, 2019, 12:55:23 PM »
The fourth (and final) season of The Good Place starts Thursday.  Can't wait.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #387 on: September 24, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
History Channel
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S7Rjuuk6NAM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S7Rjuuk6NAM</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #388 on: September 24, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
This happens fairly often with shows, but I didn't get turned off on Ozark yet.
Laura Linney is married to Marc Schauer who attended (but did not graduate) from Marquette. Lived on 10th Floor of McCormick my freshman year. Hilarious guy. Legendary swordsman.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #389 on: September 24, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »
Laura Linney is married to Marc Schauer who attended (but did not graduate) from Marquette. Lived on 10th Floor of McCormick my freshman year. Hilarious guy. Legendary swordsman.

Didn't even know we had a fencing team!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #390 on: September 28, 2019, 07:08:24 PM »
Couldn't stop watching The Boys. Flew through it in a few days. Very good.

Five episodes into The Boys. So much fun. There was an absolute laugh-out-loud-even-though-I-was-alone scene in each of the past two episodes (4 and 5).

Obviously, it's superheroes, so a lot of it is ridiculous. But I LOVE the whole supes-gone-wrong idea for the series. Brilliant. Plus a lot of eff-yous to those who take extreme views on many things.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #391 on: September 28, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »
Five episodes into The Boys. So much fun. There was an absolute laugh-out-loud-even-though-I-was-alone scene in each of the past two episodes (4 and 5).

Obviously, it's superheroes, so a lot of it is ridiculous. But I LOVE the whole supes-gone-wrong idea for the series. Brilliant. Plus a lot of eff-yous to those who take extreme views on many things.

I almost died laughing with during the dolphin scene with The Deep
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #392 on: September 28, 2019, 07:56:18 PM »

That was one of them.

Just finished watching Ep. 5, with the baby-laser-eyes scene. Howlingly funny!

My wife's not watching the series but I had to show her those scenes. She cracked up big-time.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #393 on: September 29, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
Agreed. Succession especially better.

I tried with Succession, but hated every one of the characters. It's really hard to watch a show when you just despise everyone in it.

I'm surprised Billions didn't garner any Emmy attention at all. Honestly, I think it's because they don't know how to handle nominating Asia Kate Dillon, who is delivering one of the best performances on television. So rather than address their nomination, the Emmys just pretend the show doesn't exist.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #394 on: September 29, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
I tried with Succession, but hated every one of the characters. It's really hard to watch a show when you just despise everyone in it.

Interesting. I "like" Sarah Snook's character (Shiv) a lot. I get a kick out of Kieran Culkin's (Roman) and Nicholas Braun's (Greg) characters. And I think the acting overall and writing are very good.

But I do get what you're saying, brewski, because there have been series I have felt that way about. It's a good thing for both of us that there are about 6 bajillion series to choose from!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #395 on: September 29, 2019, 06:56:15 PM »
Binge watching Pennyworth.   Wow.   Insane layers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #396 on: September 30, 2019, 02:14:28 PM »

Half an episode in, and I just can get past Simon Pegg in an American accent.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #397 on: October 01, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »

Even better -- if you're watching on a tablet -- is the X-Ray trivia that comes up during that scene.

I finished the series last night... that was hands-down the best cliffhanger I've seen in recent memory.  Not just the "what happens next" angle, but equally the "what the hell is going on" angle.  I never read the comic, so maybe there's some canon that explains, but the three character arcs on-screen could go in at least a dozen different directions.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #398 on: October 07, 2019, 10:45:42 AM »
I'm a bit late to the party, but I discovered (and watched) "The Barkley Marathons" documentary on Prime this weekend (original release was 2014)... as a deposed, nationally-reputed Hash House Harrier RA living in self-exile, I have a keen interest in runners who don't take themselves seriously all the while making Olympic marathoners and Navy Seals look lazy and out-of-shape.

WARNING: If you can recite your last five Ironman, marathon, half-marathon and/or 10K finish times from memory, DO NOT WATCH this documentary as it will only act to deplete your perceived purpose in life and sense of self-being to absolute zero.  I repeat, unless you are run for any purpose other than to find beer, watching The Barkley Marathons is roughly equivalent to a 5 year-old boy screening The Joker by himself in a dark theater.

However, for those of us who closely identify with Calvin, the documentary will simply inspire feelings somewhere in the range between "meh" and "glad I chose another hobby."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #399 on: October 08, 2019, 03:17:07 PM »

He most certainly doesn’t appeal to cancel culture, which is the whole point of why I loved this special.  How insane it has gotten.  I worded it poorly.  Let’s try it this way.  In his shows he will talk about his disdain for certain people, shall we say, policy makers.  He will also talk about his bromance with one particular person.  That’s fine, his right.  Many other supporters of those stances are on the cancel culture crusade....he is not.  Hopefully that clears it up.
I hated hated hated that special.  I am a Chappelle fan, but about halfway through that special all I could think was "OK, I get it.  Now how 'bout you tell a flippin' joke?"  I actually quit watching it.  I also like Burr and while I didn't think his recent special was his best work, he made his point about PC culture/woke people and then moved on and started doing jokes.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.